Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Vikings: Season One (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Hold Your Breath (Blu-ray)
$8.75
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #941
Expert Member

Dec 2012
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlilc View Post
Best purchase ever! Looks amazing I must say.

Love the vinyl figures! I'm in the process of getting the McFarlane figures to go with mine.
Film is life.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #942
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Still wondering how much the Steelbook was selling for because I got mine for $26.99 including taxes. Therefore, it came out to $29 and some change. Was that price correct?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #943
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Well, I got my two aquariums yesterday, just set one up today and it does look cool. But, I had a rather hard time setting this thing up and still am, which sounds stupid to say. The instructions say the heads can be placed in any order, however, with my heads, it seems rather limited with which ones I can put next to each other. It doesn't matter which head I place and where, the damn things are either touching each other or almost touching each other and they end up looking crowded. The only way to really get them to fit and look good is to not put them down in the little recessed spots, which is where you're supposed to put them. Putting them in any order in the recessed areas make them look really crowded, to the point that a couple of them are almost touching, no matter the order I put them in. They're either almost touching each other or touching the edge of the tank plastic (In the tank with the three heads).

And an even bigger annoyance, one of my heads sits so high up, even when placed in a recessed spot that I can't snap the lid closed. The only solution seems to be to mess around with the spring and try and bend the head downward, but I don't want to be bending the springs around to try and get the lid to close. And this head doesn't just sit a little above the top of the tank, the hair on the head sits like one fourth of an inch over the top and the lid will just not snap closed, even in a recessed spot! I do see some other people's tanks appear like the heads are close together, but mine are almost touching, no matter the order I place them in and it just looks stupid having them that close together.

Not to mention, even on my other tank with all the heads sitting below the top of the tank, the lid doesn't snap closed very easily and doesn't seem like it's snapped on very tight, even though the instructions say "Lid will easily snap closed"... yeah, right. And I am putting the lid on in the correct direction.

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems getting the lids to snap on and the heads spaced apart, appropriately? Sorry for the long post, just can't believe it's been this much of a hassle.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #944
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

I look at it like this: the 2 head in the top tank(for example) are Michonne's walkers that the Governer kept. So those two definitely go together. The other three can go in any order that works for you. They are going to touch a little bit, as they did in the show. I think this is the desired effect. As for not mounting them on the desired indentation, I would do so. As they can, easily, become dislodged...at least in my experience.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #945
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8977 View Post
This tank boxset has done an amazing job of making everyone forget that season 3 was not actually very good !
Hey! A post not about the aquarium! How novel.

Personally, I thought season 3 was pretty damned gripping.

On the IMDb message board, which is probably one of the most dysfunctional boards on the entire site (!), when the show is discussed seriously now and then, most of the naysayers complain about either (a) poor writing, (b) deviations from the comic book origins, and (c) "nothing happens".

This last one comes up all the time, but it's a literal head-scratcher for me. I have to wonder if the people saying this have seen Romero's classic zombie trilogy (which the show does a reasonably good job of honouring in terms of pacing). The "nothing happens" complaint could just as easily be directed that way because the characters don't necessarily fight zombies every few minutes. Particularly with respect to Dawn and Day, this aspect is part of their genius -- we're trapped in a claustrophobic environment for so long that we might temporarily forget what's going on outside. Likewise, the conflict among the living humans becomes more important.

As far as poor writing is concerned, I won't deny that sixteen episodes may have been more than the season 3 story could sustain, with Rick vacillating a bit too much towards the end, but that's a minor complaint.

One example of particularly strong writing (no to mention the "nothing happens" canard) for me would be one of the lowest rated episodes of the season, "Arrow...", in which a conversation between two guys is arguably more loaded with tension than any scene in the series. The actors deserve credit too, of course.

I welcome deviations from the comic. I've read them all and (I believe) they generally get better as they go on. Furthermore, I'd say the Governor is a more compelling character as he's fleshed out in the show. Guaranteed, if his characterization had been taken verbatim from the books, the same people who complain that he's "GINO" ("Governor In Name Only") would say that he's little more than an evil caricature on the show.

Hey, I'm not saying this show approaches the quality of Mad Men or The Wire, but it's leagues better than just about any post-Day of the Dead zombie movie out there. Or does that sound like damning with faint praise?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #946

Jan 2011
Monterey, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesis View Post
Still wondering how much the Steelbook was selling for because I got mine for $26.99 including taxes. Therefore, it came out to $29 and some change. Was that price correct?
Did you use the Cartwheel app? Because that's what I paid after coupon.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #947

Nov 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
Well, I got my two aquariums yesterday, just set one up today and it does look cool. But, I had a rather hard time setting this thing up and still am, which sounds stupid to say. The instructions say the heads can be placed in any order, however, with my heads, it seems rather limited with which ones I can put next to each other. It doesn't matter which head I place and where, the damn things are either touching each other or almost touching each other and they end up looking crowded. The only way to really get them to fit and look good is to not put them down in the little recessed spots, which is where you're supposed to put them. Putting them in any order in the recessed areas make them look really crowded, to the point that a couple of them are almost touching, no matter the order I put them in. They're either almost touching each other or touching the edge of the tank plastic (In the tank with the three heads).

And an even bigger annoyance, one of my heads sits so high up, even when placed in a recessed spot that I can't snap the lid closed. The only solution seems to be to mess around with the spring and try and bend the head downward, but I don't want to be bending the springs around to try and get the lid to close. And this head doesn't just sit a little above the top of the tank, the hair on the head sits like one fourth of an inch over the top and the lid will just not snap closed, even in a recessed spot! I do see some other people's tanks appear like the heads are close together, but mine are almost touching, no matter the order I place them in and it just looks stupid having them that close together.

Not to mention, even on my other tank with all the heads sitting below the top of the tank, the lid doesn't snap closed very easily and doesn't seem like it's snapped on very tight, even though the instructions say "Lid will easily snap closed"... yeah, right. And I am putting the lid on in the correct direction.

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems getting the lids to snap on and the heads spaced apart, appropriately? Sorry for the long post, just can't believe it's been this much of a hassle.
I set mine up the way it looks on the box. Like you said one of the heads (far right 3 head tank) is really big and does stick out at the top a little. I couldn't snap the lid on tight for the back corner of that tank which was a little disappointing. I also had to re-jig the heads into their slots a bit because they kept falling out, but aside from that the rest of it was pretty well done. I didn't expect much, so I'm quite pleased with it.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #948
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post

It came with instructions?! Didn't even see them when setting my tank up. I just used the picture on the box for reference.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Last edited by zeze; 08-31-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #949
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
DFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post

On the IMDb message board, which is probably one of the most dysfunctional boards on the entire site (!), when the show is discussed seriously now and then, most of the naysayers complain about either (a) poor writing, (b) deviations from the comic book origins, and (c) "nothing happens".

This last one comes up all the time, but it's a literal head-scratcher for me. I have to wonder if the people saying this have seen Romero's classic zombie trilogy (which the show does a reasonably good job of honouring in terms of pacing). The "nothing happens" complaint could just as easily be directed that way because the characters don't necessarily fight zombies every few minutes. Particularly with respect to Dawn and Day, this aspect is part of their genius -- we're trapped in a claustrophobic environment for so long that we might temporarily forget what's going on outside. Likewise, the conflict among the living humans becomes more important.

As far as poor writing is concerned, I won't deny that sixteen episodes may have been more than the season 3 story could sustain, with Rick vacillating a bit too much towards the end, but that's a minor complaint.

One example of particularly strong writing (no to mention the "nothing happens" canard) for me would be one of the lowest rated episodes of the season, "Arrow...", in which a conversation between two guys is arguably more loaded with tension than any scene in the series. The actors deserve credit too, of course.

I welcome deviations from the comic. I've read them all and (I believe) they generally get better as they go on. Furthermore, I'd say the Governor is a more compelling character as he's fleshed out in the show. Guaranteed, if his characterization had been taken verbatim from the books, the same people who complain that he's "GINO" ("Governor In Name Only") would say that he's little more than an evil caricature on the show.

Hey, I'm not saying this show approaches the quality of Mad Men or The Wire, but it's leagues better than just about any post-Day of the Dead zombie movie out there. Or does that sound like damning with faint praise?
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....t=walking+dead
Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #950
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYokogawa View Post
Did you use the Cartwheel app? Because that's what I paid after coupon.
Yes, I did use the Cartwheel App. I just wanted to double check if what I paid was correct because the cashier that rang me up at Target couldn't scan the barcode, so he keyed something in manually, thought I was getting the wrong price.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #951

Nov 2006
Shelby, NC

Well, I fixed the scratches on both my tanks for the most part I remembered I had this stuff in my garage that gets rid of minor scratches on my headlights, etc. It's called plastx: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plast...eywords=plastx

I put a dab on a microfiber cloth and applied decent pressure with my finger going in circles. I did it to the outside of the tank for around 5 minutes and then the inside as well. I wiped everything with a separate cloth and it looks good enough for me to keep the set now!
dvdguru

My equipment:

Elite PRO-70X5FD 70" LED TV
Oppo BDP-93 BD player
Onkyo SC5508 Prepro, Outlaw 7125 7.1 amp
Paradigm CC690 Center, Studio 60's and (4) ADP570 rear/side surrounds
Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #952
Expert Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post
Well, I fixed the scratches on both my tanks for the most part I remembered I had this stuff in my garage that gets rid of minor scratches on my headlights, etc. It's called plastx: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plast...eywords=plastx

I put a dab on a microfiber cloth and applied decent pressure with my finger going in circles. I did it to the outside of the tank for around 5 minutes and then the inside as well. I wiped everything with a separate cloth and it looks good enough for me to keep the set now!
Nice! I'll have to try that on mine.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #953
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post

as someone who has watched every episode of mad men and the wire I have no problem saying I enjoy the walking dead more.

i don't understand some of the hate season 3 has received. was season 2 better? maybe but i really enjoyed the downbeat tone of season 3 and i think it was more faithful to the overall themes of the comic then the second season.

maybe watching them all in a bunch like i do with the blu rays (i have no cable) gives me a different perspective then the folks who watch the show week by week. i always enjoy the episodes where not much happens to move the main story arc forward.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #954

Oct 2009

Do any of the first three seasons of Walking Dead on blu-ray come with a digital copy code?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #955
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
Do any of the first three seasons of Walking Dead on blu-ray come with a digital copy code?

Thanks,
Tom
I don't think so. I bought S2 from a seller, but I don't think it came with a code. I know S1 & S3, definitely, did not come with a code.
I don't think any AMC show: Breaking Bad, TWD, Hell on Wheels have come with codes.
I think it's very hit or miss with TV series, since a lot of shows can be viewed on that shows website for free.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #956
Power Member

Jan 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Thanks,
Tom
The Walmart version of season 3 has a vudu copy, but that's it.
Last Bought: American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street Future Purchases: American Horror Story: Coven, Walking Dead: Season 4, Girls: Season 3, Her, 12 Years a Slave.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #957
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I don't think so. I bought S2 from a seller, but I don't think it came with a code. I know S1 & S3, definitely, did not come with a code.
I don't think any AMC show: Breaking Bad, TWD, Hell on Wheels have come with codes.
I think it's very hit or miss with TV series, since a lot of shows can be viewed on that shows website for free.
Breaking Bad 5th season only comes with UV.

No TWD or Hell On wheels ever have.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #958
Power Member

Oct 2012
SE MI.

I had to open mine today to make sure the tanks weren't scuffed or anything, esp. after seeing 2 more copies at BB yesterday. Figured if anything was messed up, I could exchange this morning. 1 small scuff not enough to worry about, plus in a corner gives it character. Good thing I feel this way, both of those sets are gone and the whole bottom of the display where they were is covered now, so no more here. Pretty sure this is my new favorite "swag" edition of anything. Definitely cooler than the Alien egg or Batpod, although the Phantasm (UK DVD) sphere is beautiful in it's simplicity and looks crazy cool.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #959
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
Breaking Bad 5th season only comes with UV.

No TWD or Hell On wheels ever have.
Yes that's right. I didn't think the first 4 seasons came with any codes. Also I think I could add Mad Men to that AMC list. Unless the upcoming S6 BD has a code?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #960

Mar 2013
cincinnati
Send a message via AIM to r_webb18

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
as someone who has watched every episode of mad men and the wire I have no problem saying I enjoy the walking dead more.

i don't understand some of the hate season 3 has received. was season 2 better? maybe but i really enjoyed the downbeat tone of season 3 and i think it was more faithful to the overall themes of the comic then the second season.

maybe watching them all in a bunch like i do with the blu rays (i have no cable) gives me a different perspective then the folks who watch the show week by week. i always enjoy the episodes where not much happens to move the main story arc forward.
The problem I have with season 3 is they built up this huge battle with the governor where nothing happens. I didn't really want it to drag on to season 4. Also I hate how they sit around a prison it becomes boring. They need to travel the world and make it more fun. As far as I know they don't really follow the comic so they could pretty much do whatever they want to make it interesting.

I watch way to much tv compared to most people so boring stuff sticks out more to me. I still watch and always will though. This is one type of show that could def fix its flaws at any moment though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America