Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Soon: Paul Blart: Mall Cop ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
5 hrs ago
The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Riddick (Blu-ray)
$6.96
4 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
7 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
4 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
4 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
About Time (Blu-ray)
$8.00
4 hrs ago
Spartacus: War of the Damned - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Nov 2009
Jacksonville, FL.
Default Redbox and 3D rentals

I didnt see a thread on this, if there is one, please merge.

I have emailed redbox concerning 3D rentals, theyhave responded that they have no plans at this time to rent 3D blu's

I wonder if they started to get a bunch of emails from 3D enthusiasts if they would change there mind, so i propose we get as many people to start emailing redbox to cary 3D blu's

any one else on board with this.

I myself have already sent 2 emails, 1 from me and 1 from my wife
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Eh, at this point I own every 3d blu out that i want so from now on i will just be buying the 3 or 4 a month that interest me.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

I CAN'T own every 3D Blu (and between Gulliver's Travels and Immortals, I'm not sure I want to...), but I appreciate the real situation:
Netflix won't rent them, because they've got enough troubles with PR and studio acquisition at the moment.
Redbox won't stock them, because most of their demographic doesn't even rent Blu-ray to begin with.

Welcome to 1997, when even your corner Blockbuster, wealthy and fat on VHS and Nintendo rentals, didn't bother to stock those new niche-fad DVD things.
In those days, we "niche" early-adopters found our own underground, like this new little company out in California that would mail out rentals for $8 a pop, instead of our going out and buying them for $39.95.

As it turns out, we 3D fans have got our own underground of mail rentals for THOSE, too.
Blockbuster eventually turned around and had to eat crow when The Matrix came out on DVD...Our day for 3D is coming too, but history teaches us, it's always the chains that are the last to convert.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Nov 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I CAN'T own every 3D Blu (and between Gulliver's Travels and Immortals, I'm not sure I want to...), but I appreciate the real situation:
Netflix won't rent them, because they've got enough troubles with PR and studio acquisition at the moment.
Redbox won't stock them, because most of their demographic doesn't even rent Blu-ray to begin with.

Welcome to 1997, when even your corner Blockbuster, wealthy and fat on VHS and Nintendo rentals, didn't bother to stock those new niche-fad DVD things.
In those days, we "niche" early-adopters found our own underground, like this new little company out in California that would mail out rentals for $8 a pop, instead of our going out and buying them for $39.95.

As it turns out, we 3D fans have got our own underground of mail rentals for THOSE, too.
Blockbuster eventually turned around and had to eat crow when The Matrix came out on DVD...Our day for 3D is coming too, but history teaches us, it's always the chains that are the last to convert.
There are a couple of sites that rent 3d blus that you may want to try. And is Immortals that bad? I was looking forward to seeing this. Definitely wasn't on my 'to buy' list, but I thought it might at least be worth a rental.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

Nov 2009
Jacksonville, FL.

i know there are other sites out there, but i wold rather have a redbox option, i know its a long shot, but i have found that if enough people contact a company it can have an amazong effect
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post
i know there are other sites out there, but i wold rather have a redbox option, i know its a long shot, but i have found that if enough people contact a company it can have an amazong effect
The problem is the limited space in the box and the percentage of people who would rent 3D Blu-rays. 3D currently is a niche market and I doubt they currently could recover their investment renting 3D Blu-rays. Hopefully in a few years the percentage of people buying 3D Blu-ray discs will increase to a level where this makes economic sense to Redbox.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

QuikFlix does it in Australia.

Not that it helps...
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

Nov 2009
Jacksonville, FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
The problem is the limited space in the box and the percentage of people who would rent 3D Blu-rays. 3D currently is a niche market and I doubt they currently could recover their investment renting 3D Blu-rays. Hopefully in a few years the percentage of people buying 3D Blu-ray discs will increase to a level where this makes economic sense to Redbox.
im not saying that redbox will bow to a few emails, but like the old adage "nothing ventured, nothing gained"

yes 3D is niche, there are still alot of people who feel blu ray is niche.

i feel as though if redbox see's there is a demand it may make then at least look into it, and possible do a test run or somthing
Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Suspended

Mar 2011

I just found out that you can use their Promo Codes each time you rent a movie from them, seems like it would hurt their company lol
Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #10

Feb 2012
Default 3Dparty.org rents blu-ray 3D movies - cheap

If you need to rent blu-ray 3D movies, check 3Dparty.org. We have low prices and fast shipping. No late fees. What else do you need.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #11

Nov 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I just found out that you can use their Promo Codes each time you rent a movie from them, seems like it would hurt their company lol
Whatchu talking' bout, Willis?!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #12

Oct 2009
nYc

ok so its been over a year and still no easily to rent 3d blurays. its annoying.

i rented dredd from redbox the other night and was super happy and surprised when the disc actually had the 3d and 2d version on it. I feel like thats the real future of the format... 3d discs are just too expensive and not that many people have the TVs for it.

I see the same thing happening w/ 3d thats happening with BD/DVD lately: combo packs, so people want to buy them to future proof their movie, and it may motivate them to upgrade.

have said that, i would not mind sending them a few emails, anyone else down?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by postulio View Post
ok so its been over a year and still no easily to rent 3d blurays. its annoying.
Well, there's still http://www.3d-blurayrental.com , if that helps.

(I feel guilty that I haven't used them in months, because every big rental title I've wanted to watch has been showing up for free on our local library system.
Some library in the state wants to get a copy of Frankenweenie or Brave for the kiddie section, they buy the four-disk Blu3D+Blu combo just so they'll get "every" version for the shelf, and well, whaddya know...)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #14

Oct 2009
nYc

Quote:
Well, there's still http://www.3d-blurayrental.com , if that helps.

(I feel guilty that I haven't used them in months, because every big rental title I've wanted to watch has been showing up for free on our local library system.
Some library in the state wants to get a copy of Frankenweenie or Brave for the kiddie section, they buy the four-disk Blu3D+Blu combo just so they'll get "every" version for the shelf, and well, whaddya know...)
Hmm interesting, I think I will check out a local library and see if they have some 3d movies.

I really like 3d but its artificially overpriced. if only it was like $15 for a 3d bluray i'd be in heaven and i'm sure sales would really pick up.

6-8$ to rent a movie? that is insane. i buy entire movies for this or less.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Texas Chainsaw 3D comes out in a few weeks. We know that the 3d and the 2d will be on the same disc(like Dredd), so I'm hoping we can rent it at Redbox. To my knowledge, there is no 2d only release, so here's hoping
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Banned

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
Texas Chainsaw 3D comes out in a few weeks. We know that the 3d and the 2d will be on the same disc(like Dredd), so I'm hoping we can rent it at Redbox. To my knowledge, there is no 2d only release, so here's hoping
Dredd on redbox was a full BR w the 3D version?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by postulio View Post
6-8$ to rent a movie? that is insane. i buy entire movies for this or less.
That's pretty much equal to their streaming/download prices on PSN and Vudu, so you at least get the advantage of hard-disk quality. (And that's assuming it's on PSN and Vudu, unlike rare titles like Cirque:Worlds, Dial M or next June's mass-market Creature.)
Not to mention the obvious plus of NOT paying $35 just to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novartis View Post
Think the only Lionsgate version of Dredd WAS a single hybrid disk, or was there a 2D only version?
Like the 1-disk hybrid Cave of Forgotten Dreams, think this one slipped in the catalog incognito. That doesn't suggest Redbox is "changing policy", just that they don't look too carefully.

Last edited by EricJ; 04-18-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #18

Apr 2011
LA, CA
Default Dredd 3D rental at Redbox & Netflix

---

Dredd is a special case. There is only one disc. it contains 2d and 3d. It's a short movie, which makes this possible. Also, it was not successful in theaters, so they probably want to minimize the production cost of the discs. It's really a pretty fun movie. Definitely worth the rental.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xireaux View Post
Dredd is a special case. There is only one disc. it contains 2d and 3d. It's a short movie, which makes this possible. Also, it was not successful in theaters, so they probably want to minimize the production cost of the discs. It's really a pretty fun movie. Definitely worth the rental.
Karl Urban's good as the character, even if the movie itself is a bit on the cheap, and going most for the generic gunplay-action.
The 3D's a bit thin, but some nice shots looking down the apartment-tower balconies.

(There's a documentary on the original UK comic and its looney over-the-top Reagan/Thatcher-era satire of 70's-80's US, and I realized: Between this and the Stallone movie, we already HAD the definitive Judge Dredd movie...It was called "Robocop". )
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #20

Oct 2009
nYc

Quote:
That's pretty much equal to their streaming/download prices on PSN and Vudu, so you at least get the advantage of hard-disk quality. (And that's assuming it's on PSN and Vudu, unlike rare titles like Cirque:Worlds, Dial M or next June's mass-market Creature.)
Not to mention the obvious plus of NOT paying $35 just to see it.
I'm not sure what you are talking about here... i dont rent shit on PSN or Vudu either. waste of money. like I said, i can BUY a bluray for about 6$ if i shop smart enough. my average price of all my movies is $8.43

Quote:
Karl Urban's good as the character, even if the movie itself is a bit on the cheap, and going most for the generic gunplay-action.
The 3D's a bit thin, but some nice shots looking down the apartment-tower balconies.

(There's a documentary on the original UK comic and its looney over-the-top Reagan/Thatcher-era satire of 70's-80's US, and I realized: Between this and the Stallone movie, we already HAD the definitive Judge Dredd movie...It was called "Robocop". )
Yeah I thought the Dredd disk was awesome from redbox. you got the 2d/3d as well as a pretty damn good documentary.

I dont knwo what other releases there are but the redbox is in fact 3d. I actually really liked the movie. It isnt winning any awards for plot but it was a very very good action movie, bonus points for being in 3d
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion