COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Battleship (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Ginger Snaps (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Miami, FL
USA Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg film) - January 1st, 2013

Cosmopolis Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

Entertainment One Home Entertainment brings the latest D. Cronenberg film staring Robert Pattinson early January.

"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-01-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #2

Feb 2009
Green River

Does Robert Pattinson really deserve a last name only billing above Cronenberg
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vriess View Post
Think of it like:

Cruise
Kidman
Kubrick

for Eyes Wide Shut.

Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to this. Love Cronenberg no matter who he works with.
Equipment:
RCA 39" LED 39B45RQ 1080P
PS3 80 GB
SONY 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM STR-K660P
DIGIX BLU-RAY PLAYER BD-500
Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vriess View Post
More people would recognize the name Pattinson than Cronenberg sadly.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
More people would recognize the name Pattinson than Cronenberg sadly.
Who is this Cosmopolis guy though?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

I think he's greek
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #7

Aug 2010
Delaware

Looking forward to catching this on Blu. I'll see anything by Cronenberg, although his previous 2 movies were a little underwhelming to me.

When I see Cosmopolis, I believe it will be the first time I actually watch a Robert Pattinson movie.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

I think Pattinson got first place for aesthetic reasons. Take another look at the way the words sit. It wouldn't look as neat with Pattinson in the middle.
Anyway, I have a question... Does anyone know whether the special features will be identical to the UK releases? My girlfriend loves Robert Pattinson (hates the Twilight saga, so don't even go there lol) and I'd like to order this for her. Only the UK release has been reviewed though since it is released sooner but it's also really expensive still (over $24!). The US release's cover also looks much nicer. Both releases are by the same company (entertainmentone) so is it safe to assume they'll be the same transfer and special features? or should I wait it out?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

For me, this is one of the year's best films, second to Holy Motors, and one of the best Blu-ray releases. It has a guaranteed spot on my top 10 list

To answer your question, I think it is fair to assume that the transfer would be identical, and probably all of the supplemental features would end on the U.S. release as well.

Pro-B
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #10

Jan 2012
Send a message via AIM to Ctzalman Send a message via Skype™ to Ctzalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
For me, this is one of the year's best
Wow, I thought this was one of the worst films that I'd seen in 2012. I am a big cronenberg fan, but I found cosmopolis to be hugely disappointing. I think I've only walked out of the theater on one movie (and that was a $1.50 screening of school of rock), but I was very close to getting out of my seat and driving home (and about half of the audience in the theater did in fact do that). No cohesiveness to the plot and characters that were devoid of any redeeming qualities. Maybe this was a case where my expectations got the better of me; although I knew nothing of the background behind the film, perhaps I was just expecting something else... And perhaps a second viewing is warranted... But I just don't think I could force myself to sit through that film again.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctzalman View Post
Wow, I thought this was one of the worst films that I'd seen in 2012.
It just goes to show that we are all different We obviously look for different things in films.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctzalman View Post
Wow, I thought this was one of the worst films that I'd seen in 2012. I am a big cronenberg fan, but I found cosmopolis to be hugely disappointing. I think I've only walked out of the theater on one movie (and that was a $1.50 screening of school of rock), but I was very close to getting out of my seat and driving home (and about half of the audience in the theater did in fact do that). No cohesiveness to the plot and characters that were devoid of any redeeming qualities. Maybe this was a case where my expectations got the better of me; although I knew nothing of the background behind the film, perhaps I was just expecting something else... And perhaps a second viewing is warranted... But I just don't think I could force myself to sit through that film again.
From what I understand, the plot and it's cohesiveness (or lack there of) doesn't really matter. It's all about presenting us with idea's, thoughts, things Pattinson is pondering while taking a bizarre journey in his limo. I haven't seen it so I wouldn't even know if that's what one should expect but I do know to expect nothing like Cronenberg's other films and to expect it to be very "wordy" and philosophical (which many feel is just prententiousness). I think my girlfriend and I will appreciate it. Although the fact that I keep hearing horror stories about peoples experiences when viewing this movie and the apparent mass walk-out's isn't exactly reassuring.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Feb 2012

IMHO the UK version has a nicer cover and mine came with a slipcase.

Quote:
For me, this is one of the year's best films, second to Holy Motors, and one of the best Blu-ray releases. It has a guaranteed spot on my top 10 list
Where will you be posting your list?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2011

This film is the biggest disappointment of the year for me. The plot is dense as noted elsewhere, but it is not compelling or engaging at all. Much of this wrests on Robert Pattinson, who just at this time carries no dramatic weight and sucks the life out of every scene he's in; that is, every scene in the film. It doesn't help that the film just plods along, and even if one may not know the ins-and-outs of the particulars in dialogue the script frequently telegraphs itself and nothing surprising really happens. This bodes triply true for the interminable ending, which anyone can see coming miles (twenty minutes) away.

It is at times very nice to look at - I do agree with the review that the digital photography is excellent, up there with Drive and Fincher's films for some of the best I've seen in the past few years - and I was drawn at times to the atmosphere Cronenberg sets. But this film is ABSOLUTELY not a blind-buy candidate.

Last edited by Cinemach; 12-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #15

Nov 2009
Buffalo, NY

Cronenberg has always been very hit or miss for me with way more misses than hits. I'll probably pass on this.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:

To answer your question, I think it is fair to assume that the transfer would be identical, and probably all of the supplemental features would end on the U.S. release as well.

Pro-B
Ohmigawd...something we agree on Pro-B. It's syzygy.

P.S. Anyone have some specs on the Canadian edition? Often the native market releases of Cronenberg (and Egoyan) titles have features not available elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Where will you be posting your list?
Hi Lutz,

Very soon, all of the Blu-ray.com reviewers will have their Top 10 lists on the main page
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital bits
Entertainment One has just set David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis for release on Blu-ray and DVD on 1/1/2013 (SRP $29.98 and $24.98). Both will include the Citizens of Cosmopolis featurette, audio commentary with Cronenberg and video interviews with the cast and crew.
Looks to be a better package than the UK disc. Glad to have waited.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Looks to be a better package than the UK disc. Glad to have waited.
Woo-hoo! Cronenberg does superb commentaries - my favourite practictioner of that feature other than Carpenter.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemach View Post
This film is the biggest disappointment of the year for me. The plot is dense as noted elsewhere, but it is not compelling or engaging at all. Much of this wrests on Robert Pattinson, who just at this time carries no dramatic weight and sucks the life out of every scene he's in; that is, every scene in the film. It doesn't help that the film just plods along, and even if one may not know the ins-and-outs of the particulars in dialogue the script frequently telegraphs itself and nothing surprising really happens. This bodes triply true for the interminable ending, which anyone can see coming miles (twenty minutes) away.

It is at times very nice to look at - I do agree with the review that the digital photography is excellent, up there with Drive and Fincher's films for some of the best I've seen in the past few years - and I was drawn at times to the atmosphere Cronenberg sets. But this film is ABSOLUTELY not a blind-buy candidate.
Me too . I dont know exactly what I was hoping for but I really wanted this to be good and it really isnt - for me.

For those who havent seen it yet, watch out for Paul Giamatti's Great Cornholio impression near the end of the film. This made me smirk quite a bit which I dont think was intended!

Before watching I was very excited about this - the same way I was with Drive. Drive turned out to be even better than I hoped...unlike Cosmopolis.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America