Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
11 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #1

Aug 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to ShenronAlt
Default Is there a service to make your own custom steelbooks?

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this has been asked before here. I have done a quick search and didn't find anything.

Does anybody know of a service that makes custom steelbooks according to your specifications? For a reasonable price of course, something like 200-1000$?

If there isn't I assume it is because it is way to expensive/little profit to make a steelbook, to even justify such a process for a single customer?

If so, does anyone know how much on average does ordering custom steelbooks cost? For instance when Play.com/HMV/Future Shop/MM decide to make an exclusive steelbook, how much is the initial cost? I can't imagine it being too high since then the average of around 22p per steelbook wouldn't make them much money at all even if it is sold by the hundreds (Unless they get a massive discount by signing some sort of long term agreement). Thank you!

PS: You wouldn't expect them to provide the disc inside because of copyright issues, but surely just using an image/title wouldn't get them into trouble?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

The real reason is because you need permission from the copyright owners aka Studios of the actual movies. They basically have to approve the designs that are given by retailers like Play.com assuming they're wanting to release the steelbooks themselves.

As an individual, you could certainly approach them yourself if making the minimum required quantity but the problem is that you'd only have access to make something you own copyright over. Unless of course you somehow managed to get their permission which is extremely unlikely
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #3

Aug 2012
Default A plain steelbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
The real reason is because you need permission from the copyright owners aka Studios of the actual movies. They basically have to approve the designs that are given by retailers like Play.com assuming they're wanting to release the steelbooks themselves.

As an individual, you could certainly approach them yourself if making the minimum required quantity but the problem is that you'd only have access to make something you own copyright over. Unless of course you somehow managed to get their permission which is extremely unlikely

I see... Well, what about a plain steelbook? Or even one with some abstract cover art? Say you wanted to make a Rocky steelbook, and your design is a boxing glove, with an eye of the tiger background (Awwww yeah)? There is no way they could prove that you were in fact, making a rocky steelbook? Nor would you need to inform the people who will be making it. Obviously you wouldn't want to put a title on there...
Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Power Member

Jun 2012
Blackburn, UK
Send a message via MSN to Hussun1 Send a message via Skype™ to Hussun1

Would love it if there was a way of getting custom steelbooks and even slipcovers would be great. I highly doubt anyone would make them for customers, plus I'm sure you need permission even for cover art and not just the movie disc.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenronAlt View Post
I see... Well, what about a plain steelbook? Or even one with some abstract cover art? Say you wanted to make a Rocky steelbook, and your design is a boxing glove, with an eye of the tiger background (Awwww yeah)? There is no way they could prove that you were in fact, making a rocky steelbook? Nor would you need to inform the people who will be making it. Obviously you wouldn't want to put a title on there...
Assuming the cover art is generic enough you could potentially get away with it but the issue is probably that the quantity you must order at a minimum basically comes down to a commerical sort of number and then possibly with people using them for specific movies, like in your example Rocky, you'd probably have studios end up chasing you about it tbh.

In the end, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle doing it as an individual and truth is, it isn't worth it.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #6

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Assuming the cover art is generic enough you could potentially get away with it but the issue is probably that the quantity you must order at a minimum basically comes down to a commerical sort of number and then possibly with people using them for specific movies, like in your example Rocky, you'd probably have studios end up chasing you about it tbh.

In the end, it just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle doing it as an individual and truth is, it isn't worth it.
I know logically it isn't worth it. But I waaaaaant one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I know logically it isn't worth it. But I waaaaaant one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not just contact Scanavo and ask them your questions, since they are they only one who can make steelbooks?

http://www.steelbook.com/
Old 09-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #8

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcummins View Post
Why not just contact Scanavo and ask them your questions, since they are they only one who can make steelbooks?

http://www.steelbook.com/
Thank you. I did not know that existed...
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
Special Member

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Thank you. I did not know that existed...
No problem, glad I could help.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #10

Sep 2010

This would be a great thing but with copyright I can see why it would be an issue. Wouldn't it be cool to pay an extra fee and be able to legally design your own artwork? I'm sure it cost money to personalize each persons request but what would the real difference be compared to say those MOD-DVD releases that are made when you purchase? Have a database with artwork to choose from and letting the customer design their own case seems like a cool way to make a profit plus please the customer.

I know it's just wishful thinking though.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #11

Feb 2011

I have a buddy who makes his own embossed steelbook cases for his favorite movies. He gave up restoring vehicles and made this his creative hobby. He has around 350-400 or so including all the Friday the 13ths, Jaws series, Rambo series, Rocky series, Fight Club, Seven..... The Last time I paid him a visit, he just finished the Chesty Morgan Triple Feature and Black Snake Moan. They are extremely impressive, and I'd say better than anything I've seen available from retail sources.

He works at a fabrication shop where customers have them create anything from custom gull-wing doors for a Porsche to a fuel pump for a bi-plane engine using reference objects or blueprints. As long as he pays for his own materials and confines his work to non-business hours, his boss doesn't care - so its perfect for him.

I don't know if there are any such places around where you live, but it might be an option. Keep in mind however, my friend says he spends upwards of 20-100 hours making one of these cases. At $30 an hour (what he makes, not what the business charges) this could be an expensive venture for you.

Best of luck.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Mount Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvg00 View Post
I have a buddy who makes his own embossed steelbook cases for his favorite movies. He gave up restoring vehicles and made this his creative hobby. He has around 350-400 or so including all the Friday the 13ths, Jaws series, Rambo series, Rocky series, Fight Club, Seven..... The Last time I paid him a visit, he just finished the Chesty Morgan Triple Feature and Black Snake Moan. They are extremely impressive, and I'd say better than anything I've seen available from retail sources.

He works at a fabrication shop where customers have them create anything from custom gull-wing doors for a Porsche to a fuel pump for a bi-plane engine using reference objects or blueprints. As long as he pays for his own materials and confines his work to non-business hours, his boss doesn't care - so its perfect for him.

I don't know if there are any such places around where you live, but it might be an option. Keep in mind however, my friend says he spends upwards of 20-100 hours making one of these cases. At $30 an hour (what he makes, not what the business charges) this could be an expensive venture for you.

Best of luck.
Up to 100 hours to make one steelbook? I don't believe it.
I am not good with stuff, but really... 100 hours to make one steelbook?

Last edited by blurayisnice; 09-05-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisnice View Post
From what he has told me, here are the basic steps:

-First you get hold of a hi-res image as your poster/art template
-Then you decide which parts you want raised/embossed and you alter the poster so it looks the same looking straight ahead even though parts of the image have been raised
-design and build the negative punch\press mold for the metal extrusion using this new pic and its height information
-make a metal cast out of steel (he forges the iron himself) that fits your template mold
-clean up edges etc after it cools
-use this cast in the machine press the metal for your case
-cut the metal into the unfolded box shape
-using some bending machine, bend the metal into the final case shape
-fasten all the parts together
-last minute cleaning up of edges etc
-electro-airbrushing the artwork by hand requires lots of hours, many layers, and many hours to dry between each layer
-add several layers of clear coat for protection (more hours) and bam your done

They are truly works of art.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisnice View Post
Could be an extremley awkward set of machines he uses because they're not made specifically for the job. Could be some other things chucked in too
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2010
Coventry, UK

Quote:

-Then you decide which parts you want raised/embossed and you alter the poster so it looks the same looking straight ahead even though parts of the image have been raised
-design and build the negative punch\press mold for the metal extrusion using this new pic and its height information
-make a metal cast out of steel (he forges the iron himself) that fits your template mold
-electro-airbrushing the artwork by hand requires lots of hours, many layers, and many hours to dry between each layer

Any chance of a couple pics? Would love to see how they look. I bet they look tons better having been hand made.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Power Member

Jun 2012
Blackburn, UK
Send a message via MSN to Hussun1 Send a message via Skype™ to Hussun1

Yeah, I'd love to see some pictures as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #17

Aug 2012

Quote:

Yeah same, would love to see it. I find it hard to believe he hasn't posted these anywhere, considering he works so hard. Do you have a link to one?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Sorry to be tardy to the party, but I understand what you mean - it would be superb if there was a viable way that consumers could design their own steelbooks for an extra charge, keeping the retailers and studios happy all at once. The only problem would be, as people have pointed out already in depth, the studio's copyright hold over a film and all of its images. Add to that the fact that both the term and finished article steelbook are registered trademarks also, and you'd be looking at some hefty expenses just for one individual, but cool, steel. As another member has said, you should get onto steelbook.com and contact them with your idea - since the words "revolutionised" and other various hyperboles are thrown around about themselves on there in abundance, you may find that they might want to listen to you.

And I also would like to see pictures of these home-made steelbooks please. Bet they look super cool.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #19

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
And I also would like to see pictures of these home-made steelbooks please. Bet they look super cool.
Sorry, but he doesn't have a website or anything. He's an old friend I visit a couple times a year when I make the 4 hour drive to see my folks. We used to live next door to him when I was growing up. He's about 15 years older than I am and we became friends over our love of movies. We lived across from the back field of the local drive-in. When Star Wars came out, he painted a mural of the poster on the sliding door of his custom van. He painted a star destroyer on the other side when Empire was released. For some odd reason, it didn't seem to attract the ladies

I contacted him this morning to see if he has any pictures. He told me he doesn't own a digital camera or cellphone. By the way he sounded on the telephone, I don't think he was entirely pleased about the attention. He's an extremely shy person. Maybe the next time I visit, I will sneak a couple of pics

He did offer some advice however. He said you should look for a custom metalworks shop in your area. Bring in a basic steelbook case and tell them you are in the wedding video business, and say you want to create custom steelbooks for your customers. You would need to make it worth their time so you would probably have them fabricate 50 or more plain cases when you are satisfied with their prototype. Then the only thing left is to find a small, local printing place (non-franchise) that would transfer the artwork. Places that make custom t-shirts might be able to help you. Remember to spray a couple of layers of clear-coat on afterwards to protect your investment.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #20

Oct 2008
Southern Cali

If you can somehow get ahold of a blank steelbook such as...
http://www.amazon.de/SteelBook-2-Dis...873936&sr=8-14
You can then make your own stickerbook with ANY artwork you want!

Last edited by Keeblur; 09-05-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Edited Link...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Tags
blu-ray, cost, custom, shop, steelbook