Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$95.78
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$45.22
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Step Up All In (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
Default Heaven's Lost Property (Anime Series Blu-ray)

Heaven's Lost Property Blu-ray

Heaven's Lost Property Blu-ray Review

Heaven's Lost Property Blu-ray Ltd

Heaven's Lost Property: Forte (Second Season) Blu-ray pre-order

It's no surprise that often I come across professional reviews by media websites that often portray anime in such a bad light. Anime usually gets a bad rap which is why I'm not surprised that the review posted here on Blu-ray.com portrays this series in the same connotation.

Japanese anime has always appealed to such a smaller clique that it gets revealed in the same context as big budget hollywood releases. I'm not saying that all anime is good, only that it shouldn't be reviewed in the same context as mainstream Hollywood movies.

Heaven's Lost Property features the anime in its original format, Japanese audio with English subtitles at a reasonable price, $30. With gorgeous anime production, anime simply doesn't enjoy the mainstream appeal that American animation films and television shows enjoy. Anime fans are a small sub-culture of the entertainment industry and each film or series has its own unique fanbase.

Just a glance at such websites as Anime News Network and Danny Choo.com just shows just how avid anime fans are for this culture. I'm wondering if Blu-ray.com has reviewers with specific enough interest to appreciate reviewing an anime release. I'm not criticizing but hopefully these aren't just generic reviews that are used to compare American animation to Japanese anime.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 09-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Thats nothing take a look at the review for Sekrei: pure engagement and b gata h kei if you want to see some real crappy reviews.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The problem is that these type of productions are targeted at a specific viewing audience and general reviewers are ill-equipped to understand the nuances of the material that get lost in translation. It would probably be wise for Blu-ray.com to employ reviewers familiar with a wide array of anime. You just can't apply Western sensibilities to material of this nature without coming off as uninformed.

Most mainstream reviewers have a difficult time processing the fan service that makes up a substantial portion of shows like Sekirei.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

I think there is a general inability to see the tree through the forest around here in general. Shows like sekirei and heavens lost property tend to get lost when reviewers can't get past the fan service to actually enjoy the story thats unfolding. Not sure but that may just be a western thing. Happens all over the place look at how many people get upset when an aspect ratio shifts on the screen and totally cant get past that to enjoy the movie or the people who would not be able to enjoy a film like ben hur because they are too busy focusing on the black bars at the top an bottom. See its not just anime that suffers this lack of ability to enjoy an entertainment property because of the OCD nature of the western culture that has invaded many people.

I for one highly enjoyed b gatta, sekerei, and heavens lost property as well as many others despite the fan service. Heck Witchblade is one of my favorite shows period of any type because the mother daughter dynamics and touching story age just well done. Fan service Yes but more importantly characters you can care about and feel for when things don't go well.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

What makes this discussion largely irrelevant is that most normal people have no idea what fan service is and what role it serves, so many ordinary reviewers will toss the baby out with the bathwater.

For someone that grew up in the United States, I think the appearance of any nudity in an animated production really skews their reaction. It is very hard for a culture that has been indoctrinated since birth to believe that animation is strictly for children and families, to witness anything that would be rated R here.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Tell me about it. Anime has such a dedicated core audience that it's overlooked 99% of the time from the rest of movie, television and animation fans who see anime as nothing more as an upstart culture.

I've watched more anime in my lifetime than most fans will ever see. I started watching and collecting anime back in the early 80's, long before anime started to become a licensing powerhouse. This was back when anime bootleg clubs distributed anime via VHS tapes and comic conventions. It was an entire sub-culture that had an isolated core group of fans.

When you get past the Ghibli films, and anime is more than just Ghibli movies, you have so many decent anime shows like You're Under Arrest, Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop, Ah! My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo, Mushishi, Please Teacher, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Macross, Mars Daybreak and an untold number of anime shows, OVAs and movies ... there is just so much quality out there that a general movie critic who reviews a movie or television series released by Hollywood could never hope to understand the nuaces that the anime genre hopes to offer fans in North America.

I find that Blu-ray.com has just fallen into the category of not actually preparing itself to properly review an anime release because it's almost like there are already negative strikes against the review for an anime before the reviewer even starts to writ it. I don't blame the Blu-ray.com reviewer for it, only that I think Blu-ray.com should actually assign someone who really appreciate anime to review such titles.

It's like you don't assign someone to review a science fiction movie/television series when they have a definite dislike for that genre because it taints their view of that particular review, even before they write it. The written review for "Heaven's Lost Property" just proves my point. The review even starts out as a biased review against anime.

I just hope that BR.com can find someone who actually has a background and appreciates anime rather than just having a generic review written for such a release.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

I know its so weird. what the western realms deem as taboo is often very natural and what we deem as acceptable (violence, murder, and criminal behavior) well that just the jersy shore totally normal and available durring daytime television. I agree with your baby and bathwater assesment. oh well I guess the best thing is just understanding from experience how different reviewers react to different situations and reading between the lines as to the what you may or may not like. at least they usually tend to get the vital specs (PQ/AQ) straight so at least we have that as a guage of the proficiency of the transfer. as for the subjective parts, well thats subjective anyway,

thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I suppose the problem I have is that if someone is going to review an anime release that it should be reviewed on its merits, not merely fit it into the same staple as American entertainment.

Anime just falls into a lot of categories within that genre. Fan service has dominated a lot of anime much in the same way that fan service has always infected American comics. I just think that there is a general misconception among most reviewers about what anime truly is. Many see anime as the Japanese intrusion into American entertainment and that is far from the case.

I can remember as far back as the early 70's, waking up every morning at 6AM to watch Speed Racer, Tranzor Z and Ronin Warriors along with Ultraman, Jonny Sokko and His Flying Robot, Godzilla and Gamera. It's only that Japanese entertainment has been an integral part of our entertainment culture since the 60's and 70's.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Oh by the way Kemcha please remove Heavens lost Property Forte from your initial post it has been regulated to a dvd release only. ( release was too close to the Japanese release so it will only be coming out on dvd at this time)
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #10

Mar 2012

You just can't apply Western sensibilities to material of this nature without coming off as uninformed.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Oh by the way Kemcha please remove Heavens lost Property Forte from your initial post it has been regulated to a dvd release only. ( release was too close to the Japanese release so it will only be coming out on dvd at this time)
That's incorrect. The Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD combo is quite available for purchase. Since you don't state a source for your information, I can't cede to your request. Amazon has it available for order and it's the Funimation Production version. Not a Japanese release, but an American release.

Unless you can provide a source for your information, my post remains as it is. Besides, the original post has been updated by the moderators and I have no desire to subvert their edit. We don't "edit out" moderator changed posts. It's a big no-no and a possible ban for doing so; (I run my own anime news site and forums so I know about these things).

Please provide a link for your information. Oh, it must be a Funimation website link since they are company who releases it.

Blu-ray Season 1: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/29912/
Blu-ray Season 2: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/35628/

By the way, you are referring to the Limited Edition version of the Blu-ray, not the standard edition release. The Season 1 Blu-ray is readily available for order through Amazon.

Last edited by kemcha; 03-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #12

Jan 2008

Heaven's Lost Property Forte (Season 2) has been changed from a Blu-ray/DVD combo to DVD only. There has been no update as to when (or if) the Blu-ray will be available.

FUNimation Responds to Canceled "Heaven's Lost Property Forte" Blu-Ray
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Unless Funimation posts it on their own website, I don't believe anything posted by other websites, least of all, Crunchyroll. I happen to know from personal direct communication with Funimation that they do not allow other websites to post any official information on their releases and that all "public relations" or "press releases" are handled by "Funimation.com".

Crunchyroll's information is inaccurate and misleading because Funimation.com clearly states that the Blu-ray is still scheduled for release. This is why I don't trust information from secondhand sites because studios prefer to announce their own releases first. Funimation.com handles their own press releases and doesn't hand them out to other sites. I know this personally because I have been in contact with them in the past over an inquiry to receive press releases.

According to Funimation's own website, the Blu-ray + DVD combo set is still scheduled for release (as of five days ago):

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog...operty/2604341

http://www.funimationchannel.com/sho...-%252d-LE.html

http://mobiledev.funimation.com/heav...perty/products

Not trying to be disrespectful here but I'm more apt to trust Funimation's own press releases regarding this Blu-ray title rather than a video streaming website like Crunchyroll. Shoot, Crunchyroll often gets their information wrong.

At one time, they had listed the Ah! My Goddess OVA series, Fighting Wings, as being licensed by Bandai Entertainment and that they had also listed the Fighting Wings OVA series as the third season of the anime series. It's always best to verify your information before you post it ... in this case, Funimation's information on Heaven's Lost Property is more accurate than Crunchyroll's information.

The sources I posted are official announcements and source website link from Funimation.com.

Last edited by kemcha; 03-18-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Europe, Portugal Blu-ray SteelBook™: 514 3D_Blu-ray: 100

I just watched season 1 and it's really great..
I'm afraid it won't be season 2 in blu-ray format soon
Even Funimation.com is only selling the DVD version....
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
That's incorrect. The Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD combo is quite available for purchase. Since you don't state a source for your information, I can't cede to your request. Amazon has it available for order and it's the Funimation Production version. Not a Japanese release, but an American release.

Unless you can provide a source for your information, my post remains as it is. Besides, the original post has been updated by the moderators and I have no desire to subvert their edit. We don't "edit out" moderator changed posts. It's a big no-no and a possible ban for doing so; (I run my own anime news site and forums so I know about these things).

Please provide a link for your information. Oh, it must be a Funimation website link since they are company who releases it.

Blu-ray Season 1: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/29912/
Blu-ray Season 2: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/35628/

By the way, you are referring to the Limited Edition version of the Blu-ray, not the standard edition release. The Season 1 Blu-ray is readily available for order through Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Unless Funimation posts it on their own website, I don't believe anything posted by other websites, least of all, Crunchyroll. I happen to know from personal direct communication with Funimation that they do not allow other websites to post any official information on their releases and that all "public relations" or "press releases" are handled by "Funimation.com".

Crunchyroll's information is inaccurate and misleading because Funimation.com clearly states that the Blu-ray is still scheduled for release. This is why I don't trust information from secondhand sites because studios prefer to announce their own releases first. Funimation.com handles their own press releases and doesn't hand them out to other sites. I know this personally because I have been in contact with them in the past over an inquiry to receive press releases.

According to Funimation's own website, the Blu-ray + DVD combo set is still scheduled for release (as of five days ago):

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog...operty/2604341

http://www.funimationchannel.com/sho...-%252d-LE.html

http://mobiledev.funimation.com/heav...perty/products

Not trying to be disrespectful here but I'm more apt to trust Funimation's own press releases regarding this Blu-ray title rather than a video streaming website like Crunchyroll. Shoot, Crunchyroll often gets their information wrong.

At one time, they had listed the Ah! My Goddess OVA series, Fighting Wings, as being licensed by Bandai Entertainment and that they had also listed the Fighting Wings OVA series as the third season of the anime series. It's always best to verify your information before you post it ... in this case, Funimation's information on Heaven's Lost Property is more accurate than Crunchyroll's information.

The sources I posted are official announcements and source website link from Funimation.com.
Hey a Kemcha how is your information about this release going right now?? You know what you have a problem sir. You don't want to believe anything anyone tells you. Remember the whole Castle in the Sky, Arriety, and Whisper of the Heart thing well that right there is a perfect example. Where's your proof that this release is still coming now? I would really like to see the information from Funimation or from Rightstuff or Amazon. This is all of course theoretical considering you probably won't visit this thread again because you know your wrong. Oh and one more thing where did I say anything about the Season 1 blu in my original post.

Last edited by madlost1; 03-12-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Europe, Portugal Blu-ray SteelBook™: 514 3D_Blu-ray: 100

is the Heaven's Lost Property the Movie: The Angeloid of Clockwork region free?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #17

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

"Once Sohara is giant sized, though, that puts her panties in easy view of the "normal" sized Tomoki far below, and more mayhem ensues."

This has got to be one of the strangest sentences I've ever read in a blu-ray review on this site.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Forte will finally be getting it's blu release in June baring anymore setbacks with Kadekowa.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime