Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$27.75
29 min ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Default Fear and Desire (Kubrick) - 10/23/12 Pre-order

Fear and Desire Blu-ray

News:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8415

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-24-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

wow
the Kubrick filmography is complete on blu-ray.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2010
Denmark :(

This year just keeps getting better and better
GO CELTICS!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
wow
the Kubrick filmography is complete on blu-ray.
There are still a few shorts. Among them is The Seafarers, which is available on DVD.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Speaking of The Seafarers...this was a March news item.

Quote:
Independent distributors Kino Lorber have revealed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray a collection of early films directed by Stanley Kubrick. The collection will include Day of the Fight (1951), The Flying Padre (1951), Fear and Desire (1953), and The Seafarers (1953).

Kino Lorrber have indicated that the release is expected to street in Fall 2012.
I wonder if one or more of the others fell through and if that was the reason for the delay.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #6

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

The shorts are good for one viewing at best. Fight and Padre are OK but short, and Seafarers is too long and dull.

Complete Kubrick 13 feature films on BD!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Power Member

Jul 2010

They could all easily be included as extras. With one feature and 3 shorts it makes sense to focus on the feature.

That said, I have a bad feeling that we're not getting the shorts or at least that we're not getting all 3. Hope I'm wrong though.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #8

Sep 2011
Toronto

This is exciting. I hope the shorts are included.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post

I wonder if one or more of the others fell through and if that was the reason for the delay.
It's conceivable the shorts are still on the disc. There'd certainly be room. Though you'd think they would announce that if it were the case...
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #10

Feb 2008

Kinda doubt they're on the disc. Seems to me that if they were, this would be a huge selling/advertising point since it would officially mean that Kubrick's complete filmography is available on blu-ray.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
They could all easily be included as extras. With one feature and 3 shorts it makes sense to focus on the feature.

That said, I have a bad feeling that we're not getting the shorts or at least that we're not getting all 3. Hope I'm wrong though.
Well, for the Criterion release of The Killing, Killer's Kiss (which precedes The Killing) was also included. They are both more than an hour long and have lossless and 192kbps monaural soundtracks, respectively. Given that Fear and Desire is the same length as Killer's Kiss, I couldn't see why the rest of the short films can't be included on the same disc containing Fear and Desire. Here's hoping that we get all of them on one disc!

One question: How did Kino get a hold of these if Kubrick didn't want for them to be released? Wouldn't Christiane Kubrick/kubrick's estate stop the release of these early films?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #12

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
Well, for the Criterion release of The Killing, Killer's Kiss (which precedes The Killing) was also included. They are both more than an hour long and have lossless and 192kbps monaural soundtracks, respectively. Given that Fear and Desire is the same length as Killer's Kiss, I couldn't see why the rest of the short films can't be included on the same disc containing Fear and Desire. Here's hoping that we get all of them on one disc!

One question: How did Kino get a hold of these if Kubrick didn't want for them to be released? Wouldn't Christiane Kubrick/kubrick's estate stop the release of these early films?
His estate doesn't control the rights to Fear and Desire as he gave away those rights for financial reasons to get it made and distributed.

They obviously couldn't secure the rights to the 3 shorts hence their exclusion. I mean, do we need the short films? They show little of any of the later style and if you want to see them go to Youtube.

Last edited by MikeyHitchFan; 08-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #13

Mar 2010
South Carolina

I am definitely in for this day 1, as the only version I have seen was on youtube. That version was pretty beat up, so it will be nice to revisit.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #14

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmac2000 View Post
I am definitely in for this day 1, as the only version I have seen was on youtube. That version was pretty beat up, so it will be nice to revisit.
+1. The sound was OK but it looked like a third generation VHS dub. This will be uncut and in pristine quality. Way excited, too!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Good news. I'll definitely pick it up since I'm a huge Kubrick fan, but it'll probably be more of a curiosity. I've tried to watch this in the past, and it was pretty lousy. I don't know if a new restoration will necessarily help.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:

From The Digital Bits: "Here's an important note: This Blu-ray will include Kubrick's short subject film The Seafarers as an extra, also restored by The Museum of Modern Art & The Film Foundation and presented in HD."
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Excellent. The shorts are hardly deal breakers but it's nice to see at least one of them is still coming.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyHitchFan View Post
His estate doesn't control the rights to Fear and Desire as he gave away those rights for financial reasons to get it made and distributed.

They obviously couldn't secure the rights to the 3 shorts hence their exclusion. I mean, do we need the short films? They show little of any of the later style and if you want to see them go to Youtube.
The Eastman Archive in NY owns the best known print. They screened it in LA about a year and a half ago.

Fair warning: the most intersting thing about Fear & Desire is that this clunky filmmaker is 3 years from The Killing, 4 from Paths of Glory and 7 from Spartacus.

He comes a VERY long way in a short while. Do not expect to be blown away by anything other than curiosity and a few nice moments.

And of course I'm buying it.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Excellent. The shorts are hardly deal breakers but it's nice to see at least one of them is still coming.
I will still buy, but if it doesn't end up including all 3 shorts, that sucks. If none of them were included that still had the opportunity of another release for the shorts. If this indeed ends up with only 1 short, the chances of getting the other 2 dramatically decreases and I want all of them.

If they don't release all of them, while this will still be a great release, they will have majorly dropped the ball, imho.

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in OCD Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness, The Sopranos Complete Collection
Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #20

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Agreed. At least the only one that's in color and longer than the others is included, even if it is pretty dull to sit through. Maybe it'll be better in HD!

Last edited by MikeyHitchFan; 08-08-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America