Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$135.99
Merlin: The Complete Series (DVD)
$95.99
Defiance: Season Two (DVD)
$37.39
The Eagle - A Crime Odyssey, Season 1 (DVD)
$22.99
Duck Dynasty (DVD)
$34.49
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (DVD)
$24.99
Mama's Family: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$119.59
Connections (DVD)
$56.50
Inspector Manara: Season 1 (DVD)
$22.99
The Big Valley: Season Three (DVD)
$24.69
Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$267.49
Wings: The Complete Series (DVD)
$36.29
Highway to Heaven: The Complete Series (DVD)
$29.74
Spenser For Hire: Season 1 (DVD)
$22.98
Newhart: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$18.99
Good Ol Freda (DVD)
$9.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
United Kingdom Smash (Season One)

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:

AMAZON.UK PRE-ORDER
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smash-Season...4487148&sr=1-1

Quote:
Comes to DVD on 29 October 2012

“Smash is excellent – A bar raiser for broadcast networks” – The Hollywood Reporter

“Pretty damn perfect” – TV Line

“The songs and set pieces could be staged tomorrow” – The Guardian

“Sassy and star-studded – and it could signal the end for Glee” – The Metro

Reach for the stars as the US hit musical sensation set to strike a chord with critics and viewers worldwide; SMASH – Season One comes to DVD on 29 October 2012 courtesy of Universal Playback.

Developed from the mind of Executive Producer and multiple Emmy® and Oscar® winner Steven Spielberg (E.T, Schindler’s List) and created by a production team including Neil Meron (Footloose, Chicago) and Theresa Rebeck (Law and Order, N.Y.P.D Blue), SMASH – The Complete First Season hits all the right notes. The ingenious Tony and Grammy award-winning writing duo Marc Shaiman (Hairspray) and Scott Wittman (Glee) have put together a phenomenal musical score including covers of popular hits and breath-taking original songs. Art Director Doug Huszti (Gossip Girl, Boardwalk Empire), set decorator Rich Devine (Ugly Betty), and production designer Cabot McMullen (Scrubs, Cougar Town) work together in perfect harmony to re-produce the glitz and glamour of the New York theatre scene on the small screen.
Idealistic Iowan and part time waitress ‘Karen Cartwright’, played by American Idol finalist and fresh-faced beauty Katherine McPhee, has dreams of stage superstardom. Enticed by the bright lights of the New York City theatre, Karen is desperate for her big break, disappointed by audition after audition when she hears of a project in development. Accomplished and revered writing duo ‘Tom Levitt’ (Christian Borle- The Bounty Hunter, Legally Blonde: The Musical) and’ Julia Houston’ (Debra Messing – Will & Grace, The Wedding Date) are working on a biopic musical about the life of screen siren and Hollywood Icon Marilyn Monroe. The only problem being that Broadway baby and vocal powerhouse ‘Ivy Lynn’ (Megan Hilty – Wicked, Desperate Housewives) is also auditioning for the part. Soon the competition really heats up as both potential Norma Jeans begin to submit to the back-biting and pressure-inducing underbelly of Broadway behind the curtain. The two opponents attempt to claw their way to the top with the biggest prize of all within reach. In the heady realms of lights, camera, action; neither of them, it seems, are prepared for the long fall back to earth.

With a spectacular ensemble cast including British talents Jack Davenport (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Talented Mr. Ripley) as unsympathetic director ‘Derek Wills’ and Raza Jaffrey (Harry Brown, Spooks) as Karen’s boyfriend ‘Dev’. This incredible debut series is blessed with the incomparable tour de force; Angelica Houston (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Witches) as tenacious theatre producer ‘Eileen Rand’. SMASH – Season One has plucked its acting and behind the scenes talent from the upper register of the entertainment universe.

Stay tuned and don’t let missing this innovative new series be your seven year itch as SMASH – The Season One dances onto DVD on 29 October 2012, from Universal Playback.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
A Broadway musical, based on the life of Marilyn Monroe, is being written by the successful song-writing duo Tom and Julia. Julia recently began the process of adopting a child with her husband Frank of many years, but her focus is torn when she has the opportunity to write another Broadway hit. A rivalry soon forms for the lead role between a youthful, inexperienced Midwestern beauty Karen Cartwright - who is trying to find fame in the big city against all odds - and stage veteran Ivy Lynn, who's determined to leave the chorus line and finally get her big break. A tenacious producer Eileen discovers the "Marilyn" project and jumps on board with a brilliant director, Derek - whose talent is matched by his cunning and egocentric amorality.

DVD DETAILS
Title: SMASH – Season One
Certificate: TBC
Run Time: 670 mins
Genre: Musical / Drama
RRP (DVD): £29.99
Special Features: Deleted Scenes,
Gag reel
Featurette: A Dream Come True
Featurette: Song & Dance
Music Video: Touch Me
Pro-B
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

I really really wanted to like this show but had to give up after about 5 episodes. Half of the cast became so annoying and the plot unrealistic that it became painful to watch. I heard that it got better in the later half of the season and most of the characters I found annoying were let go at the end of the season so I *might* netflix this to see if I want to continue with season 2...
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Dec 2011
UK

I absolutely LOVE this show!!!!! I really want it to be released on Bluray though, any chance of this happening?
I watched the whole show on Sky Atlantic HD and the quality was magnificent, and I thought it would look even better in bluray.
There is a French Bluray listed and I would consider getting it as it would be Region B, but can anyone tell me if it would be in English/have an English audio track????
Thanks x
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT1000 View Post
There is a French Bluray listed and I would consider getting it as it would be Region B, but can anyone tell me if it would be in English/have an English audio track????
Most English speaking DVD's and Blu-ray's have the original audio when released in foreign territories but you should be mindful that some have forced subtitles (in this case it would be French subtitles) which you can't disable. Best is to wait for a review and release to make sure.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Dec 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Most English speaking DVD's and Blu-ray's have the original audio when released in foreign territories but you should be mindful that some have forced subtitles (in this case it would be French subtitles) which you can't disable. Best is to wait for a review and release to make sure.
OK Thanks Will there definately be a review? and if there is, how long will it be before its up

Also if anyone is purchasing the item could you please confirm what language its in and is it possible to get it in English?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

Aug 2010

There is an english audiotrack and english subtitles.
But pretty much any time there's a song, forced french subtitles are displayed !

Last edited by PintoZ; 02-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies