COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Spy Game / State of Play (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Blu-ray)
$18.79
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
WWE: Ladies And Gentleman My Name Is Paul Heyman (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA
Thumbs up Children Who Chase Lost Voices (11/13/12)

I thought I would make a thread for this title since it doesn't appear that there was one already.

I saw this film a few months ago and am really looking forward to the Blu-ray release. I am a big Studio Ghibli fan and the plot reminded me of some of Hayao Miyazaki's films, not to mention the character designs. I'm also curious to hear the English dub and I hope it's well produced.

Anyone else picking this up on release day? I'm hoping Amazon drops the price, even just a little bit, as I think $29.99 is a little high.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Haven't seen this movie before, but will blind buy it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Children Who Chase Lost Voices is currently available for $18.73 shipped at ImportCDs.com with promo code SAVE10 (expires 11/20).

Much better than Amazon's $29.99, unless we can get them to match?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Sep 2010
Poland

Hi,
do you guys know if this film is region B "friendly" ? Would love to have a Makoto Shinkai film on Blu.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paliodor View Post
Hi,
do you guys know if this film is region B "friendly" ? Would love to have a Makoto Shinkai film on Blu.
Sorry, it appears to be Region A locked

you can see the Region A logo on the back here:

[Show spoiler]
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Hi,
Its coming out in the UK before February under a different name.

The name is Journey to Agartha. Apparently the dub is holding up the UK release.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #7

Oct 2010
Germany

Just pre-ordered Grave of the Fireflies, so this has to wait a bit. But I'm definitely looking forward to it. Really enjoyed Shinkais work so far.
Frankly, my dear...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #8

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is currently available for $18.73 shipped at ImportCDs.com with promo code SAVE10 (expires 11/20).

Much better than Amazon's $29.99, unless we can get them to match?
Dang, thanks for that link. You just saved me $20! In Canada, the price is about $39.99.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Sep 2010
Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
Its coming out in the UK before February under a different name.

The name is Journey to Agartha. Apparently the dub is holding up the UK release.
Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that someone will release this anime in the Europe.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Has anyone that pre-ordered this title received their copy yet? I'm anxious to hear how the English dub turned out.

My copy shipped from ImportCDs.com on Friday so I should get it in the next few days.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Has anyone that pre-ordered this title received their copy yet? I'm anxious to hear how the English dub turned out.
I'd like to know as well. I have the English subtitled Hong Kong disk and though I enjoy listening to the original Japanese tracks, the voices of some female characters can be really tough to listen to due to how high pitched and squeaky they can be for some voiceovers.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Mine from DeepDiscount shipped yesterday.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Hi,
All Sentai Filmworks titles are Region A locked.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

I received my copy from ImportCDs.com late last week and watched the film and bonus features over the weekend. The picture quality is excellent and I didn't notice any issues worth reporting. The English dub was pretty well done, and I'm glad that Asuna's English voice actress didn't try to make her sound like a typical "little girl."

The bonus features were pretty good and included a 55-minute Japanese cast interview and a 45 minute "making of" special. There was also a short preview of the Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray, which looks to another great release.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

There's an anime discussion topic for all anime releases:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=101899
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Power Member

Apr 2011

So I bought this along with the Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray a couple of months ago, and finally watched it yesterday. I'm fluent in Japanese, but I typically buy the localized editions for Japanese movies (if available) due to their much more reasonable price point. However, it seemed like with this release, the only option when watching with the Japanese audio track is to have English subtitles there... Is there really no way to watch it in Japanese with the English subtitles turned off? I've never seen a Blu-ray like this where there weren't separate audio track and subtitle options.

And I'm wondering if all Sentai Flimworks Blus are like this.... I mean, it's not a deal breaker, but the subtitles are just so distracting.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2008
Covington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
So I bought this along with the Grave of the Fireflies Blu-ray a couple of months ago, and finally watched it yesterday. I'm fluent in Japanese, but I typically buy the localized editions for Japanese movies (if available) due to their much more reasonable price point. However, it seemed like with this release, the only option when watching with the Japanese audio track is to have English subtitles there... Is there really no way to watch it in Japanese with the English subtitles turned off? I've never seen a Blu-ray like this where there weren't separate audio track and subtitle options.

And I'm wondering if all Sentai Flimworks Blus are like this.... I mean, it's not a deal breaker, but the subtitles are just so distracting.
I know it doesn't seem very fair, but you are a very, very small minority and locked subtitles is a reasonable compromise given how much less blu-rays cost here as opposed to Japan. Better than the alternatives of having the Japanese track be lossy only, no Japanese track, or no North American release at all. Read reviews here and elsewhere or ask others about a specific title as I would suspect this practice is going to become common place. You can then weigh the extra cost to import vs. the convenience for those releases that do have locked subtitles.
In 2007, I bought a PS3 for 4 specific titles; in 2014, half of them haven't been released yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #18

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post

While other companies' BDs have locked subtitles, so far none of Sentai's BDs have them and your report is the first I've seen that Children Who Chase's subtitles are locked. This would be their first. This thread has a list of all affected US BDs.

I haven't bought this yet so I can't check myself. You've tried switching subtitles on the fly and it won't work right? I assume the menu only lets you switch the audio track?

Locked subtitles don't matter to me at all because I need them but I do like to keep track of the restrictions that the Japanese licensors enforce on US releases. Like varmintx posted above, it could be a lot worse. Dub-only, lossy audio, and inferior video masters have all happened on other releases.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Yup, the subtitles are non-removable for the Japanese track. Also annoying on this disc that it defaults to the English track no matter what audio option you select.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Power Member

Apr 2011

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post
I know it doesn't seem very fair, but you are a very, very small minority and locked subtitles is a reasonable compromise given how much less blu-rays cost here as opposed to Japan. Better than the alternatives of having the Japanese track be lossy only, no Japanese track, or no North American release at all. Read reviews here and elsewhere or ask others about a specific title as I would suspect this practice is going to become common place. You can then weigh the extra cost to import vs. the convenience for those releases that do have locked subtitles.
Yes, I can agree that it certainly makes sense from a business perspective. I can't say I have viewed all too many Japan-to-US releases, and since none of the other BDs I have viewed previously had the locked subtitles, I was just kinda caught off guard. Now that I know that this practice is becoming commonplace, I will be on the lookout for it in future purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
While other companies' BDs have locked subtitles, so far none of Sentai's BDs have them and your report is the first I've seen that Children Who Chase's subtitles are locked. This would be their first. This thread has a list of all affected US BDs.

I haven't bought this yet so I can't check myself. You've tried switching subtitles on the fly and it won't work right? I assume the menu only lets you switch the audio track?

Locked subtitles don't matter to me at all because I need them but I do like to keep track of the restrictions that the Japanese licensors enforce on US releases. Like varmintx posted above, it could be a lot worse. Dub-only, lossy audio, and inferior video masters have all happened on other releases.
Thanks for the info. This is from memory, but the options under "Language" included "English," "Japanese with English Subtitles," and "Japanese Commentary with English Subtitles." I was just kind of surprised since the back of the BD case listed the audio tracks and the subs separately. And since I've been able to select the options separately on other releases, I just assumed that this would be the case here. Now I'm educated on the matter, and if I ever purchase another released with locked subs, hopefully it will be a conscious decision!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
anime, chase lost voices, children, makoto shinkai