Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Fringe: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$67.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA
Thumbs up The Secret World of Arrietty (2012) Blu-ray Review

The Secret World of Arrietty Blu-ray

The Secret World of Arrietty Blu-ray Rebiew

No official release date has been announced yet, but the Amazon.com placeholder page has been updated with what I am assuming is official artwork:

I'm glad to see that Disney is sticking with the already established blue and gold Studio Ghibli collection cover/spine that they established with Ponyo and Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind.

I am really looking forward to this release and desperately hoping Disney releases a catalog title alongside it!

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-03-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

If they don't release a catalog title alongside it, I doubt Disney ever issues another Studio Ghibli backcatalog title on BD.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
If they don't release a catalog title alongside it, I doubt Disney ever issues another Studio Ghibli backcatalog title on BD.
Wow, I really like Nausicaa too, hope they bring out another one alongside this, just wonder which one it would be. Best guess is Princess Mononoke.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Special Member

Apr 2010
Rochester, NY

Beautiful movie, beautiful artwork. Saw it the 2nd day in the theater and definitely best movies of the year so far. BTW I know it's really a 2010 movie. Hopefully if they do release a Studio Ghibli catalog title, it's My Neighbor Totoro.
Blu-Ray Total: 479
Slipcover Total: 234
Steelbook Total: 30
Stay up to date with my hauls, reviews and other movie news at MNMreviews and WeLiveFilm
Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Banned

Dec 2009

Quote:
Disney already have Arriety, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Whispers of the Heart, and My Neighbor the Yamadas released on Blu in the UK so I don't know why they wouldn't release them here too.

edit: actually I'm wrong (see two posts below) apparently Optimum Home Entertainment does those releases. Got confused since they labeled theirs The Studio Ghibli Collection the same place where Disne puts their Studio Ghibli banner

Last edited by ssjmichael; 03-04-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Howl's moving castle would make a good catalog for them to release with Arrietty.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjmichael View Post
Disney already have Arriety, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Whispers of the Heart, and My Neighbor the Yamadas released on Blu in the UK so I don't know why they wouldn't release them here too.
Disney doesn't do the UK releases, as Optimum Home Entertainment has those rights.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)

Last edited by svenge; 03-04-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Banned

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
Disney doesn't do the UK releases, as Optimum Home Entertainment has those rights.
Oh really?? I just figured they were Disney releases too since they all say "Studio Ghibli Collection" at the same place where Disney puts their Studio Ghibli banner. Guess it makes sense since I thought it was odd for Disney for release those over there and not here

Last edited by ssjmichael; 03-04-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjmichael View Post
Oh really?? I just figured they were Disney releases too since they all say "Studio Ghibli Collection" at the same place where Disney puts their Studio Ghibli banner. Guess it makes sense since I thought it was odd for Disney for release those over there and not here
Wonder if those are worth getting a cheap region free BD player for or not.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Wonder if those are worth getting a cheap region free BD player for or not.
Either that, or buy the Hong Kong releases. They're almost as good as the original Japanese releases (as long as you prefer subtitles, as they don't come with the English dubs) and cost half as much as the ones from Japan.

All Ghibli movies that have been released to date on BD in Japan have a HK counterpart currently, and since Hong Kong is in Region "A", you won't need to buy a new multi-region player.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)

Last edited by svenge; 03-04-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
I think I might end up going for the DVDs they've currently got at my Costco...at least I hope they're still there. The odds are not seeming good.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Washington State

Quote:
looking forward to Arrietty on blu ray, since my theater didnt get it I dont even want to think about them not releasing anymore Ghibli backcatalog postive thoughts here people. Im expecting TWO older Ghibi films released on blu when Arrietty comes out since they have made us wait so damn long since the last one
#100: The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter: Criterion Collection
#200: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#300: Trainspotting
#400: Tree of Life
#500: Brazil: Criterion Collection

#600: Eureka Seven: Pt. 1 Limited Edition
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The situation is not so bad, even if Disney decides to not release the rest of the Studio Ghibli catalog on BD. The ones from Hong Kong are almost as good as the Japanese releases and cost a bit less money than them.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #14

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Hehe, I already have the HK blu ray so I won't be needing this.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

Will be picking this up as a blind buy, hopefully it will sell enough to get more Ghibli blus here in the US.
City Is My Church
Old 03-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #16

Jan 2009

Quote:
Ya, that's basically what I'm thinking too. The Japanese releases, while gorgeous, are too expensive for me to justify. So I've been holding out hope that Disney would hurry up a bit. Whatever title Disney announces (If any at all) I've already decided on importing the HK releases of the rest at the more affordable 30 a pop. They may lack the special features, but the A/V is the same (except on Ponyo) and that's all I care about.

My guess (My hope) would be Howls or Laputa along side Arrietty.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #17

Apr 2011

I just loved Arrietty and can't wait to own it on Blu, hoping it would be region free and loaded with features

About time Disney got their act together and put out some of the Ghibli catalogue titles on Blu. It's frustrating how there has been no US release since Nausicaa, while Optimum UK, and Madman Australia have been timely and prompt with their catalogue releases. Castle in the Sky, Whisper of the Heart, and My Neighbors the Yamadas have already been available in those regions for a while now....oh well, and they never really released the Ghibli gem "Only Yesterday" on any format in US so far caring little about that Disney-Tokuma deal. Shame.

Apparently they seem too busy repackaging and re-releasing a new Cars 2 edition every other week.

Last edited by Jafar; 03-04-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #18

Nov 2010

Quote:
The situation is not so bad, even if Disney decides to not release the rest of the Studio Ghibli catalog on BD. The ones from Hong Kong are almost as good as the Japanese releases and cost a bit less money than them.
I thought about doing that, but I am partial to the English dubs for these films, and the HK releases don't come with them.

If Disney doesn't release any of the other films over here I'll probably cave and import the Japanese versions of my favourites, but I won't be able to get them all. Definitely want Spirited Away and Kiki when they're released, possibly Howl's. Castle in the Sky doesn't have the dub anyway, so that's a pass.

I plan to pre-order Arrietty when I can. Hope to go see the film tomorrow, so it won't be a blind buy at least.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #19

Sep 2010
Encino, CA

I wonder if they're going to include the UK dub of the film.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Yeah, but I do like the American dubs. I want to have the choice. And the DVDs are all on sale for $12.99 right now, so I might at least have to bite on a couple of favorites.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
arrietty, disney, studio ghibli