COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Final Terror (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Default The Iron Petticoat (1956) - Bob Hope, Kate Hepburn - TCM Vault Nov. 20th = PRE-ORDER

The Turner Classic Movies Vault Collection presents The Iron Petticoat in a Two-Disc Blu-Ray / DVD Combo Edition.

Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn - two of Hollywood’s biggest stars – appear together for the first and only time in one of the most unlikely pairings in the history of movies. A charming Cold War romance and political satire in the tradition of Ninotchka, this comic battle of the sexes pits a defecting Soviet jet pilot (Hepburn) against a U.S. army captain (Hope) who is charged with turning a diehard communist into a patriotic capitalist.

The Iron Petticoat has not been seen since 1966 and has been completely restored and remastered for this Blu-ray/DVD release.

PRE-ORDER: http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=380...f98c094174878d

Last edited by bluskies; 09-26-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Just thought I would give this a quick bump because I posted this early today, and by the time most people got home tonight it was already on page 3 and they would not have seen it.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
Just thought I would give this a quick bump because I posted this early today, and by the time most people got home tonight it was already on page 3 and they would not have seen it.
Great news, but I know some of the TCM Vault releases are DVD-Rs and not pressed DVDs, so I am hoping that at least the BD is a proper pressed disc.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

Is there a preorder available for this one? Very interested! I hope they have Russian subtitles as my mother in law who comes to visit every once in a while (she does not speak english) might find it hilarious...
My trading thread...
Includes Criterion / Disney / Coupons / Regular Blu's / DVD's etc... http://forum.blu-ray.com/trading-for...ml#post4492250
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
Is there a preorder available for this one? Very interested! I hope they have Russian subtitles as my mother in law who comes to visit every once in a while (she does not speak english) might find it hilarious...
I've added it to the top.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Nice to see TCM is going start giving us bluray releases as well. and at 24.99 thats definately a decent price for a very obscure catalog title that might not other wise see the light of day.
WJWS AMITY The Station that plays the Hits!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

is this a burned blu-ray or a manufactured disk (normal)? I have never bought one these TCM Vault offerings before and I am curious before ordering...
My trading thread...
Includes Criterion / Disney / Coupons / Regular Blu's / DVD's etc... http://forum.blu-ray.com/trading-for...ml#post4492250
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

Well I just ordered this one
I do hope it is restored properly and has subtitles!

with a....
sale price ($25.00)
10% discount (-$2.50)
shipping ($5.00)
and Tax ($1.50)
It was a little over $29 shipped. One of the more expensive stand alone releases I have purchased so I hope it is worth it!
My trading thread...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Is this the first BLuray from TCM?
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Omg i love it!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Is this the first BLuray from TCM?
I think so.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #12

Sep 2009

Wow! This announcement is easily the most perplexing development in Blu-ray history. While I am a big Bob Hope fan, and thrilled to FINALLY see a Blu-ray release of one of his films, I find the means and method here to be nothing short of incredulous. Here's why - Bob Hope was Paramount's number one star in the 1940s, keeping that studio afloat while being EXPENSIVELY lent out to other studios (Goldwyn for example) for additional one or two shot films. Hope's classic fare such as the fabulous "Road" pictures with Bing Crosby and a slew of costume comedy romps are pure magic. Hope's Paramount titles saw extensive DVD release through Universal with an entire line titled "Bob Hope - The Tribute Collection." Seems at the time both Paramount and Universal recognized and appreciated Hope's talent and appeal, and lovingly restored and transferred every one of the over 17 titles in the collection. Flash forward to today. Paramount and Universal celebrating big anniversaries, lavishly recognizing the contributions of their major stars, and Bob Hope nowhere to be seen. Now TCM shows up offering Hope's most obscure film in an on-demand Blu-ray format. What is this about? Where are Paramount and Universal? Where are the "Road" pictures? "The Paleface?" "The Princess and the Pirate?" "Fancy Pants?" I will support TCM's effort, hope it is well done, and leads to additional releases, especially by the major studios. In the meantime I can but shake my head and HOPE for the best!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Looks like something that I need to get .
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

I noticed you stated that it was an "on demand blu-ray format".

So this will be a burned blu-ray release?

If that is the case I may back out of my preorder... I only want pressed blu-ray's in my collection. I have had multiple DVD-R's that I bought from Discovery Channel that have gone bad and I don't want that same experience with this movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad75 View Post
Wow! This announcement is easily the most perplexing development in Blu-ray history. While I am a big Bob Hope fan, and thrilled to FINALLY see a Blu-ray release of one of his films, I find the means and method here to be nothing short of incredulous. Here's why - Bob Hope was Paramount's number one star in the 1940s, keeping that studio afloat while being EXPENSIVELY lent out to other studios (Goldwyn for example) for additional one or two shot films. Hope's classic fare such as the fabulous "Road" pictures with Bing Crosby and a slew of costume comedy romps are pure magic. Hope's Paramount titles saw extensive DVD release through Universal with an entire line titled "Bob Hope - The Tribute Collection." Seems at the time both Paramount and Universal recognized and appreciated Hope's talent and appeal, and lovingly restored and transferred every one of the over 17 titles in the collection. Flash forward to today. Paramount and Universal celebrating big anniversaries, lavishly recognizing the contributions of their major stars, and Bob Hope nowhere to be seen. Now TCM shows up offering Hope's most obscure film in an on-demand Blu-ray format. What is this about? Where are Paramount and Universal? Where are the "Road" pictures? "The Paleface?" "The Princess and the Pirate?" "Fancy Pants?" I will support TCM's effort, hope it is well done, and leads to additional releases, especially by the major studios. In the meantime I can but shake my head and HOPE for the best!
My trading thread...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad75 View Post
while not on blu-ray, did you know that 4 Bob Hope classics were released on that "other" hd format--HD DVD?
Road To Rio/Road To Bali was one release.
My Favorite Brunette/Son of Paleface was the other.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...qL._AA160_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...lL._AA160_.jpg

btw: I do not think this will be a bd-r; it should be normal pressed blu-ray imo.
the other TCM exclusive dvd sets from Sony, Universal, etc. have been normal pressed dvds, as I have a number of titles, and they are marked with the boxed TCM on the front artwork.
(now tcm does sell some mod titles from Warner Archive, but those listings let you know by including "format dvd (mod)" in the tech specs, and those MOD products do not include the boxed "TCM" label on the front artwork.

Last edited by Arkadin; 10-08-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

Is this a title that will get an advance copy review on blu-ray.com?
My trading thread...
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #17

Jun 2008

Generally regarded as a career-low for both stars. A notorious bomb.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Special Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald.brown View Post
Generally regarded as a career-low for both stars. A notorious bomb.
Or, over half a century later, perhaps merely a curious misfire and interesting socio-political document of its era. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing it for the first time in a format that will approximate what audiences of its era saw (and I'm also hoping it's pressed rather than a BD-R, although I'd buy a heckuva lot more of Warners' MOD titles if they were HD BD-Rs instead of DVD-Rs, even though many of the DVD-Rs actually look darn good for SD).
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
Well I just ordered this one
I do hope it is restored properly and has subtitles!

with a....
sale price ($25.00)
10% discount (-$2.50)
shipping ($5.00)
and Tax ($1.50)
It was a little over $29 shipped. One of the more expensive stand alone releases I have purchased so I hope it is worth it!
how did you get 10% off?
BD PLAYER (REGION A) : Panasonic DMP-BD85K
BD PLAYER (REGION FREE) : Insignia NS-BRDVD4
HDTV : Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TC-P50S2

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 4-JUNE-2014 **
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

just got an email that it has been shipped! Any reviews from around the web? (I did a search but did not find any yet...)
My trading thread...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America