COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Complete 30-Film Collection (DVD)
$91.99
Modern Family: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
$14.96
NCIS: The Complete Eleventh Season (DVD)
$34.99
Jean Rollin: The Vampire Films (DVD)
$32.99
Fed Up (DVD)
$9.96
Casshern Sins: Part 1 (DVD)
$27.25
Psych (DVD)
$91.99
The Tudors: The Complete Series (DVD)
$40.35
The Originals: The Complete First Season (DVD)
$34.99
New Girl: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$14.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 9 (DVD)
$14.99
Agatha Christie's Poirot, Complete Case Collection (DVD)
$175.99
Law & Order: The Twelfth Year (DVD)
$11.49
Operation Petticoat (DVD)
$12.99
Sleepaway Camp (DVD)
$15.99
Queer as Folk: The Complete Series (DVD)
$67.41
Californication: The Final Season (DVD)
$16.49
The League: The Complete Season Five (DVD)
$14.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (DVD)
$29.99
Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2011
Default Laurel and hardy

Any Laurel and hardy fans on this site ? Haven't seen these guys for years pure classic . anyone own the box set ?
What are you? I'm Batman
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Jun 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefan View Post
Any Laurel and hardy fans on this site ? Haven't seen these guys for years pure classic . anyone own the box set ?
I was a member of the Sons of the Desert when I lived in Los Angeles decades ago, the Way Out West tent ("The tent of the stars"). Then I left the country.

I started collecting Laurel and Hardy films on 8mm and then 16mm back in the 1960's and continued to do so for many years. I have some of The Boy's features and many of their shorts in 16mm film copies.

I have the blu-ray edition of "March of the Wooden Soldiers"...but do not know of a blu-ray box set. I have seen multiple DVD box sets listed over the years, and bought this one some years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy...4423159&sr=1-1

I hear there is a new American set out on DVD.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Mar 2009
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Hi, I'm glad someone has set up a laurel and hardy post! I'm a huge fan on the greatest comedy duo! Got all releases on VHS and DVD! Hope to see all of them released on blu one day! If you had to pick a favourite short & film what would yours be? I love them all but my favourites would be the laurel and hard murder case and the film would be sons of the desert or block heads! I actually watched saps at sea last night!
"James Bond: 007 reporting for duty.
M: Where the hell have you been?
James Bond: Enjoying death.

23 Steelbooks
70 Slip Covers
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
I was a member of the Sons of the Desert when I lived in Los Angeles decades ago, the Way Out West tent ("The tent of the stars"). Then I left the country.

I started collecting Laurel and Hardy films on 8mm and then 16mm back in the 1960's and continued to do so for many years. I have some of The Boy's features and many of their shorts in 16mm film copies.

I have the blu-ray edition of "March of the Wooden Soldiers"...but do not know of a blu-ray box set. I have seen multiple DVD box sets listed over the years, and bought this one some years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy...4423159&sr=1-1

I hear there is a new American set out on DVD.
you must be lucky to have these prints my favourite short is laughing gravy and the music box. Don't get me wrong i love L&H but i dont think they will benefit on blu ray becouse they are in 4:3.
What are you? I'm Batman
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Jun 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Thailand

Quote:
you must be lucky to have these prints my favourite short is laughing gravy and the music box. Don't get me wrong i love L&H but i dont think they will benefit on blu ray becouse they are in 4:3.
I have many films on blu-ray that are 1.37:1 that look fabulous, such as "Casablanca" "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and the like. "The March of the Wooden Soldiers" is definitely improved on blu-ray.

I think their best film is "Way Out West" which I think tops all the shorts as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

i love laurel and hardy.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Sep 2008

Quote:
Purchased the DVD box set from Amazon when it went on sale a few months back. Haven't opened it yet but hope to enjoy watching it some cold, rain-soaked weekend. I still have many VHS copies of the shorts and several features that were issued from Nostalgic Merchant in the 1980's! Though I don't watch them anymore, they are hard to get rid of or part with!

My favorite short is "Tit for Tat" and feature is "Sons of the Desert".
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanShane View Post
Purchased the DVD box set from Amazon when it went on sale a few months back. Haven't opened it yet but hope to enjoy watching it some cold, rain-soaked weekend. I still have many VHS copies of the shorts and several features that were issued from Nostalgic Merchant in the 1980's! Though I don't watch them anymore, they are hard to get rid of or part with!

My favorite short is "Tit for Tat" and feature is "Sons of the Desert".
A word of warning, they come in cardboard cases and scratch easily. Some on mne were scratched on arrival so I got a second set from Amazon and mixed and matched for a non scratched set and put them in a 10 dvd case holder.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Quote:
Am huge Stan and Babe fan. PM me if you want as I'd love to chat with you about them, if you wish.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009

in your opinion is the box set worth it for $41 after taxes if it was going to be a blind buy or do you think it will go lower in the future
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

I don't think it will go much lower unless Amazon does one of their gold box deals or on a Black Friday thing. 41dollars, I'd go for it.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Power Member

Jul 2008

Great to see some love for Laurel and Hardy! I picked up the "new" set a while back without hesitation. I waited for years to get my hands on most of this stuff! This comedy is timeless. I usually play a short or two before I watch a movie. It's a really fun way to get through the set.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #13

Aug 2007

The new L&H Essentials box set is terrific. I don't even mind the packaging.

Now if we could just get a similar set for the boy's silent films...
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #14

Aug 2007

Laurel & Hardy: The Essentials Collection is currently on sale at Amazon for $51.99.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Power Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdog View Post
Laurel & Hardy: The Essentials Collection is currently on sale at Amazon for $51.99.
Totally worth it IMHO. The Laurel and Hardy essential collection is a 10 disc set which contains most of their sound shorts and films. Like I've said this set is a dream come true. We didn't see much of Laurel and Hardy for many years due do legal disputes. It's great to have the boys back.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #16

Jan 2013
Derbyshire England

I love L & H, I have most of their stuff on DVD and I am thinking about buying the blu-ray of March Of The Wooden Soldiers, is it any good and is it region coded?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #17

Dec 2010

Always loved watching L&H. As I watch Gilligan's Island on METV, I see a bit of influence in the Skipper's reactions to Gilligan.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #18

Aug 2013

My favourite all time comedians.

Best movie...Way Out West and Son's of the Desert

Best Shorts...Blotto, Should Married Men Go Home and Big Business

Here in Australia the complete box set was released in 3 cases containing 7 discs per case. 21 dvd's , 4122 minutes. Identical content as the big box set but a hell of a lot more 'shelf friendly' and only a third of the price for UK and US collections. $56AUD ($50USD)

https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/...lection/686527

Last edited by Flash3000; 02-08-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

I have both the USA and The 21 Disc import DVD set ...
Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Special Member

Sep 2012
Bay Area, CA

Hell yeah Laurel & Hardy still make me howl with laughter

One of my annual Thanksgiving rituals is watching this right after football:
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies