Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.49

Secret of the Wings 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.99
4 hrs ago
Archer: The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99

American Sniper (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Life of Pi (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
The Interview (Blu-ray)
$13.59

The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Office Space (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
2015 Allstate Sugar Bowl (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Book of Life 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom
Thumbs down Mr and Mrs Smith - PG-13

Looks like FOX is continuously screwing up it's catalog titles by releasing the PG-13 version and not the unrated one. Really bad for the consumers who are forced to spend a lot especially on their titles.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Seattle, WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Looks like FOX is continuously screwing up it's catalog titles by releasing the PG-13 version and not the unrated one. Really bad for the consumers who are forced to spend a lot especially on their titles.
Did they release the Unrated version on DVD again?
JVC 1080p 70" TV, Onkyo 805 Receiver, Panny BD30 Blu-ray Player, Infinity Tower Speakers & Center Channel, Boston Acoustic Tower Surrounds, Definitive Audio "Reference Series" SuperCube 1800 Watt Subwoofer.

Hobbies: Theoretical Quantum Physics/Mechanics, String Theory Supportive Evidence, Particle Accelerator Dark Matter/Dark Energy Gravity Wave Confinements in linear Space/Time displacement fields, Sub-Atomic Particle Annihilation and Micro-Black Hole hyper gravity analysis.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
You do realize that this is the "theatrical" release don't you? Most people are interested in seeing the theatrical release because that is what they know.

I would have rather had the theatrical version of Talladega Nights rather than the so-called Unrated and Uncut version which had some scenes missing from the theatrical release.
less than 100 now most given to Salvation Army Blu-rays
Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Macon Georgia

Quote:
Ummm...I've owned both on DVD and I can tell you the Unrated version doesn't have anything in it that contributes to the story at all. Also it's only 5 minutes longer than the PG-13 version.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
You do realize that this is the "theatrical" release don't you? Most people are interested in seeing the theatrical release because that is what they know.

I would have rather had the theatrical version of Talladega Nights rather than the so-called Unrated and Uncut version which had some scenes missing from the theatrical release.
That might be true but with a 50GB disc and seamless branching it shouldn't be that hard to make a Blu-ray disc with the theatrical and unrated cuts on it. Hell, Close Encounters did it easily with 3 versions of the same movie.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 AM   #6

Aug 2007

I don't see a problem with fox decison to release the pg-13 version. If by some unforseen reason HDDVD win this was, then they'll have the option to re release it on that format as the unrated version. When HDDVD lose this war, Fox will have the option to release that movie on Blu ray again as the unrated version and generate more profit. As long as I have the best picture quality and sound i don't worry about if it's rated or unrated. If it has extras or not.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2007
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrooks1 View Post
That might be true but with a 50GB disc and seamless branching it shouldn't be that hard to make a Blu-ray disc with the theatrical and unrated cuts on it. Hell, Close Encounters did it easily with 3 versions of the same movie.
+1 also Bad Santa put 2 versions on 1 disc.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Considering the high pricing of FOX titles it's better that they include both versions with seamless branching like many of you suggested avoiding consumers from double dipping. To me FOX has been the worst BD exclusive studio.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #9

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggarichie View Post
I don't see a problem with fox decison to release the pg-13 version. If by some unforseen reason HDDVD win this was, then they'll have the option to re release it on that format as the unrated version. When HDDVD lose this war, Fox will have the option to release that movie on Blu ray again as the unrated version and generate more profit. As long as I have the best picture quality and sound i don't worry about if it's rated or unrated. If it has extras or not.
HDDVDer already have the unrated version polish import same price has US one.
Format neutral not anymore LOL
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Just like with "Live Free or Die Hard", double dip baby!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Why double dip on expensive HDM formats ?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

they should just do both or a third version like bad santa 3 versions of the film the Big screen one, directors cut, extended unrated make everyone happy and just do that for every movie
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Except for the cost of doing it, which is large, and the time required

Quote:
Considering the high pricing of FOX titles it's better that they include both versions with seamless branching like many of you suggested avoiding consumers from double dipping
The entire video industry, from the VHS days has been based around getting you to buy the same thing again and again

Quote:
Just like with "Live Free or Die Hard", double dip baby!
Except that was simply a time issue. There was not enough time from the completion of the unrated to get it on Blu.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
To me FOX has been the worst BD exclusive studio.
Totally disagree. The recent Fox releases (Mr. Brooks, Silver Surfer, DH4, Prison Break) have the most outstanding PQ I have seen. I have gotten so spoiled watching these that I almost can't bear watching anything else.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Ireland

I really do not understand the anti-FOX BD on here. For the most part their PQ and AQ have been awesome. So what if they want to double dip. Its part of the fun of collecting movies. Have none of you guys got multiple versions of one movie. I know i do and this will not be the first time.

If you want to be critical of BD releases look no further than WB who's releases have been a serious mixed bag. Some have been great some not so good and we are still not getting enough HD-audio on much of their releases.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I really do not understand the anti-FOX BD on here. For the most part their PQ and AQ have been awesome. So what if they want to double dip. Its part of the fun of collecting movies. Have none of you guys got multiple versions of one movie. I know i do and this will not be the first time.

If you want to be critical of BD releases look no further than WB who's releases have been a serious mixed bag. Some have been great some not so good and we are still not getting enough HD-audio on much of their releases.
I think you are being kind to Warner in saying their releases have been a mixed bag. In my opinion their PQ is pretty consistently mediocre to poor.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Ireland

Well the Harry Potter (last movie) was pretty good.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #18

Aug 2007

Quote:

I Agree with you, I can't count the amount of Warner BDs i looked at in Best buy and decided not to purchase because of the specs. I'm not talking about extras, because I don't waste time on that, but as soon as i looked at the 5.1 audio and i know that all my other movies from the other studios on blu ray are in uncompress or DTS HD Ma. I just can't bring myself to throw away my hard earn $30
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Well the Harry Potter (last movie) was pretty good.
I haven't seen it yet.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #20
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:

I think the red side has conspired to pick on Fox.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America