COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
It's a Disaster (Blu-ray)
$18.52
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City
Default MoviePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.slashfilm.com/moviepass-tries-again-with-new-movie-ticket-subscription-service-model/
The concept behind MoviePass was and still is a good one: pay a monthly fee, in exchange for which you get admission to one film per day. The concept is appealing from a consumer standpoint, but getting theater chains to play along proved to be difficult, and the MoviePass service has gone through a couple iterations over the past few years that saw struggling and failed partnerships with exhibitors.

Now MoviePass is relaunching, with the same basic concept, but a different means of bringing it to fruition. The new system still features a monthly subscriber fee ($24.99 – $39.99, depending on location), but now users get a proprietary card and a smartphone app. The app is iOS only for now; Android is forthcoming. The card acts like a prepaid credit card, which means it can be used to purchase a ticket at any theater. The concept is that users use the app to check in at a theater, and purchase their ticket with the MoviePass card. Will the system work this time?

The big problem with the previous version of MoviePass was getting exhibitors to play along. But now theaters get full price for the ticket “purchased” by MoviePass users. So the idea seems to be that the economics of the system rely on more subscribers than will actually use the pass on a regular basis. You’re buying movie insurance, in a manner of speaking. And, obviously, this system is based on the company’s ability to attract and jeep subscribers. IMAX and 3D showings (which feature higher ticket prices) aren’t yet supported, but the basic card + app system is ingenious, and could catch on.

The system is currently invite only, but MoviePass plans a big end of year push to go along with the holiday season. Here’s a small infographic and video showing the basics of the system:

http://vimeo.com/50560470
https://www.moviepass.com/splashes

I think this is an awesome idea. It's like Netflix, but in theaters. You pay a monthly fee, and you can go to unlimited movies (it's actually only each movie once, and only one movie per day). But if you see only 3-4 movies a month, it pays for itself. You get a credit card and you use that as your payment at the theater. I'm definitely going to be signing up for this when it becomes available.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
willardC

It is my understanding that MoviePass is dealing with the online ticketing services, not specific theatres or circuits. Therefore, I would have to assume that the theatre gets paid the full price they negotiated with the ticketing service, and MoviePass will make it's profit on those customers who utilize the service for less than $50 dollars a month worth of movies. Of course, this will be offset by people attending more than $50's a month worth of movies.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardC View Post
It is my understanding that MoviePass is dealing with the online ticketing services, not specific theatres or circuits. Therefore, I would have to assume that the theatre gets paid the full price they negotiated with the ticketing service, and MoviePass will make it's profit on those customers who utilize the service for less than $50 dollars a month worth of movies. Of course, this will be offset by people attending more than $50's a month worth of movies.
Yes, exactly. When they first launched, you could only go to certain theaters that they had an agreement with. But with this new plan, it uses as a debit card, so theaters don't need to have any involvement.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I just got my invite and signed up for $25 a month. I am going to sign my wife up also when her email gets the invite. I think this is a fantastic deal and can't wait to really utilize it. I think i will pretty much go see anything and everything that i have even the smallest interest in( gas is not issue because i live just over a mile from my local Cinemark).
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I just got my invite and signed up for $25 a month. I am going to sign my wife up also when her email gets the invite. I think this is a fantastic deal and can't wait to really utilize it. I think i will pretty much go see anything and everything that i have even the smallest interest in( gas is not issue because i live just over a mile from my local Cinemark).
Yeah, I just got an invite yesterday. Mine is $30 a month, but still a great deal and I can't wait to use it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ801 View Post
Yeah, I just got an invite yesterday. Mine is $30 a month, but still a great deal and I can't wait to use it.
Yeah the 2 to 5 days wait for the card will seem long lol. I plan to use it right away to see Taken 2 again.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Got a similar deal here in the Netherlands for 26 a month, but for unlimited viewings, rather than one per day.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2009

If anyone needs an invite, let me know. firethebomb@gmail.com
Projection Room Setup:
Speakers: Polk FXi A6 / Polk CSi A6 / Polk RTi A3 / Polk RTi A9
Power Conditioner : APC H15
Amps: Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-7
Pre-Amp: Emotiva USP-1
Remote: Logitech Harmoney 1100 w/PS3 Adaptor
CD Player: Emotiva ERC-2
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Royalties-strapped theaters AREN'T going to play along; the plan should have aligned themselves with Fandango that would print the tickets before you walk in the theater, or a single chain that would drum up its own business.
(Which would unfortunately likely be AMC, but I can see Cinemark putting a classy spin on the idea.)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Royalties-strapped theaters AREN'T going to play along; the plan should have aligned themselves with Fandango that would print the tickets before you walk in the theater, or a single chain that would drum up its own business.
(Which would unfortunately likely be AMC, but I can see Cinemark putting a classy spin on the idea.)
As it is set up by Movie pass theaters no longer have to support Movie pass its the other way around. All you do is show up to the Theater no earlier then 30 mins of the showtime you want to see click the showtime in the app as a check in and Movie pass unlocks money on a debit card they provide. The theaters won't know the difference between a Moviepass customer and a regular debit card paying customer.

I don't see their current business model keeping them afloat too long really. Moviepass eats the full price of every movie you go to over the subscription. The only way I read they make money is they claim the people who have the pass and under use the pass balance out with the over users. Nevertheless I will stay on and enjoy the ride as long as I can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

eh, I would jump on if it was like the blockbuster unlimited type pass. Unlimited movies during the month. weak sauce. why the hell the "one limit per day" and "once per movie . If I'm gonna pay for a service like that I expect that I could go 7 days a week from start to close without limit (not saying I would lol, just that I don't want crappy limitations like that)

Last edited by wormraper; 10-11-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
eh, I would jump on if it was like the blockbuster unlimited type pass. Unlimited movies during the month. weak sauce. why the hell the "one limit per day" and "once per movie . If I'm gonna pay for a service like that I expect that I could go 7 days a week from start to close without limit (not saying I would lol, just that I don't want crappy limitations like that)
I was disappointed with the also, but they may change it in the future. At least there is only so many movies you can see in the theaters that even at one a day I can still see every movie whereas unlimited movies with Netflix you have thousands of choices.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I was disappointed with the also, but they may change it in the future. At least there is only so many movies you can see in the theaters that even at one a day I can still see every movie whereas unlimited movies with Netflix you have thousands of choices.

true, they may change it. but I live 15 minutes away from the theaters so I'd have to visit EVERY day. instead of doing what I'd do. go in one day a week and binge 3 at a time. not only that I like to revist movie I like in the theater. hell I saw avengers 5 times. + I have $5 tickets at my theaters by me Mon-Thursday before 6 pm (after 6pm it's $7.50) and I have no compunction on waisting money by going on a weekend so I'd have to watch 6+ movies just to break even on my membership.

I wish it was like the original theory years ago where each theater "chain" would sell a card that you could swipe when you walked in the door and it acted as an unlimited multipass type of situation.

Last edited by wormraper; 10-11-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Is there any way to get this without a snazzy smartphone ap? All I have is a cheapie pay-as-you-go phone. I would pay a flat $25 a month to see unlimited movies. I'd even sit through the crappy ones.
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!

Selling 3D disc for The Wolverine for $10 shipped or trade, PM with offers.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #15
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
There's no way they could ever make money if they didn't have those rules. People would just lend their cards to their friends to use over and over.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
There's no way they could ever make money if they didn't have those rules. People would just lend their cards to their friends to use over and over.
they were going with photo ID on them. Europe has had them for YEARS. Also don't forget studios make JACK on tickets. their source of income is Concessions. the longer you stay the more concessions you'll wanna get. that's what the marketing research of these places like "moviepass" came to the conclusion and why they do them in Europe.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #17
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
they were going with photo ID on them. Europe has had them for YEARS. Also don't forget studios make JACK on tickets. their source of income is Concessions. the longer you stay the more concessions you'll wanna get. that's what the marketing research of these places like "moviepass" came to the conclusion and why they do them in Europe.
Yeah, but MoviePass is the one paying for the tickets, not the theaters. So concessions don't affect MP. Plus there's no way to ID people when the theaters have no affiliation with MP, it's simply a credit card transaction.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Yeah, but MoviePass is the one paying for the tickets, not the theaters. So concessions don't affect MP. Plus there's no way to ID people when the theaters have no affiliation with MP, it's simply a credit card transaction.
ahh, sorry I thought you were talking about my next post. the one about the theater chains doing their own version of this that got scrapped 4 or 5 years ago. they were gonna do the the unlimited passes and issue photo ID scan cards that you would scan at the podium to allow access.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #19
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
ahh, sorry I thought you were talking about my next post. the one about the theater chains doing their own version of this that got scrapped 4 or 5 years ago. they were gonna do the the unlimited passes and issue photo ID scan cards that you would scan at the podium to allow access.
Ohhh okay. Yeah that would have been cool too haha.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Special Member

Apr 2007
Lexington, Kentucky

Do you get quoted a lower monthly fee if you get an invite from someone?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies