Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
13 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #1481
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
You may need a firmware upgrade. What Blu-ray player are you using?
Well, the player in the computer is an ASUS BC-12B1ST... and the set-top player is a Magnavox NB500MGX...
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." - Richard Dawkins

"Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one." - Richard Dawkins

See my animation thread here
Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #1482
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2005 View Post
Well, the player in the computer is an ASUS BC-12B1ST... and the set-top player is a Magnavox NB500MGX...
Check your current firmware version for the Magnavox player through the menu. Here is the download page for new firmwares (you may already have the most recent one already because it's from 2009):

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/Firmwares.aspx

And the support page for the computer drive:

https://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/...pport_Download

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; 05-10-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #1483
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Check your current firmware version for the Magnavox player through the menu. Here is the download page for new firmwares (you may already have the most recent one already because it's from 2009):

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/Firmwares.aspx

And the support page for the computer drive:

https://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/...pport_Download
I went through every screen on the player, there was nothing about the firmware version...

My dad's computer doesn't have Windows 8... there's nothing else there... :/
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." - Richard Dawkins

"Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one." - Richard Dawkins

Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1484
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
I went through every screen on the player, there was nothing about the firmware version...

My dad's computer doesn't have Windows 8... there's nothing else there... :/
Try step one in this guide:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8669748_upda...ay-player.html
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #1485
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Alright, it says 1.007...

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #1486
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Alright, it says 1.007...
That's encouraging since the new firmware is v1.010. Give it a try.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #1487
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
That's encouraging since the new firmware is v1.010. Give it a try.
How do I update it, it doesn't appear to have a USB port, that I can see, it has an SD card slot though...

Also, it says it's E5K2OUD.

Last edited by Chris2005; 05-10-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #1488

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post
Who Watches The Watchers looks like it was shot yesterday!! Absolutely beautiful episode!!
Agreed, that episode does look very good.

Watching this season overall it is very inconsistent. Yesterday's enterprise, though is better than the next generation movies, other than first contact.

I downloaded a season two episode off Apple TV and it doesn't look as good as Blu-ray but there's usually not a huge difference. The Blu-ray quality of these episodes is so much better than the grainy downloaded version of these episodes from season 2.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #1489
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
How do I update it, it doesn't appear to have a USB port, that I can see, it has an SD card slot though...

Also, it says it's E5K2OUD.
I believe you have to burn it to a CD-R. Follow the guide on the Funai page I linked to.

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/Fi...gradeHelp.aspx
Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #1490
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
I believe you have to burn it to a CD-R. Follow the guide on the Funai page I linked to.
I tried, I get an error when I try to burn it to the CD with ImgBurn...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #1491
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
I tried, I get an error when I try to burn it to the CD with ImgBurn...
Instead of ImgBurn, try these steps from the guide:

Quote:
Find the BIN File you extracted to the location outlined in Step 4. Right click on the Item, Select "SEND TO" and Select your CD or DVD Drive.

Open My Computer, right click on your DVD or CD ROM drive and select "WRITE THESE FILES TO CD"

Follow the prompts provided by the CD Writing Wizard.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #1492
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Instead of ImgBurn, try these steps from the guide:
That did the trick, it's updating right now... now I need to figure out how to update my dad's BD computer drive...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #1493
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
That did the trick, it's updating right now... now I need to figure out how to update my dad's BD computer drive...
Cool. See if you can even launch the Windows 8 update. I'm sure if it's truly incompatible it will tell you.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot to ask you... are you saying the TNG discs don't even show up in Windows (i.e. when you open the disc and view the folder structure)... or are you simply saying that your software player doesn't play the discs? If that's the case you need to update the software player.

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; 05-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #1494
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
Cool. See if you can even launch the Windows 8 update. I'm sure if it's truly incompatible it will tell you.
Well, right now, my little brother is on my dad's computer...

As for the set-top player, the update was successful, but it still won't play any of the discs...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #1495
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Well, right now, my little brother is on my dad's computer...

As for the set-top player, the update was successful, but it still won't play any of the discs...
See my edit above.

As for the Magnavox player, I'm guessing this is the first time you've had a problem playing any of the TNG discs? The S1 and S2 discs play just fine? Because I don't believe there are any new AACS encryption keys needed to launch these S3 discs (beginning with S1 they started using the updated keys). My Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-ray player says there's a new firmware update available, but the discs play fine on it without upgrading. Same with my PS3. I have 4.30 firmware (spoofing to 4.31 actually) and they play fine on there too.

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; 05-10-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #1496
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
See my edit above.

As for the Magnavox player, I'm guessing this is the first time you've had a problem playing any of the TNG discs? The S1 and S2 discs play just fine? Because I don't believe there are any new AACS encryption keys needed to launch these S3 discs (beginning with S1 they started using the updated keys). My Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-ray player says there's a new firmware update available, but the discs play fine on it without upgrading. Same with my PS3. I have 4.30 firmware (spoofing to 4.31 actually) and they play fine on there too.
I haven't bought Season 1 or 2 yet on blu-ray... I bought 11001001 from Amazon streaming... this is the first time I've had a problem playing a blu-ray in it though...

The disc name shows up in Computer, it loads in the drive, it just won't play, in VLC and I downloaded PowerDVD 13 trial and gave it a try and it still didn't play...

Last edited by Chris2005; 05-10-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #1497
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
I haven't bought Season 1 or 2 yet on blu-ray... I bought 11001001 from Amazon streaming... this is the first time I've had a problem playing a blu-ray in it though...
That's it then. Your Magnavox player doesn't have the new encryption keys necessary to unlock the discs and play them. Since Funai hasn't bothered to update the firmware since 2009, I'm afraid you'll have to find another Blu-ray player. It sucks, I know. I had to wait to play the S1 discs on my PS3 for months and months until a new custom firmware came out that could decrypt the new keys.

Quote:
The disc name shows up in Computer, it loads in the drive, it just won't play, in VLC and I downloaded PowerDVD 13 trial and gave it a try and it still didn't play...
Okay. Then don't bother trying to update the drive's firmware. It's definitely a software player issue. Try another software player, like ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater or something else.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #1498
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

My ratings on this season so far. Hope others will continue to chime in with their ratings. Makes interesting reading, because it shows how different people will rate the same episode in very different ways. And everyone, in a sense, is of course "right" for themselves....

Evolution: B
The Ensigns of Command: B+
The Survivors: C
Who Watches the Watchers: B-
The Bonding: C+
Booby Trap: B-
The Enemy: B+
The Price: B-
The Vengeance Factor: B-
The Defector: A
The Hunted: B+
The High Ground: A-
Deja Q: C
A Matter of Perspective: C
Yesterday's Enterprise: A
The Offspring: A

The Offspring still works. Wonderfully written by Rene Echevarria, and solidly directed by Jonathan Frakes. This and Yesterday's Enterprise show what Star Trek can do. The variety of stories they could tell on this show was quite a big larger than most shows on TV, for these episodes are both excellent, and yet quite different from one another.

PS Keep your kleenex handy for this one.

Last edited by benbess; 05-10-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #1499
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
The Offspring still works. Wonderfully written by Rene Echevarria, and solidly directed by Jonathan Frakes. This and Yesterday's Enterprise show what Star Trek can do. The variety of stories they could tell on this show was quite a big larger than most shows on TV, for these episodes are both excellent, and yet quite different from one another.

PS Keep your kleenex handy for this one.
Definitely listen to the new commentaries for both episodes. Echevarria goes into some detail about how different his original spec "Bloodlines" was to the final episode (and how it was eventually rewritten by Melinda Snodgrass and Michael Piller). Ron Moore and Ira Behr are great together on the "Yesterday's Enterprise" commentary as well. Great anecdotes from the both of them, great stories. And they don't just restrict themselves to talking about "Yesterday's Enterprise." Moore's commentary on "The Bonding" is great as well... it's really more about his time on TNG in general.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #1500
Expert Member

Jul 2012
West Columbia, SC

Quote:
That's it then. Your Magnavox player doesn't have the new encryption keys necessary to unlock the discs and play them. Since Funai hasn't bothered to update the firmware since 2009, I'm afraid you'll have to find another Blu-ray player. It sucks, I know. I had to wait to play the S1 discs on my PS3 for months and months until a new custom firmware came out that could decrypt the new keys.

Okay. Then don't bother trying to update the drive's firmware. It's definitely a software player issue. Try another software player, like ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater or something else.
Yea, can't be simple like DVD's...

Well, after doing all the hoopla to get blu-rays to play in VLC, I get the same AACS decoder error... so VLC or PowerDVD don't work... I can't seem to find any good free (not trialware) software

I'll give ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater a try...

Last edited by Chris2005; 05-10-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America