Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Running Scared $14.99 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.29
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$8.00
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.28
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$11.06
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (PS3)
$19.99
LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
$18.60
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.28
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
Call me odd, but honestly, Final Fantasy XIII wasn't much better visually than a good PS2 game in the first place. The only thing that looks better than say XII is the the character models (although they can't fix the puppet fingers). The performance issues on the video at least, is interesting?

It's odd I actually liked the game enough to beat it, and don't generally like JRPGs. (granted, I have a Persona character on my profile, but I'm asking to please don't flame) :P
The resolution of the textures in the city doesnt look HD. The tree has 2D sprite images for leaves. XIII was originally suppose to be a PS2 game. They made it a PS3 game. The first trailer was in 2006. 2006. Its 1st generation PS3 graphics, and still is to this day. We didnt see the steady upping of graphics like Uncharted 1 - 2 - 3 had. Why not? I dont know, and dont care, really.

I can tell you this. Square-Enix will not see .01 of money from here on out. That company is a train wreck, and the idea people are bragging about getting in line to get a spoonful of that slop almost sickens me. Almost.

Final Fantasy died some time ago. When exactly? I'm not sure. But I can tell you it was around the time they decided to start giving characters blue, pink, purple, and other rainbow colored hair. Look, I'm all for surrealism in the Final Fantasy series. Crazy things like Barret's gun arm or Cloud's sword which was bigger then him.

But those things were cool surrealism. The goofiness was glossed over by dingy, dark, and sometimes realistic atmosphere and clothing the characters wore.

There is no glossing over the goofiness of XIII. Because everything in those games are goofy. The music, scenery, weapons, clothing, even the names. There is no break, no relief. Add on HD visuals in which we can see this goofy behavior all the more clearly and you really have a problem.

So, how do they fix Final Fantasy? Go back to a grittier, more down to earth story/world complimented by surrealism. Check out Agnes Philosophy for a good example of this. Nobody in that trailer looks like Homey the Clown dressed them. Nobody has swords made up of 1,000 little blades and intricacies. Nobody has rainbow colored hair.

The characters look and dress like they are from a fantasy world, but this time its not Pee-Wee Hermans fantasy. And the city/backdrop is the perfect surreal enviorment, like Midgar from FFVII.

Images highlighting the differences...

Lightning Returns - Looks like a fan dressed up for an Oakland Raiders game

Agnis Philosophy - Simple, surreal outfit. Hair is not colored orange, green, or purple. Doesnt look like it just poppped out of some generic D list Anime.

Sorry for the rant, but its been eating me up.
4K > 1080p
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
T
I can tell you this. Square-Enix will not see .01 of money from here on out. That company is a train wreck, and the idea people are bragging about getting in line to get a spoonful of that slop almost sickens me. Almost.
Most of the main people who were behind Square's success with Final 1-10 and Chrono Trigger left SE for the following companies...

Monolith Soft
Mistwalker
Level 5

Now the company is just a shell of its former glory ex Tetsuya Nomura, who is pumping out as many DS Kingdom Hearts as he can, and Yoshinori Kitase, who is pumping out these Final XIII games.

And I agree that this this trailer looks like a ps2 game.... Least in towns it does.
The battle is hopeless... There is no beating the Pigeon Boys.
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin http://steamcommunity.com/id/RaijinUT, Origin: Raijins, Switch: SW-0685-8595-0597
Mr. Beautiful's number 1 groupie and one proud Malamute owner

Last edited by RaijinUT; 12-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Don't forget that a large number of them went to GungHo, too!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #44
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Not sure how I feel about this seeing Cloud is one of my all time favorite Characters.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-fantasy-xiii/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvcqxfmPOE#at=32

I kinda want to preorder but not sure if ill even have my ps3 since ill be on the PS4. Kids will still keep their ps3 so I mean I could always play it there.
RIP IvanSeesAll

Last edited by Bizdady; 07-02-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Is that a sword or is she just happy to be weilding it
PSN: GeneticMutation

Currently playing: GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #46
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticMutation View Post
Is that a sword or is she just happy to be weilding it
I see what you did there

LOL I went ahead and preordered it, might as well finish up the series
RIP IvanSeesAll
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Square.... just give us our Final 7 remake already!!! We don't want to pretend that Lighting is Cloud.
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin http://steamcommunity.com/id/RaijinUT, Origin: Raijins, Switch: SW-0685-8595-0597
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Middle TN
Send a message via AIM to nremdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdady View Post
Not sure how I feel about this seeing Cloud is one of my all time favorite Characters.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-fantasy-xiii/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvcqxfmPOE#at=32

I kinda want to preorder but not sure if ill even have my ps3 since ill be on the PS4. Kids will still keep their ps3 so I mean I could always play it there.
Bwahahahaha what a terrible idea. Square Enix wants people to like Lightning so bad that they are willing to do anything LOL. What a bunch of morons. I think they honestly believe if they continue to shove Lightning down everyone's throats year after year that we will all start to like her eventually. Putting her in Cloud clothes doesn't make her any less crappy, it just makes Square Enix look that much more desperate.
Mr. Beautiful Emotionally Handicapped
PSN: nremdn
Battlelog: nremdn
Pigeon Boys #01
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaijinUT View Post
Square.... just give us our Final 7 remake already!!! We don't want to pretend that Lighting is Cloud.
Looks like I am wrong... Lighting Return is currently the #1 selling ps3 game on Amazon. Guess people do want to be Cloud that badly.
A.K.A. Sweet John
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #50
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Quote:
Looks like I am wrong... Lighting Return is currently the #1 selling ps3 game on Amazon. Guess people do want to be Cloud that badly.
RIP IvanSeesAll
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #51
Banned

May 2013

C'mon guys, we don't know if the game is good or not. If your not interested fair enough, but I don't see the point in continuing to come to this thread to continue saying you don't like the series. :/

As for the hd textures not being present, there are no 'HD' textures present in console games. In fact all the textures are of a pitifully low resolution on current gen systems, even the best looking games like the Killzone and Uncharted games along with The Last of Us do not have textures that are anything but subpar (that's what happens when hardware gets as old as it currently is).
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Middle TN
Send a message via AIM to nremdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac01 View Post
C'mon guys, we don't know if the game is good or not. If your not interested fair enough, but I don't see the point in continuing to come to this thread to continue saying you don't like the series. :/
I don't see the point in whining about people complaining about a game on a DISCUSSION forum.
Mr. Beautiful Emotionally Handicapped
PSN: nremdn
Battlelog: nremdn
Pigeon Boys #01
Old 07-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #53
Banned

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremdn View Post
I don't see the point in whining about people complaining about a game on a DISCUSSION forum.
That's my point though, in some posts nothing is being discussed. When they are bringing up concerns cool, or if there dropping in once to say that they haven't liked the series and thus are not interested, also fine. If they come to the thread several times and just say the game is crap without any discussion around it, that isn't a discussion and if someone had done that in The Last of Us thread before release or similar they would have been told to bugger off.

But I guess the below are great examples of discussion:

Quote:
Will she have a personality this time? Who knows!?
Quote:
Bwahahahaha what a terrible idea. Square Enix wants people to like Lightning so bad that they are willing to do anything LOL. What a bunch of morons. I think they honestly believe if they continue to shove Lightning down everyone's throats year after year that we will all start to like her eventually. Putting her in Cloud clothes doesn't make her any less crappy, it just makes Square Enix look that much more desperate.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Geez, how many versions of a crap Final Fantasy game can Square Enix concoct?
Yep quite some discussion there.

Last edited by Insomniac01; 07-04-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Man, the personality quote was from Destructiod... You are digging a little deep with that one since it was on the 1st post of this thread when I created it.

Yes, I complained about turning her into Cloud. Its a valid complaint since the two are already so alike.

And if you are going quote everything I said, then quote the good stuff too and not the few post where I complaining about a valid point. In fact, I even made fun of myself later that day about my "cloud post"

Also, I am on the record numerous numbers times on this site saying that Xiii-2 was Squares best games in since X.

Truth is i have been diehard Square fan since Final 1 was released... It is the reason why I have created most of the Square threads on this site lately. Go ask any Square fan who has been around for that long about how they feel about Squares current direction. Most will of them will give you a negative response.
A.K.A. Sweet John

Last edited by RaijinUT; 07-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Square-Enix does deserve some kicks in the pants for most of the idiocy they've been peddling the past seven or so years.

FFXIII (and the rest of its spinoffs/sequels) were disastrous for the company image.

FFXIV Online very nearly destroyed the rest of their credibility. They eventually turned it around and went back to the drawing board with FFXIV A Realm Reborn... but time will tell if they can salvage their image there.

The only things that give me hope with Square-Enix is their acquisition of Eidos (Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider), and some of their handheld output (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Dissidia, The World Ends With You).

With respect to FFXIII Lighting Returns... it's obvious that Square-Enix (at a corporate level) is just trying to milk the fans, and the developers are making the best of a bad situation. I was pleasantly surprised by how not-terrible FFXIII-2 was, and I'm hoping Lightning Returns has some inspiration behind it as well. The Final Fantasy series is a storied one, and seeing it take these sorts of hammer blows from incredibly stupid management at Square-Enix pains me as a long time FF fan.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Has Over 50 Hours of Content

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will have at least 50 hours of gameplay, Square Enix has announced.

Speaking to IGN as part of a First Look event, gameplay director Yuji Abe addressed fan concerns that the game would feel short when compared to other Final Fantasy titles, thanks to the unavoidable countdown-to-the-apocalypse feature.

"The way the game moves, one period of 24 hours within the game world itself will take play time in the real world around two or three hours of actual, real time," he explained. "Having said that, opening menus, customising your characters, talking to some people or just listening to certain things will cause time to stop. So it isnít quite as short as youíd think.

"Overall, when I did the test plays during the development period, I played through from start to finish trying to see almost all of the aspects of the game and it took roughly about 50 hours.

"So no, I think this is one thatíll take a good chunk of time, and people will be able to enjoy it for a good long while."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...urs-of-content
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god." - Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Chicago

I just watched the latest video on this. Surprisingly it looks pretty impressive. It seems to be a lot more open world, and just funner all around. The bad thing is this releases right around LOS2, so that's not going to help them any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Uo5...Do&app=desktop
Plats--123:
Latest Plat--Nier: Automata
PSN ID: SNAKE_XRS

Last edited by Snake_XRS; 11-20-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Chicago

Special effects trailer

Plats--123:
Latest Plat--Nier: Automata
PSN ID: SNAKE_XRS
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #59
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

I've always wondered this and I thought it would be done with the PS3. But now with the PS4 out I have to wonder again.

Can they make the gameplay graphics ever look like the cinematic graphics?
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #60
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Portland, Oregon

A playable demo is now up in the Japanese PSN Store!
http://gematsu.com/2013/11/lightning...n-japanese-psn
PSN: l-Richie-Kun-l / NNID: Richie-Kun (7395-4703-5312)
Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NSW)
Currently Waiting for: WWE 2K18 for Nintendo Switch?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3