Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
8 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #1481
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Thanks for the comparison. I was uncertain if they used the original elements to build the planet shots in the remaster of this episode or not. It's clear now that they did. It's also a little unsettling to see the Enterprise orbiting "backwards".
No problem.

What do you mean?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." - Richard Dawkins

"Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one." - Richard Dawkins

See my animation thread here
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #1482

Apr 2012

I loved Q's Mariachi band at the end of Deja Q, and of course Data's laugh.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1483
Power Member

Sep 2010
France

I'm quite surprised that CBS encoded BOBW at such a low bitrate especially since there is so much free disc space. But it seems that, fortunately, it doesn't generate any PQ issue.
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrate; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1484
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
I'm quite surprised that CBS encoded BOBW at such a low bitrate especially since there is so much free disc space. But it seems that, fortunately, it doesn't generate any PQ issue.
What is PQ?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." - Richard Dawkins

"Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one." - Richard Dawkins

Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #1485
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2005 View Post
What is PQ?
Picture quality. He's saying that the BOBW disc only has 18.7 GB of data on it, so there's about 4.5 GB of free space on that disc (BOBW itself is only 14.1 GB) -- more than enough room for the 15 minute "The Trek Not Taken" VAM in full HD. Instead we have to watch it in crappy standard def through CinemaNow.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #1486

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatrek View Post
Gates McFadden was wearing a wig, so that part doesn't matter.
Wig or not, it's odd to see her hair in dramatically different lengths from episode to episode, especially when it goes from being short on one episode and then about 8 inches plus longer in the next.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #1487
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mal View Post
Wig or not, it's odd to see her hair in dramatically different lengths from episode to episode, especially when it goes from being short on one episode and then about 8 inches plus longer in the next.
Women don't use hair extensions in the future? It's all Mot's fault
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #1488
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatrek View Post
Gates McFadden was wearing a wig, so that part doesn't matter.
I think she always wore a wig in the series - hair was too fine or something. but it is funny how her hair changes from episode to episode. with the way her hair grew, makes you wonder how Picard went bald.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #1489

Apr 2006

Quote:
No problem.

What do you mean?
"Mirror, Mirror" is the only other episode of the entire franchise where I recall the Enterprise oriented from right to left orbiting a planet (orbiting clockwise, headed toward the left side of the screen). I think it's in the commentary somewhere that Roddenberry preferred having the Enterprise headed toward the right side of the screen. He thought that made it look more like it was going "out there".
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #1490

Oct 2006
Chicago

Who Watches The Watchers looks like it was shot yesterday!! Absolutely beautiful episode!!
Pioneer Kuro 6020-FD, Oppo BDP-93, Marantz SR-7005, Emotiva XPA-3, Klipsch RC-62 Center, Klipsch RF-62 L&R, Velodyne DLS-5000-R Subwoofer, Polk Audio Monitor 40 Surrounds, DarbeeVision Video Processor,TiVO Premier, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Wii U, Apple TV

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-Sucker Punch
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #1491
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
"Mirror, Mirror" is the only other episode of the entire franchise where I recall the Enterprise oriented from right to left orbiting a planet (orbiting clockwise, headed toward the left side of the screen). I think it's in the commentary somewhere that Roddenberry preferred having the Enterprise headed toward the right side of the screen. He thought that made it look more like it was going "out there".
Hmmm, hadn't really noticed, haha.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #1492
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Basic filmmaking techniques. Not limited to STAR TREK.

Left to right - leaving/going somewhere. Right to left - returning.

Not everyone follows these rules but once you see it you notice it in everything.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #1493

Jan 2012

New TrekCore feature: Inside TNG's Visual Effects: "The Bonding" - with info on a missing FX element!

Last edited by Blue Nova; 05-09-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #1494

Mar 2013

Did Brent Spiner wear a wig too? Just something I've always wondered because his hair never gets messed up.

Something I wonder about Who Watches the Watches is, wouldn't Dr. Crusher be the one to get in trouble for breaking the prime directive rather than Picard? I think that's my favorite episode so far.

I'm loving this show on bluray I think I might have to get Season 1 and 2 which I skipped.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1495

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Did Brent Spiner wear a wig too? Just something I've always wondered because his hair never gets messed up.
Nope, he just had his hair slicked back with a ton of product to keep it in place.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #1496

Jul 2007
Tucson, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mal View Post
I was wondering what was up with her hair in this season. She has short hair, then her hair is really long in the 6th or 7th episode, then it is short again in the next episode. I was wondering if that episode was shot first then she cut her hair and shot the rest of the season 3 episodes??? Her hair does get slightly longer as the season goes on. Really weird.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #1497

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkev1701 View Post
I was wondering what was up with her hair in this season. She has short hair, then her hair is really long in the 6th or 7th episode, then it is short again in the next episode. I was wondering if that episode was shot first then she cut her hair and shot the rest of the season 3 episodes??? Her hair does get slightly longer as the season goes on. Really weird.
I'm wondering if they weren't just testing out different wig lengths and the episodes got out of production order, so it bounced around a lot. You wouldn't notice week-to-week, but you notice it watching the episodes one right after the other. They must have settled on a length by mid-season and slowly began lengthening it out from there. But, if I remember correctly, in season 4 they kept it shorter and then went long for the rest of the series. I honestly would never have known it wasn't a wig if it hadn't been said.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #1498
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Well, my Season 3 blu-rays won't play in the actual blu-ray player or my dad's computer... :/

Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #1499
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
during the series it was his but not so sure about the movies. it looks like he has a decent head of hair still but I wonder if they padded the front a little to keep it looking right. can't have an android with thinning hair. I do believe though that Westmore did both the make-up for Spiner and McFadden's hair during the series.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #1500
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Well, my Season 3 blu-rays won't play in the actual blu-ray player or my dad's computer... :/
You may need a firmware upgrade. What Blu-ray player are you using?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America