COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #301
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Warsteiner Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie-Brat View Post
Three to four hours, what?
This is fairly common knowledge amongst Phantasm Phans.... I just can't quite remember if it was 3 or 4. It was almost enough for 2 full movies....Oblivion was made up of some of this footage.... We need to get some fans brought up to Phan level....
"Don't be stupid, this is way more entertaining than Hollywood's ever gonna be!" - Revy, Black Lagoon

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - TV Show Host, Robocop

What really happened to Farscape!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #302
Expert Member

Jan 2013

This sort of thing always has me curious as to what the hell did they originally plan because first I find about Child's Play being originally two hours and A New Leaf being originally three hours. I watched the former and it didn't even feel like nothing was cut.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #303
Power Member

Nov 2008
Texas

I didn't know about 'Phantasm' being that long either. I would love another movie.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #304
Special Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Has anyone mentioned that this is the R-rated cut? I mention this because a few friends that were watching the blu with me a few nights ago specifically recalled seeing a version of PHANTASM II that included the extra gore scenes. Was PHANTASM II ever put out (on VHS, laserdisc or DVD) as uncut or unrated?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #305

May 2009

Some of the dialogue in this release seemed drastically quiet. Just a line here and there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
Has anyone mentioned that this is the R-rated cut? I mention this because a few friends that were watching the blu with me a few nights ago specifically recalled seeing a version of PHANTASM II that included the extra gore scenes. Was PHANTASM II ever put out (on VHS, laserdisc or DVD) as uncut or unrated?
The workprint footage had been floating around for quite a while prior to this release. It features the deleted gore.

Last edited by JoshKelhoffer; 03-31-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #306
Special Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKelhoffer View Post
The workprint footage had been floating around for quite a while prior to this release. It features the deleted gore.
I know, but my point was that my friends saw PHANTASM II with the extra gore integrated into the movie, and it wasn't a time-coded VHS tape.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #307

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
I know, but my point was that my friends saw PHANTASM II with the extra gore integrated into the movie, and it wasn't a time-coded VHS tape.
As far as I have seen, that's the only way the footage has been presented. The mind has a tendency to blur memories together. This is why people remember a scene in Jurassic Park that existed in the original novel and the junior novelization, but not in the film itself. I myself remember seeing a scene from Batman Returns where Catwoman actually finds the whip in the department store she blows up back in 1992, but as far I can tell, that scene never existed and my false memory stems from a thought I had while watching that scene in theaters.

The blu ray itself even uses the workprint footage for those extra minutes gore in both the deleted scene sections and in the documentary. If they existed in better condition, in an official capacity, I would think they use that instead.

But, then again, people have cleaned up footage from the Halloween 6 Producer's Cut. It's quality is still rusty, but the time code has been cropped and quality has been slightly improved. Maybe somebody did this with Phantasm II? The movie took forever to come to DVD, which means it was probably one of those titles that shows up in the convention circuits, from VHS preservation vendors.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #308

Feb 2013

Looks like the transfer is a mixed bag. The below pic being an example of a low point...

[Show spoiler]

Either the brightness is turned up so bright that you can't see the space gate in the background, or it's been CGI'd out for some reason.
"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #309

Jun 2011

I'm very pleased overall with the Blu-ray, Scream did a superb job with it. My favorite of the series got such a good treatment.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #310

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrugStillo View Post
I looked quick and didn't notice whether this had been mentioned and didn't see it so I'll mention it. There is what seems to be like a digital wear line just under the letterbox bar at the top of the screen. You can see traces of it on the actual screencaps on this site as well so it's not just my copy. It almost looks like pixel static. If Cliff (cmac) has an explanation for this I would appreciate knowing what it is. If it's inherent to their master I can live with it but I hope it's not an encoding error. I just figured I'd bring this up to see if I could get a confirmation about what it is or if anyone else has noticed it. I'm sure whether people did or not it is there cause like I said you can see it in the screencaps here as well. Otherwise I'm liking this release.
You aren't the only one. The digital wear line is also noticeable during the clips shown on the doc "The Ball is Back", so I'm guessing it has to do with the master as well. Any input from Cliff Mac and the other fine people at Shout Factory would be great.

I also have to take criticism with the reviewer for Bluray.com regarding his review of the supplements on Phantasm II.

Quote:
this is another Shout! Factory release with inconveniently authored supplements. Neither the chapter skip nor the Top Menu buttons are accessible within the supplements, meaning once you've chosen one of these, you're stuck with it unless you fast forward through to the end
Wrong. I can easily access other features on the top menu while still playing the supplements.

Last edited by Stanley Strangelove; 04-21-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #311
Banned

Jan 2013

Why isnt anyone announceing Phantasm 1 on blu ray there was a rumour it was coming out in the UK whats going on.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #312
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromc69 View Post
Why isnt anyone announceing Phantasm 1 on blu ray there was a rumour it was coming out in the UK whats going on.
Because whomever has the rights isn't planning to release it right now.
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1300 Blu-Rays as of 6/29/14: The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night: Criterion Collection
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #313
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
I'm very pleased overall with the Blu-ray, Scream did a superb job with it. My favorite of the series got such a good treatment.
"Superb?" Wow...that's a strong word to use for an upscale. There isn't any more detail on the BD than there is on the DVD:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...D=1675#auswahl
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #314
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
"Superb?" Wow...that's a strong word to use for an upscale.
I haven't picked this one up yet, but... yeah, unless Caps-A-Holic screwed the pooch on this comparison (and they rarely do), YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. There isn't any clear example of additional resolution to be found in any of those 10 samples, or if there are, I sure as hell can't spot them. Hell, in THIS SHOT the DVD appears to have more detail, probably because the "HD" version has had an additional pass of DVNR.

I've made some knee-jerk reactions based on screenshots before, but the fact that I can't find a single detail in any of these samples that's better on the BD is pretty damning. Again, don't own the disc myself (and I'll not comment on it further unless/until I do), but this comparison is brutal. Cliff, anything you can tell us? The SHOUT releases of various Jackie Chan films suggests there's no company-wide mandate against upscales, so... your move, I gues?

EDIT: And for the record, "Universal handed us an HDCAM SR" tape doesn't mean it's not an upscale. I'm sure the Jackie Chan double features were sent out from Kam & Ronson as HDCAM tapes or something similar, but that clearly doesn't mean they aren't SD masters upsampled to 1080p after the fact.

Last edited by Kentai; 05-05-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #315
Banned

Jan 2013

I got a fealing Phantasm 1 blu ray announcement soon. I got a sighned Don Coscarelli circuit city exclusive of the dvd if anyone wants to trade let me know .
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #316
Shout Factory Insider

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
I haven't picked this one up yet, but... yeah, unless Caps-A-Holic screwed the pooch on this comparison (and they rarely do), YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. There isn't any clear example of additional resolution to be found in any of those 10 samples, or if there are, I sure as hell can't spot them. Hell, in THIS SHOT the DVD appears to have more detail, probably because the "HD" version has had an additional pass of DVNR.

I've made some knee-jerk reactions based on screenshots before, but the fact that I can't find a single detail in any of these samples that's better on the BD is pretty damning. Again, don't own the disc myself (and I'll not comment on it further unless/until I do), but this comparison is brutal. Cliff, anything you can tell us? The SHOUT releases of various Jackie Chan films suggests there's no company-wide mandate against upscales, so... your move, I gues?

EDIT: And for the record, "Universal handed us an HDCAM SR" tape doesn't mean it's not an upscale. I'm sure the Jackie Chan double features were sent out from Kam & Ronson as HDCAM tapes or something similar, but that clearly doesn't mean they aren't SD masters upsampled to 1080p after the fact.
It's an HD transfer approved by the Don Coscarelli.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #317
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
It's an HD transfer approved by the Don Coscarelli.
So the DVD was in HD, as well then? haha
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #318
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Wait... does Cliff have any direct impact on Shout Factory titles that aren't on the Scream Factory label? And have they said anything prior about the Jackie Chan masters, for that matter? 'Cause those damned things are as upscaled as it gets.

Cliff, I... have my doubts that the AB UK DVD and the Blu-ray weren't made from the same master. Who did you purchase the materials from, Universal or AB? Did you do any additional clean-up work? Could there have been a process that limited resolution prior to encoding - a bug in the system, perhaps? Was Coscarelli's approval made when the master was created, or did he come in for this release specifically?

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, and I thank you for having answered my initial question. I just want to know why the Blu-ray looks virtually identical to a PAL DVD from 2005. I've been perfectly satisfied with the rest of your output up to this point, but this PHANTASM II comparison just doesn't add up. Help me understand, please.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #319
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAC
It's bad business to say "Sorry, all the fan boys say you are lying that these are SD masters"
Yes, it might be. But the fact that you still asked suggests you thought there's something to it.

I'd still love answers to my initial round of questions, but I think we can make this even easier: "Are the Jackie Chan double features sourced from HD masters?" This is a 'yes' or 'no' question. Think very carefully before you answer it.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #320
Banned

Jan 2013

Guys seriously i never want to hear the name Jackie chan on a Phantasm forum again. First off Cliff is doing great work im buying most of the Scream factory blu rays , they have great special features and look great. The people trying to say his just putting SD quality on a blu ray disk are blind or plane ignorant. Lets get back to talking about Phantasm and once again if you want to mention Jackie Chan go to one of his forums.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America