Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Chimpanzee $13.99 (27% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Blu-ray)
$4.00
The Bamboo Saucer (Blu-ray)
$18.95
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #1

Sep 2008
Default Game of Thrones, best looking blu-ray ever made?

Seriously, I can't believe the colors, black levels, and the clarity I'm seeing on my TV. I have a calibrated Panasonic 55st30 Plasma, but I've never seen anything come close to this kind of quality, at least not live action, and I have a pretty decent blu-ray collection.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post
Seriously, I can't believe the colors, black levels, and the clarity I'm seeing on my TV. I have a calibrated Panasonic 55st30 Plasma, but I've never seen anything come close to this kind of quality, at least not live action, and I have a pretty decent blu-ray collection.
Tough to beat the IMAX sequences of TRON: Legacy or Avatar. That's the creme de la creme of BD IMHO at least in terms of PQ.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #3

Dec 2007
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Tough to beat the IMAX sequences of TRON: Legacy or Avatar. That's the creme de la creme of BD IMHO at least in terms of PQ.
Agreed. TRON: Legacy is IMO the best overall BD presentation to date.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #4

Dec 2009

Tron:Legacy was my BD of the year last year. PQ and AQ were top notch! Daft Punk's score was perfectly suited for that film!
Tron Legacy on my HT

Pioneer Elite SC-27 + Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11 v6
Center: Paradigm CC-390
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor 9 v6
Backs: Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Sub: Dual Epik Empires
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

I just watched episode 3, and while I agree that the video quality is quite spectacular, I do have an odd anomaly that shows up that I have only ever seen on one other title, Boardwalk Empire. Sometimes, the blacks have this digital-looking, blue tint in them. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once every other episode in Boardwalk, and I've seen it twice in Thrones now. It's kind of off-putting, but it's so minor, I never bothered to bring it up in either of the dedicated threads for the two series.
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2008

I agree with the thread topic
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #7

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post
It does look tremendous, but wait til you see Cleopatra......... wow.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

Oct 2011

GOT definitely has the best PQ of any blu that I own.

The Dark Knight IMAX sequences look just about as good. The Bourne Ultimatum also sticks in my mind as being really great looking. I really like that film because the grain was not futzed about with. Sin City also looks amazing, though not filmic, since it was shot digitally.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2009
Gateshead, UK

Just bought Game of Thrones today, my 450th blu-ray, can't wait to check out the PQ on it, been hearing nothing but good things about it.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

It's ok. It's not as sharp as "Mad Men" but still looks good.
TV: Samsung LN32A450
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS77H
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #11

Jun 2009
Manchester, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
It's ok. It's not as sharp as "Mad Men" but still looks good.
Must say I think its above everything else I own. Super Black levels without crush, low lit areas never get murky or charcters get lost into the background. Detail never lost in background mush. Contrast levels making sure everything jumps off the screen without ever looking false, yep this is a transfer beyond words in my book. The North of Westeros sections beat anything I have ever seen.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Power Member

Jun 2011

I think it's the best-looking BD I own. I put it above Benjamin Button, 2001, I Robot, Pan's Labyrinth, No Country For Old Men, Sin City, Spartacus: B&S, Che, Inglourious Basterds, The Thin Red Line, everything... I've watched the season twice since I bought the set and I am constantly marveling at how fantastic it looks. When I pop in something else (the past few days it has been The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Descendants and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena), even those excellent-looking discs look subpar after getting accustomed to GoT.

HBO is the king of TV and the king of Blu-ray. I plan to significantly expand my TV BDs this year with HBO stuff. I've seen everything HBO has done, but when they put out product like this I think it's worth the extra money to get it on BD for posterity. Boardwalk, Deadwood, Rome, Band of Brothers/Pacific will be on my shelf this year sometime, for sure. If only The Wire would be released on BD (don't care that it's in 4:3, do it anyway!) and the absentee seasons of The Sopranos, my TV needs would all be satisfied.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

It's probably the best Blu-ray ever until the release of the next best Blu-ray ever sometime in the future
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

http://letterboxd.com/pat_mtl/
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Expert Member

Oct 2010
Hertfordshire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Jay View Post
I think it's the best-looking BD I own. I put it above Benjamin Button, 2001, I Robot, Pan's Labyrinth, No Country For Old Men, Sin City, Spartacus: B&S, Che, Inglourious Basterds, The Thin Red Line, everything... I've watched the season twice since I bought the set and I am constantly marveling at how fantastic it looks. When I pop in something else (the past few days it has been The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Descendants and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena), even those excellent-looking discs look subpar after getting accustomed to GoT.

HBO is the king of TV and the king of Blu-ray. I plan to significantly expand my TV BDs this year with HBO stuff. I've seen everything HBO has done, but when they put out product like this I think it's worth the extra money to get it on BD for posterity. Boardwalk, Deadwood, Rome, Band of Brothers/Pacific will be on my shelf this year sometime, for sure. If only The Wire would be released on BD (don't care that it's in 4:3, do it anyway!) and the absentee seasons of The Sopranos, my TV needs would all be satisfied.
No love for Oz and Six Feet Under?
Flickr!|Fb|Discs

Pre-orders: Avengers: Phase One.
Steelbooks:
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #15

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

I agree, it looks great. I can't wait for Season 2's first episode Sunday night.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Banned

Feb 2012

Anyone want to trade their Game of Thrones Targaryen or Stark Edition for my Walking Dead Original Slip release?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project-Zep View Post
Anyone want to trade their Game of Thrones Targaryen or Stark Edition for my Walking Dead Original Slip release?
That's not even close to a fair trade. Just letting you know in advance. This also belongs in the Trading Forum rather than here.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Jun 2009

Speed Racer has amazing video quality!! And can stand toe to toe with the titles listed in this thread.

Shame about the audio though.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezissou View Post
Speed Racer has amazing video quality!! And can stand toe to toe with the titles listed in this thread.

Shame about the audio though.
Yeah, the audio and the actual film kill the PQ candy IMHO.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #20

Jun 2009
Manchester, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Jay View Post

That's what i said on the UK forums a few days ago. Watched a few films since and it has made me sad that this blu has made alot of my other blu's look flat and lifeless. I was given good advice to go back and watch some dvds to get my mind back in order.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America