Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
5 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Jan 2010
Default Steelbook Values vs Standard Special releases

Ok so Im really just getting into the Steelbook game here. I was around here before but I never got any for whatever reason, cant really remember why. This was still when things like the Future shop Iron Man and the John Rambo were starting to get expensive. Now they're even moreso. This are the big ones, a lot of Steels get pricey especially once they go out of print.

Thing is what I have noticed is that a special edition Standard Amaray/blu ray dont get nearly as valuable.

Any ideas why?

Special edition also usually come with more discs, special features sometime other goodies etc. Sure some of the steels do too it seems, but some also just have one disc and minimal special features. You also get a lot of special edition boxed sets and things like that with the standard disc, though those don't seem to get very valuable either. You would think they would.

Any ideas why that is? Are steelbooks really that rare?

Do you think Steelbooks are just a passing fad or a lasting collectible?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Banned

Jun 2012
Illinois Steelbooks===> 40

I'm kind of new to the steelbook scene myself and I noticed that my batman begins Japanese steelbook has tripled in price since I got it a few months ago. It's now oop and may also br because if the upcoming release of TDKR. It is also based in the availability and quantity in which each unique steel is released in.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Banned

Jun 2012

All I know is that after seeing how valuable iron man FS and iron man MM exclusives are now, I will never pass up an oppurtunity like that again. Which is why I have
Preordered both play.com iron mans and 2 avengers FS steels.

I'm not in it for the money by any means but if the situation ever arises where money is a serious concern for me, at least I'll have something to sell if need be.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Steelbooks are more limited than amaray versions thats why they are collectible.

There are more reasons :

Its harder to find a steelbook in mint condition (even if its new)
Steelbooks are usually exclusive to a particular store (meaning even less of them)
Sometimes steelbooks are released with art that no other version has.
There are a growing amount of steelbook collectors.
Blu ray is possibly the last stand in optical disc storage technology, which means blu ray might possibly be the best a movie will ever look in packaging. Steelbooks happen to be damn fine packaging.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Aug 2009
San Francisco, CA

It really just depends on the print run. A lot of 'limited editions' really aren't limited. The US Scarface steelbook is technically a limited edition, but every country got those and they can be found anywhere for pretty cheap. In general though, I would say that steelbooks do have lower print runs than other limited editions. There are exceptions of course. One that comes to mind is Best Buy's exclusive Zombieland Nut Up or Shut Up amaray. To be honest though, I think the days of truly rare steelbooks are passing. Don't go buying them thinking they're the new FS Iron Man. Sure, some are bound to be rare, but as blu-ray is now fairly mainstream print runs are increasing. Just my opinion, I still buy them cuz they look awesome.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

Oct 2010
U.S.

I have noticed some digi books have a very limited run.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugjustice View Post
All I know is that after seeing how valuable iron man FS and iron man MM exclusives are now, I will never pass up an oppurtunity like that again. Which is why I have Preordered both play.com iron mans and 2 avengers FS steels.
The FS version of Avengers is a Viva case, not Steelbook. If you're looking for an actual Steelbook go with the German 3D or UK 2D.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee were there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music. The Oakland Raiders moved to L.A. and then back to Oakland; no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice. Continued expansion diluted the talent pool, forcing owners to recruit heavily from prisons, mental institutions, and Texas."
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Jan 2010

Quote:
All I know is that after seeing how valuable iron man FS and iron man MM exclusives are now, I will never pass up an oppurtunity like that again. Which is why I have
Preordered both play.com iron mans and 2 avengers FS steels.

I'm not in it for the money by any means but if the situation ever arises where money is a serious concern for me, at least I'll have something to sell if need be.
Right I've seen that too, but whats the way to know if another ones going to be that valuable again? Is it just a dice roll? I havnt seen a resource that says anything about steelbook production numbers.

Also that's also if the bottom of this doesn't drop out at somepoint which there is no guarantee. I mean I have a few full sets of basketball cards that were once worth quite a bit of money are now they're pretty much worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
Steelbooks are more limited than amaray versions thats why they are collectible.

There are more reasons :

Its harder to find a steelbook in mint condition (even if its new)
Steelbooks are usually exclusive to a particular store (meaning even less of them)
Sometimes steelbooks are released with art that no other version has.
There are a growing amount of steelbook collectors.
Blu ray is possibly the last stand in optical disc storage technology, which means blu ray might possibly be the best a movie will ever look in packaging. Steelbooks happen to be damn fine packaging.
That makes sense, I also really like the packaging.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Banned

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
The FS version of Avengers is a Viva case, not Steelbook. If you're looking for an actual Steelbook go with the German 3D or UK 2D.
Please explain the difference
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #10

Aug 2009
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
Please explain the difference
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=180356

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=70477
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Banned

Jun 2012

I found those shortly after replying. In your opinion which is better? I ask cause I like the "A" of the futureshop exclusive and because it's from futureshop. I'm looking for the next "iron man" hit steel. Is this metal pack it?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

The avengers isn't to get rare because its popularity is through the roof.

If you want a rare steelbook you have to find one that has a particular circumstance attached to it. Disney USA steels having being vaulted and no longer using steels in favour of Viva cases is one.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #13

Aug 2009
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
I found those shortly after replying. In your opinion which is better? I ask cause I like the "A" of the futureshop exclusive and because it's from futureshop. I'm looking for the next "iron man" hit steel. Is this metal pack it?
If I had to guess which will become more rare I'd say the Futureshop Viva case (unless Best Buy USA gets it as well), but that's not based on the packaging, just the distributor. Futureshop items always seem to be in higher demand because they are difficult to import.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Special Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
You're far too late for the party on that one.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio
Best Buy

The Best Buy Steelbook for Inception is missing the inside art...
FYE and Futureshop had it all.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Reading, England SteelBooks™77 Slipcovers:228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
The Best Buy Steelbook for Inception is missing the inside art...
FYE and Futureshop had it all.
every bestbuy steelbook is missing the inside artwork, there is a reason why these were cheap. i got them each for $9.99 so cant complain
Living room - Panasonic TX-P50ST50B TV, XBOX ONE, Xbox 360 S 250gb, PS3, Technika BRSS10 region free Blu ray player, Yamaha A-S500, Monitor Audio RX 2 & Wharfedale 10.6, Rega DAC, SKY HD

228 slipcovers, 77 steelbooks, 29 digibooks, 4 digipacks, 40 boxsets..........the rest amarays.

LOVING THE XBOX ONE!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #17

Jan 2010

Definitely can't beat the price, though the only one that's 9.99 here is Sherlock Holmes. I'm honestly more interested in the outside anyway. I'm sure inside artwork is nice and all but I don't find it a nessessity

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks