COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fed Up (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Lost Boys (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.79
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #1

Nov 2010
-
-
Default Lord of the Rings Extended Editions (Target Exclusive)

On Sunday November 18th, Target will have the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions available individually, minus discs 3-5. They contain only the movies and the commentaries. They should be on sale for $10 each.

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=l...all+categories

The link above was not added by me. These are the editions I am referring to. The target exclusive versions appear to be in store only. The link above leads to the theatrical editions, not the Target exclusive extended editions that I am talking about.

Last edited by dr. wai; 11-18-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added link, correction
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Hate to say it, but it doesn't sound so exclusive to me, unless you prefer the non-bonus features version.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

I already own the very first EEs on DVD. The bonus DVD discs included in the current Blu-ray box set are the same no?

The Hobbit $ money in these too?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

If the OP is referencing these below, I think these are the two-disc theatrical cuts on Blu-ray, not the extended editions. I noticed when you click on each it says product not available yet. There is a chance though that Target has the wrong image and they are the extended editions, perhaps the website is going through some updating:

Also I believe Amazon will be offering the 15-disc Extended Edition box set that came out in June 2011 for $49.99 next week. They recently had it for $43.99 which I think was the lowest it has been and well worth the money. That box set gets you basically everything you will need if you are a LOTR fan.
K5
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
If the OP is referencing these below, I think these are the two-disc theatrical cuts on Blu-ray, not the extended editions. I noticed when you click on each it says product not available yet. There is a chance though that Target has the wrong image and they are the extended editions, perhaps the website is going through some updating:

Also I believe Amazon will be offering the 15-disc Extended Edition box set that came out in June 2011 for $49.99 next week. They recently had it for $43.99 which I think was the lowest it has been and well worth the money. That box set gets you basically everything you will need if you are a LOTR fan.
best buy is having it for $39.99 on monday and it's been as low as $35 before from frys and walmart
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
best buy is having it for $39.99 on monday and it's been as low as $35 before from frys and walmart
$35 is certainly a steal, even $40 is. I had originally pre-ordered it when Barnes and Noble was running a 50% off coupon which excluded pre-orders but I had found that if you pre-ordered in a store in full, the coupon was accepted so I paid about $40 after tax so I was quite pleased. Did it for the Star Wars boxed set as well and got that for about $45. Damn I miss those deals....
K5
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit29 View Post
I already own the very first EEs on DVD. The bonus DVD discs included in the current Blu-ray box set are the same no?

The Hobbit $ money in these too?
The extras are identical save for one added documentary disc (The Coates documentary) has been added I believe. I've owned both the DVD and BD EE sets and don't remember ever having seen the Coates documentary before the BD. However, my understanding is that said documentary had been released previously on DVD, but not with the EE boxset releases.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post

The only reason why the OP might be right is that Walmart is offering the Extended Editions on DVD, minus the bonus discs with new cover art, for 7.50 a piece in two weeks. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lord-Of-Th...creen/21907408). Exclusive.

It's possible that Target got the BD editions as exclusives.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

Last edited by Jumpman; 11-18-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Jumpman, thanks for explaining that. But, then again, it's not exclusive to Target and he forgot to mention that it comes with Hobbit movie cash. I hate it when people don't post sources on their news. It prevents miscommunication.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Jumpman, thanks for explaining that. But, then again, it's not exclusive to Target and he forgot to mention that it comes with Hobbit movie cash. I hate it when people don't post sources on their news. It prevents miscommunication.
Well, I hope he's right. I was planning on getting those DVD version at Walmart in two weeks but if Target is actually getting these, I'll just get those instead because they're BD.

And yes, I don't need the special features. The commentaries will do just fine.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #11

Nov 2010
-
-
South Korea

Quote:
There is no miscommunication. I work at Target and put these out last night as part of the four day sale leading up to black Friday. Yes, I forgot to mention the Hobbit movie cash, I got into a fight with my boss right before I left, but the rest is true. I don't need to post a source because I am the source. I saw them with my own eyes and even held them in my hand. Sorry to burst your bubble Kemcha, but I provide facts when I post, not some rumor I heard around the net. Also, my news is something not something that everyone already knows about (see: Godzilla vs Biolante thread).

These releases are the extended editions of LOTR without the extras discs, plain and simple. I don't know why it is so hard for you, Kemcha, to understand this.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. wai View Post
There is no miscommunication. I work at Target and put these out last night as part of the four day sale leading up to black Friday. Yes, I forgot to mention the Hobbit movie cash, I got into a fight with my boss right before I left, but the rest is true. I don't need to post a source because I am the source. I saw them with my own eyes and even held them in my hand. Sorry to burst your bubble Kemcha, but I provide facts when I post, not some rumor I heard around the net. Also, my news is something not something that everyone already knows about (see: Godzilla vs Biolante thread).

These releases are the extended editions of LOTR without the extras discs, plain and simple. I don't know why it is so hard for you, Kemcha, to understand this.
Is this a store wide release because I was at Target this morning and all they had was the theatrical cuts for 9.99?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Nov 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Is this a store wide release because I was at Target this morning and all they had was the theatrical cuts for 9.99?
At my store they were on shippers that were located in the clothing department.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
At my store they were on shippers that were located in the clothing department.
Oh. Didn't look over there...
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2011

Do they contain ultraviolet?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Saw these today and can confirm they are the EE with the comm tracks and nothing else. Only on a cardboard rack in the clothing across from the dvd section. All had $5 movie cash for The Hobbit, all on sale for $10. I still passed hoping to find a better deal on the full box, although I'm yet to see a box with movie cash. If I planned to see Hobbit 3 times this would've been perfect, but I only want to see it once in the theater.

Nothing about UltraViolet or any digital copies on the cases.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

DVD release topic in a Blu-ray forum?

Quote:

Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

Jul 2012
SE Michigan

Quote:
DVD release topic in a Blu-ray forum?
Except that these are Blu-ray versions, so, no.
Oh, the horror!
http://thehorrorclub.blogspot.com/

Blu-ray Wishlist:
- Salem's Lot (1979), Suspiria (1977), Spartan (2004), It (1990), Cemetery Man (1994), Nighthawks (1981), The Hitcher (1986).
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

hmmm...this is tempting since i already own the dvd ext. ed with all the extra dvd stuff. do these come with slips? i just really like the look of the box set.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #20

Nov 2008

I was planning on getting the extended trilogy at Best Buy for $39.99 but don't know now. The differences are one is a box set and have extras while the other is individual cases and no extras. I am not concern about extras as I have the extras on the DVD extended sets (minus the Costa Botes documentaries). I guess it comes down to is the extra $10 worth the Costa Botes documentaries and a box housing the movies.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America