Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planes (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kid Cannabis (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Angry Birds Toons: Season One - Volume Two (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Vinyl (Blu-ray)
$13.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default The Man With The Iron Fists - Nov. 2nd

Quentin Tarantino’s newest production ‘The Man With The Iron Fists’ directed by RZA hits theatres on Friday November 2nd. The film stars Russell Crowe and RZA himself, along with Lucy Liu, Cung Le and David Bautista.

This red band trailer below had me at “Tarantino” … the rest of it was the best kind of martial arts overkill.

RED BAND TRAILER.
Come Get Some,
Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=146061

It's not even a page back
Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

This movie looks awesome! Can't wait

Here's the links for the other threads about this movie

Link 1 Link 2

edit: curse you, you beautiful british bastard. too fast for me
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

Aug 2009

Ahh excellent! Thanks guys.
Come Get Some,
Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Saw this last night. I was really looking forward to this movie and I have to say that I was disappointed overall. The script was an absolute mess, with several different story-lines and characters never being fully developed or properly integrated. I read that the original cut of the film was between three and four hours, so perhaps that explains why the narrative doesn't flow AT ALL.

In addition to the narrative issues, the dialogue, general writing and directing are pretty uninspired overall. Instead of paying direct homage to the kung fu films of the past, it comes across as more of an attempt at recreating elements of when Tarantino tipped his hat to the Shaw Brothers films in Kill Bill. As it is on screen, it seemed like RZA was not comfortable with developing his own unique vision, which is a shame considering his vast knowledge of the genre.

As much as I love RZA as a rap producer and personality, he should have never cast himself as the lead. It is one thing to be the character that is the mysterious man of a few words, but it is another to have almost no screen presence or charisma at all. His brief cameo in Ghost Dog was much better than all of his screen time here.

The music was surprisingly inappropriate throughout the film as well. I loved the intro with "Shame on a N..." at first, but then it just came across as pandering to fans of Wu Tang and not necessarily actually adding anything to The Man With the Iron Fists as its own unique creation. Further usage of rap music in the film was consistently layered over orchestral music that just did not flow well together, creating a very weird mood throughout the film that never properly set the tone within scenes.

With all that being said, there were definitely some fun fight scenes and some cool weapons and if that is all you are looking for, then maybe you will be satisfied. However, considering the passion that RZA has for kung fu films, and the aid of Eli Roth and (on a very superficial level) Quentin Tarantino, I expected a lot more from this film. There were some fun moments, but ultimately it just did not come together in a satisfactory way for me.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #6

Sep 2012

Saw this today. This isn't a good martial arts movie. Compared to some other martial arts movies (Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Tony Jaa), it just doesn't compare imo.

I agree with the above poster about the script.

The only guy I really liked was the guy with the gold skin. Everyone else, even Russell Crowe, was forgettable.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris435 View Post
Saw this today. This isn't a good martial arts movie. Compared to some other martial arts movies (Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Tony Jaa), it just doesn't compare imo.

I agree with the above poster about the script.

The only guy I really liked was the guy with the gold skin. Everyone else, even Russell Crowe, was forgettable.
two COMPLETELY different Genre's. he wasn't trying to make a fully modern martial arts film. He was trying to create a modern twist on the old 1960's and 70's Shaw brothers martial arts films like 5 deadly venoms etc.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jul 2010
Toronto

The Man With the Iron Fists is a terrible movie. It was poorly made, with obviously cheap production values, embarrassing dialogue, line readings, and voice-over, amateur editing, and awful fight scenes. An all around must-miss.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Dudes, use the review thread for it...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208048

Seriously, what is with this film and having so many threads set up for it?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Power Member

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Wow, it's really that bad? I was looking forward to this one. And interested in seeing what RZA could do.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1989 View Post
Wow, it's really that bad? I was looking forward to this one. And interested in seeing what RZA could do.
not in the least. A lot of people seem to try and compare it to modern Donnie yen , jet li flicks with amazing and realistic fight choreography and witty dialogue. the RZA took a modern twist to the old 60's and 70's shaw brothers flicks which were FAMOUS for dragonball Z like technique names, wild wire work and dialogue that almost made the serious parts a comedy. the RZA was kinda "meh" to have in one of the hero roles, but as an homage to the old cheesy kung fu flicks of the 60's and 70's it was pure gold.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Power Member

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
not in the least. A lot of people seem to try and compare it to modern Donnie yen , jet li flicks with amazing and realistic fight choreography and witty dialogue. the RZA took a modern twist to the old 60's and 70's shaw brothers flicks which were FAMOUS for dragonball Z like technique names, wild wire work and dialogue that almost made the serious parts a comedy. the RZA was kinda "meh" to have in one of the hero roles, but as an homage to the old cheesy kung fu flicks of the 60's and 70's it was pure gold.
Well that's good. I just looked over on IMDB and it's got a good reviews too. I've read that RZA knows his kung fu films and what not so I can't see it being that bad.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I know Shaw Brothers films (I even went to a screening in Los Angeles recently of two rare, Chinese prints of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Five Element Ninja), and I know that was what RZA was trying to emulate here. While some of the action scenes were fun, they were not even in the same league as the Shaw Brothers material. Considering how much RZA loves and respects the genre, this movie could have been a much better homage.

I am trying to remain positive and hoping that the flaws were only magnified by the slashed running time. Perhaps a longer cut on Blu Ray will enhance the film.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Ottawa,Canada
Send a message via MSN to TheZoof

My buddy and I thought it was fantastic movie. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

It isn't going to win any Academy Awards, however it wasn't meant to.

Fantastic, fun!
The Zoof

Living Room - Pioneer KRP-500M | Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Panasonic DMP-BD89| PS4 | Wii U
Speakers
- PSB Image B25 Monitor | PSB Alpha B1 Monitor | PSB Alpha C1 Monitor | Klipsch SW-115

Fav Blu Right Now - No Country for Old Men
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Just saw this (Extended edition) and thought it is EXCELLENT. Easily one of my favorite fun films of 2012.
This was not only one of the best directed 1st time films I have seen it is one of the best directed films of 2012. Such a visually beautiful impressive achievement. It is silly fun but it is damn well executed.
The listed budget is only $15 which I find to be jaw-dropping because this had better action than films with 10-15 times that budget. If Rza can provide better action with $15 million than Bond, Bourne and Batman can with budgets anywhere from 115 million to 250+ million that I say let RZA direct Bond 24 and the justice league film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies