COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #1

Jun 2007
forster, Australia
Australia new 4k Blu-ray movies

Hi Guy's,
Just wondering what the sensus is out there in regards to the new blu-ray format of 4k titles being released as early as next year.
I understand that the electronic giants of LG,SONY and other's are in the process of finalising production of new tv's and blu-ray players to support this new technology.
So my question is, do people think 4k will be the next big thing and be embraced, or be too expensive for people to upgrade all their home entertainment equipment, yet again, and not achieve to be the new hi-def format.
Thank's for any replies.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

Jan 2009

I like it!I welcome every technology that makes us enjoy movies more. I understand many people feel like they will have to re buy many movies because Blu-Ray barely released the most important films, but that's the business and I am sure many would like if they did not think of their favorites in 4K looking awesome at home..
- When a man who looks like Yoda hands you a prophecy, you have to respond.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

it will be a few years until i upgrade to 4K and thats most likely when i get my own house or apartment to make use of a large tv and enjoy it. I will keep buying Blu-rays as i bet some classic and unnoticed films will stay on 2k Bluray and not move up to 4k.
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #4

Sep 2010

I am waiting for glases free 3D. Any 4K tv would need to have that before I consider upgrading.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Not buying. I really dont see myself watching stuff on anything more than 60 inches, and 4k just wouldn't be much of a perceivable difference.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Not buying. I really dont see myself watching stuff on anything more than 60 inches, and 4k just wouldn't be much of a perceivable difference.
Trust me, it would...at least with newer released films but it is a waste of money. Even though Blu-ray has only been out for 6 years, the HD DVD war didn't give it the best reputation and now only about 25% of the people i know and talk too know what blu-ray is and 50% know it but cant tell a difference. They really need to let Blu-ray overtake DVD in sales and ownership percentages. Even if they do release 4k, it should be like what they did with 3D. Offer it as a combo pack with normal Blu-ray and/or 3d for an extra say $5 and also release it separately. That way, even those who dont intend to upgrade for 4-5 years still have 4K content to be ready with, without buying a new collection.
WTB:
Standard Blu's: Finding Nemo (non 3D with slip), same for Brave. Cars 2 3D with all discs. Disney 3D releases (G-Force, Chicken Run, Little and Meet the Robinsons etc.). Beauty and the Beast Xmas with slip.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7

Jul 2012

Forgive my ignorance here, School and my internship have been taking the majority of my time and what time I have gotten I usually spend watching movies, or catching up on TV, so I haven't heard anything about this. Can someone explain what exactly 4K is or at least send me(either in reply on here or in a private message) a link to articles or something?

Again I apologize for my ignorance. (Yes I could probably google it, but I am sitting in class and don't have the time to sift through multiple results, and having a direct link to a good article or a straight explanation from here that I can come back to whenever I get the time to return.) Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

Jun 2009
SIN CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch_of_Media View Post
Forgive my ignorance here, School and my internship have been taking the majority of my time and what time I have gotten I usually spend watching movies, or catching up on TV, so I haven't heard anything about this. Can someone explain what exactly 4K is or at least send me(either in reply on here or in a private message) a link to articles or something?

Again I apologize for my ignorance. (Yes I could probably google it, but I am sitting in class and don't have the time to sift through multiple results, and having a direct link to a good article or a straight explanation from here that I can come back to whenever I get the time to return.) Thanks in advance.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/4k-revolution
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #9

Oct 2012
Australia

IMO, not worth it unless viewing on a large size screen, i.e. 80 inches or above. After recently going into an electronics store here in Australia and seeing a new 80 inch LED TV from sharp selling around the 10k mark, I think a 4k TV of the same size would be considerably more expensive and not worth the price in my opinion. Would rather just buy a projector as it would be cheaper, less cumbersome and I could go much larger in screen size.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #10

Feb 2009

It would be interesting, but it seems like a bit of a niche product. Blu Ray nicely piggybacked with the switch to HDTV, so the market was ready for a disc to fill that format. Unless there is a massive shift to large screens (like 70 inches and up) along with a shift in TV production to 4k, I can't see it making a big impact beyond those of us with huge screens. Most people are happy with Blu, and that keeps it a popular format. Anything higher might only appeal to a select few, and might be a SACD-type format. And while the big money titles might get 4k, not everything will, and I watch more movies than just the big ticket box office smashes.

I have a huge screen, so I would be the target for a 4k format, but they don't need me to get on board for the format to succeed. They need 20 others with 40-50 inch screens, because those are the ones that made Blu Ray a success. I can't see the average consumer upgrading.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Personally I wont be upgrading to a new tv anytime soon and when 4K finally comes around I doubt I will be upgradeing anytime soon then either. Why? Because I feel your gonna need a pretty big tv or projection screen to see all that 4K really has to offer. Dont get me wrong I like the idea of 4K but to appreciate it you need a big tv or projection screen to once again see the benefits. 1080p is good enough for me now and into the long term future.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Expert Member

Jul 2010

I'd be up for a minimum 80' 4k set once the prices stabalize and are down to earth with at least passive 3D.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

I'll upgrade my projector to 4K someday. However, I'm waiting for a combination of other technologies to catch up. Namely LED or laser rather than lamp based projectors which can reach adequate lumen levels and not cost the equivalent of a new car. So essentially it has to be less than $6 grand, 4k resolution and laser or LED for me to care. Maybe this rumored RED projector will come close.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #14

Jul 2012

But...that would only be for new movies isn't it? I mena from what I recall Movies are 35 mm 2K resolution master....Is it possible to convert 2k to 4k????
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

Apr 2012
Karratha, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexACDC93 View Post
But...that would only be for new movies isn't it? I mena from what I recall Movies are 35 mm 2K resolution master....Is it possible to convert 2k to 4k????
No. 4K can be scanned from 35mm prints. And even 6K, as with Jurassic Park for the 3D remaster.

Obviously most of the current releases in catalog will need new masters scanned, and that is going to be slow and costly. Blu-ray 1080p was benefit from TV broadcasting supporting new masters made for HD.

4k won't have the same financial bonus for studios. Way less titles will be made to 4k than 4k adopters will hope for.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggy View Post
So my question is, do people think 4k will be the next big thing and be embraced, or be too expensive for people to upgrade all their home entertainment equipment.
When the price is right, I will be in. The first set to be replaced won't be my largest but rather the smallish 32" Samsung that is in the beadroom. I'm looking for one that is borderless and around 37". It will be my New iPad moment for TV.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman

Last edited by U4K61; 11-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Norway
Send a message via MSN to alphadec

In my country many tv stations still broadcast in SD and 720p is a long way off and 1080P is in dream land.

So 4k..... many knows this is the big new thing but who cares about this since all people wants is to watch movies on their mobil's/ipad, etc.

I think Sony, LG, Samsung should concentrate on releasing OLED in FULL HD (1080P). and let 4K come when the market is ready for it.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #18

Oct 2010

Digital streaming/downloads may make physical copies obsolete sooner than many of us would like. Majority of consumers are perfectly content with streaming subscription services such as netflix.

I think movies will end up like music trends, majority of consumers don't even want CDs anymore and prefer to pay for convenient lower quality mp3 downloads. I predict in a few years, people will be downloading movies at lower quality rather than investing in high quality copies except for enthusiasts.

I think by the time 4K/Redray is "affordable" to the general consumer, 4k format will probably struggle to find a place in consumer homes as digital options gain popularity.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #19
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Ash View Post
Digital streaming/downloads may make physical copies obsolete sooner than many of us would like. Majority of consumers are perfectly content with streaming subscription services such as netflix.

I think movies will end up like music trends, majority of consumers don't even want CDs anymore and prefer to pay for convenient lower quality mp3 downloads. I predict in a few years, people will be downloading movies at lower quality rather than investing in high quality copies except for enthusiasts.

I think by the time 4K/Redray is "affordable" to the general consumer, 4k format will probably struggle to find a place in consumer homes as digital options gain popularity.
Oh man this debate has been done to death on the forum, so I'm not trying to get in to it with ya. LOL... well I guess I am tonight. Sorry. We will just have to agree to disagree. Anyway, to say "Sooner than we'd like" though? Nope, NO way in my opinion. The ISP's at least in the United States have a long ways to go to make that happen.

Two problems. One the badwidth in this country is a far far far cry from making digital downloads or streaming the norm for many American households (at least in any kind of quality HD stream). My father in law is stuck with a 250 meg daily bandwidth cap because he is limited to government subsidized satellite internet, and crummy DSL speed was only pushed past my house in the past 14 months. Face it, a movie is not an mp3 in that the bandwidth infrastructure does not exist to allow it to just kill physical media like we saw with CD's. I don't know where everyone lives as far as the people who makes these kind of statements; but I'll tell you FIOS and fiber is a decade away (or maybe two away) from my house.

Second, I have a buddy that works as an installer. He has noted that in the past five years people have begun buying progressively larger televisions despite the recession every year. If that trend continues, and if 4K makes consumer inroads it will solidify the need for physical media as streaming for the most part looks like junk on sets that large. Ask someone who just bought a new projector or a 60 inch LED if they are going to be happy streaming a low grade 480p (or in my case 360p) Netflix stream to it?

Last, there is the fear of not really owning any of your media that might fuel physical sales. Look what Amazon recently did to a woman when they wiped her Kindle because she purchased the majority of her e-books from the UK rather than the country she lived in. In another case Amazon denied access to a streaming movie that someone "bought" due to a change in their licensing agreement with the studio. So again, they have set precedent showing they will gladly pull the rug out from under you in terms of access to "media you bought".

I don't disagree with ya to be honest. I just think there are a lot more variables that need to come in to play before it happens.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 11-28-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

I don't think I will upgrade to 4K. I know I said the same thing about blu-ray but as it's been mentioned, nowhere near as many titles will make it to 4K. All these glorious really old classics probably won't and a lot of low budget and cult horror films that have been given great treatment for the blu-ray release probably won't either. Seems as though 4K will just be for relatively new titles and maybe the iconic classic films such as Jurrassic Park, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc

I only have a 40" LED LCD screen and that's marvelous to me. I can't even imagine sitting infront of an 80"+ screen at home, which is what I would need to truly appreciate this new format.

I can't predict the future but I honestly just can't see 4K lasting very long, at least the home media market for it won't. I'm sure 4K televisions will start off slow but will eventually become the next big thing which is great, I'll be happy to upgrade but I think I'll just be sticking with blu-ray which is what I'm sure will actually last. I hardly even know anyone who buys blu-rays, let alone knows the difference. The market for 4K would be miniscule compared to what they would need to make in order for it to strive.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology