Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Jul 2011
Naples, Italy
Default 10 Commandments versus Cleopatra Blu-ray

I own both and have to say that while theyre both stunning, the winner is 10 Commandments. Interested to hear your opinion.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

I own the top four "swords & sandals" flicks on BD.
The Robe, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur and Cleopatra.

While The Ten Commandments is one of my favorite flicks, I have to give the nod to Cleopatra.
Her entry into Rome was beyond spectacular and is one of the most epic scenes in movie history.

Not to mention Liz Taylor's nude massage scene.
I remember saving up my milk money just so I could go back to the theater to see the Saturday matinee,
to see that scene again.
I was only 12 years old and that was the first time that I had ever seen a naked women.

Liz was smokin hot back in the day!
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Jul 2011
Naples, Italy

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not asking what your favorite is. Im talking picture quality transfer wise.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

10 Commandments as Charleton Heston as lead.

Cleopatra as Elizabeth Taylor.

The winner is..........Cleopatra

Joking aside I haven't yet receive my copy of Cleopatra so I can't make a judgement on the image quality. The 10 Commandments is pretty good PQ wise even if I am sure it must have those that strongly disagre I cannot wait to see Cleopatra, should get my copy sometime later this week.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhlan Ain Ajeeba View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Not asking what your favorite is. Im talking picture quality transfer wise.
Both are great, but I go with The Ten Commandments in

V I S T A V I S I O N!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Suspended

Feb 2011

There is one thing I dont like in Commandments. It's aspect ratio - original or not, I prefer this kind of movies to be presented in wider AR (not necessarily "Ben-Hur wide"), so Cleopatra makes better impression. Of course It doesnt mean I'd like commandments to be reframed into another AR.

and BTW, it would be more interesting to add Ben Hur to this Vs thread. It would be harder to decide then

Last edited by Gieferg; 03-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #7

Mar 2011

I don't know about the quality of each bluray, however I did see them both and I must say THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was much funnier than CLEOPATRA. So I would have to pick THE TEN COMMANDMENTS for being so hilariously funny.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by linapotente View Post
I don't know about the quality of each bluray, however I did see them both and I must say THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was much funnier than CLEOPATRA. So I would have to pick THE TEN COMMANDMENTS for being so hilariously funny.
Yes. "Oh Moses. Moses! You dear wonderful fool."++++etc... And I think there's more male nipple action in this movie than about any other made in that era. I think DeMille may have known what the ladies like.....?

Last edited by benbess; 03-19-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
Yes. "Oh Moses! Moses! You dear wonderful fool!"++++etc... And I think there's more male nipple action in this movie than about any other ever made in that era.
I never check but I suspect the Hercules series of movies with Steve Reeves might beat it in that category
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

They both look fantastic but I might give the nod to Ten Commandments on picture quality.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I never check but I suspect the Hercules series of movies with Steve Reeves might beat it in that category
When will these flicks be available on BD?

I grew up watching his Hercules movies in the theater.

Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhlan Ain Ajeeba View Post
I own both and have to say that while theyre both stunning, the winner is 10 Commandments. Interested to hear your opinion.
I own both and have to say that while theyre both stunning
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
When will these flicks be available on BD?

I grew up watching his Hercules movies in the theater.

Hercules (1958) 1/10 - YouTube
I do not know, the only thing I seen is a box set on DVD that came out maybe 7 or 8 years ago. My friend got it, the picture quality was not that great on it.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

My vote for best picture and audio quality goes to Cleopatra.

Cleopatra Blu-ray, Video Quality
Presented in an aspect ratio of 2.22:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Joseph L. Mankiewicz's Cleopatra arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of 20th Century Fox-UK.

The high-definition transfer is enormously impressive. Detail, clarity, and especially image depth easily rival those of the outstanding Blu-ray release of William Wyler's Ben-Hur, which Warner Brothers produced last year. The massive panoramic scenes also look incredibly fluid (if you have the ability to project your Blu-rays on large screens, prepare to be overwhelmed by the stunning visuals). Also, even though there have been some concerns about the color grading of the new high-definition transfer, in my opinion both color saturation and color balance are very convincing.

There are absolutely no traces of problematic denoising or sharpening corrections. Unsurprisingly, when blown through a digital projector Cleopatra very much looks like film, boasting organic qualities that are typically extremely easy to appreciate if an older film has undergone a meticulous restoration and lab technicians have not tried to 'modernize' it. The high-definition transfer is also free of annoying flecks, scratches, and debris. All in all, this is breathtakingly beautiful presentation of a legendary film, which I am convinced will appear on many Top 10 lists at the end of 2012. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray disc. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your PS3 or SA regardless of your geographical location. For the record, there is no problematic PAL or 1080/50i content preceding the disc's main menu).

Cleopatra Blu-ray, Audio Quality
There are six audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English Dolby Digital 4.0, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1, Catalan DTS 5.1, and Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1. For the record, 20th Century Fox-UK have provided optional English SDH, Spanish, French, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Swedish, Hebrew, Icelandic, Simplified Mandarin, and Portuguese (Continental) subtitles for the main feature. When turned on, they appear inside the image frame.

The Blu-ray disc does not come with a booklet clarifying where the audio was remastered and how, but the final result is indeed very impressive. The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 boasts a wide range of nuanced dynamics that give the film the type of depth it rightfully deserves (check out the following two sequences: Cleopatra's reception in Rome and Octavian's arrival in Alexandria). Alex North's epic score also gets a tremendous boost. The brass section, in particular, sounds great. I would also like to specifically point out that during the Overture the strings are far richer and crisper than they are on the old R1 3DVD set 20th Century Fox produced. The dialog is clean, stable and exceptionally easy to follow. There is absolutely no background hiss whatsoever.
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 03-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Power Member

Apr 2009

has there been any info on Cleopatra coming to the U.S?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.C View Post
has there been any info on Cleopatra coming to the U.S?
No release date yet.
http://whatculture.com/film/cleopatr...wood-in-hd.php

Your better off ordering the UK version with outstanding picture and audio quality.
It currently is available for 56% off the retail price.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cleopatra-Blu-ray/30513/
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2

Last edited by timcat4843; 03-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #17

Jun 2011

Quote:

Presented in an aspect ratio of 2.22:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Joseph L. Mankiewicz's Cleopatra arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of 20th Century Fox-UK.

The high-definition transfer is enormously impressive. Detail, clarity, and especially image depth easily rival those of the outstanding Blu-ray release of William Wyler's Ben-Hur, which Warner Brothers produced last year. The massive panoramic scenes also look incredibly fluid (if you have the ability to project your Blu-rays on large screens, prepare to be overwhelmed by the stunning visuals). Also, even though there have been some concerns about the color grading of the new high-definition transfer, in my opinion both color saturation and color balance are very convincing.

There are absolutely no traces of problematic denoising or sharpening corrections. Unsurprisingly, when blown through a digital projector Cleopatra very much looks like film, boasting organic qualities that are typically extremely easy to appreciate if an older film has undergone a meticulous restoration and lab technicians have not tried to 'modernize' it. The high-definition transfer is also free of annoying flecks, scratches, and debris. All in all, this is breathtakingly beautiful presentation of a legendary film, which I am convinced will appear on many Top 10 lists at the end of 2012. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray disc. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your PS3 or SA regardless of your geographical location. For the record, there is no problematic PAL or 1080/50i content preceding the disc's main menu).

There are six audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English Dolby Digital 4.0, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1, Catalan DTS 5.1, and Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1. For the record, 20th Century Fox-UK have provided optional English SDH, Spanish, French, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Swedish, Hebrew, Icelandic, Simplified Mandarin, and Portuguese (Continental) subtitles for the main feature. When turned on, they appear inside the image frame.

The Blu-ray disc does not come with a booklet clarifying where the audio was remastered and how, but the final result is indeed very impressive. The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 boasts a wide range of nuanced dynamics that give the film the type of depth it rightfully deserves (check out the following two sequences: Cleopatra's reception in Rome and Octavian's arrival in Alexandria). Alex North's epic score also gets a tremendous boost. The brass section, in particular, sounds great. I would also like to specifically point out that during the Overture the strings are far richer and crisper than they are on the old R1 3DVD set 20th Century Fox produced. The dialog is clean, stable and exceptionally easy to follow. There is absolutely no background hiss whatsoever.
Agreed. No knock on 10 Commandments at all, but Cleopatra is very, VERY impressive!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Banned

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by can man View Post
Agreed. No knock on 10 Commandments at all, but Cleopatra is very, VERY impressive!
There is no comparison actually, as one has correct color and one does not. I know that most here don't seem to care about a film having its correct color timing, which is more than a little shocking (given people's carps about noise, DNR, lossless vs. lossy, aspect ratio, etc.). The Ten Commandments is a virtually perfect transfer. Cleopatra, while very impressive in terms of contrast and sharpness, has color that in no way represents the original color of the film. It's not terrible, but it's been pointed out in any number of places and it mars what would otherwise be a most impressive disc.

Of course, I understand the gentleman who gives it the highest marks - it's a pleasant childhood memory of what the sight of Elizabeth Taylor partially nude did to him in his formative years.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #19

Jul 2009
Unhappy Featurettes playback problems!

The film and first feauturette on disc on play fine. Alll other extras on disc 1 and all of 2 all playback @ 1/8th screen on upper top left corner of my 46" HD tv screen! Not sure why! Played w/ tv remote, and bluray payer settings and even did factory reset...again...film plays back fine, and first featurette. Anyone that can help?????????????????

Quote:

Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #20

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gieferg View Post
There is one thing I dont like in Commandments. It's aspect ratio - original or not, I prefer this kind of movies to be presented in wider AR (not necessarily "Ben-Hur wide"), so Cleopatra makes better impression. Of course It doesnt mean I'd like commandments to be reframed into another AR.
Yes but "wide" on a theatre screen meant a much bigger picture overall (same height as a standard film but wider). On a TV screen a wider picture presents a narrow, smaller picture, so TEN COMMANDMENTS actually has more impact on the TV screen than CLEOPATRA.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America