Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
5 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
Default The Great Gatsby (1974) - 4/23/13

Looks like Warner will be releasing The Great Gatsby on 4/23/13, as part of their deal with Paramount.

The Great Gatsby Blu-ray

Last edited by MifuneFan; 02-15-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Is this based on something concrete (a BB releasea date or something?) because this would be pretty cool.

I'm only in half-interested in the title itself but would be very interested in confirmation that Warner will be distributing previously unreleased Paramount titles.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

It is listed on Best Buy. It does make sense too since the remake is coming in May.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

This just got interesting then.

Edit: The more I think about this the more exciting it gets. I don't want to turn this into a Paramount wishlist thread but if this can just pop up unannounced on a release schedule then pretty much anything is fair game.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross

Last edited by octagon; 12-05-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

I found about 20 more titles on Bestbuy.com that are WB re-releases. They are going to be sending out nearly 70 titles next month.

I do hope we get a few more "new" catalog titles like this one for January.
Welcome to blu-ray.com, where slipcovers are more important than Blu-rays.
MY HDNA
LG 55" 1080p LED 55LN5700
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

This must be the version we all watched in highschool English class in the 90s. I was too busy talking with my best friend in the back of class to know if this was legitimately good. Redford right?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Originally Posted by West E View Post
This must be the version we all watched in highschool English class in the 90s. I was too busy talking with my best friend in the back of class to know if this was legitimately good. Redford right?
Yes, the Robert Redford version. It's a decent film and if it gets a new master will easily be worth $10 on BD.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yes, the Robert Redford version. It's a decent film and if it gets a new master will easily be worth $10 on BD.
Cool. I'll preorder. Ive been into the 20s culture lately.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Cool. I'll preorder. Ive been into the 20s culture lately.
I think the film is better if Fitegerald's book is read beforehand. Just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Banned

Jun 2009

They wanna cross-promote/cash-in since there's a re-make being released in May.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
The film famously has a brilliant script by the great Francis Ford Coppola, near-perfect casting with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, stunning production design and then, incomprehensibly, completely pedestrian direction by some no-name Brit who was never heard from again. Shame. A wasted opportunity.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Paramount already was planning this bd for this Fall because the remake was coming out. That release then got postponed when the film got pushed back.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I think the film is better if Fitegerald's book is read beforehand. Just my opinion.
Yes. THE Great American Novel, or at least as strong a claim as any has to such.

I've been really into the Roaring Twenties too recently, and had been planning to go through The Great Gatsby in time for the movie this month. But since it was pushed back I've added a couple more Fitzgeralds to my reading slate and will finish Gatsby by the summer. I certainly don't go through books as quickly as my movies.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Power Member

Feb 2008

With no formal announcement yet, I won't be surprised to see this released in late April/early May instead of January.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

that's what I'm thinking also.
it will be interesting to see if the UK bd comes out when it is supposed to because it has an actual date and pre-order on amazon.uk I believe.
EDIT: it just shows a generic pre-order now. I swear it had a date at one time.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemach View Post
Unfortunately I feel we're heading unto similar waters with the upcoming Gatsby.
I agree. I loved MOULIN ROUGE!, but GATSBY looks garish and grating, and DiCaprio looks 10 years too old and 20 pounds too heavy for the role.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Augusta, GA

Quote:
LOL... Just seeing the thread title immediately took me back to AP lit in High School. We read the book, and watched the movie. This movie has always had a special place in my heart, along with another HS Lit favorite, Romeo & Juliet (not the Leonardo Dicaprio version)...

Will definitely be adding this one to my wishlist, for $15 or less....
My growing collection:
#1 - Juno (2/29/12) :: #100 - Easy A (4/7/12)
#200 - Simpsons Movie (4/27/12) :: #300 - North by Northwest (5/28/12)
#400 - The Corpse Bride (11/02/12) :: #500 - A Bug's Life (1/3/13)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #18

Oct 2008
Dallas, TX

Quote:
The film famously has a brilliant script by the great Francis Ford Coppola, near-perfect casting with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, stunning production design and then, incomprehensibly, completely pedestrian direction by some no-name Brit who was never heard from again. Shame. A wasted opportunity.
Not to be all schoolmarmish or anything, but Jack Clayton was hardly a "no-name Brit who was never heard from again." Clayton was a quite well-known and respected director with a few classics to his credit (The Innocents, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne).

IMDB
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipemonkey View Post
Not to be all schoolmarmish or anything, but Jack Clayton was hardly a "no-name Brit who was never heard from again." Clayton was a quite well-known and respected director with a few classics to his credit (The Innocents, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne).

IMDB
I wouldn't call it being 'schoolmarmish' at all - anyone who dismisses Jack Clayton that way deserves to be corrected, though Clayton does shoulder much of the blame for the movie's failure. The adaptation is also greatly damaged by the terrible casting - Redford plays Gatsby as bland and aloof, Farrow's sex appeal (so central to Daisy's persona) is non-existent, and I'm still scratching my head over the choice of Bruce Dern as Tom.

Last edited by NoirFan; 12-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipemonkey View Post
Clayton was a quite well-known and respected director with a few classics to his credit (The Innocents, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne).
Also the highly acclaimed Room at the Top and The Pumpkin Eater. So yeah, I do think a brief cinema history lesson is in order for Mr. Luckard.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America