COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Honeymooners:
$62.91

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Misawa, Japan
Default Samsara coming to Blu-ray!!! Could this be true!!!

Samsara Blu-ray

Samsara Blu-ray Review

From the creator of Baraka and Chronos Ron Fricke's Samsara is available for pre-order on Blu-ray with a released date 8 January 2013!!! Filmed in 25 countries/5 continents over a 4-5 year span. The 65mm negative of the film/movie was scanned in at 8k and then reduced to 4k for the 70mm theatrical release prints.

I was unable to see this in the theaters but I expect this will be nothing but phenomenal on Blu-ray!!!!!!

Other Samsara links:
Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsara_%282011_film%29
IMDB- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770802/
Rotten Tomatoes- http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/samsara_2012/
YouTube-
BarakaSamsara.com- http://barakasamsara.com/samsara/about
SpiritofBaraka.com- http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/samsara
Current Home Theater setup

Consoles- PS3 60GB, XBox 360 Elite 250GB CoD:MW2 Ed, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, SNES and NES
Speakers- Klipsch RC-64 II, x2 RF-7 II and x4 KL-650 THX. Yamaha YST-RSW300. x2 Definitive Technology SuperCube 6000. x2 Theater Solutions SUB15D.

Yamaha RX-V1900 / Epson 8700UB Projector / Oppo BDP-93 / Gaming PC

Last edited by Deciazulado; 04-10-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Suspended

Jul 2010

I am actually not very excited for this Blu.

I have heard from several people who have said after watching this in theaters (70mm) it looses a lot of its luster in home viewing.
City Is My Church
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post

I have heard from several people who have said after watching this in theaters (70mm) it looses a lot of its luster in home viewing.
70mm films look great on blu!!

Yeah, it's not the theatrical experience, but it's the next best thing. Do you have Baraka on blu? It's a demonstration quality disc.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
70mm films look great on blu!!

Yeah, it's not the theatrical experience, but it's the next best thing. Do you have Baraka on blu? It's a demonstration quality disc.
I think Arrow are re-releasing Baraka as well, here is hoping we get a new print with no DNR, artificial sharpening and compression artefact's..........but it still looks great.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Aug 2008
Misawa, Japan

I unfortunately have never been able to see these in the theater but I can only image how wonderful they would look after seeing Baraka on Blu-ray
Current Home Theater setup

Consoles- PS3 60GB, XBox 360 Elite 250GB CoD:MW2 Ed, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, SNES and NES
Speakers- Klipsch RC-64 II, x2 RF-7 II and x4 KL-650 THX. Yamaha YST-RSW300. x2 Definitive Technology SuperCube 6000. x2 Theater Solutions SUB15D.

Yamaha RX-V1900 / Epson 8700UB Projector / Oppo BDP-93 / Gaming PC
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle
Default Very

I am very excited about this release. I owned Baraka and it was incredible. Then I saw Samsara at the Seattle Cinerama and it smoked Baraka!

In four weeks this is gonna be a great great Blu to buy.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

damn wish I would have seen this before I used my Amazon $5 off $25
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

This one isn't anywhere near as good as Baraka or Chronos (their previous projects). This one delves more into material that tries to push certain agendas onto its viewers. Their previous films (mentioned above) were very much "observation for the viewer to make up their own minds." This one crosses the line multiple times in trying to tell you what you should think. Not a fan of the manipulative nature of this one. I'll be happy without it in my collection.

P.S. However... this will look F-ING PHENOMENAL on Blu-ray!!!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #9

Feb 2011
North Hollywood, CA

The transfer looks absolutely amazing. No DNR or EE like on Baraka. Only a clear and film like image.

I feel like Baraka needs another remaster now.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 12-21-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:

actually this wasn't released in 70mm - it was only distributed in 35mm, 2K and 4K DCP.

Along with the amazing visuals, I hope the bluray has the 7.1 audio mix that was featured as such in the theaters, 96kHz audio would be the icing on the cake too!!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:

Well, in all fairness, every 70mm will lose some "luster" on BD, has it can't match the exact resolution...how much could be a matter of opinion.

I know I'm looking forward to seeing this!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
This one isn't anywhere near as good as Baraka or Chronos (their previous projects). This one delves more into material that tries to push certain agendas onto its viewers. Their previous films (mentioned above) were very much "observation for the viewer to make up their own minds." This one crosses the line multiple times in trying to tell you what you should think. Not a fan of the manipulative nature of this one. I'll be happy without it in my collection.

P.S. However... this will look F-ING PHENOMENAL on Blu-ray!!!
Like most agenda driven films, I like to formulate my own opinion. As you said, I think most are in this for the stunning technical merits it puts forth...not the creator's agenda.
Heck every news article you read could be an editor's agenda. Every news show you watch is a producers agenda. Every commercial you watch is a marketing agenda.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Review up over on dvdactive

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/samsara.html
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Like most agenda driven films, I like to formulate my own opinion. As you said, I think most are in this for the stunning technical merits it puts forth...not the creator's agenda.
Heck every news article you read could be an editor's agenda. Every news show you watch is a producers agenda. Every commercial you watch is a marketing agenda.
Having seen the film myself, the film definitely tries to take advantage of juxtaposition. But I never truly felt that it explicitly was trying to push a political or social agenda. That two relatively unrelated clips could be placed together and create an emotional response represents the creator's primary goal, to create a movie without any words without it just being a travelogue.
You as the viewer can choose to see an attempt to shape your political views... Or you can see it as simply saying "The world is so big, and yet so small. Things can be so different... And yet at the same time totally the same." The film is very interesting and the visuals are stunning.

If some people are ok with buying Transformers 2 for the PQ while not paying attention to the plot... I think there's even more reason to pick up Samsara. It's likely to have some of the best PQ out there, and there's no plot or story at all. Just a unifying theme.

But just a disclaimer: with Baraka I think the saddest things you saw were ruins, skulls, etc. But Samsara has quite a bit more "disturbing" imagery that do make certain segments hard to watch. It's definitely a darker film, though it ends on a very positive note.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
But just a disclaimer: with Baraka I think the saddest things you saw were ruins, skulls, etc. But Samsara has quite a bit more "disturbing" imagery that do make certain segments hard to watch. It's definitely a darker film, though it ends on a very positive note.
Well can you please tell me a bit about those scenes? I dont mind anything spoiled about it. I want to know about such things before watching this movie. Thanks!
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #16

Dec 2010
MA, USA

I saw Samsara in 4K version in an AMC theater in Boston. Great for a cinema, but I was not blown away. I feel watching Baraka on my JVC DILA projector (RS40) with a 115" 2.35:1 screen is a better experience, so I expect Samsara will best the theater experience as well. Even though the resolution is technically 4 times lower.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2008
The £كا
Question

I've never noticed any DNR, EE, artificial sharpening, etc. of any kind while watching Baraka. Could someone please give me an indication of what times these instances occur so that I can see it for myself?
I'm not doubting it, I just have always watched in awe as Baraka unfolded before my eyes.
Even the review on this site neglects to mention any forms of image manipulation.

Looking forward to Samsara and hoping the AQ is nearly as impressive as Baraka!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #18

Feb 2010

I'm really looking forward to this on blu!

Unfortunately, I DID see it in the theaters and it was a terrible experience. I caught it at the Fiesta Five in Santa Barbara while on vacation in October and one of the right speakers was fuzzy/buzzing the whole time and the print itself was terrible. Full of lines on one side and bad sound. It just goes to show that the big screen isn't always the best.

I can't wait to see it at home.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh76 View Post
I'm really looking forward to this on blu!

Unfortunately, I DID see it in the theaters and it was a terrible experience. I caught it at the Fiesta Five in Santa Barbara while on vacation in October and one of the right speakers was fuzzy/buzzing the whole time and the print itself was terrible. Full of lines on one side and bad sound. It just goes to show that the big screen isn't always the best.

I can't wait to see it at home.
that's horrible - I assume that you saw a 35mm print and not a digital presentation - I would have complained to the theater's manager.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
Well can you please tell me a bit about those scenes? I dont mind anything spoiled about it. I want to know about such things before watching this movie. Thanks!
The scenes that really struck me were:

[Show spoiler]
Any scenes that involved the food industry. There isn't anything violent or gory, but it is kind of disturbing seeing what happens to farm animals. Though it's all kept PG, I personally felt a bit uncomfortable.

Following a sequence that shows American's gun culture, they cut to a portrait of a war veteran who was horribly scarred, I'm guessing from burns. I believe he has received multiple skin grafts. It's very disturbing to me, since films rarely show the ways that war can physically change people.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
70mm, baraka, chronos, ron fricke, samsara