Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.98
BTOOOM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Persona 4 the Animation: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 03-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #1

Sep 2009
Default Intruders (2011)

I just finished watching this film and I'm surprised there's not a thread for it here, considering it is a pretty interesting movie. I loved the pacing and the music score was absolutely fantastic.

Has anyone else here seen it yet?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

was it better then Doomsday?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
What does Doomsday have to do with this film?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange

Intruders?

I've never heard of it. What's it about?
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

thought it was pretty interesting. aside from some pretty dated looking CGI i thought it was a solid, original flick. not quite what i expected it to be.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Sep 2009
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
Bahahaha, you're an idiot, you know you love Doomsday!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

Sep 2009
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Intruders?

I've never heard of it. What's it about?

The trailer make it seem like a typical horror movie, but I found it to be much more interesting than that. Especially after you get to find out the whole story, and while one of the major twists near the end is a little predictable, it kind of makes sense.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2008

One of the benefits of living (or at least attending college) in a big city is that limited-release movies are more likely to be showing nearby. Today I found out that the theatre around the block from my dorm was one of a whopping 33 in the country playing the British/Spanish horror movie Intruders. I caught the $6 matinee after lunch, curious and bored enough to kill some time with it. It was buried in the farthest auditorium from the entrance, surrounded between three others showing The Hunger Games. There were only 5 people there for the entire movie, which opened yesterday. A sixth came in at the start but left partway through, and towards the end a group wandered in from a different show and caught the third act. In other words, it's understandable that this movie isn't playing nationwide.

Not that there's nothing marketable here - it's a supernatural/psychological thriller from the director of 28 Weeks Later that stars Clive Owen. But it would have been hard to market the movie effectively to a wide audience - there's not much on the surface that makes it seem unique or interesting, and it doesn't help that a good chunk of the film is in Spanish (with English subtitles, of course). Still, with a reported budget of $13 million, and less than $5 million made during its European release last year (despite a #1 opening in Spain), it might have been wise to try and get as much out of this run as possible. Perhaps they consider it an ad campaign for the On Demand/DVD release.

I didn't like it enough to buy it, but I didn't feel that I'd wasted my $6 either. The movie tells the stories of two children haunted by nightly visions of a hooded apparition they call Hollowface - Juan, in Spain, and Mia, in Britain. Both of them are imaginative young children writing horror stories that seem to have a connection to Hollowface (though Mia is merely continuing a mysterious story she found in a tree's knothole). In a neat diversion from most of these kinds of movies, Juan's mother and Mia's father can both see Hollowface as well - though it seems no one else can. This allows for both parents to show the interesting character dimension of someone who realizes the threat but feels helpless to protect their child; it's a nice change of pace from the usual clueless adults.

Of course, there's also a connection between Juan and Mia beyond the writing, which I won't spoil here as it unravels throughout the film and leads up to a good old fashioned third-act reveal. I'll admit that the correct answer crossed my mind during the middle of the movie, but it was as a possibility, not a certainty. As such, I felt the twist was serviceable if not spectacular - it falls somewhere between The Sixth Sense and The Village. There are plenty of hints, however, so those who are thinking about it a bit more actively than I was may find it too obvious. Either way, at least one aspect of the film is left somewhat ambiguous, and it's nice to have something left to mull over once the runtime is up.

The movie has some decent suspense and doesn't resort to cheap jump scares, but overall it's not terribly scary. It relies more on plot, atmosphere, and characterization to keep the audience's interest. It looks the part with some very nice and moody cinematography, has decent music, and even makes effective and creative use of surround sound in a few moments. The acting is uniformly good, with Clive Owen doing a respectable job as Mia's father and both child actors being believable but not annoying. My pick for best performance is Pilar López de Ayala as Juan's mother, who plays fear and sadness very well while clearly conveying the fact she knows more than she's letting on.

Hollowface himself is a fairly intimidating monster, but not likely to become an icon of fright. He is described in the story Mia finds and continues as something with no face, form, or just about anything else, who aims to steal the face of a child. He appears in multiple forms - one of which is a floating, tattered, hooded cloak with monstrous hands reaching out of the sleeves. This is rendered, unfortunately, in less-than-stellar CGI. Thankfully, it is only seen in dark shots where much of it is often cloaked in shadow. Still, it is a bit distracting on occasion, as are a few other CG effects throughout the movie.

Overall, Intruders is a worthwhile but unspectacular effort. It does what it's expected to do without innovating much. It's mildly frightening, moderately interesting, and highly stylish. Don't expect to be wowed or scared out of your seat and it's an enjoyable enough little thriller. But if you don't happen to be near one of the handful of theatres showing it, you should probably just wait a few months for it to be available at home. You're not missing all that much.

3 / 5
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #9

Sep 2009
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Overall, Intruders is a worthwhile but unspectacular effort. It does what it's expected to do without innovating much. It's mildly frightening, moderately interesting, and highly stylish. Don't expect to be wowed or scared out of your seat and it's an enjoyable enough little thriller. But if you don't happen to be near one of the handful of theatres showing it, you should probably just wait a few months for it to be available at home. You're not missing all that much.

3 / 5
Well, I liked it a lot, but I agree with you, it's nothing spectacular in any way, I just found it interesting that no one here has even mentioned it.

You're right about what you mentioned about large sections of it being in Spanish, but that's why it's subtitled. I never understood why is that such a big problem for American audiences. There are so many great films out there that are not in English. Language should not be an issue when it comes to cinema, I think.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikilla View Post
Well, I liked it a lot, but I agree with you, it's nothing spectacular in any way, I just found it interesting that no one here has even mentioned it.

You're right about what you mentioned about large sections of it being in Spanish, but that's why it's subtitled. I never understood why is that such a big problem for American audiences. There are so many great films out there that are not in English. Language should not be an issue when it comes to cinema, I think.
well duh, Americans don;'t like reading..
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Expert Member

Oct 2008

For the record, I have no problem with foreign films, watch a ton, am fine with subtitles, and speak some Spanish anyway. But unfortunately there are quite a few people who are repulsed by the thought of reading during a movie. It didn't affect my enjoyment at all, but it is a legitimate business concern.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

Watching this right now. Shocked there was no Blu thread and a barely discussed movie thread for it
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

This movie was so bad and disappointing.
1.5/10
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/Fruitvale Station
Want:Diary of a Wimpy kid uv/ Far and away uv
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #14

Oct 2013

There were only 5 people there for the entire movie, which opened yesterday. A sixth came in at the start but left partway through

Last edited by eguchijw; 10-21-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguchijw View Post
There were only 5 people there for the entire movie, which opened yesterday. A sixth came in at the start but left partway through
this movie came out last year not yesterday...

it came out long ago enough that i dont even remember posting in this thread or really anything about the movie.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguchijw View Post
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies