Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC
Default Star Wars: Episode VII

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disn...-wars-creator/

For the love of all things Star Wars, please tell me this is a joke.

What the ****?!
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

I'm... I'm just kinda stunned. Disney and Lucasfilm have had a long history together. But I'm shocked he sold his Baby.

On the other hand... Episode 7 in 2015? Hell yeah I'm pumped. Plus Disney has done wonders for Marvel.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post

What the ****?!
First Marvel, now Lucasfilm? Wow. Really didn't see this coming, though Disney has had quite a good relationship with them in the past.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I'm... I'm just kinda stunned. Disney and Lucasfilm have had a long history together. But I'm shocked he sold his Baby.

On the other hand... Episode 7 in 2015? Hell yeah I'm pumped. Plus Disney has done wonders for Marvel.
Well, George, after Red Tails, said he was done. But, still...this?! THIS?! I can't even get my mind around this.

But, you can bet your asses one thing; theatrical cuts of the original trilogy will be released on BD in the near future.

****ing WOW!
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post

It has to be: There's precious few details, not a lick of confirmation, and not to mention, it's got fanboy Onion/fakie cliche' scribbled ALL over it.

(Like, "Disney's gonna buy EVERYTHING, now that they've bought Marvel!", and "Lucas hasn't really said he was done with his movies, or ended the series with Anakin, he's gonna do another one cause he's greedy!"
I am more a realist of context, and not a fanboy, and find most of those ridiculously crock. )
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Wonder which storyline they will use, hoping for the Thrawn saga.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Jun 2012

This is shocking news!

Hidden Mickeys in Episode VII
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

May 2006
Default Disney Just bought Lucasfilm!

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas’ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise. The companies have also targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7. The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion. MORE TO COME

Last edited by Derekforeals; 10-30-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Deadline just updated the story. Disney confirms the buy.

Again, what the hell?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichod View Post
This is shocking news!

Hidden Mickeys in Episode VII
Well if it's really true, we will probably get a Pixar SW film at some point.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Not surprised. Always knew this would happen. Another trilogy in the hands of another director and possibly writer.
"Grow up. These are my movies, not yours." - GL
Obi-Wan steps on a Lego
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Guys, isn't ILM independent of Lucasfilm now? Please tell me they are...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

It's real. Here is the full press release:

Quote:
Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm’s legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world’s top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney’s strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney’s very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company’s unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney’s portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company’s ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world’s highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

This is ****ing unbelivable! Disney will be the end of all that is good in hollywood.
R.I.P Robin Williams 1951-2014

My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Pre-orders:Evangelion 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekforeals View Post

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas’ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise. The companies have also targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7. The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion. MORE TO COME

The announcement of Episode 7 before the ink is dry makes it read like an April's Fools.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Not surprised. Always knew this would happen. Another trilogy in the hands of another director and possibly writer.
Hopefully, capable ones this time.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I seriously thought this was a joke

A more reputable source: http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...ND_MEDIA&isub=
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

All this sounds great and all....

Let's just hope the world doesn't end this year.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
My Flickr
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Power Member

Jan 2010
Jacksonville, FL

Well, I didn't see that one coming...
Equipment:
RCA 39" LED 39B45RQ 1080P
PS3 80 GB
SONY 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM STR-K660P
DIGIX BLU-RAY PLAYER BD-500