COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Europe
USA Crime Story / The Protector (Jackie Chan) Double Feature - January 15,2013 Pre-order

Last edited by Akijama; 01-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post

Well, I know Dragon Dynasty pretty much gave up on their Fortune Star catalog so it doesn't surprise me that another company would pick it up (like Well Go did with Flash Point, even though that wasn't an FS master... but still originally Dragon Dynasty), but I'm very confused about The Protector. I thought Warner Brothers still had the rights, unless they went "F*** it, let someone else have it"? I know WB basically did that with The Big Brawl/Battle Creek Brawl, which is why Fox ended up releasing that title in the US via Fortune Star as opposed to WB.

Also, that cover looks very preliminary... the titles of the films aren't even on there!

EDIT:

Well, here's the DVD version of the cover... at least we can see the titles!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Which version of the Protector?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Which version of the Protector?
The one with....Jackie Chan.Isn't it obvious?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
The one with....Jackie Chan.Isn't it obvious?
He probably meant "Which version... the US cut or the Hong Kong cut?" Since this is from Shout Factory, who seems to have decent extras on their releases, I would like to see the HK cut make an appearance, at least as an extra.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
He probably meant "Which version... the US cut or the Hong Kong cut?" Since this is from Shout Factory, who seems to have decent extras on their releases, I would like to see the HK cut make an appearance, at least as an extra.
A-ha! Thx for clarification!I must admit,i'm not familiar with that movie.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Ive got them both on blu already but if its cheap, I might take another dip at these.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
A-ha! Thx for clarification!I must admit,i'm not familiar with that movie.
Fans of the film know there was a huge hubbub between Jackie Chan and director James Glickenhaus. JC wasn't happy with the finished product, so he ended up shooting new scenes for a subplot for the film, as well as reshooting the final fight between himself and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. The final fight in the HK cut is *much* better than the one in the US cut!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I'm down for this Blu-ray.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
I've got them both on blu already but if it's cheap, I might take another dip at these.
Not sure if I'll bite or not. I've already got the Dragon Dynasty DVD of Crime Story, and The Protector is... well... The Protector If these are legit HD transfers, I'll definitely go for it. I do wonder if Warner Brothers mastered The Protector in HD when they prepped the DVD ten years ago.

Then again, these could both be Fortune Star masters, meaning 99% chance of upconversion. Not only that, but Fortune Star's transfer of the US cut of The Protector is inferior to Warner Brothers'. Washed out colors and edge enhancement... blech.

However, overall, I'm very curious to see what Shout Factory pulls off. Maybe they can also finally release Dragons Forever and Wheels on Meals since BCI was originally supposed to do so before they went under.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #11

Nov 2009

Lets hope Crime Story isn't the cut and dubbed Miramax version.
The HK cut of The Protector is far superior, at least as far as the action goes, hope its on there even as an extra.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I hope this is a good transfer! Jackie isn't getting good treatment on Blu-ray...
Expendables 3 August 15th 2014
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2009
Anaheim, CA

Neither of these are among Jackie's best. But I may still pick it up.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Power Member

Oct 2008

They've also listed The Seven-Per-Cent Solution a week later.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:My Darling Clementine (Thanks Criterion!), Out of the Past (Thanks Warner Archives!), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
Ive got them both on blu already but if its cheap, I might take another dip at these.
Do you have a photo of your asian movie collection? You seem to always get the stuff I'm thinking about
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
Do you have a photo of your asian movie collection? You seem to always get the stuff I'm thinking about
No photo but maybe I'll post one just for u if I can find my camera. To date, Ive bought every single Jackie Chan catalog blu-ray release from HK and I gotta say that of all the films in my ever ballooning collection, Jackie's films are the most rewatchable. I watch one every other week it seems. We need more Jackie blu-rays in the US!!! (and UK and Australia)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
Power Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
I'm very confused about The Protector. I thought Warner Brothers still had the rights, unless they went "F*** it, let someone else have it"?
Warner has let licensed titles lapse without renewals for a few years now. That's how the Caidin Trust titles ended up with Criterion (Stagecoach, Foreign Correspondent, etc.), for example.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #19

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

I hope for the HK version protector as I already own the US Version on Blu-ray the Jap Release.

The Protector Blu-ray
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Warner has let licensed titles lapse without renewals for a few years now. That's how the Caidin Trust titles ended up with Criterion (Stagecoach, Foreign Correspondent, etc.), for example.
Huh, odd. Well, I'm hoping that Shout Factory will give both films proper HD transfers, and not just use Fortune Star's upconverts. As I mentioned above, even if Fortune Star had a proper HD transfer of The Protector, it would look kinda worn/washed out compared to the Warner Brothers master, if their SD transfer is anything to go by. I know the Hong Kong Legends DVD used the English language Fortune Star master and it was just... meh. Why Fortune Star never bothered to remaster the Hong Kong cut is beyond me.

Of course, once we get a scan of the back cover, we'll know for sure if it's from Fortune Star or not, as it seems like their logo *has* to be somewhere on the cover anytime their transfer is used for a film. And if we see the logo... well... then it's just a matter of waiting it out to see if they're new HD transfers, or the usual upconverts.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America