Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

May 2009
Default Disney The Hunchback of Notre Dame / The Hunchback of Notre Dame II - 3/12 Review

The Hunchback of Notre Dame / The Hunchback of Notre Dame II Blu-ray

The Hunchback of Notre Dame / The Hunchback of Notre Dame II Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Disney has set March 12, 2013 as the day when three animated classics and their direct-to-video sequels will make their Blu-ray debuts. Arriving in 2-Movie Collection Blu-ray + DVD Combo Packs are Mulan & Mulan 2, Brother Bear & Brother Bear 2, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame & The Hunchback of Notre Dame II. Each 3-Disc Special Edition will consist of one Blu-ray and 2 DVDs and carry a $39.99 SRP list price. More details to come.
Source: DVDizzy.com

The film has already been announced for release in Greece and the Middle East in December 2012. Hopefully, North America will see it either around then or early 2013. The only reason it probably wouldn't is if Disney Home Entertainment North America pulls a "Tarzan". Thoughts?

Last edited by Deciazulado; 03-08-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Jul 2012

on of my fav disney classics wish its a diamond edition
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Power Member

Mar 2011

My guess is we'll get hunchback and hercules sometime between the end of this year or next year after a long time being overdue for a new release. What I find interesting is other countries are releasing this with Brother Bear, and the US was supposedly getting Brother Bear in Oct or Nov. Neither DVDS are out of print, and I would really hate if they don't reissue the DVDs too.

Last edited by disneyfreak; 08-20-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
In the Southern Isles
USA

I'm smelling another 2-Movie Collection with that horrendous sequel.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil92 View Post
I'm smelling another 2-Movie Collection with that horrendous sequel.
Same here, I cringe at the thought.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2012

Cant wait! Love the song of Frollo "Hellsfire".

And yeah I hope they wont add part 2! BAD ART AND BAD STORY! lol
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Banned

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

The only good things about the second were Jennifer Love Hewitt voicing Madeline, and the song she did for the soundtrack. The first is one of the best from the Renaissance era, up there with "Beauty and the Beast". I'd love to see it released on Blu-Ray.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Please, please, PLEASE don't package it with the sequel. Unlike Fox and the Hound and Pocahontas, this is one film I actually really want to own. I love the "2 movie collections" for Fantasia and The Rescuers, but those are Disney feature animation canon, the DTV sequels are not, and I want NOTHING to do with those!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

I don't like the DTV sequels anymore than you guys do, with Aladdin and the King of Thieves and The Lion King 2 being the exceptions, but I can't hold off owning these movies that I love just because they're packaged with the sequels. Is it a bummer? Yes. But I'd rather own the original than not at all. Maybe that's just me. Just because the sequel is on the disc doesn't mean you have to watch it.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell
Letterboxd: pj_campbell
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

Feb 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands

It's my favorite Disney movie so I hope it will be released in the Netherlands too this year !
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Gave it a rewatch to see if it would be a blind buy for me. I hadn't seen this one since 2009 so I didn't know what to expect, really. I was let down a bit, safe to say this is not my favorite of the 90s.

It's not that it's a bad movie though, far from that, but the intense atmosphere and adult themes seem really heavy on me. Also is it just me or is the animation in this movie a bit lackluster compared to it's precedents Pocahontas and the Lion King, both among the most visually stunning movies Disney ever produced?
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

One of the few disney animated movies I haven't seen yet.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #13

Jul 2009
mexico
Send a message via Yahoo to cuau_cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Gave it a rewatch to see if it would be a blind buy for me. I hadn't seen this one since 2009 so I didn't know what to expect, really. I was let down a bit, safe to say this is not my favorite of the 90s.

It's not that it's a bad movie though, far from that, but the intense atmosphere and adult themes seem really heavy on me. Also is it just me or is the animation in this movie a bit lackluster compared to it's precedents Pocahontas and the Lion King, both among the most visually stunning movies Disney ever produced?
How can it be a blind buy if you have not only watched it, but rewatched it? :P
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Hunchback is my third favorite Disney film after Alice and (the original) Pooh. It's not a perfect film (the gargoyles and slapstick humor are rather out of place), but what it does right, it absolutely excels in. It's got the best score of any animated film, in my opinion.

As excited as I am over it coming to Blu-ray, I'm also very worried. This is the only other CAPS film besides Rescuers Down Under not to have its digital master shown anywhere (Hercules never got a direct-from-the-digital-source release, but its HD airings are struck from the CAPS master). And since Rescuers Down Under's BD release ended up being struck from a film print, I'm worried Hunchback's will, too.

Not only that, but I was hoping the BD release would finally port over all the laserdisc supplements that didn't make it to DVD. But considering Pocahontas actually DROPPED supplements from its previous DVD release and relegated the rest to the Virtual Vault, I can't see Disney going through the effort of digging out the LD supplements for Hunchback. All I ask for is a CAPS transfer with all the laserdisc content. I'm not even asking for new supplements. Unfortunately, I have a feeling supplement-wise, it'll just be a clone of the DVD (perhaps even dropping an item or two) and will be struck from a film print. I hope I'm wrong.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
Hunchback is my third favorite Disney film after Alice and (the original) Pooh. It's not a perfect film (the gargoyles and slapstick humor are rather out of place), but what it does right, it absolutely excels in. It's got the best score of any animated film, in my opinion.

As excited as I am over it coming to Blu-ray, I'm also very worried. This is the only other CAPS film besides Rescuers Down Under not to have its digital master shown anywhere (Hercules never got a direct-from-the-digital-source release, but its HD airings are struck from the CAPS master). And since Rescuers Down Under's BD release ended up being struck from a film print, I'm worried Hunchback's will, too.

Not only that, but I was hoping the BD release would finally port over all the laserdisc supplements that didn't make it to DVD. But considering Pocahontas actually DROPPED supplements from its previous DVD release and relegated the rest to the Virtual Vault, I can't see Disney going through the effort of digging out the LD supplements for Hunchback. All I ask for is a CAPS transfer with all the laserdisc content. I'm not even asking for new supplements. Unfortunately, I have a feeling supplement-wise, it'll just be a clone of the DVD (perhaps even dropping an item or two) and will be struck from a film print. I hope I'm wrong.
I have a feeling were going to get the same treatment the rescuers got, not transfer wise, it should be direct digital files. According to some people Hercules has been playing on tv in HD from CAPS files, i don't know if Hunchback has played, but either way they should be digital files. I have a feeling that we'll get 1 new bonus features like a deleted song or scene, and than the rest will be old features.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfreak View Post
I have a feeling were going to get the same treatment the rescuers got, not transfer wise, it should be direct digital files. According to some people Hercules has been playing on tv in HD from CAPS files, i don't know if Hunchback has played, but either way they should be digital files. I have a feeling that we'll get 1 new bonus features like a deleted song or scene, and than the rest will be old features.
Hunchback has aired in HD, but the HD broadcasts are from the same print-sourced master as the DVD. That's why I'm worried. The digital master for Hunchback hasn't been shown or used anywhere, and I'm afraid Disney won't want to go through the effort of digging it up for this release. If they can at least give me a transfer direct from the digital source, I'll be fine since I know someone who can get me the laserdisc supplements.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuau_cg View Post
How can it be a blind buy if you have not only watched it, but rewatched it? :P
I guess I misunderstood the definition of the term "blind buy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post

The only place in the film where the gargoyles felt really out of place was when they were singing that song about Esmeralda loving Quasimodo. That was just.. weird. Other than that, I love them. Especially Laverne, oh my god she's freaking hilarious. The goat loving one, meh.

I agree with you, I really hope HonD gets an all-digital transfer and I'm really disappointed to hear about RDU being transferred from film print. I have a HD TV rip of Hercules on my laptop and it looks absolutely amazing, some of the best colours I've ever seen in an animated movie. Would like the same for HonD; the dvd I have is in comparison really murky. I hope an eventual BD brings out the bright purple in Frollo's garbs and the psychedelic palette of the Festival of Fools.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #18

Feb 2008
Never Never Land.

I actually get a chill down my spine knowing I may end up owning that abortion of a sequel but I SO want the original on blu that I will have to suck it up & get it. I've never done custom artwork but may have to see about finding some so that it doesn't SHOW on the cover that I purchased that horrid POS.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post

Holy cow -- it has to just be you, because the animation and visual staging in that movie is STUNNING. It was the first of the Eisner-era films that finally challenged Walt-era films like Pinocchio in terms of layouts, staging, backgrounds, character animation, ambition.

Hunchback has issues, but boy - animation and visuals aren't among them.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 08-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Holy cow -- it has to just be you, because the animation and visual staging in that movie is STUNNING. It was the first of the Eisner-era films that finally challenged Walt-era films like Pinocchio.

Hunchback has issues, but boy - animation and visuals aren't among them.
There are a few. If I have to cite one example, I'd go with the painfully obvious CGI crowd in the end.
It's a given that it's a magnificent looking film because it's Disney, I just meant it wasn't as visually innovative compared to TLK and Pocahontas.

Gotta say by the way, best climax in a Disney movie ever.. It was just so unexpectedly epic!
--
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America