COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$11.68
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Automata (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #281
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

My copy was in the mail today. Can't wait to check out the new transfer. Haven't seen the film in a long time. Love the slip cover. Great artwork. Also very nice that (once again) the original poster is available as a cover option, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #282
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
The grainier one. I prefer movies to look like they were shot on actual celluloid film instead of digital video.
Transfers from a new / well preserved and barely used negative will not have that much grain. Really grainy transfers occur when the film is not properly stored or exposed many times (say, while making prints or for optical effects work). Also to my mind, the SF transfer looks to have at least some amount of noise mixed in with grain. I'm no expert at this and would be happy to bow down to more informed opinion, but this is my perception from the screenshots I've seen so far.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #283
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
DFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
My copy was in the mail today. Can't wait to check out the new transfer. Haven't seen the film in a long time. Love the slip cover. Great artwork. Also very nice that (once again) the original poster is available as a cover option, too.
Pictures please!!!!

Edit: nevermind, I thought this was the Halloween digibook thread... Sigh

Last edited by JohnWayne; 09-12-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #284
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Transfers from a new / well preserved and barely used negative will not have that much grain. Really grainy transfers occur when the film is not properly stored or exposed many times (say, while making prints or for optical effects work). Also to my mind, the SF transfer looks to have at least some amount of noise mixed in with grain. I'm no expert at this and would be happy to bow down to more informed opinion, but this is my perception from the screenshots I've seen so far.
It's not from a negative though, it's a perfunctory HD transfer from an IP with minimal dirt clean up (the opticals look quite dirty and scratched, as well they should without any digital massaging). A high res scan from the neg will yield an appreciably finer grain structure, but that was never gonna happen with Shout!'s budget. It is what it is.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #285
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
looks slightly excessive and for example the dark shot of the caveway (a word I just invented) looks overly sharpened?
Bumping up the contrast tends to create more obvious grain, the same way that over-exposing film tends to make the photo grainier. Shout Factory may have gone too far in that direction, but with the Anchor Bay BD being comparatively under-exposed... well, you've just gotta pick your poison on that one.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #286

Nov 2007
NY

I'm torn on this. Was never in love with the previous edition for reasons stated but this one goes too much in the opposite direction. Too strong of a red/magenta push (look at the sky in the helicopter shots) and too much contrast boosting (see the clipped highs on the silver buttons of Rhodes jacket).

It's hard to tell how far they went. It could likely still be an improvement.
Not that I need much of an excuse to triple dip on this.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #287
Special Member

Nov 2007

DVD Beaver is comparing the Arrow release to the Shout Factory one. Is the reason that people keep bringing up the Anchor Bay release because it is the same transfer as the Arrow, or is there another comparison somewhere else?

Regardless, I prefer the Shout Factory transfer to the Arrow, which looks like a smudgy mess by comparison.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #288

Nov 2007
NY

It kinda reminds me of the Robocop transfers.

One too dull and pushed to one color, the other too contrast boosted and pushed to another.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #289
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post
DVD Beaver is comparing the Arrow release to the Shout Factory one. Is the reason that people keep bringing up the Anchor Bay release because it is the same transfer as the Arrow, or is there another comparison somewhere else?

Regardless, I prefer the Shout Factory transfer to the Arrow, which looks like a smudgy mess by comparison.
No, the DVDbeaver review should have compared the Scream BD with the Anchor Bay for a true comparison. The review states however that the Anchor Bay BD is OOP. The Arrow BD is vertically stretched and is inferior to the Anchor Bay, Umbrella and Happinet BD's (imo).
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #290
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post

I don't like the heavy cropping on Shout. Missing information on all sides. Shout also has blown whites and newspapers aren't red like on the 4th comparison

Would like to see the JP disc (highest bitrate on old transfer) vs Shout.

Last edited by wesslan; 09-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #291
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
I don't like the heavy cropping on Shout. Missing information on all sides. Shout also has blown whites and newspapers aren't red like on the 4th comparison
In comparison with the Night of the Living Dead bd, the cropping on this Scream Day bd is pretty mild. It looks to be missing information on three sides, which is noticable, but not a deal breaker to me. I'm curious if this was Shout's doing (and if so, why?) or is it the print they were given. I'm looking forward to getting this next week.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #292
Special Member

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
No, the DVDbeaver review should have compared the Scream BD with the Anchor Bay for a true comparison.
Agreed. I would be most interested in seeing one since I still have the AB disc.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #293
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Mine arrived today without so much of a shipping notice email LOVE IT
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #294
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Prod View Post
It kinda reminds me of the Robocop transfers.

One too dull and pushed to one color, the other too contrast boosted and pushed to another.
I get that same feeling looking at those screenshots. The Arrow discs look lifeless, colorless, and dull. And the image looks rather ugly - seems rather greenish in many screenshots.

Yet the Shout disc looks too red in most shots, and the contrast is definitely a bit too high. And I'm not thrilled with the cropping either - the bottom and both sides are cropped a bit. I'd love to know why, but I'm sure there's likely no valid reason.

Overall I'd say from the screenshots it does look like an improvement, because I hate such a dull, dark, lifeless image like the Arrow disc. But I wish the Shout disc didn't have such a red push to it - I think it's obvious the color push is too much, It still looks a lot nicer overall than the Arrow disc, based on the screenshots anyway. At least it won't be vertically stretched or the audio edited. And I'm looking forward to that long documentary, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #295

Aug 2011

Maybe Day will be the new Night and we'll end up with 5 more versions in the next few years, lol. (Like Night on dvd)
Samsung HLP5674w 56" DLP
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 x2
Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #296
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It's funny that people are complaining about a red push on the new one, 'cause usually it's the other way around in any number of threads (see the Fugitive discussion for the most recent example).

Heck, the Shout! resembles an old-fashioned transfer in some ways thanks to the boosted contrast and ruddy colour - thankfully there's no DNR or EE - but I'm sure if folks sat down and watched it they could live with it.

Me, I enjoyed the movie more than ever. I always liked Day but thought it was too OTT, even for Romero, but I think I finally got what it was trying to say.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #297
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Watched it last night. While the new transfer does not offer new details or better sharpness, it has better colors. They look much more natural. Thankfully the new transfer is free of any DNR & EE. It looks very film like now. I never had so much fun watching Day of the Dead
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #298
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I get that same feeling looking at those screenshots. The Arrow discs look lifeless, colorless, and dull. And the image looks rather ugly - seems rather greenish in many screenshots.

thats the with a lot of UK releases of older movies. gamma correction is really nice in some cases
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #299
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's funny that people are complaining about a red push on the new one, 'cause usually it's the other way around in any number of threads (see the Fugitive discussion for the most recent example).

Heck, the Shout! resembles an old-fashioned transfer in some ways thanks to the boosted contrast and ruddy colour - thankfully there's no DNR or EE - but I'm sure if folks sat down and watched it they could live with it.

Me, I enjoyed the movie more than ever. I always liked Day but thought it was too OTT, even for Romero, but I think I finally got what it was trying to say.
Day has always been my favourite. Dawn is great yeah but Day is the best (and the most repeatable too). It always makes me laugh like an idiot - just too many quotable lines in this film and great characters of course.
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #300
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Day has always been my favourite. Dawn is great yeah but Day is the best (and the most repeatable too). It always makes me laugh like an idiot - just too many quotable lines in this film and great characters of course.
This being the best

NSFW (Prob get deleted)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America