COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$7.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Europe
USA Stalingrad (1993) - January 08,2013

Last edited by Akijama; 01-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Feb 2009
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Courtesy of Hen's Tooth

trailer

Awesome, tried to watch the DVD a few years ago but it was non-anamorphic and I found it too difficult to watch it like that.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Excellent war film. I'm in for $12.99 or less.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Will be a blind buy, but I am interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Excellent war film. I'm in for $12.99 or less.
It is released by Hen's Tooth = expensive. I've had High Road to China set at $19.99 in my price tracker since it first went into pre-order...nothing yet. If the PQ were good I would have paid the $24, but for what the quality is, $19.99 is my max.

Last edited by Blu Titan; 10-26-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

great film!
$19.99 is also roughly my limit also.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

Awesome news. Powerful and moving war film that I've had on DVD for years. The fact that it is being released by Hen's Tooth means it will be quite high in price for a long time. Still waiting on price drops for High Road to China and The Private Eyes. However, for Stalingrad, I may not be able to wait. The amazon pre-order price is actually about as low as I've seen one of their videos.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #8

Oct 2010

Has anyone heard any details on what special features, if any, are included? I have the DVD release of this film and that one has really no special features on it. This is a great film and I'll probably pick up on the first day. I hope they put in some of the documentaries and other features that are on some of the non-US releases!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

I love this movie and I have the DVD.. Here in Denmark you can find a blu-ray release of this movie for around 8-9 dollars. Can't comment on the quality though since I haven't seen it.
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #10

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
Awesome news. Powerful and moving war film that I've had on DVD for years. The fact that it is being released by Hen's Tooth means it will be quite high in price for a long time. Still waiting on price drops for High Road to China and The Private Eyes. However, for Stalingrad, I may not be able to wait. The amazon pre-order price is actually about as low as I've seen one of their videos.
Bummer on the price. But as I get more BDs I get more patient for price drops since I can always watch something out of the collection. But this is probably one of my three favorite war movies that I don't already have (darn Cross of Iron region locked, and the Blue Max) so eventually I'll break down.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #11

Aug 2011
PA - USA
USA

Very good movie.
Will make a good addition to my collection.
Who Dares Wins!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
Blu-ray reviewer

May 2011
New York City
-

Stalingrad Blu-ray review
An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.Jef Mallett, Frazz

Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue.Scott Adams, Dilbert
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Good to see the Blu-ray got a good treatment, the DVD was kind of muddy.

Now bring on a US release of Downfall, please.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #14

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
Good to see the Blu-ray got a good treatment, the DVD was kind of muddy.

Now bring on a US release of Downfall, please.
Regarding Downfall, the UK release is region free. You can get it at amazon.co.uk for a good price (even after shipping). Be sure to read the user reviews...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

25 bucks is too much for a catalog release like this.. But if you are interested in war movies then rent or buy this when it is cheaper! Surprised to see it get a 4.0 in video quality.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Does anyone know if it is a different transfer from the European BLurays that were released some months ago?
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County (2015?), Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull (2014), Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies (2014?), Abyss (2014?), Bringing Up Baby, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #17

Aug 2007
Default Thank you

What a nice surprise this review was. Not only in the technical department, but regarding history too.

Of course, no viewer is expected to sympathize with the Germans, but how many are likely to side with their opposition? If you're looking for someone to root for, Stalingrad offers you an unpalatable choice between Hitler's Nazis and Stalin's Bolsheviks

Spot on. Often, too often, I hear people speaking of the Sovjetunion as an ally, equal to USA and Great Britain. They were not. They were a neccessary evil.

They shared Poland with Germany. They attacked the small neutral country Finland, sacrificed by Roosevelt and Churchill and nevertheless, that little country managed to keep its independence against an overwhelming force. I would like to see the Russian-Finish Winterwar and the Continuation war, depicted like Stalingrad. That is a forgotten war, with a brave little nation, that one can really root for.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stalingrad again.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
Will be a blind buy, but I am interested.

It is released by Hen's Tooth = expensive. I've had High Road to China set at $19.99 in my price tracker since it first went into pre-order...nothing yet. If the PQ were good I would have paid the $24, but for what the quality is, $19.99 is my max.
I'm with you on that - been waiting for it to drop as well. Everytime I walk into my local pawn shops and Moviestop I keep my fingers crossed that I'll come across it.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #19

Nov 2008
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Does anyone know if it is a different transfer from the European BLurays that were released some months ago?
Same transfer as the swedish release maybe a year ago.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
What a nice surprise this review was. Not only in the technical department, but regarding history too.

Of course, no viewer is expected to sympathize with the Germans, but how many are likely to side with their opposition? If you're looking for someone to root for, Stalingrad offers you an unpalatable choice between Hitler's Nazis and Stalin's Bolsheviks

Spot on. Often, too often, I hear people speaking of the Sovjetunion as an ally, equal to USA and Great Britain. They were not. They were a neccessary evil.

They shared Poland with Germany. They attacked the small neutral country Finland, sacrificed by Roosevelt and Churchill and nevertheless, that little country managed to keep its independence against an overwhelming force. I would like to see the Russian-Finish Winterwar and the Continuation war, depicted like Stalingrad. That is a forgotten war, with a brave little nation, that one can really root for.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stalingrad again.
They were an ally. They succesfully turned the war and tied up huge parts of the German army.

In the movie the russians are depicted as a "strange" force protecting their homeland from German attackers. You can easily "root" for the Russians but that is not the point. The real succes of this movie lies in its ability to make you sympathize for both sides - when the movie is over you just don't want to see any more death on either sides.

Last edited by Nielsb90; 01-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America