COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Americano (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.78
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Hide and Seek (Blu-ray)
$7.41
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 11-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Arrow The HOBBIT: The Desolation of Smaug 3D Pre-orders inc. Extended

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition 3D

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D Extended Edition Blu-ray w/ Statue

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D Blu-ray

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D Blu-ray

Just saw another TV spot trailer for The HOBBIT: The Desolation of Smaug. Looks great for the action, though they don't emphasize the story much at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hob...ation_of_Smaug

161 minutes theatrical version of Hobbit part II.
Budget was around $200 million.

A new character Tauriel not in the books will join the cast, along with the appearance of a younger Legolas, not in the book. With 3 films, as a huge fan of JRR Tolkien, I don't mind as long as it feeds back into the main story line. I'll pretend it was a side story taking place during the main plot, which is likely how it was done.

Once again, most of it was filmed in 3D aside from the CGI 3D rendering.

December 13, 2013
December 12, 2013 New Zealand

Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman, was also from Immortals as Zeus (character's name?).

Can't wait!

OFF TOPIC: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor PS4, XB1, PS3, 360, PC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-...adow_of_Mordor

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is an Open World Action game taking place in Middle Earth prior to The Lord of the Rings, much as the Hobbit does in the timeline. Game Informer Issue 248 lists a cover article on it. Looks very promising for 2014. In time for the 3rd Hobbit movie hopefully.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-07-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
It doesn't come out until a few days to 2014 in my country
Australia is practically 3rd world so no surprises there

Will head down to this early December without a doubt.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
It doesn't come out until a few days to 2014 in my country
That's a bummer about the delay in Australia, but at least it's still December 2013.

For the 3D, it looks like we'll get a consistent quality throughout the three movies. I like what was accomplished with Part I Hobbit, especially during the underground Goblin scene, which really stood out for the 3D. Will have to watch it again before Hobbit part II.

For the third part of The Hobbit which was announced what seemed long after the first two were already in production, I can only imagine it'll be a possible
[Show spoiler]conclusion of the War between the Dwarves, Townspeople, Goblins and the Elves over the ownership of the gold from the Lonely Mountain, or segue towards the Fellowship of the Rings using the Appendix of Return of the King, while still keeping the focus on where the Ring ends up.

In the Return of the King book, pages 349-481 are all about the backstory ot the Lord of the Rings, so that is a good amount to work with if it boils down to it.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

Feb 2012

Seen an interview with Andy serkis and he said pt 1 was gollums only appearance.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Power Member

May 2009

Yep, no more Gollum. They wanted his last appearance to be the Riddles in the Dark sequence, wise choice I think.
I doubt we'll see much "bridging" into Fellowship in film 3.
All 3D reviews should list the equipment it was viewed on.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Power Member

May 2009

True, but we already know he got captured and what would the point of showing it? Just be like, "hey here's gollum again!". It would cheapen what they've already said they wanted his final appearance to be.
Anything is possible though.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Power Member

May 2009

All?

I would argue that many of them (white council, more dwarf characterization, flashback to battle of Moria) are crucial to the story and have to be seen in order to understand the greater events happening in Middle Earth around this time and in order to make the dwarves more than just a bunch of colored hoods.

There were many more drastic changes made to Fellowship and all of the Rings trilogy and yet you rarely hear anyone mention them.

Anyone familiar with the history of The Hobbit knows that Tolkien tried to rewrite the Hobbit to include all of the events he wanted to include once he figured out where it was going and where The Hobbit fit into the overall story of Middle Earth but he was unsuccessful. He later explained much of it in the Appendices to the Return of the King, much of which the filmmakers put into The Hobbit film to mesh more with the author's overall vision.
It's a shame they didn't have the rights to "Unfinished tales" as they'd have had even more history and background for these films.

Azog is a problem for me, though. The character just doesn't look or feel like he belongs.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Azog acts as an extra tension to Thorin Oakenshield (the main dwarf)'s group and can tie into each film as a consistent enemy and reminder of the future battles against the Orcs, aside from Smaug himself, who is the main villain though admittedly with a passive role until confronted.

I enjoy what's happening with the story with his villain character, but I can understand why it might bother some.

Quote:
The third film is going to be really really interesting. Gollum has to return I think. Gollum needs to go after the ring and then get captured so we know he was being held all that time and not going after the ring until all those years latter.
I would really like to see, in the third film which they had to shoot new footage after the third's announcement after the first two seemed to be set already, some details leading up to
[Show spoiler]Gollum's approach and capture, interrogation in Mordor as hinted at in Fellowship of the Rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoagogo69 View Post
Seen an interview with Andy serkis and he said pt 1 was gollums only appearance.
When was the interview? Only asking just in case it was before the third film's story and on the set photography began. There's a chance they could write it in.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Power Member

May 2009

I know why Azog is there, I just don't get why they had to change it from BOLG to AZOG. BOLG was AZOGs son and when Azog was killed he swore vengeance against Thorin, and we all know how that eventually turned out for our poor King Under the Mountain.
Also Gollum wasn't being held all that time, he wasn't prisoner in Mordor for the 60 years, he was out wandering, looking for the ring.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfArathorn View Post
I know why Azog is there, I just don't get why they had to change it from BOLG to AZOG. BOLG was AZOGs son and when Azog was killed he swore vengeance against Thorin, and we all know how that eventually turned out for our poor King Under the Mountain.
Also Gollum wasn't being held all that time, he wasn't prisoner in Mordor for the 60 years, he was out wandering, looking for the ring.
I see what you're saying.

I'll have to re-read the Appendix of ROTK before part II next Friday.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

I was listening to the commentary on the extended cut and their reasoning for making it Azog instead of Bolg was actually pretty reasonable. Their argument was that it just seemed odd to thrust all the impact of Azog as a villain onto his son and that when Bolg would meet Thorin, it wouldn't have the same dramatic resonance.

And while I mention it I did FINALLY get the extended edtion of An Unexpected Journey in 3D (No Black Friday sale, wt****!!!???? Still, I don't regret paying the 40 bucks on Amazon that I did as the movie probably won't go on sale again for ages and I had to have it finally before the sequel lol) and am loving it!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Banned

Feb 2012

Quote:
I was just browsing the reviews and they are all really positive, they say the 3D and pacing is a lot better. Much more action Some are even comparing it to Empire Strikes back, The Two Towers and Godfater part II. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
That makes me 100x more hyped.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Jan 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
I was just browsing the reviews and they are all really positive, they say the 3D and pacing is a lot better. Much more action Some are even comparing it to Empire Strikes back, The Two Towers and Godfater part II. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Imax day one for me, can't wait either!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I was listening to the commentary on the extended cut and their reasoning for making it Azog instead of Bolg was actually pretty reasonable. Their argument was that it just seemed odd to thrust all the impact of Azog as a villain onto his son and that when Bolg would meet Thorin, it wouldn't have the same dramatic resonance.

And while I mention it I did FINALLY get the extended edtion of An Unexpected Journey in 3D (No Black Friday sale, wt****!!!???? Still, I don't regret paying the 40 bucks on Amazon that I did as the movie probably won't go on sale again for ages and I had to have it finally before the sequel lol) and am loving it!
Thanks for the info Mseeley. I see the extended version is now on sale for $22.99 at
[Show spoiler] Just kidding.

What would you say was added to the movie for the extra 13 minutes? Thanks.
Azog is an awesome villain in the first Hobbit. I hope we get a great confrontation in part 2 this Friday.

Quote:
Nice! Sounds good. Cinemark has a lot of their theater times already posted and many showings will have HFR 3D for Hobbit part II.

Should be a fun experience. Looking forward to it, and likely the blu ray 3D disc by spring 2014.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #15
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thanks for the info Mseeley. I see the extended version is now on sale for $22.99 at
[Show spoiler] Just kidding.

What would you say was added to the movie for the extra 13 minutes? Thanks.
Azog is an awesome villain in the first Hobbit. I hope we get a great confrontation in part 2 this Friday.

Nice! Sounds good. Cinemark has a lot of their theater times already posted and many showings will have HFR 3D for Hobbit part II.

Should be a fun experience. Looking forward to it, and likely the blu ray 3D disc by spring 2014.

LOL!!!!!! I would've died if that was true lmao!

Anyway with the extended cut, you get more dialogue regarding the history of characters and Middle Earth, more Hobbiton, more Rivendell (including a fantastic scene with Bilbo just walking around Rivendell and in the chamber with the shards of Narsil and the painting of Sauron and Isildur), more Goblin King, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting but sadly no extended action beats

The review from Ign had me hyped already and hearing those other comparisons is sending my hype-o-meter into the stratosphere lol!!!

Also I was listening to Leo Laporte the Tech Guy on the radio yesterday and his special guest host, Scott Wilkinson of Home Theater Magazine( I think that's where he's from lol), saw the Desolation of Smaug in HFR 3D and he said the 48 fps experience is alot more consistent and closer to what the filmmakers envision the full potential of HFR to be. These claims have me crazy excited to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in HFR 3D (which I was already going to view it in, as a huge fan of the process after seeing the first Hobbit that way like 3 times lol )!

We're in for an epic ride this weekend methinks
Old 12-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #16

Dec 2013

Can't wait to see this. Anyone picking up the 3D glasses @ best buy?
TV: Samsung PN51E550 Receiver: Yamaha RX-V373 Front: Polk Monitor 60 Series ll Center: Klipsch Surround: Polk T15 Blu-Ray Player: PS3 80GB DVR: DirecTV Genie Remote: Logitech Harmony 700
Roll Tide
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Good deal for a pre order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
LOL!!!!!! I would've died if that was true lmao!

Anyway with the extended cut, you get more dialogue regarding the history of characters and Middle Earth, more Hobbiton, more Rivendell (including a fantastic scene with Bilbo just walking around Rivendell and in the chamber with the shards of Narsil and the painting of Sauron and Isildur), more Goblin King, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting but sadly no extended action beats

The review from Ign had me hyped already and hearing those other comparisons is sending my hype-o-meter into the stratosphere lol!!!

Also I was listening to Leo Laporte the Tech Guy on the radio yesterday and his special guest host, Scott Wilkinson of Home Theater Magazine( I think that's where he's from lol), saw the Desolation of Smaug in HFR 3D and he said the 48 fps experience is alot more consistent and closer to what the filmmakers envision the full potential of HFR to be. These claims have me crazy excited to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in HFR 3D (which I was already going to view it in, as a huge fan of the process after seeing the first Hobbit that way like 3 times lol )!

We're in for an epic ride this weekend methinks
Cool, thanks very much for the detailed information regarding the extended version; that helps, thank you Mseeley. The Goblin King was really nicely done. His voice and gully under his chin remind me of the Chef Alien character in the Diner with the 4 arms that helped Obi Wan in Episode II Star Wars.
For the Lord of the Rings, the best and most worthwhile extended version IMO would be Return of the King. Lots of great extended shots in that and a lot of extra detail with the additions of the Mouth of Sauron, The Witch King confronting Gandalf, more fighting during the battles, etc.

They are showing a commercial TV ad on Hobbit Part 2 just as I was typing this. Channel Fox during the sci fi show Almost Human with Karl Urban (who played Eomer from Gondor in Lord of the Rings). It highlights a lot of the review quotes.

Yeah, this one should be great. I can only imagine how this one will end to lead into part III. I'm guessing based on the book,
[Show spoiler]Smaug will be finished with the Bard's arrow, and we'll get to see the start of the war over the gold in the Lonely Mountain between the Goblins, Elves and Dwarves.
Should be very interesting how it's handled.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Power Member

May 2009

Eomer was from Rohan.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
Can't wait to see this. Anyone picking up the 3D glasses @ best buy?
I didn't hear about this. Is this with a pre order of the disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfArathorn View Post
Eomer was from Rohan.
You know your Tolkien history.
You're right, Rohan, not Gondor. Also just reread part of 100 plus pages of the Appendix (ROTK) again based on what you mentioned earlier and as you said, Azog
[Show spoiler]gets beheaded on the battlefield with the dwarves, with no mention of him going after Thorin as he does in the movies, so even though the filmmakers explained their reasons for it, I see what you're saying about Azog's new storyline.

Hopefully the potential snow storms don't hold a lot of people from seeing the movie this weekend.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoagogo69 View Post
This was true for part 2 anyway.

Hobbit Part 2 3D: HFR 48 fps Mini Review:

3D in Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug: Much like Part I, Mostly medium 3D with some mild 3D throughout. It's a dimly lit movie for part II, so that makes mild 3D harder to appreciate. The 3D does the job, but not much more if compared to stronger 3D films. Even so, still looks good for what we get with the 3D. The 48 Frames per second motion I enjoyed in part I, but here it took me about 10 minutes to adapt to after rewatching Part I 3D the night before seeing this. Looks good, though I don't mind 24 fps either.

Movie: Though I enjoy the first one slightly more, part II is a solid middle movie to segue into the third, though with less story and more action scenes it seems, while the ending here
[Show spoiler]leaves people hanging for those who haven't read the books.
Legolas and Tamriel had what seems like 80% or more of the action scenes, though they were very slick in battle against the Orcs so I don't mind. Azog was downplayed but saved for the third movie. Nice job with Smaug the Dragon.

Thorin Oakenshield, much like in the book, is very grim (hardly cracks a smile ever) and determined to reclaim his gold.

3D PREVIEWS before the Hobbit 2:
Jupiter Ascending (2D preview of a 3D movie) from the Creators of the Matrix Trilogy. Sean Bean plays a mentor type figure to Tatum Channing (or Channing Tatum). Looks interesting.
Rio 2 3D: Strong 3D
Amazing Spider Man 2 3D: Upper Medium 3D looks great here along with the movie. Can't wait and I wasn't a big fan of the first reboot. Much better 3D this time even during dialog scenes. Converted if I remember this round.
Sleeping Beauty Witch 3D (Forget the title): Medium 3D. Looks interesting starring Angelina Jolie as the evil turned good witch with the horns.
47 Ronin: Medium 3D. The shot with the red mask has some weird 3D going on probably due to a post convergence editing error.
Nuts 3D: Medium 3D. About squirrels and mice with references to Lord of the Rings.

2D ONLY:
Edge of Tomorrow: Tom Cruise sci fi action only in 2D. No 3D version. Looks interesting.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies