Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
18 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

John Adams (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #181
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Can anyone who has the 1999 DVD that has the orignal more natural colour timing for the exorcism scenes please post a picture or 2? Because I have only ever seen this film with the blue tint that was later added to those scenes.
The link is right above your post.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...less=1#auswahl
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #182
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Now I want the Original Untouched Theatrical Cut on Blu.

The Remixes are cool, but still.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #183
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Now I want the Original Untouched Theatrical Cut on Blu.

The Remixes are cool, but still.
isnt the original untouched already out? i thought the digibook came with the original and the extended
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #184
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
isnt the original untouched already out? i thought the digibook came with the original and the extended
Read back a page or two.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eChopper View Post
it has been re-scanned at 4k resolution

it'll look much better than the existing transfer
They should have scanned the camera negative at 8K and mastered at 4K at least.

I will be one of the (seemingly) few people that will be double dipping. I don't know whether I should get rid of the digibook though. If they release a two-disc set on a regular Blu-ray case, then I'll swtich around the discs.

I wonder if the grain will be noticeable during darker scenes (like when Chris is discussing with the two doctor's after Regan's first explicit episode). Hopefully there will be little to no grain because it will be a digital transfer.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #186
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
They should have scanned the camera negative at 8K and mastered at 4K at least.

I will be one of the (seemingly) few people that will be double dipping. I don't know whether I should get rid of the digibook though. If they release a two-disc set on a regular Blu-ray case, then I'll swtich around the discs.

I wonder if the grain will be noticeable during darker scenes (like when Chris is discussing with the two doctor's after Regan's first explicit episode). Hopefully there will be little to no grain because it will be a digital transfer.
It's 35mm, no reason to scan at 8K when 6K is about the max for that size film.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #187
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
just to confirm that there are actually 4 different versions of the Exorcist

original 1973 cinema release (red WB logo) - this is long out of print on DVD. lucky i own this

25th Anniversary cinema release (used for 25th Anniversay DVD and Blu-ray) - New WB logo and smooths out the jump cut with CGI

'The Version You've Never Seen' Director's Cut (as seen in Cinemas and released on DVD)

'The Version You've Never Seen' Director's Cut (slightly altered for the Blu-ray by removing a few of the subliminal images)

there are colour timing differences as well between the releases. will try to fish the info out and get back
I think the new release should have these two bolded Versions of The Exorcist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
I never watched this version on the blu because I hated the subliminal flashes of the demon face on the vent-a-hood in the kitchen and so forth... those are missing on the blu?

I also noticed that the Director's Cut on Blu-ray had less of the cheesy subliminal images than were included on the DVD (and original 25th Aniv. theatrical release). I think that the less they add in to it, subliminal and CGI-wise, the better. I love that there is more footage included in the Director's Cut, but I don't love the added in CGI and subliminal images.

As for color timing, I think the original theatrical version on Blu-ray should have the original logo and original color timing. The Director's Cut however could have whatever color timing Friedkin and the cinematographer want, since it's his cut. But the more they make it look like the theatrical, the better I guess.

As long as no CGI is added in (apart from the Spiderwalk scene, which I understand is the only way they could make it work for release).
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #188
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
The Theatrical soundmix was also altered a little bit for the 25th anniversary rerelease when it was remixed into 5.1. A few sound effects such as the demon Pazuzu shouting Merrin's name during the Iraq sequence when he's facing the statue, the weird bee humming sound when Chris is checking on Regan when we first meet them and the door knocking sounds during the crucifix scene when Sharon and the caretakers are trying to get into Regans room were deleted. Also the original red and white Warner Bros. logo has been replaced too over the years. I hope this helped lol.
I didn't know they deleted bits from the original audio track...
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #189
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Blu-21 I'll take some screenshots tonight and post them tomorrow.
Thanks mate.

Last edited by Blu-21; 03-19-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #190
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Here's some screencaps of the exorcism scenes from the 1997 region 1 DVD. Those capsaholic pics are from the 25th anniversary release with the added blue tint. It seemed to have changed to a more aqua/teal tint on the Blu-Ray though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-03-17-22h28m30s27.jpg (15.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-03-17-22h29m38s195.jpg (11.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-03-17-22h29m56s111.jpg (13.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-03-17-22h30m32s243.jpg (12.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2013-03-17-22h30m51s182.jpg (10.8 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 03-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #191
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

TheHighRoller, yeah they were deleted for some reason. That's why the original mono track should be included on this new release for the theatrical cut, so that the original sound mix is preserved alongside any remixes that we get. Preferably in lossless too. You can still hear some of those sound effects though if you switch to one of the international mono tracks on the current Blu-Ray.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 03-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #192
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun123 View Post
I'm hoping they correct it with this new release, I'd also like to see it with the original Warner logo and colour scheme (the exorcism scenes on the laserdisc were definitely not blue, they were more natural looking and more eerie and the same as the old print I saw in the cinema back in 1990)
I'll go on record right now: I will rebuy The Exorcist for the...fifth...sixth (?) time if they get the colour of the exorcism scenes right. I can still remember my sense of confusion the first time I saw the "new" (now old) colour scheme. "Where's the blue light source?" So much for "documentary realism".

But if they include the original audio, the original logo, and the Karras/demon jump-cut, so much the better. It's all part of the experience. Presumably guys like us are their market, and -- if anyone from the company is reading this out there -- this is what it will take to get my money yet again. Otherwise I want no part of it. Extras shmextras. Commentary shmommentary. Footage Shmootage.

But then, it's Warner Bros., so I can't see them going to the trouble when the digibook theatrical release was otherwise pretty damn good.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #193

Jun 2011
Default I'm in agreement....

with most of what the rest of you fans are expecting on a re-release. A 4K scan edition will not make me bite. However if the original warner logo, the tint correction during the exorcism, as well as the original soundtrack are part of the package then I may bite. I would expect a bevy of extras as well since this is a 40th anniversary edition.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #194
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

In my opinion, this new release should be all out and overkill if Warner Bros. want people to buy it on Blu-Ray all over again, the last release was really well received as it is. Heck they should throw in The Exorcist III while they're at it, criminally underrated film and the only sequel/prequel in the series that's near the same level as the 1st film, not to mention it's the only film in the series other the 1st one that was created by Blatty himself. The novels of both films are a good read.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 03-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #195
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
TheHighRoller, yeah they were deleted for some reason. That's why the original mono track should be included on this new release for the theatrical cut, so that the original sound mix is preserved alongside any remixes that we get. Preferably in lossless too. You can still hear some of those sound effects though if you switch to one of the international mono tracks on the current Blu-Ray.
Having both a lossless 5.1 and the original mono sound track in lossless is a possibility. The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D Blu-ray has two lossless tracks in 5.1, and then some more in lossy 5.1. That's way more audio information on one disc than the two Exorcist sound mixes would take up on a same-sized disc.

And since The Exorcist's original mono sound track is, well, mono- it shouldn't take up much space even if it's included in 24-Bit.

I think that's the best way for Warner Bros. to release the theatrical version: with lossless audio for both the original mono and 5.1 mixes, original color-timing, and the original logo. The Karras jump cut would be cool as well, but it's for about a second, so I don't *really* mind. But the more it is like the original theatrical release, the better.

Then they could include a second disc with the Director's cut. Hopefully with the subliminal images and Regan's GCI face taken out of this edition (during the hypno scene). By "subliminal images" I obviously mean the cheesy things added in for the original 25th Anniversary Director's Cut. I'm totally fine with the subliminal footage of Captain Howdy added in though (like when Regan is at the doctor's office- that footage wasn't in the original theatrical cut).

And they should even include a third disc, and have all of the extras on there (to save space on the film discs for PQ and AQ). They should also include all of the trailers scanned in HD, and any deleted footage that wasn't included due to missing sound tracks, also in HD. They could add subtitles in it's place. The footage I'm referring to is partly available on the Exorcist documentary.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #196
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

I agree with everything you've just said, I only wish someone from Warner Bros. would read these forums and take notes on what the fans want in the set. I'd buy the set you've described in a heartbeat. I'll probably be double dipping anyway, despite how much I hate doing it. It is The Exorcist after all lol. This release is the best time for Warner Bros. to go all out with this film, seeing as it's an anniversary release and it'll probably be the last time it's released on this format as well.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 03-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #197

Jan 2013
Parts Unknown

Quote:
In my opinion, this new release should be all out and overkill if Warner Bros. want people to buy it on Blu-Ray all over again, the last release was really well received as it is. Heck they should throw in The Exorcist III while they're at it, criminally underrated film and the only sequel/prequel in the series that's near the same level as the 1st film, not to mention it's the only film in the series other the 1st one that was created by Blatty himself. The novels of both films are a good read.
Throwing in Exorcist 3 would be a great idea and worthy of a double dip for me.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #198
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappa View Post
Throwing in Exorcist 3 would be a great idea and worthy of a double dip for me.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #199
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

As much as I hate the 2nd film, I'm curious to see the alternate cut that was only available on VHS. Apparently it's quite different in places. If that was ever released on Blu-Ray, I wouldn't spend anymore than a fiver on it, heck that would be pushing it already. All I can asociate with the film is loads of locusts and a very hammy, sweaty Richard Burton shouting eeeeevvviiiillllllll every five seconds.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 03-19-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #200
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Here's some screencaps of the exorcism scenes from the 1997 region 1 DVD. Those capsaholic pics are from the 25th anniversary release with the added blue tint. It seemed to have changed to a more aqua/teal tint on the Blu-Ray though.
Thanks for the pics! The natural colour timing looks much better then the blue tint I have only ever associated to seeing those scenes with. I know those are small pics but the picture quality for a 16 year old DVD release look quite good too!

As for those caps-a-holic comparisons with the 25th anniversary DVD being compared, I had a feeling something wasn't quite right because it looked blueish already at that point which has only been further elaborated on in future releases including the current Blu-Ray.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America