Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.51

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.54

Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.46

Storks 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89
4 hrs ago
Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.98

Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 02-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #1

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand
United Kingdom David Attenborough's Natural History Museum Alive (2014) Blu-ray 3D [Region Free]

I made a surprise discovery today while out at one of our local retailers here In New Zealand - I knew that "David Attenboroughs Natural History Museum ALIVE" had been released in the UK (and had on several occasions nearly imported it)

Well today while out and about I stumbled on a 3D copy and was somewhat surprised at the cost NZ$12.99 - add to that the 20% discount that the retailer was offering and it came down to a cheap NZ$10.39! Needless to say I grabbed a copy right there and then.....

The big surprise is - that as I was heading towards the checkout I noticed the title on the "New Releases" rack - no 3D in sight there though, however there was a DVD release and a standard Blu Ray release, BOTH of which were much higher priced than the 3D Blu (DVD was NZ$29, Blu was NZ$34)

I know it's a bit of a ramble...but thats my bargain find of the day!

Ive had a quick flick through and it looks to be another title of Attenborough quality - although being that the setting is inside the museum at night - it does seem to be a rather dark looking presentation. Attenborough looks at some of the museums artifacts of extinct creatures and "brings them to life" It looks to have cutting edge CGI and good use of 3D, and of course it's presented by the best nature narrator in the business Sir David Attenborough!

There are no listings for region on the packaging or disc, so i cant say if it's region free or not. The Doco runs for 115mins and there is only one bonus feature (non 3D) a 50 minute behind the scenes making of.

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Thanks Chris, sounds good.
If you can, let us know how the 3D holds up from start to finish for this one. Thanks.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I have this and it's very good. I got it as a present for Christmas. The 3D is good, the CGI is good and Attenborough is, as always, captivating. This is highly recommend stuff for anyone interested in extinct creatures.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I have this and it's very good. I got it as a present for Christmas. The 3D is good, the CGI is good and Attenborough is, as always, captivating. This is highly recommend stuff for anyone interested in extinct creatures.
Pretty much sums it up.....although it possibly has appeal to nature enthusiasts in general. While it's probably not quite as insightful as some of the other Attenborough nature doco's out there (lets be honest a fair whack of information about extinct animals is largely scientific speculation - and this is touched on a little in the narration) it's still a very interesting look into beasts of our past! I would have liked a little more background/information on some of these beasts - maybe it could have been split into several episodes to expand on each subject a little more (like the Micro Monsters series) - but then maybe thats just me wanting to know more about these fascinating animals......

There's an excellent sense of depth as you would expect with a natively filmed production, and likewise theres some very subtle but effective "into your lounge" effects too! Worthy of a purchase!!!

OH! and I was happy to see that two of the "monsters" featured in this doco were from my little homeland of New Zealand - can I say I'm glad they arent still roaming/flying around the countryside.....that eagle Whoa!

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (05-11-2018), levcore (05-11-2018), Zivouhr (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. Sounds good so I'll keep it in mind.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 12-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

I just saw this on Amazon and was wondering if anyone picked this up recently and could let me know if it's worth spending my Christmas, Amazon gift card on. I like museums and am hoping this is a good one.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Sep 2012

Is this region free? I have a couple other David Attenborough 3D blu rays, Kingdom of Plants and Flying Monsters, and they are region free.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
Is this region free? I have a couple other David Attenborough 3D blu rays, Kingdom of Plants and Flying Monsters, and they are region free.
I'm not aware of any of the Attenborough 3D discs that are locked, but several of them are 1080/50 or have 50HZ extras. I think the 66 Min main feauture on this is 1080/24, however the 50 minute extra is 50Hz.

This is one of the discs from teh DA Anthology set which has been confirmed Region Free for all discs though it is a mixture of 50I and 24p material
Thanks given by:
Smaugone (02-19-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #9

Feb 2015
London, England
United Kingdom

I watched this last night not expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised, it was the most fun I've had in 3D in a while (OK, since The Maze).

A few exterior/aerial shots aside, it's just David Attenborough wandering around the Natural History Museum at night, with extinct beasties joining him, but the museum setting offers fantastic depth and the CG beasts often pop off or out of the screen delightfully. Most are shown both in skeletal form and what they would have looked like, all of which has great volume in 3D.

If I have any complaints it's that this was too short at 115 minutes and the making-of was only in 2D. It also made me really wish the Night At The Museum trilogy had been released in 3D...

3D is not dead. What's dead is my interest in any new 2D formats or display technology.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (05-11-2018), levcore (05-11-2018), robtadrian (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I agree - Its a good 3D disc and I got lucky and snagged it on sale about 3-4 months ago through Amazon UK for pretty cheap. A solid watch and excellent 3D for the most part.
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD570, PS3
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560 & Harmony 700
Thanks given by:
levcore (05-11-2018), the13thman (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Just placed an order for this. It said only 2 left and I got one of them.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

I see where it says region 2 only and PAL on UK site and region 2 only on USA site for Amazon. But it is part of the the 3d trilogy number two and does playback region 1, except for the extras. Suggest box set since all three discs are great!
Sony KD50W800B monitor, Sony S5500 3D blu ray player, Panasonic DMR E18 DVD recorder, Darbee 5000S video processor, Dennon AVR x2100W receiver, Phase Technology main speakers, Yamaha middle and surround speakers, Infinity subwoofer plus a 40 year old but very good Dynaco book shelf speaker for the back middle speaker.

Last edited by Joe D.; 05-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #13

Sep 2012

Some of the best 3D I've seen at home has David Attenborough in it.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (05-11-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies