Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$98.45
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Musketeers: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA Westerns Unchained 12/04/2012

Westerns Unchained Blu-ray

Any idea what westerns are included?, I've searced everywhere and cant find a list of films included on the release

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

It's 25 films on a single disc, so it sounds like an SD collection that's cashing in on Django Unchained

Here's the brief description from amz: A Collection of 25 Classic Spaghetti Westerns - all appearing for the first time on Blu-ray! Memorable films such as Kill Django, Lola Colt and Face to Face and featuring Richard Harrison, Robert Woods, Antonio Sabato, Klaus Kinski, Rory Calhoun, Guiliano Gemma and Lola Folana.

cover art:
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
It's 25 films on a single disc, so it sounds like an SD collection that's cashing in on Django Unchained

Here's the brief description from amz: A Collection of 25 Classic Spaghetti Westerns - all appearing for the first time on Blu-ray! Memorable films such as Kill Django, Lola Colt and Face to Face and featuring Richard Harrison, Robert Woods, Antonio Sabato, Klaus Kinski, Rory Calhoun, Guiliano Gemma and Lola Folana.

cover art:
looks like these are also one on disc, that will mean major compression issues
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

Same thing they did with Wu Tang Iron Fist Collection. Just one of those 10-12 DVD collections crammed onto a single BD to ride the wave of a Tarantino flick.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Well, its all 25 films crammed onto one disc, one film has a station ID on the bottom righ, and the static menus has spelling mistakes (Revegne?)t, here is a review on AMMY from someone who got it early
http://www.amazon.com/Westerns-Uncha...erns+unchained

I might pick it up when I drops to $5 or less
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265

Gaiam did the same thing with the John Wayne Collection by throwing several SD westerns onto a single BD-50. It looks like First Look is just copying them.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

The Germans do a lot of these too. I've considered getting some of these.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #8

Nov 2012

I am so buying this!
I contacted Mill Creek a few days ago and asked them were they going to do more westerns like the grand duel and keoma and they said they were going to be doing more.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Well, got a copy at BBY for $7.99, had a $5 RZ cert (was priced at 12.99), had trouble finding it, as it was in the ANIME SECTION of all places!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
Exclamation Westerns Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Well, got a copy at BBY for $7.99, had a $5 RZ cert (was priced at 12.99), had trouble finding it, as it was in the ANIME SECTION of all places!
Update, the quality of many of these are rough. some scenes seem to very jittery/distorted when there is moving action (never seen that with a BD release before), some are in OAR, but some are "fake widecreen' and have the titles in 2.35 for the credit sequence, then go to 1.78 for the rest of the film (ala Money for Nothing), one film (Pray For Vultures) seems to be windowboxed, one didnt even have the credit sequence before the film!
sound is tinny and or hissy on many of the films I skimmed though, but surprsingly a few of the films have good PQ and AQ, given this is a release of 25 films one one BD
and one film "Lara Colt" does indeed have a burned in station Id on the bottom right of the screen, one has and un-centered 2.35 transfer, it is more close to the top of the screen

I guess we should be thankful these are even on BD in the 1st place

the static menu says:

"Westerns Unleashed?, not Westerns Unchained

Last edited by Crimson King; 12-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I watched Lola Colt. The audio has frequent drop outs and the audio switches constantly from English to Italian while characters are talking mid-sentence. It was frustrating as hell to watch. The second film, Long Days of Revegne, lol, looks like a VCD transfer blown up to HD. Audio switched over only once in the opening minutes, but other than that, the audio was all in English.

The Blu-ray looks like it was made on someone's home computer rather than look like some company product. No FBI warnings or anything. Just a menu where you can scroll through and click on any of the 25 films. Whoever made this Blu-ray is one shameless mofo. This shouldn't have even been factory pressed. I can understand if you want to back up some DVDs and just take the raw VOB files and throw as many as you can on a BD-R, that's one thing. But, this is absurd.

Last edited by OrlandoEastwood; 12-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

Here is a list of the 25 film included in the set (found on amazon)

8 Django films, should have called it Django Westerns Unchained and dumped the rest or knowing these PD companies just rename the other movies Django something

*LOLA COLT (aka BLACK TIGRESS (1967)- with Lola Falana)
* LONG DAYS OF REVENGE
* CALIFORNIA ( (1977)- Starring William Berger & Giuliano Gemma)
* EXECUTION ( (1968)- starring John Richardson)
* KILL DJANGO ( (1971)- Giacomo Rossi-Stuart)
* ONE AFTER ANOTHER (Unknown)
* ADIOS GRINGO ( (1965)- Giuliano Gemma)
* MY NAME IS PECOS (aka DUE ONCE di PIOMBO (1967)- Robert Woods)
* MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU ( (1968)- GEORGE ARDISSON)
* DJANGO: LAST KILLER ( (1967)- George Eastman)
* TWICE A JUDAS (aka THEY WERE CALLED GRAVEYARD (1969) Klaus Kinski & Antoni Sabato)
* TRAIN FOR DJANGO
* GO WITH GOD GRINGO ( (1966)- Glenn Saxson & Aldo Berti)
* RINGO'S BIG NIGHT ( (1966)- William Berger)
* GUN FOR 100 GRAVES (aka PISTOL FOR 100 COFFINS (1968)- Peter Lee Lawrence & John Ireland)
* PREY FOR VULTURES
* FINGER ON THE TRIGGER (aka BLUE LIGHTNING (1965) Rory Calhoun)
* HIS NAME WAS KING (aka Lo Chiamavano King (1971)- Richard Harrison & Klaus Kinski)
* ONE FINE DAY, WHEN DJANGO MET SARTANA
* DJANGO DEFILES SARTANA
* DJANGO AND SARTANA; IT'S THE END ( (1970)- Gordon Mitchell; Jack Betts & Franco Borelli)
* DJANGO SHOOTS FIRST (aka HE WHO SHOOTS FIRST (1966)- Glenn Saxson)
* HALLELUJAH FOR DJANGO ( (1967)- George Eastman & Jack Betts)
* REVENGE OF SARTANA
* RINGO'S MARK OF VENGEANCE
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #13

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
I watched Lola Colt. The audio has frequent drop outs and the audio switches constantly from English to Italian while characters are talking mid-sentence. It was frustrating as hell to watch. The second film, Long Days of Revegne, lol, looks like a VCD transfer blown up to HD. Audio switched over only once in the opening minutes, but other than that, the audio was all in English.

The Blu-ray looks like it was made on someone's home computer rather than look like some company product. No FBI warnings or anything. Just a menu where you can scroll through and click on any of the 25 films. Whoever made this Blu-ray is one shameless mofo. This shouldn't have even been factory pressed. I can understand if you want to back up some DVDs and just take the raw VOB files and throw as many as you can on a BD-R, that's one thing. But, this is absurd.
That's hilarious. I was considering it, but I guess I'll pass. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
So, sort of like those cheapo "Grindhouse Double Features" we got from half a dozen companies who thought that Quentin movie would start a cult trend?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post

Lola Colt is actually quite interesting and pretty enjoyable (having an African American woman (Lola Falana) in the title role in a spaghetti western no less!), sad the transfer is in pretty bad shape on the BD, plus those strange audio drop outs/switching languages, plus that ID mark on the bottom right

Get me wrong, it's cool having these rare films on blu, just not much thought went into the mastering of the disc, "I wanted spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup"

If you want some pretty good inexpensive spaghetti action, the two Mill Creek two-fer blus are pretty solid releases, and gthey are planning some do some more in gthe future

looks like the same company relasesd this:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wu-Tan...Blu-ray/52762/
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #16

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Lola Colt is actually quite interesting and pretty enjoyable (having an African American woman (Lola Falana) in the title role in a spaghetti western no less!), sad the transfer is in pretty bad shape on the BD, plus those strange audio drop outs/switching languages, plus that ID mark on the bottom right

Get me wrong, it's cool having these rare films on blu, just not much thought went into the mastering of the disc, "I wanted spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup"

If you want some pretty good inexpensive spaghetti action, the two Mill Creek two-fer blus are pretty solid releases, and gthey are planning some do some more in gthe future

looks like the same company relasesd this:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wu-Tan...Blu-ray/52762/

I love my spag man. I just might have to get this one even if its a turd.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Is this a BD25 or BD50? I guess either way they're bound to be awful A/V. Thought of picking it up last night for $8 after U&S but now I don't know.
Detective Cameron: I got good news and bad news, girls. The good news is your dates are here.
Sorority Sister: What's the bad news?
Detective Cameron: They're dead.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Is this a BD25 or BD50? I guess either way they're bound to be awful A/V. Thought of picking it up last night for $8 after U&S but now I don't know.
Both Westerns Unchained and Wu Tang: The Iron Fist Collection are BD50 discs. Movies are around 2 GB each.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Loma Linda, CA

So is this worth picking up? 25 films in 1 disc scares me.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
So is this worth picking up? 25 films in 1 disc scares me.
If you care even the slightest bit about quality, then No.
LG SuperBlu BH200

SteelBooks™: 141
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America