Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$12.85
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
$18.44
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.69
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.29
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Greatest Hits (PS3)
$16.44
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
Record of Agarest War 2 (PS3)
$14.31
The Last of Us (PS3)
$18.90
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
France Beyond: Two Souls

A placeholder for the thread to be discussed again. Reason is obvious.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK

Last edited by Toxa; 04-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

The Pre-order just appeared today on Amazon.com. Naturally I put it in my wishlist.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
Weston-super-Mare, UK

Trailer:

Gameplay:

My top 2017 films: Logan, Ghost in the Shell, Fast & Furious 8, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, War of the Planet of the Apes, IT.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Just a post ti get me back in the thread. can't remember all the intervies I posted in the last one
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Managed to salvage this.

I have a feeling this game is going to be a bigger pain in the ass to Platinum than Heavy Rain. So hopefully there isn't another trophy for viewing every possible ending! And the spirits called Aiden, not Ivan!

(Spoiler Tags used to save space)

Quote:
E3 2012: Interview: David Cage on why Beyond isn't another Heavy Rain
By Timm Clark for CVG UK

Most of E3's truly stunning games are destined for next-gen platforms, games like Star Wars: 1313 and Watch Dogs. David Cage's Beyond: Two Souls looked equally incredible, but here's the amazing bit: it's running entirely on the PS3. How is this possible, and how does it work?

"People think we are going to have twenty levels of Jodie running in the forest riding the bike, which is absolutely not the case," David Cage tells us before the interview has even begun. "Because it's the only time you're running in the forest, it's the only time you're chased, it's the only time you're on a bike. Our aim was to make the game fully organic."

"So you really get the feeling you're not in a videogame but you are in a cinematic experience. Although it's interactive all the time, don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying it's not interactive. I'm just saying its organic, it's different, it's diverse."

The game plays out across 15 years, so we'll get to see the main character as a little girl. Did you also use Ellen Page for her, or did you have a child actress?
[Show spoiler]
We used a tiny Ellen Page! Sorry, sorry. Ellen is playing the character of Jodie between 14 and an adult. And the young version is played by a young actress, who's an American actress. She's eight or nine years old.

So, will it be like Heavy Rain, with dynamic gameplay and storytelling, where if you fail to make one quick-time event something else happens?

[Show spoiler]It's not so much about quick time events. I mean, it's exactly the same way as Heavy Rain. This is what I've not explained. What I've shown you here is just one walkthrough. It's just one version of a scene, and depending how you play, you will see many different things. You can get arrested in this scene, for example, and unlock an entirely new part of the scene that you've not seen before. And this is true of each scene. Each scene can be played in different ways and you can see different things. But the scale of the full story is the same depending on the actions and decisions that you make. It's not about succeeding or failing, it's about what you do, what you decide, what you choose. You will have consequences in your life. So this is what is really important.

At the moment there seems to be the same sort of button prompts as Heavy Rain...

[Show spoiler]This has the same interface at the moment. That may still change before the end, (but) this is not the same gameplay. In Heavy Rain, where Jayden was chased in the market, for example, you were just evading the cops. He was running on his own, he was choosing his gun on his own, you were just choosing prompts. Here, when she's in the forest, you are controlling Jodie. When she runs on the slope, when she runs in the forest, when she runs in the train, wherever she is. You're in control all the time and the prompts are used much more like in God of War.

How large was that area?

Large.

Could she have run a long way left and right?

[Show spoiler]Of course, of course. Again, we just chose one path, we just showed one way, but you are almost free to go wherever you want all the time. This is something I can spend two hours explaining. You won't get it until you've played it, actually. But the big difference also with Heavy Rain is we have much more exploration in, beyond that we which we had on Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain was mainly set in small environments or in small houses.

Interesting. So there's going to be a greater sense of scale this time?

[Show spoiler]In Beyond you will have a mix of different types of areas. You will have a lot of exploration. There are many things that you will see and discover, and I think people will be surprised by the size of some areas and how detailed they can be, even though they are much, much bigger.

So, kind of following on from that, how did you approach this from a writing perspective? What kind of lessons did you take from Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit in terms of the way you make scenes work? And how has you philosophy changed since Heavy Rain?

[Show spoiler]I wouldn't say the philosophy has changed since Heavy Rain. It's a different story in a different style and a different genre, with a different balance of action and narrative and adventure. And it's just a different flavour, and I think improved in all areas. We will talk properly about the technology at some point, because that also improves the way it's filmed. But the idea is not to create another videogame, that plays like a videogame and looks like a videogame, where you got, you know, a character in cycles that moves like this. We want to create something that's fully organic, in a matter of animations but also in a matter of storytelling.

Can you expand on that?

[Show spoiler]So we tried to create something completely different where it becomes an emotional journey; where you leave with this character and you start your life, you spend time with them, you share how she feels, and your actions with her will have consequences. But you will also discover this entity, about what's on the other side, because this game is really about what's on the other side. This game is about death, it's about what will happen to us after we die. And depending on how you play, this is something Jodie may or may not discover.

How has your approach to scripting changed for Beyond?

[Show spoiler]What I tried to create is a story in which you feel you are free, and in which you feel that each time you do something there is a logical consequence to your actions. So this is how I feel. Now, what's new compared to Heavy Rain? Is there a sandbox aspect to it, where it's less driven. It's a little bit more open. It's not the case all the time, but what I tried to create is the illusion. Every time you forget that this is videogame with a programmer and in pixels, then (claps hands) I'll be happy. I'll make you forget that this is a game. I want you just to forget about everything and just be with Jodie.

So again, what is tricky for me is to tell you about these themes and tell you about emotions. We need to start with something, and starting with an action scene, which is probably the most unexpected thing from Quantic Dream, we just wanted to see how what we learned about narrative, about cinematography, could be applied to an action sequence. Could we really create the sense that this is a manhunt? That you need to run for your life, that you have dogs on you, and you have cops, but also (we wanted to create) a strange feeling of this tiny girl who seems so fragile and vulnerable, who has real power in her. This is all. These are some of the themes that we wanted to talk about.

You talk about the young character, but what about Aiden? Do we switch characters?

[Show spoiler]Sometimes the story triggers the fact that, yeah, you need to be Aiden. But sometimes you can switch. Most of the time you can switch. What I want to say is that Jodie evolves through time, but Aiden also changes. His personality will change depending on what you did - and you'll want to establish this relationship.

What about the relationship between the two? Can they talk to each other?

[Show spoiler]You know, I've always been fascinated by people talking to no-one, to an invisible friend. I think there's something really weird about this. This is where the idea came from with Jodie.

How do Aiden's powers work? When he was getting rid of the SWAT guys, how is that power limited? If you can just possess anyone it would be quite easy.

[Show spoiler]I try to have as little mechanics as I can, because I don't like mechanics. Mechanics are the opposite of life. Life is organic, it's chaotic. It's not like a set of rules, so this is what I try to do in my work. But we have a couple of rules, and one rule is that depending on the aura, the colour of the aura, you know what you can do with people. Orange auras allow you to possess them and red auras allow you to shock them - so you can kill them. But all this is not like a set of rules, it's not set in stone - it's our mechanics. What you can do with Aiden depends on the age of Jodie. His power grows. But it also depends on the mental state of Jodie. If she's really tired, if she's really in bad shape, Aiden's power gets lower and lower. So it really depends.

There's no actual physical skill to using him, though? If he's got an orange aura you can possess him. You don't have to do anything?

Yes, you have to play with sticks. There is a little timed gameplay with the sticks.

It seems like Aiden is only coming out when Jodie is about to get caught, like with the dogs. Does the player need to fail for Aiden to come out?

[Show spoiler]Something's that's established very early on in the story is Aiden cannot interact with living beings. So she cannot blast people, she can only blast objects. So that's the big difference. We really play with this rule and try to create different situations where Jodie has to get rid of the dogs on her own, or sometimes she can get different objects to get rid of people.
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
Send a message via MSN to Toxa

the previous thread is gone ?
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa View Post
Aye, 'tis true. Lost to Davey Jones locker.
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Oppo UHD-203, Oppo BDP-93 & Sony UBP-X800B
PS4 Pro 1TB
Polk Monitor 50s Mains, CSI A4 Center, RTI A1s & 2 SVS PC-12s / PSN ID: Omegaice
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
All threads created and all thread activity from the last 7 weeks to be more precise.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Everything from the past 7 weeks!

Arrg...
Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Well, I thought that De Niro was going to be co star in this, after what the rep said during that 25min of screen video. But latest rumour suggests Willem Defoe.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Power Member

Aug 2009
Sacramento, CA
-
-

Both are great, but I actually see Willem doing a better job in the format.

Didn't someone say the trailer and the tech demo were on the PS Store? I tried looking for them last night, but couldn't find them
Damn fine coffee!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Can't wait for this. Love me some Ellen Page. I just hope that Quantic Dream has done a little tweaking with their voice acting. In the trailer, Ellen refers to the spirit(?) as "Eiden", hope it doesn't turn out be "Aidan" and they just have her mispronounce it, like how the actors in "Heavy Rain" all pronounced "origami" differently. Hope it doesn't get pushed to 2014. Cage seemed awful vague about a release date around E3... "So, when's it coming out?" "2013." Gee, thanks for that.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

This looks darn good.

Since Heavy Rain dropped to $20 at Amazon, I ordered it. Although I'm none too fond of the acting (except for Shelby) and the script really could have used a few more rewrites, I'm enjoying it for the core concept and mood. Honestly, I could have played a whole game as Ethan Mars, architect and family man.

From what's been revealed so far, Beyond: Two Souls seems to be to Heavy Rain what Assassin's Creed II was to Assassin's Creed.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Special Member

May 2007
San Diego

From comic con today:

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Crap. I didn't log on at home yesterday (busy with my first playthrough of Heavy Rain) so I didn't see that video. YouTube, though not blocked, is heavily monitored at work. It's gonna be a long wait 'til the clock strikes 4PM so I can head home to watch it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-13-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24SD View Post
From comic con today:
More comic con stuff, 8 minutes of BTS Mocap:

Full 43 min comic con panel (haven't even watched this one yet)

YNWA.

Don't point that gun at him, he's an unpaid intern.

My 1000th Blu-ray: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

PSN: DwightSchrute12
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Sweet concept art

Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

I just finished my first playthrough of HR and enjoyed it more than I could ever have imagined. So I am more excited than ever for this game.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I just finished my first playthrough of HR and enjoyed it more than I could ever have imagined. So I am more excited than ever for this game.
How long did it take you to finish HR?
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Oppo UHD-203, Oppo BDP-93 & Sony UBP-X800B
PS4 Pro 1TB
Polk Monitor 50s Mains, CSI A4 Center, RTI A1s & 2 SVS PC-12s / PSN ID: Omegaice
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
How long did it take you to finish HR?
Maybe 2 or 3 days, since I also had a bunch of BD's arrive from Amazon. The game is not that long. But the branching paths and the moral (and split second) decisions make it worth it. I'm currently replaying it and things are playing out a bit differently since I don't remember exactly how I accomplished certain scenarios (the conversation in the convenience store comes to mind) and doing far better in others ( for instance, butterfly was much easier to accomplish since I remembered the approach I figured out).

If you haven't played it, I highly recommend it. It's not perfect (some of the writing is off and there's also some spotty acting) but the ambition and mood make it a very satisfying experience.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3