COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #1

Dec 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Australia Do you buy ex-rental/second hand?

Hello everyone.

I buy second-hand and ex-rental very, very often. I love the thrill of uncovering a fantastic blu at a cut-rate price. I'll try very hard to ensure all discs are intact (triple packs, blu + dvd etc) and that it is in top notch condition.

I have a few select locations that I haunt: a Blockbuster Video that actually sells ex-rental triple packs with all discs intact , a 2nd hand store that sells proper not-seconds at great prices (and discounts multiple buys), and various Cashies and other bigger chains that have a prevalence of blus.

Occasionally I've had a dud disc, but the rate of good discs to problem discs is negligible enough to let it go. I've also been silly enough to jump the gun sometimes and pay more for a single disc Disney release without realizing it wasn't the +dvd or 2 disc blu + dvd, but I've learnt to let that go.

I've had many great scores, but a personal favourite was my first raid of the Blockbusters I mentioned; where I scored complete disc sets of:

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 (4 disc Triple Play)
Captain America (2 disc Triple Play)
Thor (2 disc Triple Play)
Super 8 (2 disc Triple Play)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2 disc Triple Play)
X-Men First Class (1 disc)
for a total of $51.90AU

That was an awesome haul, and I'm proud of it.

Tell us if you buy 2nd hand/ex-rental, some of your favourite haunts and your proud buys! I'm willing to share locations too if anyone is interested.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

I buy second hand, but not from video stores. The stores here split up the Triple Play sets, and use a black marker to cross out 'DVD and Digital Copy'. Plus they always want $15-20, which is laughable.

Second hand from TradeMe and Amazon Marketplace only for me.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Jul 2010

Yeah, absolutely!!

I pretty much never go into video stores, but if I do and they have some ex-rental bargains of titles I want, I can't say no

I'm also very happy to buy secondhand here/on ebay etc.

To me, a good price is much more important than cosmetic condition.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Never, as the video and 2nd hand stores here are pretty much like what LordCrumb described, and ridiculously overpriced for a 2nd/rental. It's often cheaper to just stop by JB and pick up a brand new one cheaper.

I'm not opposed to second-hands, but I've never seen a store in Melbourne that prices them fairly.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

No I don't.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge suppressor/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Expert Member

Mar 2012

Never have but would like too. How long does it take from release date for a title to be placed on the ex-rental shelf? I'm looking at Wrath of The Titans at the moment..
Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Yes , from video stores and i already scored great deals .
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2011
chicago, il

Most Americans don't know how to take care of discs. Especially if it is a video store's disc. People do not have respect for other's property they treat things like garbage that don't belong to them. Well except members on here of course. That is why I do not lend discs out. Although I have bought a few used discs from Ebay with great success. I prefer if I buy second hand for it to be off of Ebay. Every disc that has been an ex-rental or from a second hand shop tends to be crap at least in my experience.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #9

Jun 2012
Adelaide, South Australia

I always buy ex rental if the price is good, for example JB Hifi had 50/50 for $30 when it came out and my local video shop had it for $15 ex rental 4 days after it was released. Also Cash Converters have some bargains, picked up 500 Days of Summer, Phone Booth and Away We Go for $6 each, all mint condition.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #10

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taknakhan View Post
Occasionally I've had a dud disc, but the rate of good discs to problem discs is negligible enough to let it go. I've also been silly enough to jump the gun sometimes and pay more for a single disc Disney release without realizing it wasn't the +dvd or 2 disc blu + dvd, but I've learnt to let that go.
How much did you pay for them? Personally I think the single disc versions are great because they lack the sometimes ugly Blu-ray + DVD banner at the top and some unnecessary unpersuasive quotes My blockbuster seems to be closing down, but they're prices are still kinda ridiculous.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
New Zealand

I buy second hand for the right price and right movie.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Power Member

Apr 2010
Out There

No have never picked up any second hand Blu's
Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Special Member

Apr 2010
Western Australia

Nope never bought second hand unless its a trusted seller on here
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #14

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

^ Same. Some trading on here but I won't do ex-rentals. My experience so far when checking them out is that their condition is average. Sure Blu-ray Discs hold up better than DVDs but considering the price my local video stores charge they should look mint and always wind up looking poor. Not worth the risk.
LATEST FOR SALE ITEMS:
Epic (US BD/DVD/UV) $10. New/sealed. Price includes shipping anywhere in Australia!

--| Sale/Trade thread - Steels & regular Blus! ...big update June 8! |--
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

I have bought quite a few second hand but only one ever has been ex-rental,that was this week ,Frozen from lovefilm,3 and it is in very good condition.
As long as they are in perfect/very good condition then why not?
Cheaper Blu-rays means extra money.....for more Blu-rays.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #16

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I don't. For all my titles, I prefer brand new.
Mirror Mirror (2012) - The best Snow White movie EVER!!!

Lily Collins - The most beautiful Snow White EVER!!!

Legend's Princess Lili - The most beautiful princess-in-distress

Frozen's Elsa - Attractive, alluring and sexy with the loveliest hips.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Judging from discs I've rented in the past, it's like people frisby it across asphalt. I don't know how they could possibly get so scratched
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #18

Jul 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by darry View Post
Never have but would like too. How long does it take from release date for a title to be placed on the ex-rental shelf? I'm looking at Wrath of The Titans at the moment..
I have worked at a Civic Video store for 2 years, and from my experience we ex-rental after about 2 weeks, when rental starts to slow on the new stock - but other stores may do it differently.

Personally, I do buy blu-ray ex-rentals but as it's from my own place of employment I can assure that I get the copies that are in best condition. I do find myself going through my collection and getting annoyed at the stickers on ex-rentals though. That's my only fault, but I'm incredibly anal about my collection (which comes with the job I suppose).
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #19

Jun 2012
QLD, Australia

I've got a couple of 2nd hand blu-rays , but I have not watched them. So I guess that says it all.

P.S. I don't mind spending an hour or so at JB looking for a bargain.(found L.A Confidential and Bram Stoker's Dracula for under 10 dollars)

Last edited by chcknhwk68; 08-13-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: adding something extra to say
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
Expert Member

Mar 2012

i had a look at my local videoezy ex-rentals last week. has anyone noticed the inserts, or the boxes, are the wrong size. There's a massive gap between the top of the insert and the box, like they've cut the insert to fit into the rental case. bootlegs have better quality than that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia