COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
Curtains (Blu-ray)
$17.47
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL
Default This Is CINERAMA Sept 25

This is CINERAMA Blu-ray

Coming from Flicker Alley.

In celebration of the 60th Anniversary of its premiere, Flicker Alley is proud to present THIS IS CINERAMA, exactly as seen by over 20,000,000 viewers in its original roadshow version. You will travel around the world with Cinerama, from Venice to Madrid, from Edinburgh Castle to the La Scala opera house in Milan, and concluding with a flight across America in the nose of a B-25 bomber.

This Is Cinerama / Directed by Robert L. Bendick / 1952 / 127 min. / Color / Sound

Presented in the "Smilebox" curved screen simulation

On the evening of September 30, 1952, the shape and sound of movies changed forever with the introduction of Cinerama. This unique widescreen process was launched when television was deemed as major threat to US film exhibition. Fred Waller, Cinerama's creator, had indeed labored that long on his dream of a motion picture experience that would recreate the full range of human vision. It used three cameras and three projectors on a curved screen 146°deep.

Bonus Features Include:
-Audio commentary track: With John Sittig (Cinerama, Inc.), Dave Strohmaier (Cinerama Historian), Randy Gitsch (TIC Locations background), and special audio recording from Jim Morrison (original crew member).
-This Is Cinerama Breakdown Reel - 9 min.
-Alternate Act II Opening for European Versions - 2 min.
-This Is Cinerama Trailer re-created HD - 3 min.
-TV Spots: This is Cinerama and Seven Wonders of the World –- 1 min. each
-Tribute to the New Neon Movies: A video short celebrating the Cinerama revival in Dayton Ohio, 1996-1999, in which a lone projectionist sets up Cinerama for special screenings to people from all over the country. - 14 min.
-Tribute to the New Cooper: The first Super Cinerama Theater - 4 minutes
-Special Photo Galleries: featuring behind the scenes shots, the original program booklet and press memorabilia newspaper ads, and publicity stills
-Fred Waller Radio interviews audio only: Original 1952 radio interviews with Fred Waller on the eve of opening night. - 15 mins.

Trailer:

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
PA

That actually looks kinda neat. I liked the trailer specially when it goes widescreen and the curtains open. That had to be something to see in the theater back then.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

The cover looks like a 50's New Wave French film, though--Couldn't we have a Cinerama-movie cover in, y'know, color?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
The cover looks like a 50's New Wave French film, though--Couldn't we have a Cinerama-movie cover in, y'know, color?
Did the original film even have a painted poster?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia
Default pre-order

This is CINERAMA Blu-ray
Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Jul 2007

Unless I'm mistaken, you can pre-order this directly from Flicker Alley for $29; a full $10 less than amazon.
Bravia KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71 for music play), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A collection, SACD collection| Future: Panasonic VIERA TX65AX900 or Toshiba 65L9400U 4K Ultra HDTV
Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

I was relieved to see that this will be dual-layer.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #8

Aug 2010
Chicago

I'll definitely pick this up. I enjoyed HTWWW in Smilebox. Now if they would release The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, I'll be happy.
Film lovers are sick people.
-Francois Truffaut
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen2002 View Post
That actually looks kinda neat. I liked the trailer specially when it goes widescreen and the curtains open. That had to be something to see in the theater back then.
I didn't see "This Is Cinerama" in its original release, but I did see "How The West Was Won" in its original release and even without starting the film on only one projector and then expanding to the three, it was amazingly impressive from a PQ and AQ perspective. So much so that I went back to see it again a few months later in spite of roadshow ticket prices being almost like seeing a Broadway show in those days. And it was one of my early audio experiences (along with West Side Story and several other 70mm films) that made me want to pursue audio engineering (which I eventually did).

But there is no way that you can reproduce Cinerama in the home, no matter how large the screen. There's a big difference between "Smilerama" and actually having a deeply curved screen (146 degrees in most Cinerama installations). The big change in Cinerama theatres from what came before was that there was no proscenium and no stage. The screen extended from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. And the screens were really big: 90 feet wide in some cases.

The reality is that especially before HTWWW, all of the Cinerama movies were travelogues, much like the early days of IMAX were. HTWWW was successful (although in reality, at least half the movie was actually shot 65mm and optically expanded to three 35mm strips of film rather than being shot with Cinerama cameras) and that led to other scripted films, although everything after HTWWW was shot 65mm, frequently in Ultra Panavision, so there was a 1.25 squeeze to give a 2.75:1 AR on film (although this is reduced in perception, since there's a deeply curved screen). So almost none of the Cinerama films, either real Cinerama or fake Cinerama, were very good movies, they were just great experiences.

And even with that, critics and consumers really criticized the visible lines between the projectors. They improved that a bit over time by having a moving gobo on the edges of the frame that tried to make it less visible, but even the trailer that was posted, you see distortion as objects move across the frame line.

Does anyone really want to see Windjammer or Cinerama South Seas Adventure? And of the "fake" Cinerama films, does anyone want to see Circus World, Mediterranean Holiday, The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Hallelujah Trail, The Battle of The Bulge, Khartoum, Grand Prix, Custer of the West or Ice Station Zebra? They were terrible movies. The only "Cinerama" film that has stood the test of time aside from "HTTWW" is "2001" and for some people, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

Aug 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Does anyone really want to see Windjammer or Cinerama South Seas Adventure? And of the "fake" Cinerama films, does anyone want to see Circus World, Mediterranean Holiday, The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Hallelujah Trail, The Battle of The Bulge, Khartoum, Grand Prix, Custer of the West or Ice Station Zebra? They were terrible movies. The only "Cinerama" film that has stood the test of time aside from "HTTWW" is "2001" and for some people, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
I think the only two non-travelogue films in true Cinerama were HTWWW and Brothers Grimm. Films like The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Hallelujah Trail, The Battle of The Bulge, Khartoum, Grand Prix, Custer of the West or Ice Station Zebra were shot in 70mm, and shown on Cinerama Screens in Cinerama theatres, but were not shot with three separate rigs. These films had great roadshow releases with reserved seats, etc., but were technically not Cinerama films.
Film lovers are sick people.
-Francois Truffaut
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Mar 2011

See other older threads on this.

e.g. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=108186

note that two movies released in Cinerama are coming out Sept 25, 2012 from Flicker Alley. This Is Cinerama and Windjammer: The Voyage of the Christian Radich. The second was filmed in the rival Cinemiracle but widely released in Cinerama. Currently definitely cheaper from Flicker Alley directly rather than Amazon.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Has Flicker Alley released on Blu-ray previously? In looking through their catalog the only other BD I see is The Most Dangerous Game/Gow the Headhunter, which is also a pre-order. I'm interested in both This is Cinerama and Windjammer, and ordering direct from them is definitely the way to go, but I'll wait for a review and/or member impressions.
When you boil it all down, what does a man really need? Just a smoke and a cup of coffee. - Johnny Guitar
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemave View Post
I think the only two non-travelogue films in true Cinerama were HTWWW and Brothers Grimm. Films like The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Hallelujah Trail, The Battle of The Bulge, Khartoum, Grand Prix, Custer of the West or Ice Station Zebra were shot in 70mm, and shown on Cinerama Screens in Cinerama theatres, but were not shot with three separate rigs. These films had great roadshow releases with reserved seats, etc., but were technically not Cinerama films.
You are absolutely right - HTWWW and Brothers Grimm are the only two narrative films to have been filmed in the real 3-panel Cinerama process.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jan 2012
USA

This looks quite interesting for the landscape parts and to see how the cities looked back then. I will probably wait for a price drop on this, by at least half.
BD Wishlist: Grandma's Boy, Splendor in the Grass, Ginger Snaps Trilogy, That Night, Roman Holiday.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vw Driver View Post
This looks quite interesting for the landscape parts and to see how the cities looked back then. I will probably wait for a price drop on this, by at least half.
I wouldn't count on that Vw Driver. Diehard CINERAMA fans worldwide have been waiting for this baby since the beginning of home video...it's been a total MIA in every format until now. Until Blu-ray and especially SmileBox there wasn't any credible way to present them anyway.

I pre-ordered both This Is Cinerama and Windjammer day one from Flicker Alley directly at $29.95, and I see both titles are still available from the label at that introductory price. I doubt you'll see them go much lower. Specialty titles like this tend to be available for a while with very little movement on price, and then suddenly one day, just become 'unavailable'. These are definitely not high volume runs...

Last edited by ROclockCK; 09-04-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #16

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Has Flicker Alley released on Blu-ray previously? In looking through their catalog the only other BD I see is The Most Dangerous Game/Gow the Headhunter, which is also a pre-order. I'm interested in both This is Cinerama and Windjammer, and ordering direct from them is definitely the way to go, but I'll wait for a review and/or member impressions.
They have released a few other Blu-ray. "A Trip to the Moon" and "Inferno".

The restorations on which these are based have been shown in digital. This is Cinerama looks to be in pretty good shape after the restoration. Windjammer was at first thought to be lost in three panel. The restoration finally had to use composite elements including a 35mm scope print. http://www.in70mm.com/news/2009/windjammer/index.htm
Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

If Amazon's price doesn't drop under $30 in the next week or so, I may order this directly from Flicker Alley for $29.96 shipped.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
You are absolutely right - HTWWW and Brothers Grimm are the only two narrative films to have been filmed in the real 3-panel Cinerama process.
I'm going to the LA screenings of HTWWW and TiC at the cinerama dome in two weeks. Cannot wait!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #19

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Has Flicker Alley released on Blu-ray previously? In looking through their catalog the only other BD I see is The Most Dangerous Game/Gow the Headhunter, which is also a pre-order.
Inferno
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Mexico

why its so expensive??? its a steelbook? limited edition numbered? digibook??
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America