Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Toy Story of Terror! (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #361

May 2015
United Kingdom

Big-bears about going to the movies is the lack of etiquette people have:

Kicking and hitting the back of seats
Feet on seats
Backlights on mobile phones
Mobile phones ringing and taking calls
Talking throughout the movie
Old 08-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #362
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

New one for me was sitting behind someone with an Apple watch. Not that the guy was doing anything annoying, but every time (a dozen or so) he scratched or touched the back of his head the sensor kicked on the backlight.
Panasonic PT-AE3000U : Yamaha RX-V863 : Infinity Beta 50 x 2 : Infinity Beta 360 : DefinitiveTech ProCinema 600 x4 : Infinity SW-12 : DefinitiveTech ProSub 600 : 80GB PS3 : 42" Vizio 1080p 120hz LCD : 119" Da-Lite Screen
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #363
Power Member

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Most of the annoyances tend to stem during evening matinees after say 7pm. It's especially bad with horror movies where there is always a sea of cell phones lit up all around the auditorium, along with people holding loud conversations or over reacting to each scene regardless of what's happening on screen. About the only remedy for this I've found is aiming for early morning matinees or watching movies aimed at a more mature crowd. For instance, the crowds for The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything were polite and didn't whip out a cell phone or yack once during either film.

A few pet peeves other than the ones I've already mentioned:

- couples who arrive really late and raise a loud fuss for everyone to make room for them.
- teens and young adults who hike their legs on the seat in front of you for the whole movie.
- parents who bring young children and infants into rated R movies.
- teens who look like they're holding a slumber party and always moving about or turning around in the side aisle seats near the front.
- people who sit directly in front of you in non-stadium seating cinemas when there are other options not directly blocking view.
- people who choose the seat next to you, in front of you, or behind you in an empty theater.
- people who yell out their own commentary or stage directions for the characters to follow.
- people who swap seats multiple times during the movie.
Detective Cameron: I got good news and bad news, girls. The good news is your dates are here.
Sorority Sister: What's the bad news?
Detective Cameron: They're dead.

Last edited by meremortal; 08-16-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #364
Special Member

Dec 2012
In and out of a lot of places. So glad I stream now.

I went to the movies Friday and someone actual pulled out there phone and called someone! what's worse they did it twice.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #365

Jan 2013
Texas

I remember I was seeing Evil Dead on opening weekend and this couple brought their toddler into the film, he must have been only 4 or 5. but the brought him to evil dead? of course, he started crying and screaming and they just sat there! then, I guess he wasn't scared anymore or something and he started running up and down the aisles!
huge movie fan
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #366
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

You know, all this stuff you guys encounter at commercial theaters, can become a thing of the past.
IF, you install a DLP projector in your home theaters.
There would be no need to go out to see a flick.

Problem solved!
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Thanks given by:
crazyBLUE (08-17-2015), Mr.Twinks (08-17-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #367
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Most of the annoyances tend to stem during evening matinees after say 7pm. It's especially bad with horror movies where there is always a sea of cell phones lit up all around the auditorium, along with people holding loud conversations or over reacting to each scene regardless of what's happening on screen. About the only remedy for this I've found is aiming for early morning matinees or watching movies aimed at a more mature crowd. For instance, the crowds for The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything were polite and didn't whip out a cell phone or yack once during either film.

A few pet peeves other than the ones I've already mentioned:

- couples who arrive really late and raise a loud fuss for everyone to make room for them.
- teens and young adults who hike their legs on the seat in front of you for the whole movie.
- parents who bring young children and infants into rated R movies.
- teens who look like they're holding a slumber party and always moving about or turning around in the side aisle seats near the front.
- people who sit directly in front of you in non-stadium seating cinemas when there are other options not directly blocking view.
- people who choose the seat next to you, in front of you, or behind you in an empty theater.

- people who yell out their own commentary or stage directions for the characters to follow.
- people who swap seats multiple times during the movie.
I'm sorry, but those 2 highlighted complaints are not valid... for 2 reasons.

#1. They paid just as much as you did and are entitled to sit wherever they feel is the best view. If you don't like it, you can create that empty seat barrier between the two of you. When you buy your ticket, you are paying for 1 seat, not 1 seat and the seat on either side of you. Now, if that person forces themselves into claiming the armrest (or worse, hangs over the armrest into your seat area) after you were there first? THAT would be a reason to complain.

#2. You never know how many people will be in the theatre for that showing. So, in the likelihood that there may be a large crowd, they'll probably get asked to move over anyhow to make room for others who want to sit in the "sweet spot" seats. So, why should they create a scenario whereby they could inconvenience several or more people in order to accommodate your "extended personal bubble?"

THIS is exactly why I love assigned seating theatres. The theatre won't let you leave 1 empty seat between you and someone else (not here anyways). It reduces the entitlement factor inherent with the "I need 3 seats to watch a film" attitude.

I do agree with everything else you listed though.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #368
Expert Member

May 2015
United Kingdom

Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #369
Special Member

Oct 2010
san diego california

Last week we saw the gift and some girl kept shining her light on her cell. My girlfriend got mad. And pushed her cell phone down so the light wouldn't keep hitting her. Told her to turn it off.

It wasn't on again the rest of the show
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #370
Suspended

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkash View Post
I went to the movies Friday and someone actual pulled out there phone and called someone! what's worse they did it twice.
And this is the point where you go out and tell management to remove them from the theater. Very simple.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #371
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post

#1. They paid just as much as you did and are entitled to sit wherever they feel is the best view. If you don't like it, you can create that empty seat barrier between the two of you. When you buy your ticket, you are paying for 1 seat, not 1 seat and the seat on either side of you. Now, if that person forces themselves into claiming the armrest (or worse, hangs over the armrest into your seat area) after you were there first? THAT would be a reason to complain.

#2. You never know how many people will be in the theatre for that showing. So, in the likelihood that there may be a large crowd, they'll probably get asked to move over anyhow to make room for others who want to sit in the "sweet spot" seats. So, why should they create a scenario whereby they could inconvenience several or more people in order to accommodate your "extended personal bubble?"

THIS is exactly why I love assigned seating theatres. The theatre won't let you leave 1 empty seat between you and someone else (not here anyways). It reduces the entitlement factor inherent with the "I need 3 seats to watch a film" attitude.

I do agree with everything else you listed though.
I don't agree. Whenever I get to the theatre I make a conscience effort not to sit in front of someone. It's just common curiosity. That is unless the theatre is packed and I have no choice. Then all bets are off. Off course if the theatre is packed I don't have a problem of eliminating the "extended personal bubble" and really don't mind if someone is sitting next to me if it's crowded.

I'm not crazy about assigned seating. If it's at popular showtimes, then you have to plan way in advance to get tickets. Otherwise, you won't get tickets or you'll have the worst seat in the house. It's not bad if you plan in advance but it sucks for a last minute option.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #372
Power Member

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Very valid points as there's certainly no such thing as seat entitlement. However, I will slightly tweak that last sentence to say that I find it disrespectful when physically fit folks arrive very early and claim the seats near the front unofficially designated for wheelchair patrons and less-able bodied viewers. And I'll concede that some folks generally just do want a good seat without trying to be rude. Also, when I say people sitting very close in proximity during an empty theater I'm talking more of experiences during early morning and afternoon showings with predictably smaller attendances or low demand movies that struggle to bring in a crowd of more than a handful of people per show. I can fully understand how people during later afternoon and evening showings will think less of this when choosing a seat as they may assume the theater will become packed like sardines.
Detective Cameron: I got good news and bad news, girls. The good news is your dates are here.
Sorority Sister: What's the bad news?
Detective Cameron: They're dead.

Last edited by meremortal; 08-16-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #373
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
I don't agree. Whenever I get to the theatre I make a conscience effort not to sit in front of someone. It's just common curiosity. That is unless the theatre is packed and I have no choice.
I think of myself as being a very polite person, but I pay for my seat which in NYC is a pretty expensive seat ($14 to $22) and I head for the ideal center seat. If I'm going to pay to go to a movie, I want the most perfect picture and sound experience I can achieve. I don't care who is front of me or behind me. If it's a stadium theater, it shouldn't make a difference anyway. And if they don't like me being there, THEY can move. Theaters which have converted to lounge seating are also mostly reserved seat, so you pick your seat when you buy your ticket and once you do that there's no choice anyway. The thing I don't like about those lounge seating theaters is that there's very few ideal seats.

My experience over the last few years in NYC theaters is that people are much better with their phones - it's rare that one goes off during a movie. People use them during the ads and trailers, but they pretty much keep them off during the film. There was a woman in front of me during either Gravity or Interstellar (saw them both in the same theatre and can't remember which time it happened), who started looking at her phone and the third time she did it, I leaned over and said, "please give me a break - that's glaring in my eyes". She walked out and didn't come back.

I actually find that the worst audiences are the very elderly. They tend to make loud comments during the movie and since some are partially senile, telling them to shut up frequently doesn't work. I used to like to sneak into a movie during the day, but I don't do it anymore because it's mainly an elderly audience if I go to a local theater.

Of course if one stays away from the dumb popcorn and comic book movies, you tend to get a better audience. On the other hand, it's a lot more exciting to see such a film with an excited audience.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #374
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
Underworld54, I've had a guy threaten to kill me out in the lobby at the local main theater because I asked his girlfriend to put away her cellphone during The Hangover Part II. So, I've stayed away from the theater as much as I can and go to the local dollar theater. I'm paranoid about going back there, I saw The Thing twice over there and I am going to catch Star Wars 3D tomorrow afternoon.
omg, how horrible! People can't handle silence anymore, in terms of not talking with each other, even in a movie theater. :/
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #375
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Some old guy behind me at the movie touched my head
[Show spoiler]and kept kicking my seat during Ricki and the Flash. If I weren't sitting with my family I would've gotten up and said something to him.
Joe
Thanks given by:
Darth Anakin (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #376
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Bottle City of Kandor
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
LOL Adrian Beltre is far worse than I am but I love it.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19

Last edited by Darth Anakin; 08-17-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 AM   #377

Dec 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
LOL Carlos Beltre is far worse than I am but I love it.
Adrian Beltre
Blufans VIP

Last edited by jeffster15; 08-17-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Thanks given by:
althus (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 02:19 AM   #378

Sep 2013

2 experiences that happened over 13+ years ago that stopped me from going to Fri/Sat night time showings. These days, I pretty much stick to early time showings, typically between 11am to 2pm on Sat or Sun. Usually these crowds are pretty respectful for the most part, and that's how I see movies now. I'll probably break my rule for Star Wars and go to the Thurs 7pm showing, I'm so excited I can't wait for it. I'm hoping that'll be a fun excited crowd to see the movie and there shouldn't be any problems.

The 1st really bad experience was for a Friday night showing of Minority Report where it was a packed theater. We were sitting near the back row of the theater and at the top row in the center there was this girl talking on her cell phone the entire time. Not watching the movie at all. People began shushing her but she wouldn't stop. I still can't understand why she went to the movie till this day. Obviously someone brought her, and who ever did couldn't stop her. What a waste of money and it ruined peoples experience with the movie.

The 2nd really bad experience happened when I went to see Hulk (2003) and some kid kept kicking the back of my seat. Kept pushing back, looking back, asked him to stop and he kept on doing it. Still annoys me to this day when people kick the back of your seat. Just so rude and inconsiderate.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 AM   #379
Special Member

Feb 2009

After my last bad experience at a film, I'm careful of which showings I choose. If it's a newly released movie, I'll take in a later showing because the crowds are much lighter and it's quieter.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #380

Aug 2007
DC Metro Area
Send a message via AIM to JMDiaz718 Send a message via Yahoo to JMDiaz718
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozacnation1978 View Post
Last week we saw the gift and some girl kept shining her light on her cell. My girlfriend got mad. And pushed her cell phone down so the light wouldn't keep hitting her. Told her to turn it off.

It wasn't on again the rest of the show
Pretty ballsy. Lucky you guys weren't shot. I wouldn't lay my hands on a stranger, in a dark theater.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies