Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
20 hrs ago
The Foreigner (Blu-ray)
$10.99
20 hrs ago
Fifty Shades Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$32.99
5 hrs ago
The Night Stalker (Blu-ray)
$24.96
3 hrs ago
The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Atomic Blonde (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Darkest Hour (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland
Exclamation Fright Night Part II

I would love to own this sequel, even though it was mediocre compared to the first one.

If anyone can try to explain to me about the rights issue, go right ahead. I hope it is released one day.
He'll Be Back...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada

Not aware of the rights issue, but I have a quite good DVD-R of the version that showed on HD-TV. The original legit DVD is now OOP and very expansive, and the picture is only Full Screen 1:33.1.

My bootleg version has a good picture quality and it's widescreen with the OAR. But I hope they release it on Blu-ray soon. Maybe Twilight Time should release the sequel as well if they obtain the rights.

I still have to watch it, as I don't remember well the movie. I know if was not as good as the original, but I don't remember how it was. I might watch the fright Night BD, followed by the sequel soon.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
Not aware of the rights issue, but I have a quite good DVD-R of the version that showed on HD-TV. The original legit DVD is now OOP and very expansive, and the picture is only Full Screen 1:33.1.

My bootleg version has a good picture quality and it's widescreen with the OAR. But I hope they release it on Blu-ray soon. Maybe Twilight Time should release the sequel as well if they obtain the rights.

I still have to watch it, as I don't remember well the movie. I know if was not as good as the original, but I don't remember how it was. I might watch the fright Night BD, followed by the sequel soon.
I have the HDTV rip too very good quality but I would to have a legit release. I watched it today and couldn't help but think why this still is not released. It was an OK sequel nothing spectacular but certainly not an awful sequel...
He'll Be Back...
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_Be_Back View Post
I would love to own this sequel, even though it was mediocre compared to the first one.

If anyone can try to explain to me about the rights issue, go right ahead. I hope it is released one day.
The film was produced by defunct studio "The Vista Organization"; This company was Herbs Jaffe's baby, The First film produced by Vista was the first Fright Night(1985) with a distribution deal with RCA/Columbia Pictures.

Then in 1987 the studio started producing small budget films that were not that successful, so in 1988 The Vista Org did go bankrupt. the films they produced; Three For The Road(1987) starring Charlie Sheen, Maid To Order(1987) Starring Ally Sheedy, Dudes(1987) starring John Cryer and in 1988; Nightflyers, Remote Control and Fright Night Part II.

This studio was following the Carolco Pictures formula, they would get financing on their own and made deals for the domestic and foreign distribution, In North America for the theatrical run was handle by Tri-Star Pictures and the home video was handle by International Video Entertainment (I.V.E.), I.V.E. in 1989 turned into Live Home Entertainment, and in 1999 it turn into Artisan Entertainment and in 2003 it was bought by Lionsgate.

So depending on the licensing being renewed they should be at Lionsgate, but most of the films produced by "The Vista Organization", were never remastered, to do that , they need the film prints or negatives, which I always thought Herb Jaffe would have copies in his possession, but unfortunately Herb Jaffe passed away on December 1991, and Lionsgate never really made any attempt to get the prints or do a special edition, perhaps Tommy Lee Wallace has a print that could be restored and mastered in HD, perhaps a company like Shout Factory could get this accomplished, but there is too much red tape.

Hope this makes sense and it helps you some how.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Special Member

May 2010
In the Light

Quote:
I would love to own this sequel, even though it was mediocre compared to the

first one.
Oh, how dare you!
The second one is a lot more fun!

First off, Charlie's girlfriend gets hotter.
His friend/roomate in this sequel is far less annoying than Evil from the first - although he has less of an attachment to Charlie.
The setup?
Charlie's being setup this time.
Charlie's now being seduced by a female vampire in college.
How do you top a highschool kid vampire horror flick set in the 80's?
Make a college kid vampire AND wolfman horror flick set in the 80's! duh!
In addition to the seductive lead female vampire, there's the introduction of a gender fluid black vampire on roller skates.
Roller skates!
The first one didn't have this much imagination!

There's still a vampire slave, but put him on steroids and feed him bugs (Brian Thompson didn't get the same publicity Nic Cage got for his insect eating in vampire's kiss from the same year). Of course, they also keep old vampire hunter Peter Vincent, who's just as charismatic here as the original. Then they really up the ante with Jon mother effin' Gries as the Wolfman! That's right! Uncle Rico! The same guy who played The Wolfman in Monster Squad! Except in Fright Night II, he's not crazy and out of control wolf, he's just a goofy blood hungry horn dog!

Fright Night Part II is very underrated IMO and I think a lot of that has to do with the really poor transfers this film received shortly after its theatrical release. VHS sucked and the DVD was just a copy of that crappy VHS.

Trust me, the HD version in it's true OAR will literally give you a new perspective and appreciation of the film.
You still may prefer the original, but I think you'll upgrade your opinion of the 2nd from mediocre to marvelous.

Quote:
....I have a quite good DVD-R of the version that showed on HD-TV.....My bootleg version has a good picture quality and it's widescreen with the OAR.
Quote:
I have the HDTV rip too very good quality...
Well, that makes three of us.
I obtained my copy for free via a very generous Youtube user who was showing off HD clips of Fright Night II on his channel. I contacted him and he was awesome enough to send me a copy. Prior to that, I could only DVR the HD version off of cable. It ran for quite some time last year and I must have watched it 4 or 5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo007 View Post
....So, depending on the licensing being renewed they should be at Lionsgate, but most of the films produced by "The Vista Organization", were never remastered, to do that , they need the film prints or negatives, which I always thought Herb Jaffe would have copies in his possession, but unfortunately Herb Jaffe passed away on December 1991, and Lionsgate never really made any attempt to get the prints or do a special edition, perhaps Tommy Lee Wallace has a print that could be restored and mastered in HD, perhaps a company like Shout Factory could get this accomplished, but there is too much red tape....
An HD print does exist though. It's been broadcast and bootlegs are floating around. The bootlegs, which are rips of the HDTV cable broadcasts buries the Artisan DVD in a concrete coffin covered in a shimmering sheet of shame. Lionsgate is just sitting on what appears to be a really solid transfer, possibly waiting for the best licensee offer, or perhaps the remake to the sequel to re-generate interest in the original sequel.
Either way, the HD transfer exists. It just hasn't been slapped on blu-ray.
Okay... show me.

Last edited by Youre My Boy Blu!; 08-13-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
iank (09-10-2014)
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
Special Member

May 2010
In the Light

Since it is a compressed Youtube clip, it isn't representative of true HD, but it does give you an idea of how much improved this will be over the Artisan DVD. We're talking 2:35 OAR people! I love it!
-------------------------------------------------
Okay... show me.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Special Member

Dec 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo007 View Post

This studio was following the Carolco Pictures formula, they would get financing on their own and made deals for the domestic and foreign distribution, In North America for the theatrical run was handle by Tri-Star Pictures and the home video was handle by International Video Entertainment (I.V.E.), I.V.E. in 1989 turned into Live Home Entertainment, and in 1999 it turn into Artisan Entertainment and in 2003 it was bought by Lionsgate.
On a sidenote (not that it really matters), Vista also released a few movies through their own video company, Vista Video. Though I believe they were somehow associated with HBO video, but I could be wrong. A few Vista Video releases that I remember: Howling III, The Crazies, Three for the Road and Blood Tracks.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada

Someone on eBay is selling a BD copy of Fright Night... The explanation is possible, but somehow, I dont think it's a genuine copy:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fright-Night-...item2575672ab0
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Someone on eBay is selling a BD copy of Fright Night... The explanation is possible, but somehow, I dont think it's a genuine copy:

It's the 1080i HDTV rip, burned onto a BD-R. Bootleg.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:

The seller is full of crap by saying FN2 is in the public domain. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fright Night 2 has had no official release on Blu-ray, promo or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Exactly!
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
UK

really loved the first fright night movie.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
It's used at conventions.....
He'll Be Back...
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:

Technically, they're selling the VHS of the original Fright Night with the added bonus of the Fright Night II "promotional" Blu-Ray.

The seller is trying to skirt eBay's rules surrounding the sales of illegitimate or unauthorized materials, by bundling it with something that can be sold on the site and wording it such that the authorized item is for sale and the unauthorized item is a throw-in, albeit with a starting bid that's way higher than the authentic item would or should reasonably sell for. This one in particular is fairly blatant given that four sentences are devoted to the VHS and 3 paragraphs are devoted to the attempt at explanation and legitimization of the Blu-Ray. 99 times out of 100, "For Promotional Use Only," is just another way for saying, "This is a bootleg, but we're trying not to be explicitly blatant about it."
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
99 times out of 100, "For Promotional Use Only," is just another way for saying, "This is a bootleg, but we're trying not to be explicitly blatant about it."
Yup, that eBay listing is 100% load of bull from start to finish.

500 years ago on the planet Zeist
Region A/B positive
MOD BD-R? Heck no!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Banned

Sep 2012

Not sure what the fuss is all about. Fright Night 2 will never get an official release on blu-ray due to the rights issue. Don't you think that if it was going to get a proper release it would have happened by now? The 1080i transfer is very much alive and very real. Whether a release is official or unofficial, at least there is a release of it out there so that the fans of the movie get a chance to see what it was always supposed to look like. We should be happy knowing there are people who are willing to give us what the studios wont
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfanatic85 View Post
Not sure what the fuss is all about. Fright Night 2 will never get an official release on blu-ray due to the rights issue. Don't you think that if it was going to get a proper release it would have happened by now?
I'm not sure about that. If it's still with Lionsgate (as it's been with LG since VHS), then I doubt they would've released it. LG doesn't always give priority to their horror catalog--look no further than Chopping Mall, Slaughter High, Blood Diner, Waxwork, Leprechaun, DeepStar Six, The Unholy, Bride of Re-Animator, Warlock, etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Banned

Sep 2012

It has nothing to do with Lionsgate though. If you've seen the 1080i HD broadcast, look no further than at the very end of the credits. You'll clearly see that Paramount Pictures is responsible for its broadcast release
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Lionsgate though. If you've seen the 1080i HD broadcast, look no further than at the very end of the credits. You'll clearly see that Paramount Pictures is responsible for its broadcast release
TV rights and dvd/blu-ray rights could be totally different studios.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Banned

Sep 2012

Well the only release of the movie in its proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio is credited to Paramount. They were the company responsible for its proper release, and no other company has stepped up to the plate to further release it in any other kind of a format
Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Well the only release of the movie in its proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio is credited to Paramount. They were the company responsible for its proper release, and no other company has stepped up to the plate to further release it in any other kind of a format
Yeah, like I said--tv rights could very well be with Paramount. It was released theatrically by Vista, and on VHS by IVE (now Lionsgate) and then later on dvd by Artisan (now Lionsgate). It seems reasonable to assume that LG still holds the rights, and they're not interested in releasing it on BD.

The 1080i bootleg exists, and it's in the proper AR. But that has nothing to do with legit dvd/blu-ray rights, so that's that.

Last edited by Seymour; 09-19-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
fright night part ii