COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$7.79
Hidden Kingdoms (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$63.65
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Longmire: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Tourist Trap (Blu-ray)
$10.22
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$27.26

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA
Default Brave 3D Pre-order - Now lower price

Brave 3D Blu-ray

The 3D edition currently has a $8 off coupon on Amazon

Saw this last night at midnight. Very good movie and the 3D was really nice too. Probably Pixar's best 3D to date imo

Anybody else catch this yet? If so, thoughts?

Oh and I got the 3D trailer for Wreck-it-Ralph at my screening. The 3D looks awesome for it. Can't wait to see it!

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Special Member

Nov 2011
Meereen

Think we're going to take our 4.5 year old this afternoon to see it. Just turned my Prometheus tickets into Disney Movie Reward ones (I just use photoshop to take the numbers off one template and place it on another one). Struggling to get my nearly 19 year old to stay home long enough for us to get out to anything by ourselves.

Really looking forward to it and I'm sure my little one will love it. She got a Merida doll yesterday and hasn't put it down since.

Edit- at the theater now! Starts in 20 mins!
3DTV: Panasonic TC-P55VT30
Blu-ray Disc Player: PS3 Slim 250GB/Sony BDP-S470
7.1 System: Pioneer VSX-32, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk PSW505 Sub, Polk RTi A5 Floor Standing (front), Polk RTi A5 Floor standing (sides), Polk RTi A3 (rear)

Last edited by Jude72; 06-23-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
Saw this last night at midnight. Very good movie and the 3D was really nice too. Probably Pixar's best 3D to date imo

Oh and I got the 3D trailer for Wreck-it-Ralph at my screening. The 3D looks awesome for it. Can't wait to see it!
Glad you got to see that, did u see it with the Dolby Atmos? I watched a video yesterday about Dolby Atmos and what its all about and that it was premiering with Brave im dying to hear an opinion on it.
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Hyper3D 1000 HDMI x 3
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x 5

FOR TRADE:Pan's Labyrinth Canadian Steelbook sealed/PM me if interested.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Special Member

May 2010

It was my biggest disappointment of the year. Completely different movie than I had been anticipating.

It's kind of like what might happen if "Tangled" and "How To Train Your Dragon" hit each other head on and became a new movie. I'd probably rather be watching "Brave" than "Tangled." But I don't like it nearly as much as "How To Train Your Dragon." At least it's not a musical.

Visually it is stunning though. I may buy it eventually, for the visual aspect. It will look awesome on BD-3D

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian9229 View Post
Glad you got to see that, did u see it with the Dolby Atmos? I watched a video yesterday about Dolby Atmos and what its all about and that it was premiering with Brave im dying to hear an opinion on it.
Unfortunately no Atmos where I live . I'm dying to try it out too!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
Unfortunately no Atmos where I live . I'm dying to try it out too!
Thats too bad! But yeah, i saw the list of atmos theaters and it was pretty small when put in context of all the theaters in the u.s.
Xbox 360 4gb

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2011
Meereen

Got to see trailers for Wreck-it-Ralph, Finding Nemo 3D, Monsters University and Hotel Transylvania. Thought they all looked great.

As for Brave, well I got to see about 50 minutes of it. My little one got scared when
[Show spoiler]Merida's Mum turned in to the bear.
Thought she might get over it but after 5 mins of her sat with her hands over her ears, we left.

Thought the 3D was decent. It certainly made Merida's hair look pretty realistic. It isn't in the same league as Tangled, which is my favorite from Disney as far as 3D goes.

I'll definitely pick it up on blu-ray 3D....just won't be watching it with my 4.5 year old, I guess.
7.1 System: Pioneer VSX-32, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk PSW505 Sub, Polk RTi A5 Floor Standing (front), Polk RTi A5 Floor standing (sides), Polk RTi A3 (rear)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Sorry to hear they were scared by the bear.
[Show spoiler]Were there any dragons or monsters in this one, or was it mostly a family in conflict storyline?

Quote:

Best to date? I'm trying to think of what CGI cartoon Disney did that was amazing 3D. Bolt 3D was good 3D. They can't compare to Open Season's amazing 3D though. Up felt mostly flat for 3D despite some stand out 3D moments. Oh yeah, Beauty and The Beast 3D was in the awesome category for the 3D. Lion King 3D felt mostly flat compared to it and on its own. Brave's 3D reminds me of Up's 3D from the trailer. Good, but could've been amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
It was my biggest disappointment of the year. Completely different movie than I had been anticipating.

It's kind of like what might happen if "Tangled" and "How To Train Your Dragon" hit each other head on and became a new movie. I'd probably rather be watching "Brave" than "Tangled." But I don't like it nearly as much as "How To Train Your Dragon." At least it's not a musical.

Visually it is stunning though. I may buy it eventually, for the visual aspect. It will look awesome on BD-3D
This movie Brave, looks impressive, agreed.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
[Show spoiler]Were there any dragons or monsters in this one, or was it mostly a family in conflict storyline?

Best to date? I'm trying to think of what CGI cartoon Disney did that was amazing 3D. Bolt 3D was good 3D. They can't compare to Open Season's amazing 3D though. Up felt mostly flat for 3D despite some stand out 3D moments. Oh yeah, Beauty and The Beast 3D was in the awesome category for the 3D. Lion King 3D felt mostly flat compared to it and on its own. Brave's 3D reminds me of Up's 3D from the trailer. Good, but could've been amazing.

This movie Brave, looks impressive, agreed.
I thought Mars needs Moms looked pretty good as well, at least on my setup it did. Tangled is surely the best disney 3d bluray ive seen so far. (havent seen lion king or beauty and beast 3d yet though)
Xbox 360 4gb

Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Best to date? I'm trying to think of what CGI cartoon Disney did that was amazing 3D.
Pixar 3D movies would be Up, Toy Story 1, 2, 3, Cars 2, Brave, and soon Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc. Bob Whitehill is Pixar's stereoscopic 3D supervisor, and he also consulted on John Carter. For the most part his work looks good, but it is always very safe and conservative. Nothing is ever too flat, but he doesn't use much negative parallax and usually reserves nice strong image separation for only a few emotional moments in the story. Really, he gives the viewer nothing bad to complain about, but nothing to Wow! them either. He stands on the philosophy that a viewer should forget that he's watching a 3D movie, and no 3D effects should ever "distract" from the story.

I haven't seen Brave to comment on if Whitehill and the Pixar team tried to be more creative with the 3D this time though.
Vizio E3D420VX, 160GB PS3, Sony MDR-DS7500 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 06-23-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2011
Meereen

Quote:
[Show spoiler]Other than the bear, there was a witch but she wasn't particularly scary just a bit creepy looking. She was actually quite humerus. There were no dragons or monsters up until the point I left.

I think out of previous Pixar 3D movies, I'd say Cars 2 impressed me the most. The difference in watching that movie in 3D and 2D is HUGE! The depth and what I can only describe as 'shine' on the cars, from the 3D version of that movie, really made a big difference for me....especially the Tokyo scenes. Brave didn't top that for me.

I don't keep up with which 3D companies each of the movie makers use....but I'd say the Dreamworks stuff definitely beats most of what I've seen from Disney and Pixar.

I do have a real gripe about our cinema's 3D screen though. Yet again (same as with Madagascar 3D) I thought there was an odd tinge of color to the screen (yellowish). Looking forward to getting these movies on 3D Blu-ray and watching them at home.

From what they showed of the Nemo 3D trailer, The 3D looked decent but wasn't totally wowing me. Again, could just be, what's turning out to be, a not so great screen at our theater. It's just strange though...real life 3D (for example The Avengers) looked perfectly fine, color wise. Not sure what the issue is.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude72 View Post
[Show spoiler]Other than the bear, there was a witch but she wasn't particularly scary just a bit creepy looking. She was actually quite humerus. There were no dragons or monsters up until the point I left.

I think out of previous Pixar 3D movies, I'd say Cars 2 impressed me the most. The difference in watching that movie in 3D and 2D is HUGE! The depth and what I can only describe as 'shine' on the cars, from the 3D version of that movie, really made a big difference for me....especially the Tokyo scenes. Brave didn't top that for me.

I don't keep up with which 3D companies each of the movie makers use....but I'd say the Dreamworks stuff definitely beats most of what I've seen from Disney and Pixar.

I do have a real gripe about our cinema's 3D screen though. Yet again (same as with Madagascar 3D) I thought there was an odd tinge of color to the screen (yellowish). Looking forward to getting these movies on 3D Blu-ray and watching them at home.

From what they showed of the Nemo 3D trailer, The 3D looked decent but wasn't totally wowing me. Again, could just be, what's turning out to be, a not so great screen at our theater. It's just strange though...real life 3D (for example The Avengers) looked perfectly fine, color wise. Not sure what the issue is.
I forgot how good Cars 2 was in 3D. Well, maybe Cars 2 and Brave are a tie for me then

Yeah I thought the 3D looked decent too. It's hard to me to judge. It was never flat, but it felt like it wasn't fully popping either. I'm wondering if it's the cinemark screen I've been going to lately. I remember seeing the 3D nemo trailer at Muvico on one of their Sony 4k projectors and I think I was much more impressed with the 3D. Maybe it was a brightness or tech issue with Cinemark???(I usually have great 3D experiences with Cinemark, so maybe it could just be a one time mixed experience)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
As for Brave, well I got to see about 50 minutes of it. My little one got scared when
[Show spoiler]Merida's Mum turned in to the bear.
Thought she might get over it but after 5 mins of her sat with her hands over her ears, we left.
Awwwww man . Did you leave before they got to the really comedic bits with
[Show spoiler]Elinor as a bear? Cause I thought they did an amazing job making her human and not so scary haha XD
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2011
Meereen

Quote:
I forgot how good Cars 2 was in 3D. Well, maybe Cars 2 and Brave are a tie for me then

Yeah I thought the 3D looked decent too. It's hard to me to judge. It was never flat, but it felt like it wasn't fully popping either. I'm wondering if it's the cinemark screen I've been going to lately. I remember seeing the 3D nemo trailer at Muvico on one of their Sony 4k projectors and I think I was much more impressed with the 3D. Maybe it was a brightness or tech issue with Cinemark???(I usually have great 3D experiences with Cinemark, so maybe it could just be a one time mixed experience)
It's only the last two movies I have an issue with our 3D screen. All other 3D movies have had awesome color. It's a shame because it really spoils it for me. I like to see true, vibrant colors....and the tinge of yellow over it all just detracts from what should look gorgeous on the screen, in a movie like Brave.

Quote:
Awwwww man . Did you leave before they got to the really comedic bits with
[Show spoiler]Elinor as a bear? Cause I thought they did an amazing job making her human and not so scary haha XD
We got to the
[Show spoiler]part where Elinor changes in to the bear and stuck it out for a while. After the initial running around in the castle, my little one put her glasses back on. I thought she was doing okay but then after they were in the woods and fishing for salmon and she went more bear like
, that was enough for her. She asked to go home so we did. We'd only paid for 1 of our 3 tickets so weren't too much out of pocket by leaving. Just wouldn't have been fair to let her sit there scared so my husband and I could finish the movie. I can wait for the 3D blu-ray.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Pixar 3D movies would be Up, Toy Story 1, 2, 3, Cars 2, Brave, and soon Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc. Bob Whitehill is Pixar's stereoscopic 3D supervisor, and he also consulted on John Carter. For the most part his work looks good, but it is always very safe and conservative. Nothing is ever too flat, but he doesn't use much negative parallax and usually reserves nice strong image separation for only a few emotional moments in the story. Really, he gives the viewer nothing bad to complain about, but nothing to Wow! them either. He stands on the philosophy that a viewer should forget that he's watching a 3D movie, and no 3D effects should ever "distract" from the story.

I haven't seen Brave to comment on if Whitehill and the Pixar team tried to be more creative with the 3D this time though.
Never really was impressed with the conservative style of Pixar 3d.....Disney 3d seems more daring.

DREAMWORKS owns 3d.....every one of their movies has been a great addition to my 3d library.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:

We got to the
[Show spoiler]part where Elinor changes in to the bear and stuck it out for a while. After the initial running around in the castle, my little one put her glasses back on. I thought she was doing okay but then after they were in the woods and fishing for salmon and she went more bear like
, that was enough for her. She asked to go home so we did. We'd only paid for 1 of our 3 tickets so weren't too much out of pocket by leaving. Just wouldn't have been fair to let her sit there scared so my husband and I could finish the movie. I can wait for the 3D blu-ray.
Ah I see. Even to an adult like me those bears are pretty scary when their in full bear mode lol. I hope you little girl will be able to watch the rest of it eventually. The messages in it are so worthwhile imo
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Special Member

May 2010

I like Blue Sky's 3D as well. "Rio"-"Ice age." Fantastic looking 3D.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I like Blue Sky's 3D as well. "Rio"-"Ice age." Fantastic looking 3D.
There 3D is pretty good. I saw the new Ice Age: Continental Drift trailer in 3D with my Brave 3D screening and thought the 3D looked great!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

I saw Brave last night and I absolutely loved it! Much better movie than I expected and I would say Pixar is back in top form here they have redeemed themselves after Cars 2 which I thought was there worst film to date and really the only one I have disliked(thought the first Cars was just Okay) Teh animation in Brave was beautiful and the story and message are great as well. As for the 3D i can't comment as I saw a 2D showing will just pick up the 3D blu-ray when released. Honestly though I feel like I lost absolutely nothing by seeing the film in 2D. Pixars 3D is usually conservative and this looked to be no different again I will see when the 3D blu-ray comes out
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Ah I see. Even to an adult like me those bears are pretty scary when their in full bear mode lol. I hope you little girl will be able to watch the rest of it eventually. The messages in it are so worthwhile imo
Same thing happened when we went to UP a few years ago. A lot of kids started crying in the theater once the mean looking dogs showed up. Sometimes one has to wonder if PIXAR is confused about the audience
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies