Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.83
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$17.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.69
Goodbye to Language 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.35
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.39
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$169.99
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY
Default The future of 3D Blu-Ray/4K blu-ray....

I recently bought the LG OLED E6 65" model which supports and has fantastic 3D performance. Ive never been much into 3D but i have to admit Im enjoying it quite a bit. I only own one 3D title(IMAX Under the Sea) and its fun to watch.

My questions are: With so many mfgers seemingly dropping 3D support and the fact that the 3D "buzz" doesnt seem that strong out there - are we going to see fewer and fewer 3D titles get released going forward?

Is it wiese to perhaps start grabbing whatever decent titles are out there now before they get scarce?

Just curious.....
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD570, PS3
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560 & Harmony 700
Thanks given by:
revgen (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Sep 2014

Personally I think 3D is far from dead. Next year apparently there are about 17 3D movies for next year which ain't bad. I love 3D and done correctly is amazing. Wow only the one tittle you ain't seen nothing yet there are some very good emmersive 3D blu's out there and the recent 3 from Disney the jungle book, the force awakens and dory in 3D are out in my opinion to see how much more profit they missed out on and if it's enough which I think it is they'll stay releasing all there 3D through North America as well A rest of world in one shot. Personally 3D for me is better than 4K. I think you should get the good ones before they disappear only because it's worth it you'll have some nice eye candy and if you use enjoying your one you'll have more to enjoy.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
I recently bought the LG OLED E6 65" model which supports and has fantastic 3D performance. Ive never been much into 3D but i have to admit Im enjoying it quite a bit. I only own one 3D title(IMAX Under the Sea) and its fun to watch.

My questions are: With so many mfgers seemingly dropping 3D support and the fact that the 3D "buzz" doesnt seem that strong out there - are we going to see fewer and fewer 3D titles get released going forward?

Is it wiese to perhaps start grabbing whatever decent titles are out there now before they get scarce?

Just curious.....
Hi s2mikey,

Sounds like the same experience I had about a year and a half ago. Needed a new set and though not looking for one with 3D, it was included in the one I purchased. Was watching simulated stuff then saw HBO had free on demand 3D movies. That's when the bug bit me and I became hooked.

I too do not think there will be a drop in titles since many films are still being released in theaters in 3D and there is still a home theater niche following in the U.S. and a very healthy market in Europe. There are discs in Europe not released in north America (i.e. most Disney) that are region free and can be ordered through Zavvi, Amazon, eBay, etc.

Right now you are also in the same position I was when first starting. There are many great titles out there available used for a fraction of their original costs. Look for sales, sites in which you can save on shipping, etc. Lots of bargains.

Enjoy.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Nov 2012

I worry about this as well. Having a slate of 3D BD releases is just catering to the existing consumer base, not an indication of future support. I worry for the day I need to replace my TV, because 4K models with 3D support are scarce and expensive. Back when 3D first came to market, you couldn't find an HDTV without 3D capabilities. Today, I can probably count the 4K models with 3D on one hand. Even 99.9% of 4K UHD releases are without a 3D BD version. It's a very different market today and feels very much like every subsequent year will see less and less 3D BD releases until it's gone for good.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Thanks gents - good to hear then. Ill probably grab a few titles now and then get new ones as they come out. The 3D performance is just so good on the TV that I want to take full advantage.

LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Sony STR DH550
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2014

There are still plenty of 3D-Blurays being released, and that may well continue for as long as demand for physical media persists, but the future is uncertain. There are still a few titles that manage to slip through the net and are only release flat (Pete's Dragon being the most recent). In most cases there is a release somewhere in the world.

The good news is that it's an ideal time to collect 3D-blurays. There's a wealth of content out there, some incredible titles out there, many at discount prices.

I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying 3-D so far. The home experience can often be superior to multiplex 3D. On a 4k OLED screen it probably looks fantastic. The brightness will definitely help, and 65" is a good size.

Imax Under The Sea was an excellent first choice. Some of the best 3-D out there is to be found in Imax documentaries, far better than the average blockbuster, and Under the Sea is among the very best of them. I also like the zero G footage in Space Station 3D. It's all natively filmed.

You'll get many recommendations. I'd say definitely check out some of the vintage 3-D out there, most of the 1950s titles were extremely well-made with awkward cumbersome technology. House of Wax is a good place to start, and there are already a number of interesting releases lined up for 2017.

For animation, be sure to check out some N-Wave titles, they go much further with 3-D than Pixar, Illumination or even Dreamworks. They pack in plenty of out-of-screen effects. I thought House of Magic was one of their stronger efforts.

Go for modern 3D blockbusters you like, some are disappointingly flat, but there's a few stand-out titles to watch out for every year, such as this year's Ghostbusters, TMNT2 and Fantastic Beasts.

I'd say it is wise to buy now, there are a few sold-out titles that are now only available at inflated prices. There are also limited releases such as Twilight Time titles. We don't know how long the market will be there, but if people continue to buy them, they'll presumably continue to sell them.

Last edited by Interdimensional; 12-19-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (12-22-2016), Zivouhr (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
are we going to see fewer and fewer 3D titles get released going forward?
See: More BD-3D releases in 2016 (Per year since 2010)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

Dec 2013

i love 3d, it's so cool, it is the best experience i seen at home, the one title you really gotta check out in 3d is pacific rim, the 3d in that is amazing, a must have in 3d.
The Ant Bully needs a blu ray 3d release for home 3d viewing.
Please let warner brothers know that we want the blu ray 3d version: http://www.warnerbros.com/customer-service
We been without a 3d version of this movie for home viewing, this movie needs it.
Send a form to warner brothers, let them know that you want to see this on blu ray 3d.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Jun 2013

Enjoy it while it lasts...and hope that it lasts a longer as opposed to shorter frame of time...is my policy. It's also easy to rationalize still being all in on the format what with 2D capability being included in most Blu-ray 3D releases...

And Now:

Not so sure SONY's bundling 3D with 4K is a vote of confidence in the format in Region A. It's practically invisible in those combo packs, and it seems like future releases in areas more favorable to 3D will continue to get SONY's prominent Blu-ray 3D clear-cases. At any rate, I fear it boils down to a marketplace demotion and plans for a slow, subtle bowing out. I hope this isn't the case...

Last edited by AllOuttaBubbleGum; 12-20-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
There are still plenty of 3D-Blurays being released, and that may well continue for as long as demand for physical media persists, but the future is uncertain. There are still a few titles that manage to slip through the net and are only release flat (Pete's Dragon being the most recent). In most cases there is a release somewhere in the world.

The good news is that it's an ideal time to collect 3D-blurays. There's a wealth of content out there, some incredible titles out there, many at discount prices.

I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying 3-D so far. The home experience can often be superior to multiplex 3D. On a 4k OLED screen it probably looks fantastic. The brightness will definitely help, and 65" is a good size.

Imax Under The Sea was an excellent first choice. Some of the best 3-D out there is to be found in Imax documentaries, far better than the average blockbuster, and Under the Sea is among the very best of them. I also like the zero G footage in Space Station 3D. It's all natively filmed.

You'll get many recommendations. I'd say definitely check out some of the vintage 3-D out there, most of the 1950s titles were extremely well-made with awkward cumbersome technology. House of Wax is a good place to start, and there are already a number of interesting releases lined up for 2017.

For animation, be sure to check out some N-Wave titles, they go much further with 3-D than Pixar, Illumination or even Dreamworks. They pack in plenty of out-of-screen effects. I thought House of Magic was one of their stronger efforts.

Go for modern 3D blockbusters you like, some are disappointingly flat, but there's a few stand-out titles to watch out for every year, such as this year's Ghostbusters, TMNT2 and Fantastic Beasts.

I'd say it is wise to buy now, there are a few sold-out titles that are now only available at inflated prices. There are also limited releases such as Twilight Time titles. We don't know how long the market will be there, but if people continue to buy them, they'll presumably continue to sell them.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I will certainly snag some extra titles. Ordered Flight of the Butterflies which is a 4K/3D combo that got great reviews and it was just $15 bucks. Love that it has both a 4K and 3D version - get to try out my shiny new toy using both formats.

The TV itself is incredible. I always thought my Pioneer KURO plasmas were good.... this is just another whole level UP. And the 3D is crystal clear with no crosstalk and even looks good from slightly off-center so the whole family can watch a 3D flick without those on the side seats losing the effect.
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Sony STR DH550
Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Special Member

Dec 2011
Gotham

I think 3D will be around for a while so long as it keeps generating sales. Which I think it is because since it's surge post Avatar in 2009, getting onto 8 years now it's still going strong with around 60 titles released in 3D this year alone. I have well over 200 3D titles in my collection now so if you're looking to flog your new TV and get some serious use out of it, there's plenty of movies to choose from. Pretty much every blockbuster released has a 3D option as well as most animated films.

So get busy and start getting those 3D titles...

Oh, and check this forum section out for titles you're interested in. Many of the members will post thoughts and reviews on how good the 3D is for any particular title. Because some are better than others...
The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams... ♪
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
i love 3d, it's so cool, it is the best experience i seen at home, the one title you really gotta check out in 3d is pacific rim, the 3d in that is amazing, a must have in 3d.
Guess what I just ordered from Amazon? Pacific Rim in 3D. Under $10 bucks brand new. Bought IMAX Under The Sea as well for cheap money. Also grabbed a 4-pack of extra LG-branded 3D glasses.

Thanks to all for the replies here - Im encouraged that we'll keep getting releases for a while at least.
LG OLED 65E6P
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
Sony STR DH550
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Funny, I JUST watched Pacific Rim in 3D on my LG OLED65E6P the other day
And it looked Fantastic! Definitely worth the watch.

I jumped on the LG with the 3D because it does seem to be dying in all the new TVs out. I can also remember when it first started you couldn't find a TV without 3D, and back then I hated it. Now I'm in love with it, and wanted to get a 3D TV before the 2017 ones come out without 3D!
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
Now I'm in love with it, and wanted to get a 3D TV before the 2017 ones come out without 3D!
Are you saying there will be no 3D TV's in 2017?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Are you saying there will be no 3D TV's in 2017?
I'm pretty sure he is guessing that. At least LG and Sony will come out with high end 4k oled tvs with 3D the next few years.
TVs: Mitsubishi WD65C9 + 3DC-1000 Kit, Mitsubishi WD82738
HT: Onkyo HT-S9400 THX 7.1
Bluray/DVD: Sony BDP-S6500(Multi region), Oppo DV-980H
Gaming: PS3 60GB 1st Gen., PS4 Launch Edition, PSVR Bundle, PS4 Pro
Streaming: ChromeCast, Roku 2 XS
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #16

Aug 2016
Clearwater, Fl
Default A Great 3D movie is more impactful than most 4K indeed

Personally 3D for me is better than 4K. I think you should get the good ones before they disappear only because it's worth it you'll have some nice eye candy and if you use enjoying your one you'll have more.

I completely agree with your evaluation of 3D movies compared to most 4k movies.
Great 3D transfers such as Avatar, Mad Max Fury Road, Gravity, Life of Pi, and even Guardians of the Galaxy are a must buy for our new to the 3D party enthusiast friend to whom you responded.
Newer 3D titles such as Force Awakens and Jungle book reveal that 3D is far from dead.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Special Member

Dec 2011
Gotham

Yes, the real concern is the next generation of TV's. Some of the manufacturers have appeared to drop 3D in their latest models and it's happening more and more. Sony and LG have released model's without 3D now too whereas before every model had it.

Also the fact that 4K Bluray didn't acknowledge 3D in it's standard is another concern. I think it could be a sign that manufacturer's are more focused on pushing 4K and HDR rather than 3D. There's obviously going to be a lot more titles that can be put on a 4K disc rather than 3D so it makes sense.

I just hope 3D in hardware isn't completely phased out because there will come a time where our existing TV's/Players will need to be replaced and if their is no option for 3D in the current generation of equipment, we're all stuffed.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightopian View Post
Also the fact that 4K Bluray didn't acknowledge 3D in it's standard is another concern.(
History may repeat itself.

Remember that 3D was not initially part of the Blu-ray disc standard.
And to achieve Passive 3D ability, which was originally only theatrically possible, we had to wait for 4K/UHD displays.

Now that Passive OLED renders 3D in quality clear, precise, & ghost-resistant experiences that are far superior to 3D theatrical projection, 4K 3D Blu-rays need only arise when Passive 8K displays are of age, resolving 3D images in there best quality form.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:10 AM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2011
Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
History may repeat itself.

Remember that 3D was not initially part of the Blu-ray disc standard.
And to achieve Passive 3D ability, which was originally only theatrically possible, we had to wait for 4K/UHD displays.

Now that Passive OLED renders 3D in quality clear, precise, & ghost-resistant experiences that are far superior to 3D theatrical projection, 4K 3D Blu-rays need only arise when Passive 8K displays are of age, resolving 3D images in there best quality form.
Yeah, but Bluray's were released in 2006. The 3D era began after Avatar in 2009/2010. That's why they amended the Bluray spec to include 3D. And they did it relatively quickly to capitalise on the format. 3D TV's and Bluray players were coming in thick and fast after that. Fast forward to 2016 and it's strange that the 3D standard wasn't included from the start with UHD especially since we've been living with it now for 7 years and there are hundreds of titles available. Also strange that more and more TV's aren't including 3D in their specs either. They spent a couple of years on the 4K bluray standard and to not include 3D from the start during that phase isn't a good sign to me.

But yeah, hopefully you're right and they will add it in later. Perhaps the discs aren't big enough to accomodate it? Before 4K was released I was excited at the prospect of passive 3D on a 4K screen with 2K to each eye like active bluray is now...I was so disappointed when I found out they didn't include 3D at all.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:00 AM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

Keeping in mind, originally the PS3 and blu ray player of 2006 had no 3D support. Once 3DTVs did appear, then blu ray found a way to incorporate 3D. I can imagine the same can happen with UHD if it catches on or builds a sustained audience.

I tend to be stubborn when I'm satisfied with my current technology and since I'm not rich, if my current 1080p 3DTVs look great IMO, I don't upgrade unless they break down. Even so, it's nice to see UHD is compatible with blu ray 3D and Paul mentions many positive things about the UHD TV blu ray 3D experience.

3D blu ray sales continue to this day, now going into the 7th plus year in 2017 thanks to 3D fans worldwide. If 3D blu rays weren't selling, the market would've dried up a couple years after 2010. I'm very glad it's still going and a full slate of 3D movies in theaters too for 2017 and beyond.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see the next display design for stereo 3D.
Glasses free tech has yet to match and prove itself in the market. Sony is said to be working on glasses free 3DTV, but haven't released it yet till they're ready.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-21-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies