COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
River of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$12.15
Shameless: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Sin City (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #501
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklandsboy View Post
Wouldn't it be better if they got seasons 1 and 2 right first?

I'd rather wait 6 months between seasons if it meant they were actually worth buying!
Same here. I'm going to wait and just get it all at once. I can totally see CBS fixing all the little glitches as they go, then releasing the complete seven season set with additional extras and some bad@$$ packaging for $400; then I'll wait for it to hit $300 and have everything for less than $45 a season and with all this BS propery fixed.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #502
Expert Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
Same here. I'm going to wait and just get it all at once. I can totally see CBS fixing all the little glitches as they go, then releasing the complete seven season set with additional extras and some bad@$$ packaging for $400; then I'll wait for it to hit $300 and have everything for less than $45 a season and with all this BS propery fixed.
I appreciate your point of view. And usually, I have a great deal of patience. And who knows, I may buy the whole set TOO, when it's released. By that time, I can afford it easily. But unfortunately, I want it now! LOL! Frankly, I can't wait for Voyager to be released (if ever). Speaking of which, I believe I'm overdue to watch an episode or two

Just bought it on Bestbuy.com. What can I say, I'm a dedicated fan, and I want it now LOL! Besides, I've found there are people in this thread that will nitpick the slightest thing. Please don't get upset though. The examples I've been shown, were fairly extreme by my standards as well. But somehow, I doubt that every episode is plagued. I just can't see it being plagued by countless problems.
4K? Really? Why? 720P looks pretty good projected @ 120"!!! I haven't seen 1080P(projected), but I imagine it's GREAT!

Last edited by omegaman7; 12-04-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #503

Mar 2011
Liverpool, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
lesson learned for the next batch.
That's what everyone said after season 1.

The thing is, they outsourced manufacture of the last set, and it got cocked up. Then they replaced 95% of the problems (still some instances of cross-channel bleed on the eps and severe lip-sync issues on the docs) and sent out a note blithering on about their committment to quality, whilst at the same time outsourcing the restoration of season 2 which, of course, got cocked up.

Why should I pay premium for this again - especially having bought the whole lot on VHS and DVD already?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #504
Expert Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
That's what everyone said after season 1.

The thing is, they outsourced manufacture of the last set, and it got cocked up. Then they replaced 95% of the problems (still some instances of cross-channel bleed on the eps and severe lip-sync issues on the docs) and sent out a note blithering on about their committment to quality, whilst at the same time outsourcing the restoration of season 2 which, of course, got cocked up.

Why should I pay premium for this again - especially having bought the whole lot on VHS and DVD already?
You bought the VHS and DVDs? Wow. You're hardcore LOL! Somehow, I think you'll get the BD's too Sorry, but if you have an HDTV, you KNOW you want the high definition TNG remasters THere's just no comparison. It's like a whole new show. Keep in mind, I've seen some rather trivial goof ups. But as I've said, my audio configuration wouldn't allow me to see the problems others have seen(or heard rather). And I've only caught the video problems via screenshots in this thread.
4K? Really? Why? 720P looks pretty good projected @ 120"!!! I haven't seen 1080P(projected), but I imagine it's GREAT!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #505
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
Besides, I've found there are people in this thread that will nitpick the slightest thing. Please don't get upset though. The examples I've been shown, were fairly extreme by my standards as well. But somehow, I doubt that every episode is plagued. I just can't see it being plagued by countless problems.
People do nitpick here a lot, but I don't feel I'd be getting my money's worth with all the little problems there have been. Trust me, I'm a hardcore TNG fan too, and it's gonna take a hell of a lot of willpower to stay away for two years.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #506

Aug 2009

Quote:
People do nitpick here a lot, but I don't feel I'd be getting my money's worth with all the little problems there have been. Trust me, I'm a hardcore TNG fan too, and it's gonna take a hell of a lot of willpower to stay away for two years.
You had really made your mind up before the reviews came in, and you're using the little nitpicky errors (most of which the average user would never notice on his own) to justify your decision. But the original show had plenty of errors and visual quality issues of its own, and yet most of us fell in love with it anyway.
-Paul Acevedo
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #507
Expert Member

Oct 2011

Man... I hope they don't scrap Trek HD because of all these "little" problems. I'll be heart broken beyond belief
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #508
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Gizmonic Institute, Northeast PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
I don't understand, Star Trek 5 was still agreeable Not my favorite, but it's still trek.
I second that. I loved the character moments between all of the characters. Especially after following this group for so many years. I'll even say I like the concept of the film and the conclusions it came to. I do think the studio needs to do a new transfer on most of the films.

I really hope the season two release doesn't turn out to have a lot of issues. Two in a row can really start to hurt the project.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #509
Power Member

Sep 2009

I'll be picking up season 2 today with full confidence should any glaring problems be present CBS will take care of them. Just as they did with season 1. I'm going to support Trek on Blu even if it means disc exchanges. Is it a pain in the ass? You bet. Still, I love Trek. Looking forward to season 2 viewing tonight.
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #510

Jun 2010
Los Alamitos, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodiddno View Post
Yeah let's replace a woman with another woman with more wrinkles. Yeah, the fans will love that!
*ugh* I hate that that's the knee-jerk reaction from fanboys to Kate Pulaski- "she sucks because she's older and not a MILF." No one cares that Picard was the same age as Pulaski was. Men can age and get wrinkled, women have to stay young and hot, or we don't want to see them anymore. Never mind that when Crusher came back, she came back a stronger character because the writers began to apply more of Pulaski's personality traits when writing her.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #511
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Even if that happens, it would take 3 years or so for what you're talking about to take place. I'd rather enjoy the show now. Plus the fans who can buy it now are funding the next seasons, as well as maybe DS9 and Voyager, both of which are good shows too that deserve the rebuild and HD treatment.

Last edited by benbess; 12-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #512

Nov 2012
The Netherlands

Just finished watching the first disc. Some more thoughts:
  • Surprisingly, the audio mix of the opening credits is better in The Child than in any of the episodes following it. In The Child you can hear a distinct left right seperation in the back channels as the Enterprise wooshed past the screen. This is gone in the following episodes. A shame.
  • Elementary, Dear Data looks fabulous in HD. This show is of course light on visual effects, but there are some interesting ones. The arch appearing and disappearing looks a tad soft though, however when Moriarty starts playing with the holodeck grid and it starts appearing over London the HD visuals looks superb. The live action stuff is fantastic and the set and costum design really benefit from the HD upgrade. A very impressive remasteirng job here.
  • The Outrageous Okona doesn't fare that well when it comes to the visuals. The ship details are fine, but the Enterprise looks very bright. The effects in this episode were unremarkable to begin with, as seen in the SD version, and this kind of carries over to the HD version. As a rule, you could say if the original effect was a disappointment, the HD effect will be as well. By the way, I really loath this episode. No redeeming quality whatsoever.
  • Loud As A Whisper is in my opinion one of the most underrated episodes of TNG. I absolutely love this episode. An interesting story, great guest star and some truely outstanding performances. It looks great in HD. The two-footer looks just fine as does the planet. Yes it is soft, but when you really look at it you can see all kinds of detail on the surface of it. I really like it. The matte painting of the planet surface holds up very well as do the shots of Riva's chorus getting vaporized (though they are a tad soft).
  • In all the episodes I''ve seen the live action sequences are razor sharp with lots of visible detail and a pleasing layer of grain. A visual effect almost always announces itself because the picture will become much softer and the grain is great reduced. This is one of the most disappointing aspects of the remastering in season 2. A slight disappointment though because I still very much enjoy this HD upgrade.

On to disc 2. I think in the coming hours many more people will be getting or receiving this set and I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #513
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolars View Post
Just finished watching the first disc. Some more thoughts:
  • Surprisingly, the audio mix of the opening credits is better in The Child than in any of the episodes following it. In The Child you can hear a distinct left right seperation in the back channels as the Enterprise wooshed past the screen. This is gone in the following episodes. A shame.
  • Elementary, Dear Data looks fabulous in HD. This show is of course light on visual effects, but there are some interesting ones. The arch appearing and disappearing looks a tad soft though, however when Moriarty starts playing with the holodeck grid and it starts appearing over London the HD visuals looks superb. The live action stuff is fantastic and the set and costum design really benefit from the HD upgrade. A very impressive remasteirng job here.
  • The Outrageous Okona doesn't fare that well when it comes to the visuals. The ship details are fine, but the Enterprise looks very bright. The effects in this episode were unremarkable to begin with, as seen in the SD version, and this kind of carries over to the HD version. As a rule, you could say if the original effect was a disappointment, the HD effect will be as well. By the way, I really loath this episode. No redeeming quality whatsoever.
  • Loud As A Whisper is in my opinion one of the most underrated episodes of TNG. I absolutely love this episode. An interesting story, great guest star and some truely outstanding performances. It looks great in HD. The two-footer looks just fine as does the planet. Yes it is soft, but when you really look at it you can see all kinds of detail on the surface of it. I really like it. The matte painting of the planet surface holds up very well as do the shots of Riva's chorus getting vaporized (though they are a tad soft).
  • In all the episodes I''ve seen the live action sequences are razor sharp with lots of visible detail and a pleasing layer of grain. A visual effect almost always announces itself because the picture will become much softer and the grain is great reduced. This is one of the most disappointing aspects of the remastering in season 2. A slight disappointment though because I still very much enjoy this HD upgrade.

On to disc 2. I think in the coming hours many more people will be getting or receiving this set and I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
Thanks for the report! +++ If you have time and energy, keep up your episode by episode observations.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #514

Feb 2009

Finished watching the last disc last night and Peak Performance PQ wise is the best of the lot if you ask me.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #515
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better if they got seasons 1 and 2 right first?
The Season 3 trailer is included on the BD and from reports looks outstanding so why wouldn't anyone not want to see it lol
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #516

Nov 2009

Well damn. I was parked outside Best Buy at 7:45 this morning and at the door at 8, only to find they still hadn't brought out any of the TNG Season 2's out from the back. I asked one of the guys and got the ole "try back later" answer... I waiting around for 15 minutes but had to leave or I would be late for work. I'll try again in the afternoon.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #517
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
Well damn. I was parked outside Best Buy at 7:45 this morning and at the door at 8, only to find they still hadn't brought out any of the TNG Season 2's out from the back. I asked one of the guys and got the ole "try back later" answer... I waiting around for 15 minutes but had to leave or I would be late for work. I'll try again in the afternoon.
used to work at Future Shop in Canada and we did the same thing - mostly because there were problems if you put it out early and when you only work until close, there is no time to put it out after that. they must not make their staff come into early though as we always either had them out that morning before the store opened or at least had the box there so we could dig a copy out. mine is on route from Amazon - i just wish i would be one of those people who actually gets it a day before the release instead of them just shipping it a day before the release

Who bashed Star Trek 5? it is great. Uhura dancing, Shatners "climb a rock" shirt, the tape popping out of the recorder when Kirk enters a Captain's Log, Scotty walking straight into a low-hanging pipe..... okay, it was not exactly their shining moment but it did have some good parts to it. but it is not 100% Shatner's fault as there were a lot of outside factors that messed it up too - budget cuts, too many other big movies being made so they went with lesser effects studios, etc. the studio should have protected the movie more, pushed it back 6 months or so and let them work more on the script while these things cleared up and we would have had a better movie(no Wrath of Khan but better than what we got). wish Paramount would have given him a few dollars to do a directors cut like they did for the original Motion Picture.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #518

Jan 2012

How long does it usually take Amazon to refund the preorder discount after the set ships? I was billed the pre-release $79.99.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #519
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolars View Post
[*]The Outrageous Okona doesn't fare that well when it comes to the visuals. The ship details are fine, but the Enterprise looks very bright. The effects in this episode were unremarkable to begin with, as seen in the SD version, and this kind of carries over to the HD version. As a rule, you could say if the original effect was a disappointment, the HD effect will be as well. By the way, I really loath this episode. No redeeming quality whatsoever.
Teri Hatcher.

plus you get to see what the first choice for Riker was(interstingly enough in a beard too).
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #520

Nov 2012
The Netherlands

Just watched a couple of episodes on disc 2. My thoughts:
  • The Schizoid Man. Ooh boy.... This episode has some very beautiful shots, but also some very problematic shots that will be talked about at length when more people have had a chance to see this episode. First of all, there is this shot:
    [Show spoiler]

The weird thing about this shot is that as the Enterprise flies of to the right, the saucer is clearly cut off. But as it leaves the screen, the gap closes as if the Enterprise element is panning to the right also. The whole shot is aligned correctly as the ship leaves the screen. Very weird and clearly a mistake on the part of post-production company HTV.
  • There are also two equally problematic and ugly shots. One is at the start of chapter 4 as the Enterprise flies past Gravesworld. Gravesworld as a whole is rendered beautifully and looks way better than the SD version. But in this shot Gravesworld can be seen in the background as a close-up and it just looks upconverted to me. On closer inspection I could see it isnít, but the CGI model is lacking in detail so that it comes across as flat and ugly. The second shot IMO is upconverted and it is a scene later on in the episode where Troi performs a psychotronic stabilitytest on Data/Graves. In a close-up shot on Dataís laptop we see all kinds of images from previous episodes, movies and other random images for which the remastering team probably couldnít find the original elements (although it does contain scenes that have been remastered for season 1). It looks very soft, with dull and washed out colours and I really think that because of the potential difficulty of remastering all those tiny shots, they instead decided on upconverting the SD shot. It a short scene, but it stands out.
  • Unnatural Selection fares way better. I think this episode looked very good and faithful to the original effects. The matte painting of researchstation Darwin looks far brighter than in the original episode and much more detail is visible. My only gripe was with the destruction of the Lantree. The explosion looked jittery to me.
Curious to learn what your thoughts will be.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America