Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.78
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Southern California
Default Panasonic PT-AE8000U 2D/3D Projector

Some of you may already know that I recently bought a Benq W7000 Projector. This DLP projector is an outstanding performer in both 2D and 3D. Because it is a very bright projector, its 3D performance is better than projectors that cost several times more. Also, DLP projectors can use 3D glasses from any manufacturers and do not require IR link. I used the projector for a few days and was very happy with it. At the time I had no 3D movies. I decided to order Hugo in 3D from Amazon.

I tried very hard to play the movie, but I did not succeed. A message would appear on the screen that I needed a compatible player and TV to play 3D movies. The first thing I suspected was the long HDMI cable. I assumed that it was not high speed and could not carry 3D signals. After switching cables for a few times, I still did not succeed. While I was getting ready to get a hammer and smash the projector , I accidentally inserted one of the cables into HDMI Input #2. Like magic, the 3D picture appeared. After cleaning up and adjusting the projector again, I sat down and watched the 3D movie. I was very impressed with the performance of the projector and happier with its results than the 3D movies I had seen in the commercial theaters.

Quite by chance, I realized that the projector’s HDMI Input #1 is defective and that left a bad taste in my mouth. There were a few other minor irritations about the projector that I did not like, but they were not significant. To make a long story short, I decided to return the projector back to Amazon and get a replacement. While I was doing the packing and installing my old reliable Epson 1080UB back to where it had been for several years, I decided to surf the internet and get more information about projectors. To my surprise, I found out that the new Panasonic PT-AE8000 is already available and sold by several online dealers. I also read the review by Projector Central and was very impressed. Being a crazy and uncontrollable HT addict, I immediately asked Amazon to give me a refund and ordered the new Panasonic PT-AE8000 from Projector People for $2999 plus free shipping. If you order the projector before the end of the year, you will get two free 3D glasses from Panasonic. All the links are in Post #2.

Incidentally, PT-AE8000U model number is for the U.S. and other market areas outside of Europe and the PT-AT6000E model number is for the European markets.

Quote:
Description

The PT-AE8000U Full HD 3D Home Theater Projector from Panasonic offers 2400 lumens of brightness with a 500,000:1 contrast ratio. It comes equipped with a 220W red-rich lamp for increased red intensity, which enables the projector to produce bright images as well as remarkable color reproduction. The PT-AE8000U generates deeper blacks by incorporating Panasonic's Pure Contrast Plates, which match the LCD panel characteristics, virtually eliminating light leakage.

The PT-AE8000U delivers a 1080p video experience that ultimately provides excellent picture quality in 2D, as well as advanced 3D features that delivers a natural and comfortable movie theater experience at home.

The PT-AE8000U is also equipped with three HDMI input terminals, which support DeepColor and x.v. Color, and two 12V triggers for home theater automation, such as lighting and a motorized screen.

High 2400 Lumens of Brightness with the Advanced Red-Rich Lamp
The 220W red-rich lamp increases the luminous efficiency of the projector to achieve brighter images, even in 3D viewing, with excellent color purity. Able to produce a stunning brightness of 2400 lumens, the PT-AE8000 unleashes the beauty of 2D/3D full-HD expression for viewing on various screen sizes. Cooling efficiency for example around the polarization filters has been increased to realize the higher lumens. Color purity is further increased by applying a special coating to the red and green condenser lenses in order to trim the impurities from the light after it is separated into the three primary colors.

Full-HD Optimized Optical System
To assure maximum clarity and sharpness in full-HD images, this advanced optical system employs a full-HD-optimized lens unit comprising of 16 lens elements in 12 groups, including two large-diameter aspherical lenses and two high-performance ED (extra-low dispersion) lenses. Each lens is carefully aligned to assure a uniform focusing balance from the center to the edges of the screen. As a result, the PT-AE8000 produces stunningly clear and beautiful images.

3D Motion Remaster Delivers Correct, Natural 3D Movement
This technology solves the problem caused by a phenomenon called the Mach-Dvorak effect, which occurs in many systems during 3D viewing. The active shutter 3D system displays left-eye and right-eye images alternately. This means that left-eye and right-eye images that were captured at the same instant are shown with a time lag. During this time lag, especially when watching a scene in which an object moves quickly and horizontally across the screen, the viewer's brain automatically speculates and forms an image at a position that differs from the actual shown image. This results in incorrect depth perception and makes the horizontal movement appear unnatural. 3D Motion Remaster technology achieves smoothly moving 3D images by creating properly positioned images to compensate for the time lag.

Up to 480 Hz Compatible LCD Panels
The PT-AE8000's full-HD LCD panels provide bright images with high aperture ratio. The panels are also designed for 480 Hz processing capability for bright 3D images. These high-precision panels use vertically aligned liquid crystal molecules with inorganic alignment layers. When no voltage is applied, the molecules are aligned perpendicular to the glass substrate, so there is minimal light leakage, providing higher contrast.

2x Optical Power Zoom / Focus and Wide Lens Shift Range
A 2x optical power zoom / focus lens and a lens shift function together make it possible to project a 120-inch picture from as close as 11.8' (3.6 m) to the screen or as far as 23.6' (7.2 m) away. In addition, the image can be shifted ±100% vertically, and ±26% horizontally. This gives you outstanding setup flexibility. If you choose to ceiling mount the projector, you can zoom and focus by remote control.

Pure Contrast Plates Deliver High 500,000:1 Contrast Ratio
The pure contrast plates in the PT-AE8000 use a high-precision crystalline material that is carefully matched to the characteristics of the LCD panels to effectively correct the passage of light exiting the panels. This enables the projector to block unwanted light leakage and successfully increases the dynamic range. It works together with the Pure Color Filter Pro and Dynamic Iris Pro to achieve an astounding contrast ratio of 500,000:1.

Pure Color Filter Pro for Rich, Vibrant Colors
The optical filter optimizes the light spectrum from the UHM projector lamp, helping to produce deeper blacks while improving purity levels in the three primary colors (red, green and blue). This advanced filter system improves color purity to cover a range that extends from the HDTV standard (Rec. 709 mode) to the color gamut used in digital cinema. This gives images the deep, rich coloring that distinguishes movie images.

Dynamic Iris Pro Adds Beauty to Both Dark and Bright Scenes
This intelligent iris system works by analyzing the brightness level of each image using a histogram, then adjusting the lamp power, iris and gamma curve accordingly to create the ideal image. The adjustments are made virtually frame by frame. This helps the projector achieve a wide dynamic range with swift smoothness for added beauty in both dark and bright scenes.

Smooth Screen Technology Creates Film-Like Texture
While many LCD projectors suffer from a chicken wire effect, Panasonic's pursuit of the highest possible image quality has successfully overcome this device limitation through the incorporation of smooth screen technology. This uses the double refraction property of crystals to arrange pixels on a screen with no gaps between them.

Dual Core Processing Engine
High-quality 2D image processing, including Frame Creation and Detail Clarity Processor, can be enjoyed in 3D as well, with the incorporation of the high-performance dual core processing engine.

Frame Creation 2 for Motion Blur Reduction in 3D/2D Viewing
A double-speed frame interpolation display for both 2D and 3D viewing, even during 2D-3D conversion, greatly improves the clarity of motion images, reproducing sharp and clear images for fast moving scenes in sports and action movies. For 24p signal input, four frames are calculated and interpolated for each existing frame, to enable 5x speed (120 Hz) display.

Detail Clarity Processor 4 Gives Natural Clarity to Even the Finest Details
This digital image processing circuit brings greater clarity and sharpness to details embedded in the image. After analyzing the video signal frequency in each scene, the circuit optimizes the sharpness of each part of the image based on the extracted information. The resulting images, 3D or 2D, have more natural, lifelike expression than those of previous image-processing methods.

Lens Memory for 2D/3D Viewing
Up to six settings, in 2D or 3D viewing, can be stored in the lens memory, including zoom and focus positions for projecting in the normal 16:9 or 4:3 image ratio, and wide cinema projection settings. These memories can be recalled manually for 2D or 3D, or can be set for automatic switching in 2D. The projector is able to detect 2.35:1 and 16:9 sources and retrieve the stored setting automatically. The lens memory function lets you easily enjoy images with different image ratios on a wide 2.35:1 screen for an immersive theater-like experience.

2D-3D Conversion
2D to 3D image conversion is possible, with five 3D effect modes to select from.

Seven Picture Modes
For each 2D and 3D viewing, seven different picture modes (normal, dynamic, Rec. 709, D-cinema, cinema 1, cinema 2 and game mode for reduced frame delay) are provided.

Advanced 3D Adjustment Functions
A variety of 3D viewing adjustments also provide a more comfortable viewing experience at home. These include 3D lens memory, 3D zoom and focus, 3D color management, and 3D keystone correction.

3D Viewing Monitor for Adjustment of Depth-of-Field
The projection size for viewing 3D images can be selected from among 9 different sizes, ranging from 40 inches to 200 inches diagonally. The amount of parallax is optimized according to the projection size so comfortable, easy-to-view 3D images can be enjoyed at any size. Either of three monitor styles can be selected.

3D Picture Balance with Waveform Monitor
The projector is able to show the right and left image side by side to check if the two sides have the same colors. The difference may occur due to poor content quality. With the Waveform Monitor displayed, you can adjust the contrast, brightness, color and tint as desired, and up to three adjustment settings can be stored in memory for instant recall.

3D Viewing Monitor for Adjustment of Depth-of-Field
The PT-AE8000 uses frame sequential technology for 3D image projection. When viewing 3D content, signals from the PT-AE8000's built-in infrared transmitter precisely control the left and right shutters of the active 3D eyewear. The built-in transmitter offers maximum transmission distance of 20' (6.1 m)). For more range up to 33' (10 m), an optional infrared transmitter, ET-TRM110 is available for greater installation flexibility.

Waveform Monitor for Precise Calibration
With the PT-AE8000 you can view the waveforms on the screen and adjust the settings both automatically and manually as you prefer.

Advanced Gamma Adjustment Function
The gamma curve can be flexibly controlled, allowing precise calibration according to the signal source and environment. Brightness (Y), R, G and B can each be adjusted at any fifteen points. Adjustment point positions can be shifted both horizontally and vertically to bring out the desired gradation level. Adjustment is easy because the small menu screen does not block the image.

Split Adjust Mode for Easy Picture Adjustment
You can freeze any scene you wish, and then make adjustments while easily comparing the original image and the adjusted image side by side.

Cinema Color Management Premium Enables Flexible Color Control
This color correction system enables free color control in two different modes. The point color correction mode lets you pick a point in the image and adjust that color without affecting the neighboring colors. The six color correction mode enables independent adjustment of red, green, blue, cyan, magenta and yellow. Adjustment is possible for either 2D or 3D viewing.

Abundant Connection Terminals
The PT-AE8000 has three HDMI input terminals for digital transmission without image degradation. The HDMI input terminals also support Deep Color and the x.v.Color color space. Deep Color provides 10-bit (over 1.07 billion) and 12-bit (over 68.7 billion) color depths for smooth gradation between colors, while x.v.Color compliance reproduces natural, lifelike images.

12V Triggers
Two 12V triggers are provided. Since the input and output can be set independently (menu selectable), they can link flexibly with powered screens, room lights and powered curtains. Combined with the lens and memory, they let you create a truly classy home theater.

VIERA Link for Easy Operation
The PT-AE8000 supports VIERA Link. If your home theater system contains VIERA Link-ready equipment, projection can be started by using only the remote control unit of the PT-AE8000, regardless of whether the source is a Blu-ray disc or a TV program stored on an HD recorder. This eliminates the need for hassling with several remote controls.

Up to 5000-Hour Lamp Replacement Cycle and Simple Maintenance
Panasonic's proprietary lamp drive system helps maintain lamp performance, resulting in an up to 5000-hour lamp replacement cycle. For easy maintenance, you can replace the filter from the side and the lamp from the top of the projector. The dust filter and lamp are easily replaced even after the PT-AE8000 is installed on the ceiling.

Ecology Conscious Design
Panasonic works from every angle to minimize environmental impact in the product design, production and delivery processes, and in the performance of the product during its life cycle. The PT-AE8000 reflects the following ecological considerations:
  • No halogenated flame retardants are used in the cabinet
  • Lead-free glass for the lens
  • Standby power consumption of only 0.08W has been achieved
  • A sleep timer that reduces wasteful power consumption
  • RoHS compliant

Panasonic Website:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/pr...PT-AE8000U.asp
http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/p...features1.html

Specifications: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...U_SpecFile.pdf
Brochure: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...U_Brochure.pdf
Operating Instructions: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...structions.pdf
Precise Dimensions: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...E8000U_CAD.pdf

Panasonic Rebate (Two free 3D Glasses) Form (before 12/31/2012):
http://www.projectorpeople.com/SLIS/...ate_123112.pdf
http://www.visualapex.com/ProductSup...00U_promo2.pdf

Panasonic PT-AE8000U Reviews:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pana...tor_review.htm

Code:

Performance:   *****
Features:      ***** 
Ease of Use:   *****
Value:         *****
http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...8000/index.php

Code:

• A very bright "brightest" mode, - A light canon with over 2000 usable lumens, six hundred calibrated
  • Very clean 3D, three brightness settings
  • 3D glasses exceptionally light, very comfortable
  • Truly outstanding placement flexibility
  • Lens Memory - for using widescreens without an anamorphic lens (a real plus for some)
  • CFI - smooth motion, one of the smoothest/best, many may even use for movie viewing, who would not engage most others for same
  • Calibrates very nicely, though not the absolute most natural color
  • 3 HDMI 1.4a (Blu-ray 3D compatible) inputs
  • 480hz panels for faster response time, including gaming
  • Nice remote control
  • CFI and Dynamic iris both function in 3D!
  • Works with 3rd party glasses, as well as some brands like Epson and some Optoma
  • Excellent Lamp Life (4000/5000 hours)
  • Very quiet operation, even at full power
  • Extensive, and well laid out menus
  • Dark finish, which is ideal for most home theaters
  • Waveform monitor and split screen adjustments for the enthusiast/tweaker
  • An excellent value - it simply does more of most things, for less than most of the competition
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1211052339.htm
Quote:

Panasonic have produced an excellent LCD projector which is capable of throwing out very involving, filmic images. Properly set up in an environment which will do it justice, and fed with the best Blu-ray material, we can think of few better movie-watching experiences in the home than on the PT-AT6000.
http://homecinemacentral.com.au/revi...Projector.html

Where To Buy?
http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...projectors.asp
http://www.visualapex.com/Panasonic/...the=PT-AE8000U
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PT-A...onic+PT-AE8000
http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/s...roductID=39158
http://www.projectorpoint.com/produc...PT-AE8000.aspx
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Panasoni...FQrhQgodMSoAcw, The lowest price, but may not be an authorized dealer (Panasonic may not send you free 3D glasses)

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #2

Jan 2008
Southern California

THE PANASONIC PT-AE8000U PROJECTOR REVIEW

The Panasonic projector was delivered in one day. I ordered it on Monday, October 8th (a semi official holiday) and Fedex attempted to deliver it on Tuesday, October 9th. That is amazing. I ordered it from ProjectorPeople.com and they are located in Florida. Apparently, they have a warehouse or associate dealer in Ontario, California next to the Ontario airport. I have both positive and negative things to say about the dealer.

Pro:
  • Authorized dealer.
  • Free shipping.
  • Helpful website.
  • They don’t push you to buy other products or accessories
Con:
  • They call your home after you place the order to make sure you actually ordered it. Their logic is to avoid fraud. It is inconvenient because you have to stay home and answer their call. I guess the concept of work does not enter into their minds.
  • The email confirmation that I received specifically said that they will send me another email with tracking number. No such email was sent. I was under the impression that the projector will arrive in a week. The sales person who called in fact confirmed that it will take four to five days. I was shocked and surprised that Fedex had put a notice on my door when I came home the next day.
  • The worst thing was that at the request of the dealer, Fedex required a signature. Additionally, the dealer had put another restriction that you could not go to the Fedex office to pick up the package in the evening. A person with a valid government ID had to sign for it at the shipping address. That meant that I had to stay home for his majesty, King Fedex, to arrive at his convenience.

Anyway, the projector was delivered and I forgot the inconvenience that the dealer caused. I was impressed that Panasonic had double boxed it. Immediately, I opened the boxes and installed it. It was not very difficult as I already had a bracket attached to the ceiling. However, the projector was slightly heavier than my previous BenQ, Epson, and two Sony projectors. I won’t mention the gigantic Sharp projector I bought in the mid 1990s. That projector was as big and as heavy as tank and required an army to attach it to the ceiling. I almost killed myself when I fell off the ladder trying to protect the projector with my body. A human body is replaceable, but that projector cost over $5,000. It is currently sitting in the back of my HT room picking up dust. It is still working. I am willing to pay someone to take it. Incidentally, I have a good Epson 1080UB that I should sell. It is in excellent shape and fully functional.

Here are the first few pictures:

I used several calibration discs to calibrate the projector. Surprisingly, the calibration results are pretty close to the projector’s settings out of the box.

I cannot give you much information about its 3D performance as I do not have any 3D glasses. I have already filled the rebate form for two free pairs of 3D glasses from Panasonic. Hopefully, they will arrive before 2013.

Room
It is perhaps a good idea to give a brief description of the room where the projector is installed. The room is a dedicated home theater room and the lighting is pretty much controlled. Most of the walls and the ceiling are covered with acoustic foam and bass traps and relatively dark. However, there are some areas of the white ceiling and walls that are still exposed. The room is relatively large: 24ft x 20ft x 8.5ft. The projector is installed approximately 13ft away from the screen. The screen is white with a gain of 1.0 and is made by Da-lite. Its size is 96" x 72" and the image on the screen has approximately a diameter of 115" to 120".

Legend
: For, : Against, : Abstain

SCREEN SHOTS

I took these pictures in a hurry. They don’t necessarily do justice to the images of the projectors. The first three pictures are from TV and the rest are from Blu-ray movies. When I have more time, I will take more and better pictures.

Appearance
While Sony has always made curvy and sexy projectors, Panasonic used to make some of the ugliest projectors in the past. They all had rough edges and looked like a typical ugly and lifeless black box. I remember the comment made a few years ago by the spouse of a Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector owner and wondering why her husband had attached the receiver to the ceiling.

Panasonic PT-AE4000U

Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Fortunately, the new Panasonic PT-AE 8000U projector looks a lot more attractive.

Installation Flexibility
As far as installation is concerned, Panasonic PT-AE8000 is perhaps the most flexible projector at any price level and offers excellent flexibility for installation in all types of rooms.

Lens Memory
Something that you do not find on many other projectors is lens memory. Up to six settings in either 2D or 3D can be stored in the lens memory, including zoom and focus positions. These memories can be recalled manually in both 2D and 3D, or can be set for automatic switching in 2D only. The projector is able to detect 2.35:1 and 16:9 sources and retrieve the stored setting automatically.

Brightness
According to Panasonic, the PT-AE8000 has a brightness level of 2400 lumens. The older PT-AE7000 had 2000 lumens. The additional lumens are achieved partly by using a 220 watt lamp instead of 200 watts and partly by other refinements in the projector. Overall, the projector has sufficient brightness for both 2D and 3D even for those who may use the projector in their living room.

Black Levels
Black levels look very good and apparently better than the PT-AE7000. Panasonic has also increased their contrast ratio to a 500,000:1, but you should always take these numbers with a grain of salt, particularly when dynamic irises are involved. This is the fifth projector in my home theater and it has by far the best blacks than all of them. In this price level, the Panasonic has very solid blacks. You may have to spend significantly more money to get better blacks, but after a certain point, with average human eyes, you won’t be able to tell.

Shadow Detail
The shadow detail on the PT-AE8000 has significantly improved over the PT-AE7000. On the 7000, you had to increase the brightness to an unacceptable levels to see all the details. You do not have to do that on the 8000 projector.

Color
Out of the box, the colors and skin tone projector look fantastic. The projector has seven picture modes: Cinema 1, Cinema 2, Normal, Dynamic, Rec. 709, D-cinema, and Game Mode. Rec. 709 is almost perfectly close to specifications. However, the picture may look a bit flat and dark on a large screen. This mode is more appropriate for a small screen or TV monitor. Cinema 1 is slightly brighter and perhaps preferred by most people for larger screens. For dedicated dark HT rooms, choose Rec. 709 or Cinema 1 depending on the size of the screen. For living rooms where light cannot be completely controlled, the Normal mode is preferred.

Sharpness
One of the main complaints against LCD projectors in the past has always been the so-called “chicken wire effect.” Panasonic uses the “Smooth Screen Technology” to create a film-like image on the screen. This technology attempts to eliminate all the gaps between the pixels. Unless you are sitting only a couple of feet from the screen, you will not be able to detect any pixels with naked eyes.

Lamp Life
The lamp life in normal mode is 4000 hours and in Eco mode is 5000 hours. These are some of the best numbers among projectors at all price levels.

Warranty
The Panasonic projector has a 2-year warranty with a caveat. A few other projectors have better warranties. The PT-AE8000 warranty in the US has a 2000 hour maximum, so it is 2 years or 2000 hours. Just remember that most people do not use more than 1000 hours a year (approximately 20 hours a week).

Remote Control
The remote control on this projector is very small and pretty basic. It does have back lighting to see the keys in the dark, but not much else to brag about.

Menu
Panasonic has one of the most detailed and extensive menus among all projectors. On the positive side, it offers a great deal of flexibility for calibration and tweaking, far more than other projectors in its price level. On the negative side, the characters on the screen are too small and dim to see and the menu options are too difficult to find and understand.

3D Performance
To be completed.

2D to 3D Conversion
To be completed.

3D Crosstalk
To be completed.

Overall
To be completed.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-03-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Some of you may already know that I recently bought a Benq W7000 Projector. This DLP projector is an outstanding performer in both 2D and 3D. Because it is a very bright projector, its 3D performance is better than projectors that cost several times more. Also, DLP projectors can use 3D glasses from any manufacturers and do not require IR link. I used the projector for a few days and was very happy with it. At the time I had no 3D movies. I decided to order Hugo in 3D from Amazon.

I tried very hard to play the movie, but not very successful. A message would appear on the screen that I needed a compatible player and TV to play 3D movies. The first thing I suspected was the long HDMI cable. I assumed that it was not high speed and could not carry 3D signals. After switching cables for a few times, I still did not succeed. While I was getting ready to get a hammer and smash the projector , I accidentally inserted one of the cables into HDMI Input #2. Like magic, the 3D picture appeared. After cleaning up and adjusting the projector again, I sat down and watched the 3D movie. I was very impressed with the performance of the projector and happier with its results than the 3D movies I had seen the commercial theaters.

Quite by chance, I realized that the projector’s HDMI Input #1 is defective and that left a bad taste in my mouth. There were a few other minor irritations about the projector that I did not like, but they were not significant. To make a long story short, I decided to return the projector back to Amazon and get a replacement. While I was doing the packing and installing my old reliable Epson 1080UB back to where it had been for several years, I decided to surf the internet and get more information about projectors. To my surprise, I found out that the new Panasonic PT-AE8000 is already available and sold by several online dealers. I also read the review by Projector Central and was very impressed. Being a crazy and unctrollable HT addict, I immediately asked Amazon to give me a refund and ordered the new Panasonic PT-AE8000 from Projector People for $2999 plus free shipping. If you order the projector before the end of the year, you get two free 3D glasses from Panasonic. All the links are in Post #2.

Congratulations BD. I just set up my new PT-AE7000U and was very impressed with the 2D & 3D. What improvements have been made on the 8000?
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Yamaha: CX-1000, B-6, T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Klipschorns Modded with ALK Universal Crossovers & Crites CT-125 Tweeters.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #4

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
Congratulations BD. I just set up my new PT-AE7000U and was very impressed with the 2D & 3D. What improvements have been made on the 8000?
Thank you.

I haven't received the projector and cannot say anything from my experience. The most important improvement is brightness. The 8000 has a higher brightness and that makes a big difference if your room is not completely dark and also for 3D movies. You should read the Projector Central's review in Post #2.

From Panasonic's Website:
Quote:
The Panasonic AE8000 is 20% brighter than the AE7000 and this brightness is especially noticeable in 3D mode. At 500,000:1, the AE8000 has the highest contrast ratio of any of our home theater projectors!
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-09-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Congratulations Big Daddy!!!
You did the right thing to return the other PJ and get the Pana.
I'm sure you will love it. It is also on my radar (to replace the AE4000).
Please post a lot of pictures when you get it and share your impressions.
Congrats again!!!
Adopted Blu-ray long before its development and launch.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #6

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigneur_rayden View Post
Congratulations Big Daddy!!!
You did the right thing to return the other PJ and get the Pana.
I'm sure you will love it. It is also on my radar (to replace the AE4000).
Please post a lot of pictures when you get it and share your impressions.
Congrats again!!!
Thank you very much. You will have to wait for my impressions for a couple of weeks.

I was pretty impressed with the performance of the Benq W7000 projector, but one of the HDMI inputs not working properly was not acceptable to me. Also, the lure of a better projector excited my home theater genes.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

This has piqued my interest. Especially the contrast ratio of 500,000:1. I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts on this. I'm wondering how this new pj will stack up against my 3 year old JVC?
When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #8

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
This has piqued my interest. Especially the contrast ratio of 500,000:1. I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts on this. I'm wondering how this new pj will stack up against my 3 year old JVC?
The Panasonic PT-AE7000 was considered to be an outstanding performer and highly reviewed. The PT-AE8000 is even better. Apparently, its brightness, contrast ratio, and 3D performance have improved.

Generally speaking, the recent JVC projectors had the best black levels, but relatively disappointing 3D performance.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #9

Mar 2011
st paul,mn

Wow I’m surprised you parted with the benq (sounded pretty happy).
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
Wow I’m surprised you parted with the benq (sounded pretty happy).
I was very happy with it, but one of the HDMI inputs was not working properly.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #11

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Big Daddy ~ You are always full of surprises Hope the new 8000 has no problems and turns out to be the right one for you. Look forward to see how it compares to the BenQ in picture quality.
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Aug 2011
Cincy, OH

Sorry to hear about your Benq HDMI issues, but the good news is that Panny is on the way! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the new Panny.
Sony HW30AES
Screen Innovations performance 100" 1.3g Solar 4K
Denon 4311ci
Klipsch RC3
Klipsch KLF-20x 2
PS4
HSU VTF-15H
Psn id BornSlippyZ010
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I'm excited to read your review of the 8000. It's on my short list too, along with the Epson 5020 and the new JVC and Sony. I'm hoping a couple of local places will get them instock and setup in the coming months so I can do some side by side comparisons.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #14

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Big Daddy ~ You are always full of surprises Hope the new 8000 has no problems and turns out to be the right one for you. Look forward to see how it compares to the BenQ in picture quality.
At the rate I am going, I may buy a new projector every two weeks. If I get really frustrated, I may end up buying a commercial movie theater.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #15

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Twinks View Post
Sorry to hear about your Benq HDMI issues, but the good news is that Panny is on the way! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the new Panny.
Believe me, I really liked the Beng. It is not easy to unpack a projector, disconnect the old one, and attach the new one to the ceiling, and then again repeat this procedure a few weeks later. Additionally, it takes a lot of time to calibrate each projector.

My hope is that the new Panasonic projector will remain in my home theater until the 22nd century.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #16

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
I'm excited to read your review of the 8000. It's on my short list too, along with the Epson 5020 and the new JVC and Sony. I'm hoping a couple of local places will get them instock and setup in the coming months so I can do some side by side comparisons.
I have an easy solution for you. Buy me a Sony and a JVC, and I will gladly do a comparison review for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #17

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
At the rate I am going, I may buy a new projector every two weeks. If I get really frustrated, I may end up buying a commercial movie theater.
When you get to a SIM2 you can send it to me to test out after you have it all calibrated for me
Brent

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

I need to stay out of threads like this...My projector is not even hung, and I'm getting that "buyers itch"...
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #19

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
I need to stay out of threads like this...My projector is not even hung, and I'm getting that "buyers itch"...
Better get it hung then
Brent

Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Believe me, I really liked the Beng. It is not easy to unpack a projector, disconnect the old one, and attach the new one to the ceiling, and then again repeat this procedure a few weeks later. Additionally, it takes a lot of time to calibrate each projector.

My hope is that the new Panasonic projector will remain in my home theater until the 22nd century.
It is okay if it doesn't. If you get frustrated, just send the AE8000 to me
Adopted Blu-ray long before its development and launch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors