Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$155.33
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.70
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Girls und Panzer: Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Vikings: Season One (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver
Question Buying a new blu-ray shelf

So my 2 Ikea shelfs are completely filled up now, and obviously I just can't stop buying Blu's :roll eyes: , so that means only one this. NEW SHELF! I have my eye on this one

http://www.racksandstands.com/Atlant...14-AL0376.html

does anyone have this? hows the build quality? Anything else you can tell me? Also what stores are the best to look for new shelfs? I want one built for movies in mind (like the one I posted). Please keep in mind I live in CANADA, so american stores are useless to me. Also has anyone every bought anything from http://www.racksandstands.com/ before? They look pretty legit!

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Fascinating... - Spock

There's ALWAYS money in the Banana Stand! - George Bluth

Son of a bit*h, I'm sick of these dolphins. - Steve Zissou
Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Anyone?
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

I've been looking into buying a new shelf but don't really want to spend alot of money.Theres been a few guys on here who have built there own,which is what i'd like to do.You can actually have the Lowes or whatever store cut all the wood pieces for you,so it shouldnt be too hard.I just need to figure out some dimensions first.Otherwise i think that rack you're looking at would work fine.
Basement ''mancave'' setup :
Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector,Focupix 100'' manual screen,APC-H10,Onkyo 805,Emotiva XPA-3,PS- 3 slim, Polk Rti-12, Polk CS2,Polk Monitor 60(rears),PSA XV-15 Emotiva Utra Sub 12
Living room setup:
Panasonic TC-60PU54 ''60 Plasma,Onkyo 705, PS- 3 80GB(MGS4 Bundle edition)w/ upgraded 500 gb HD,Eosone RSF1000 tower speakers, Polk Fxi-5,Polk Csi-25

PSN ID: ADAPPJ28
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2007
Minnesota

Seems a little 'pricey' for shelving. I'd look around town more and see what you can find. Maybe it's just me being irked by how much people charge for 'particle board'. $170 for something that cost about $25 in materials (though I could be way off).

It says it holds almost 600 Blus. Don't know how many you currently have and whether you're planning on ditching the shelves you're currently using or if you're gonna need one that holds that many.

Sorry I wasn't more help than just my .02
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

I wouldn't buy a fiberboard shelve. I had a cabinet for ages that was built out of it in my basement that I used to hold a vinyl record player. There wasn't a lot or weight on it. I was able to, after removing my equipment, literally collapse the whole thing. I went to a local store that sells shelving and noticed how flimsy a lot of them were.

Shelves need to be sturdy for obvious reasons and fiberboard will never give you that because they eventually sag or will collapse.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

That's similar to the one I have. Yours looks like it has adjustable shelves though.

You will need to screw it into the wall or else it will definitely fall over. It's also a ***** to move, so put it together as close to where you're going to keep it as possible.

Also, the top shelf isn't big enough for BDs, which is a disappointment. But overall, I'd recommend it. I'm getting close to needing to find another shelf myself.

Atlanta Braves: 10-5 (through 4/17)

BDs For Sale/Trade

PSN: ArsSycro
XBox: Ars Sycro

Currently Reading: The Cuckoo's Calling

Last edited by sycro; 04-15-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycro View Post
That's similar to the one I have. Yours looks like it has adjustable shelves though.

You will need to screw it into the wall or else it will definitely fall over. It's also a ***** to move, so put it together as close to where you're going to keep it as possible.

Also, the top shelf isn't big enough for BDs, which is a disappointment. But overall, I'd recommend it. I'm getting close to needing to find another shelf myself.

what shelf is it that you have?
Fascinating... - Spock

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2011

That looks like the one I have. I got it at best buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
what shelf is it that you have?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO

It's from Best Buy. It's the same company (Atlantic), but it's not quite as large.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlantic...&skuId=9735365
Atlanta Braves: 10-5 (through 4/17)

BDs For Sale/Trade

PSN: ArsSycro
XBox: Ars Sycro

Currently Reading: The Cuckoo's Calling
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

Nov 2010
VA

This is what I have. Pretty decent quality.

http://www.target.com/p/Atlantic-Esp..._qi_detaillink

I Print And Ship Custom Blu-ray Cover Art & Slipcovers
My Trade List - Blu-rays/Slips/DCs FT/S and Wants
I Print And Ship Custom Blu-ray Cover Art & Slipcovers
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS
*Read My Tradelist Before PMing Me About Custom Cover Art & Slipcovers*
My Custom Slipcovers Are YouTube Reviewed - Check Out My Trade List For The Videos
Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

Feb 2012
Ohio

I looked at shelves similar to those, found too many reviews on amazon and elsewhere about damage during shipping and a little flimsy. Seemed simple enough to build one, which I did and I'm very happy with it. I built mine 60" wide as I didn't want to deal with any vertical dividers.
I have plenty of space for future titles and filled in the gaps with some box sets, steelbooks, and others.
BR storage2.jpg
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyTown View Post
I looked at shelves similar to those, found too many reviews on amazon and elsewhere about damage during shipping and a little flimsy. Seemed simple enough to build one, which I did and I'm very happy with it. I built mine 60" wide as I didn't want to deal with any vertical dividers.
I have plenty of space for future titles and filled in the gaps with some box sets, steelbooks, and others.
Attachment 46490
Man that looks great,can you give more details,like did you have the store cut the boards for you,did you paint it etc.,i'm looking to build one too,thanks !
Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector,Focupix 100'' manual screen,APC-H10,Onkyo 805,Emotiva XPA-3,PS- 3 slim, Polk Rti-12, Polk CS2,Polk Monitor 60(rears),PSA XV-15 Emotiva Utra Sub 12
Living room setup:
Panasonic TC-60PU54 ''60 Plasma,Onkyo 705, PS- 3 80GB(MGS4 Bundle edition)w/ upgraded 500 gb HD,Eosone RSF1000 tower speakers, Polk Fxi-5,Polk Csi-25

Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #13

Feb 2012
Ohio

My father cut the pieces and painted them during the week. Then on a weekend we put it together in my basement (I've got stairs to my basement that make a 90 degree turn so this wouldn't have made it down the steps if it was pre-assembled.)
We used standard size lumber; the vertical sides and middle shelves are all 3/4" X 5 5/8" and the top and bottom pieces are 3/4" X 7 5/8" - so there's a little over-hang on the top and bottom. It was my dad's idea to router slots in the vertical pieces to put in adjustable wall shelving strips - with the routing they're flush with the rest of the wood (these are the white strips you see in the photo). I didn't need the shelves to be adjustable, but it did make it much quicker to screw in place a few of the shelves to make the unit sturdier. After we attached the backing board it sat right up against the wall and then I put a few screws through the back into the studs in the wall to keep in place.
We're building speaker stands for my L & R surrounds now that I hope to have installed this weekend.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #14

Nov 2010

Quote:
Attachment 46490
Very nice.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Power Member

Mar 2009
KC,MO.

Quote:
My father cut the pieces and painted them during the week. Then on a weekend we put it together in my basement (I've got stairs to my basement that make a 90 degree turn so this wouldn't have made it down the steps if it was pre-assembled.)
We used standard size lumber; the vertical sides and middle shelves are all 3/4" X 5 5/8" and the top and bottom pieces are 3/4" X 7 5/8" - so there's a little over-hang on the top and bottom. It was my dad's idea to router slots in the vertical pieces to put in adjustable wall shelving strips - with the routing they're flush with the rest of the wood (these are the white strips you see in the photo). I didn't need the shelves to be adjustable, but it did make it much quicker to screw in place a few of the shelves to make the unit sturdier. After we attached the backing board it sat right up against the wall and then I put a few screws through the back into the studs in the wall to keep in place.
We're building speaker stands for my L & R surrounds now that I hope to have installed this weekend.
Thanks for the reply,i wish i was that handy,but i don't really have any tools.
Living room setup:

Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus74 View Post
Thanks for the reply,i wish i was that handy,but i don't really have any tools.
it depends how fancy you want to go. I don't have tools either, I asked them to cut everything to length where I bought the wood. When I got home all I needed to do was screw everything together (I used screws and L vrackets for the shelves)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #17

Feb 2008
Detroit

These units are also sold on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-38435...155206&sr=1-15

I have 3 of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-63135...ic+dvd+storage
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
Special Member

Jan 2010

I've found good use out of these store bought ones:

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
NYC

I used a CD tower when I first started out but my collection has since outgrown it by a lot. Need to buy something big now
Old 06-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #20

Dec 2008
Charlottesville, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrock View Post
This is what I have. Pretty decent quality.

http://www.target.com/p/Atlantic-Esp..._qi_detaillink

Target has this one for $90.99 right now.. I am picking one up later tonight...
Lush23's FT/FS Thread

TV: Samsung UN55D6900
Receiver: Denon AVR-1912
Speakers: Klipsch RF-25 Floorstanding Speakers, Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers (4), Polk Audio TSi CS10 Center Speaker
SUB: Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 Subwoofer, Polk Audio PSW110
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion