Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jingle All the Way (Blu-ray)
$4.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #1

Jul 2010
Queens, NY
Post Official Power Sound Audio Thread.

Power Sound Audio is a new Internet Direct Company Started in part by Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina. Tom was one of the original founders of SVSound so it will be quite interesting to see how these new subs perform. Jim also worked for SVS from 2001 to 2008

They are currently offering a trio of 15" sealed and ported subs that will begin shipping by the end of July:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/

So what do you guys think?
Living Room Display: Elite Pro-70X5 Fronts: Jamo C803, Jamo C80cen Surrounds: Jamo C400sur Subs: SVS PB12plus (Bash), 2 SVS SB12nsds Pre/Pro: Pioneer Elite VSX-33, SVS AS-EQ1 Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-3 BD Player: Oppo BDP-93 Music Player: Zune 80gb Power Conditioner: Furman Elite-20PFi Cables: SVS, Monoprice, Blue Jeans, Audioquest Misc: Transdeco Speaker Stands, Auralex Gramma, Auralex Great Gramma, LED Lighting Kit w/Remote
Bedroom Speakers: Audioengine A5 Bamboo Sub: Emotiva Ultra Sub 10

Last edited by kesando; 07-02-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Sep 2011
New Joisey

The pedigree is there, that's for sure. Price looks enticing as well.
- Jim
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

Sep 2011

I'll be joining the club with a V30 as soon as they are released!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Jul 2011

so is that two down firing 15"s? i didnt' even realize it before i was wondering what made it cost so much more. i wish they did a deal for two of the v15s
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Sep 2011

Contact Tom.

If you buy two maybe there will be an additional discount.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2009

That VX30 sure does look awesome. I can't wait to see some reviews on that. Could be my upgrade from a PB12-NSD...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

I came close to ordering a pair of the sealed subs, the price with shipping and everything was pretty good. $500 less than a pair of Epik Empires shipped to Canada and $1k less than a SubMersive. Happened to find a used SubMersive for an excellent price so I went with that instead.

Maybe one of these days I'll try a pair of the big dual driver ported subs.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Jul 2012

Hi guys,

Thanks you for the interest in Power Sound.

Just to chime in on the one question---we would offer an additional 5% discount on a dual subwoofer order. So you would get 10% off total and each XV15 would be $675.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Power Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V. View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks you for the interest in Power Sound.

Just to chime in on the one question---we would offer an additional 5% discount on a dual subwoofer order. So you would get 10% off total and each XV15 would be $675.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Very nice! I am very curious to read some first hand impressions of these, and how they may compare to SVS line
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Power Member

May 2011
Earth
Default Bass heads rejoice!!!

You probably haven't heard of Power Sound Audio. They are brand new. Usually we let Internet Direct subwoofer companies sit for a while before we start paying attention to them. There are just so many. And many are gone the minute they start getting more than a handful of orders. This is because making subwoofers in your garage sounds like a great idea... until you actually have to start making subwoofers in your garage. Add to that the problem of returns, shipping issues, running a business... it is a lot more than many bargained for.

But with Power Sound Audio, we're are going to assume that not only will they make it, they'll be huge. Why? How about they are run by two former SV Sound employees. Tom Vodhanel co-founded SV Sound back in 1999 and Jim Farina did R&D for them. Neither of them has worked for SV Sound since 2008 (Tom left in 2007) but they haven't forgotten their subwoofer roots. This is the sort of pedigree that inspires confidence - not only in the company's longevity, but also in their ability to make quality (if freaking huge) subwoofers.

The first thing that caught our eye with Power Sound Audio was not the size, shape, or performance of their subs. It was that they test their subs using the CEA2010 (2 meter ground plane) standard. Most subwoofer manufacturers are happy to give you a frequency response specification with no indication of how they arrived at it (there are times we think they just sit in a room and say, "Yeah, that probably goes down to 20Hz"). Not so with Power Sound Audio. They not only use rigorous testing but also publish the results. Take a look at this graph from their largest sub, the XV30:

SEE GRAPH ON SITE OR AT AUDIOHOLICS.COM

This is a 1/6th octave smoothed ground plane measurement paired with a simulated in-room response. We didn't have to pin down the manufacturer to find this out - they state it directly on the product page. Not only that, but they have Frequency Response and Long Term Output Compression graphs. As you can see in the above graph, in the ground plane measurement, the XV rolls off softly starting at 30Hz but doesn't really reach its -3dB point until around 21Hz. This is an excellent response and leads to a simulated in-room response of 16-18Hz -3dB. If that doesn't have the bass-heads in the crowd salivating, this will: the MSRP is $1249.

Internet Direct subwoofer manufacturers are well known for selling huge subs. Whatever it takes to get the sort of bone-rattling bass their fanatical followers demand. But they often don't warn you about it up front. Power Sound Audio takes a slightly different tact. From their website, "Nothing about this subwoofer is small. A huge 6” Precision Port, two proprietary 15” drivers and an enclosure the size of a large end table..." Now that is what we call truth in advertising!

The XV30 sports two down-firing 15" woofers, a large, rear facing port, and a 750 watt amplifier. The amp has an On/Off/Auto switch, knobs for volume, phase (0-180), and crossover, (40-150Hz) and RCA inputs. Power Sound Audio brags a precision analog control through DSP though we are not exactly sure what that means. There is built in temperature, CD offset, overload, short circuit, and load protection plus soft limiting. The drivers are proprietary with 2" peak-to-peak excursion, carbon steel motor structure, vented pole geometry, reinforced kraft pulp cone. The enclosure is 36” by 20.5” by 26.75” (D x W x H) which, honestly, sounds like a large end table to us. It sports the sort of finish you can only sell online (vinyl wrapped) and 1” thick MDF baffles and 1.5” thick MDF base. It weighs in at a back breaking 158 pounds. The XV30 and the smaller XV15 and XS15 subs are available for pre-order but won't be shipping until August at the earliest.

Power Sound Audio has the sort of pedigree behind it that knows what people want from an Internet Direct subwoofer company. They want big sound, big bass, and they don't care how big the box is that it is coming out of. On top of that, they demand a small price tag. They are willing to concede such things as aesthetics, size, and ease of placement as long as they can watch the popcorn on their ceilings fall during their movies. The Power Sound Audio XV30 promises all that and more. Using the most rigorous measurement techniques, you can feel confident that their performance claims are on the level. Sporting two 15" woofers in a box big enough to use as a dog house and heavy enough to give you and two of your best friends hernias, you can rest assured that the 21Hz ground plane measurement will translate to something well into subsonic range in room. At $1249, that's an amazing value. Now to convince the spouse.

For more information, please visit http://www.powersoundaudio.com.

Last edited by sonic_debauchery; 07-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2012

Sonic,are you getting a discount for writing that?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #12

Sep 2011
New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
Sonic,are you getting a discount for writing that?
It's a cut-and-paste directly from audioholics, so I'm not sure he can be compensated for that...
- Jim
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2012

Kinda figured that,looks interesting. I'm looking for a sub right now,not sure if I want to go sealed or ported.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2009
Northeast, IN

Will say the XV15 peaks my interest..... Choices....
"40 ounce in my lap and it's freezing my balls"
"My brain is just a jellyfish, in the ocean of my head"

PSN: Jamweiser
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Special Member

Jan 2011
chicago, il

Had I not just purchased a sub. I would have bit on one of these. XV15 really peaked my interest.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Ironically when I was under the impression that Sonic wrote it I was really impressed. Then I started reading more and more and thought audioholics lol. I take them with a grain of salt. They may forget more about HT and music Audio than I'll ever know but their reviews tend to be heavily biased.

Nevertheless, Power Sound Audio should do well. They have an awesome heritage and rich history. They bring a lot of research and design into their products.

Of course I've never heard one before but I've heard more than a few SVS subs.

They should have a good future ahead of them.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #17
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
It's a cut-and-paste directly from audioholics, so I'm not sure he can be compensated for that...
Yep, but non-the-less worthy of sharing.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #18

Jul 2012

Hi all,

Quick update. First production run today. Missed fedex cutoff but we're staying late and coming back early tomorrow so we should make a BIG dent in the pre-orders. Not sure how many here may be waiting, but thanks for your patience. I know we missed our original ship estimates a bit.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #19

Sep 2011

Picking up my 3 XV15's tomorrow at the shop, going to be hard to sleep tonight!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #20

Sep 2011

Just picked mine up!!

Met Jim Farina, he is a great guy for sure.

Super excited to try them out. Will post more pictures when I get them in the house. I am pretty sure I am the first to actually get one of their subs.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers