COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Step Up All In (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fast & Furious 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$47.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Default Pirates of the Caribbean framing issue?

Does anyone know if Disney fixed the framing issue with Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl? I want to buy the movie with the sale going on this week but would rather wait if they have yet to fix the problem. For those of you that have the movie, is the framing issue recurrent throughout the entire movie or only one or two parts?
SONY XBR2 70" TV
SONY BRAVIA XBR 52" LCD TV
SONY 5200ES RECEIVER
SONY 5300ES RECEIVER
DEFINITIVE MYTHOS SPEAKERS
SONY BDP 300 PLAYER
PS 3
BLU RAY MOVIES: 24
Old 10-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #2

Dec 2006
Austin, TX PSNetwork: Bruuce

According to AVS, Disney still hasn't fixed this problem.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

From what I hear, it is only in a few scenes, and it is just a repositioning of the frame. It is lower and off-center, but you wouldn't know unless you compared the two. Personally I don't care that much, but if there recall it or fix it, I will buy the fixed one.
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Antonio, TX. PSN ID: Cyorg
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyorg

I don't know. I've heard of the framing issue, but have never noticed it. Even now that I know it's there I've never noticed it.
PS3 - Network ID is Cyorg
Facebook - Van Steel www.facebook.com/van.steel
Old 10-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

Oct 2007

I emailed Disney Customer Service about this, maybe, about a month or so ago and they said they hadn't come up with a solution yet but they did take down all my information and would contact me once a solution has been decided on/made. I'm guessing they'll be shipping out replacement discs. I was actually planning to get in touch again this week for an update. I'll post if I hear anything new.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #6

Oct 2007
Toronto

From the screen shots I've seen, it's a pretty big issue. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if I would have noticed it, but the top half of people's faces being cut off for 8 minutes seems like it would be pretty obvious. I bought it on eBay before I found out about this. If they fix it I'm sure they will offer an exchange program, like with Back to the Future DVD.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent

ew i didnt know about this and put an order in on the 2for1 deal :/ bleh
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #8

Jun 2007

I have watched the movies multiple times and it has never detracted from my enjoyment of the movies.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadster View Post
From the screen shots I've seen, it's a pretty big issue. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if I would have noticed it, but the top half of people's faces being cut off for 8 minutes seems like it would be pretty obvious. I bought it on eBay before I found out about this. If they fix it I'm sure they will offer an exchange program, like with Back to the Future DVD.

That's incorrect. It's an 8 minute time frame when they are sword fighting in the barn. The time that heads are "cut off" are literally seconds of time. You have to freeze-frame or slo-mo to see it.

No one noticed this for months including the professional reviewers.

For $15 or less, this movie is a buy and is great....framing issues or not.

If they eventually offer an exchange, fine....if not, I'm not losing sleep over it.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2007
Clearwater FL

I seriously hope they never fix it

yes, serious!
Warner Brothers needs their blu-ray department remastered!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Hatfield, UK / Jakarta, Indonesia

i did not notice it. could you tell me which part?
Walt Disney's Fan
Laptop/Main Blu-ray Disc Player:
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz| 12GB RAM | 4TB HDD | nVidia GeForce 465GTX | 1920x1080 (32 inch and 27 inch 3D) | 5.1 Logitech Z5500 and 2.0 Logitech R5 Speakers
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD Drive | LG Blu-ray Writer BH10 | Samsung Blu-ray Drive
Old 10-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Special Member

Aug 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_tanoto View Post
The swordfight in the blacksmith's shop.

This issue has been blown way, way out of proportion. Like most others, I never noticed it.
I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #13

Oct 2007
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post
That's incorrect. It's an 8 minute time frame when they are sword fighting in the barn. The time that heads are "cut off" are literally seconds of time. You have to freeze-frame or slo-mo to see it.

No one noticed this for months including the professional reviewers.

For $15 or less, this movie is a buy and is great....framing issues or not.

If they eventually offer an exchange, fine....if not, I'm not losing sleep over it.
Well from what I read, the entire 8 minutes is mis-framed so maybe head close-ups only make up part of that 8 minutes but the entire 8 minutes is off. When I looked at the screen shots, even scenes without head closeups were obviously off. If you didn't notice it that's great but now that I know about it, I'm going to notice it, and that sucks. Mis-framing 8 minutes of a movie is a pretty big deal, especially when it's supposed to be the ultimate definitive home version that is supposed to be superior to all others.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #14

Sep 2007
West of Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_tanoto View Post
Some of the other forums have posted pictures of the scenes, but from memory these are the shots that highlight the issue:
  • At the beginning of the fight, a solo shot of Will Turner holding his sword - the top half of his head is cut off.
  • During the fight on the rafters, a long shot of both Will and Jack shows them only from the waist down as they fight.
  • Also during the rafter fight, the beam in the foreground is framed too high on one shot - breaking the illusion of them being high up as it shows the studio floor a couple of feet below where the actors are.
  • Finally, when the British troops come into the shop, Norrington's head is cut on two shots.
Until these were pointed out I wasn't aware of any "framing issue". For the blacksmith shop sequence the camera moves around so much it gives you the impression the cameraman is ducking and weaving not only to capture the scene, but to also stay out of the way of the fight.

If Disney offers a trade-in program for this, I will take advantage of it. If they do not it's fine with me as the movie itself is incredible. (Especially any scenes with the cursed pirates in the moonlight - Jack and Barbossa's fight at the end anyone?)

Last edited by Dalese; 10-15-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

It is a minor problem that is overblown (mostly thanks to the HD-DVD camp). I am sure Disney is looking into it. But it is simply a few short shots within an 8 minute segment during the barn fight (and maybe a short one later) where it is a few inches off. It is hardly noticeable to most people, including myself, I have seen the images but it is not distracting in the film. Don't hesitate to buy it cause it is still a great release!
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #16

Oct 2007
Toronto

Hey, just to clarify. I'm not saying it's the end of the world. I realize practically it's not a huge deal (hopefully), but in theory it's a really big screwup. I just got my copy in the mail today, I'll check it out myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I really can't believe that this problem is just blown off as "not that big of a deal." With all the threads and arguments about director's intent, movies presented as they're meant to be seen, etc., it's amazing that this is just shrugged off. The whole point of Blu-ray, or any progression in technology, is to strive for perfection, yet this is ok?

This was a careless error that needs to be fixed. If this happened on an HD-DVD, it'd be all over the place, and not a single person here can deny that.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

If you count the frames where the eyes get out of the frame it was 7.7 seconds

Old 10-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by reellis View Post
I have watched the movies multiple times and it has never detracted from my enjoyment of the movies.
This is Disney's position as well. It is a few shots in a 8 minute block, but its not 8 consecutive minutes, it is hard to spot and doesn't really detract from the movie watching experience. If you watch the bluray, and do not compare it to the DVD, then you are essentially missing nothing. I never knew there was a problem until the guy on AVS mentioned it. Even then I couldn't see where there was a problem. I am usually critical of this stuff, but this doesn't rise into my radar.

From what I have gathered from my sources at Disney, there is not going to be a replacement for this. If it were more noticeable and detracted from the film, they would have no problem issuing a replacement. But there have not been enough complaints to warrant a replacements.
Customized Toshiba 65H84 RPTV 9" tubes
Sony PS3
Toshiba HD-A35
Grass Valley Pro HD A/V switcher/router
Onkyo PR-SC885P Pre-Pro
3 M-EQ 2300 equalizers
1 Berhinger feedback destroyer
1 Onkyo M-508 power amp (sub)
3 Onkyo M-504 power amp
1 Onkyo M-282 power amp
1 Circlesurround CS-3X jr
2 custom 4 way horn hybrid monitors
1 custom 2.5 way horn hybrid center speaker
4 custom 2 way horn hybrid bipolar surrounds
2 Large custom servo 15" sealed subs
1 Sony touch remote control
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #20

Nov 2007
Belgium
Default POTC Framing Issues.

I'm new here and I was just wondering if Disney has done anything yet to the framing issues with the first POTC movie on BR. I'm from Belguim and we don't get a lot of responses here from Buena Vista so I came to this forum in the hope for an answer...

Thx in advance and sorry for my bad English.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat