Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood
Exclamation Warner Bros Licenses Samuel Goldwyn Titles For Home Video

Guys and Dolls Blu-ray Nov 6

Hans Christian Andersen Blu-ray Dec 18

Source http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/warn...me-video-push/

Quote:
Warner Bros Licenses Samuel Goldwyn Titles For Home Video Push

By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Friday March 30, 2012 @ 1:00pm PDT
Tags: Samuel Goldwyn, Warner Bros

Burbank, Calif. (March 30, 2012) – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG) and The Samuel Goldwyn, Jr. Family Trust have entered into an agreement whereby Warner will license the North American distribution rights to some 70 titles from the Samuel Goldwyn Films library. The deal was announced today by Jeff Baker, Warner Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, and Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., founder of The Samuel Goldwyn Company, and the son of pioneer motion picture mogul Samuel Goldwyn.

The agreement represents nearly every film produced by the legendary producer, Samuel Goldwyn, including some that have never before been available to the home entertainment market. Titles could be released on Blu-ray Disc™, DVD, electronic sell-through and VOD as early as the 4th quarter of this year. Specific announcements to follow.

“The acquisition of the stellar Samuel Goldwyn library reaffirms WBHEG’s commitment to the classics and ownership through physical and digital distribution to consumers,” said Baker. “Our library, already boasting such crown jewels as The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane and Casablanca to name just a few, will be strengthened even further with Goldwyn’s fine titles from American film history.”

The Samuel Goldwyn Films library includes nearly four decades of classic films, all personally produced by Goldwyn for his Samuel Goldwyn Productions between 1925 and 1955. Top titles to be added to the WBHEG library, already the largest in the world, include The Best Years of Our Lives, 1946’s Oscar®-winning Best Picture, which increases the number of WBHEG library’s Best Picture Oscar® winners to 22, the most of any other single studio. Other highlights include William Wyler’s 1939 drama, Wuthering Heights starring Laurence Olivier, Merle Oberon and David Niven, The Pride of the Yankees starring Gary Cooper, Guys and Dolls starring Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, Frank Sinatra and Vivian Blaine, and Hans Christian Andersen starring Danny Kaye. Additionally, eight Gary Cooper films are included in the Goldwyn library, which also boasts films from some of the most acclaimed directors in screen history including Wyler, Howard Hawks and John Ford.

According to Sam Goldwyn Jr., “I could not be more pleased to have our library in such esteemed and capable hands. Warner Bros. has had an exceptional reputation going back to the days of my father. The idea that our treasured titles such as Wuthering Heights, The Best Years of Our Lives, and dozens of others will be handled with such passion and care could not make me happier.”

The agreement, covering U.S. and Canada, includes all home video, electronic sell-through, and transactional VOD rights.

SAMUEL GOLDWYN FILMS LIBRARY:
THE ADVENTURES OF MARCO POLO
ARROWSMITH
THE AWAKENING*
BALL OF FIRE
BARBARY COAST
BELOVED ENEMY
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
THE BISHOP’S WIFE
BULLDOG DRUMMOND
COME AND GET IT
CONDEMNED
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY
CYNARA
CYTHEREA*
DARK ANGEL*
DEAD END
THE DEVIL DANCER*
THE DEVIL TO PAY!
DODSWORTH
EDGE OF DOOM
ENCHANTMENT
THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES
GUYS AND DOLLS
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN
HIS SUPREME MOMENT*
IN HOLLYWOOD WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER*
I WANT YOU
THE KID FROM BROOKLYN
THE KID FROM SPAIN
KID MILLIONS
THE LITTLE FOXES
THE MAGIC FLAME*
THE MASQUERADER
MY FOOLISH HEART
NANA
THE NIGHT OF LOVE*
ONE HEAVENLY NIGHT
OUR VERY OWN
PALMY DAYS
PARTNERS AGAIN, WITH POTASH & PERLMUTTER*
POTASH AND PERLMUTTER*
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE
RAFFLES
RAFFLES (1930)
THE REAL GLORY
THE RESCUE*
ROMAN SCANDALS
ROSEANNA MCCOY
THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
SECRETS
A SONG IS BORN
SPLENDOR
STELLA DALLAS
STELLA DALLAS (1925)*
STRIKE ME PINK
TARNISH*
THESE THREE
THEY GOT ME COVERED
THEY SHALL HAVE MUSIC
A THIEF IN PARADISE*
THIS IS HEAVEN*
TWO LOVERS
THE UNHOLY GARDEN
UP IN ARMS
WE LIVE AGAIN
THE WEDDING NIGHT
THE WESTERNER
WHOOPEE!
THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH*
WOMAN CHASES MAN
WONDER MAN
WUTHERING HEIGHTS

*silent film

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-25-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Love to see some of the older Dany Kaye titles hit blu. Used to have some on laserdisc and they looked phenominal for that format.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Sep 2009

This is great news. The Best Years of Our Lives is one of my favorite films, as is Dodsworth. Would love to see both of those on Blu and several others on the list, including Arrowsmith, The Bishop's Wife, Stella Dallas, Pride of the Yankees, and Wuthering Heights.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Sep 2011

I'd definitely be up for Ball of Fire. I was convinced they owned Red River, too, but I guess not.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Didn't you forget Porgy and Bess in that list? Also, I've had The Best Years of Our Lives on my wish list forever!
The Alamo, Black Rain (Jp), Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, They Died With Their Boots On, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Banned

Dec 2009

I have a feeling most of these won't be released on Blu-ray, but just on DVD/VOD

This article seems to indicate plans for DVD releases only later this year but nothing planned for BD. I'm sure some of the more popular titles like The Best Years of Our Lives, Guys and Dolls, and Pride of the Yankees will make the jump but I can't see too many of these getting upgraded unfortunately. Warner will just make a bunch of cheap DVD movie packs for these.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ry-on-dvd.html

Quote:
Warner Bros. to release Samuel Goldwyn film library on DVD

Seeking to boost its relatively healthy business for classic movies on DVD, Warner Bros. has signed a multi-year deal to release 73 classic films produced by industry legend Samuel Goldwyn.

Among the titles Warner is buying from the producer's son Samuel Goldwyn Jr. are best picture Academy Award winner "The Best Years of Our Lives," the Lou Gehrig biopic "Pride of the Yankees" with Gary Cooper, the musical "Guys and Dolls" with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra, and Danny Kaye's "Hans Christian Andersen."

Some of the movies have never before been released on DVD, and many have not been available on Blu-ray disc or for digital download.

Jeff Baker, executive vice president of theatrical catalog for Warner Bros. home entertainment group, said many of the films will be released as part of packages the studio is already marketing under the brand of its sibling television network Turner Classic Movies. Warner has already released packs of movies, many starring or directed by such well known names as Kirk Douglas and John Ford, in Turner Classic Movies collections for less than $20.

"The theatrical catalog business has been resilient," Baker said. "Our business in catalog is virtually flat, which is outpacing the market."

Warner will start releasing films from Goldwyn's library on DVD late this year. Among the first will be "Guys and Dolls," "Wuthering Heights" with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon, and "The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant.

In the past, Samuel Goldwyn Jr.'s firm, the Samuel Goldwyn Co., released some of the movies on DVD in a partnership with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

"I'm very proud of these pictures and I'm pleased that they'll be released by a company that has so many great pictures of its own, like 'Gone With the Wind' and 'The Wizard of Oz,'" Samuel Goldwyn Jr. said.

Goldwyn's library includes 16 silent films such as "Stella Dallas," "The Winning of Barbara Worth" and "The Night of Love."

Last edited by ssjmichael; 03-30-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

I would guess certain titles like Guys & Dolls, Walter Mitty, Ball of Fire, Wuthering Heights, Pride of the Yankees, Best Years and some other notables could make Blu ray.
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 03-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
Love to see some of the older Dany Kaye titles hit blu. Used to have some on laserdisc and they looked phenominal for that format.
Yeah, but it's WARNER! They're all going to end up on the Archive, for being old!

(Get those old real Fox/MGM versions of Hans Christian Andersen on Amazon while you still can.)
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

On its face, this appears to be limited to films produced by Samuel Goldwyn Sr. What about other titles of The Samuel Goldwyn Company (Samuel Goldwyn Jr.'s company) that went to Orion just before it was folded into MGM, such as Tom Jones (1963)? Are they still with MGM? And just how did Samuel Goldwyn Jr. get his dad's films back from MGM when they were included in The Samuel Goldwyn Company's library?
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
I would guess certain titles like Guys & Dolls, Walter Mitty, Ball of Fire, Wuthering Heights, Pride of the Yankees, Best Years and some other notables could make Blu ray.
+1. Several of those were issued by MGM on pressed DVD (I have Best Years), so it makes little sense to add them to the Warner Archive (MOD). They're all likely to have at least some demand on BD, especially Best Years since it was a Best Picture winner.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Dunno how to feel towards this news.I mean,Warner still denies their own super classics from 30's and 40's like "The Big Sleep,"Arsenic and Old Lace","Captain Blood",etc.There is also a RKO library (Bringing Up Baby,The Magnificent Ambersons,Out of the Past,etc) and than pre-1986 MGM library (The Philadelphia Story,The Shop Around the Corner,The Bad and the Beautiful,etc).That's why this is mixed bag for me.WB are obviously mainly interested in releasing post 1970 catalogue stuff.
I'd love to see movies like "Dodsworth","Guys and Dolls",Wuthering Heights","Ball of Fire","The Little Foxes","The Bishop's Wife" on Blu,but i think only "The Best Years of Our Lives" will get its due (which would be great,ofcourse).Don't set your hopes too high,folks.

Last edited by Akijama; 03-31-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Dunno how to feel towards this news.I mean,Warner still denies their own super classics from 30's and 40's like "The Big Sleep,"Arsenic and Old Lace","Captain Blood",etc.There is also a RKO library (Bringing Up Baby,The Magnificent Ambersons,Out of the Past,etc) and than MGM library (The Philadelphia Story,The Shop Around the Corner,The Bad and the Beautiful,etc).That's why this is mixed bag for me.WB are obviously mainly interested in releasing post 1970 catalogue stuff.
I'd love to see movies like "Dodsworth","Guys and Dolls",Wuthering Heights","Ball of Fire","The Little Foxes","The Bishop's Wife" on Blu,but i think only "The Best Years of Our Lives" will get its due (which would be great,ofcourse).Don't set your hopes too high,folks.
Except that they didn't deny Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, Robin Hood, Maltese Falcon, Sierra Madre... they can't release everything right away, especially if it needs remastering for hi-def. They will come, people are just too impatient.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjmichael View Post

...This article seems to indicate plans for DVD releases only later this year but nothing planned for BD. ...
Studio people use the term "DVD" to refer to all physical media. It's extremely annoying...probably my biggest pet peeve.

When I recently bought the BD of 127 HOURS, the disc started off with a tutorial about how to use the Digital Copy. It had a nice lady saying, "My family loves to watch movies on DVD but when we want to watch movies on a portable device..." and then she tells us how to use the digital copy.

The point is, even though this was on a Blu-ray, the studio still uses "DVD" as the catchall phrase.

So when a studio says they plan to release something on DVD, they might mean DVD, BD or both.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I just bought the extremely rare HBO dvd release of Wuthering Heights a few months back. It looks very nice, but a restored blu-ray would be even better.
Except for the brief HBO release Wuthering Heights has never been released on dvd in the US.
I have always wondered what in the world was the problem with issuing it, but I also always thought Warner had the US rights to it.
guess that was not right.
until now.
I'm still trying to figure out if Warner is going to ever release the 30's gangster films or the Astaire/Rogers films on blu-ray.
just wish Warner would at least tell us some stuff they are working on.
After Singing in the Rain there are seemingly not even any rumors of what older classics they are tackling next.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-31-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Banned

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Studio people use the term "DVD" to refer to all physical media. It's extremely annoying...probably my biggest pet peeve.

When I recently bought the BD of 127 HOURS, the disc started off with a tutorial about how to use the Digital Copy. It had a nice lady saying, "My family loves to watch movies on DVD but when we want to watch movies on a portable device..." and then she tells us how to use the digital copy.

The point is, even though this was on a Blu-ray, the studio still uses "DVD" as the catchall phrase.

So when a studio says they plan to release something on DVD, they might mean DVD, BD or both.
Yeah that was what I originally thought too, but they also mentioned Blu-ray in the article so I figured they knew to not label them all as DVD. I do hope it is just a generalization by the article's editor and we do see some of these on BD later this year.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

It drives me crazy to see all the magazines and newspapers that STILL don't use the word BLU-RAY along with DVD in their review sections.
Even "Entertainment Weekly" still has only "DVD Reviews" as the heading for that section of the magazine.
I mean it's been 6 YEARS already.
so irritating.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
It drives me crazy to see all the magazines and newspapers that STILL don't use the word BLU-RAY along with DVD in their review sections.
Even "Entertainment Weekly" still has only "DVD Reviews" as the heading for that section of the magazine.
I mean it's been 6 YEARS already.
so irritating.
That's nothing compared to people calling it Blu-ray DVD or spelling it Blue-ray.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out if Warner is going to ever release the 30's gangster films or the Astaire/Rogers films on blu-ray.
just wish Warner would at least tell us some stuff they are working on.
After Singing in the Rain there are seemingly not even any rumors of what older classics they are tackling next.
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (50th Anniversary Edition) is coming around X-mas (they told me via their Warner Archive FB page).
Dial M For Murder 3D is also upcoming title.Of course,there is Strangers on a Train (already announced in Germany)....and that's it for now
Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

dang I knew about Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?--I had just forgotten about it.
but what is coming next?? other than the 2 you mentioned.
so frustrating.
please be Giant or The Big Sleep.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
dang I knew about Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?--I had just forgotten about it.
but what is coming next?? other than the 2 you mentioned.
so frustrating.
please be Giant or The Big Sleep.
Yeah,i asked them about Dean's and Bogart's classics too,and it's not going to happen this year.Frustrating,indeed
I learned two things in regard to Warner's attitude toward their catalogue stuff :
1.They don't bother too much with pre 1970 stuff.
2.Their priorities are following genres : SF,horror and thrillers.
That's why we are still waiting on some great (and not THAT old) stuff like :After Hours,Fearless or Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.Sure,someone will come and say "Be patience,they need time to restore/remaster old stuff"....nah!I don't buy it anymore.The also own pre 1986 MGM library which contains a LOT of stone cold classics,and they just sitting on them.
If we get 3-4 titles from Samuel Goldwyn library on Blu,we will be lucky,but i doubt it.

Last edited by Akijama; 04-01-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America