Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Furious 7 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
King Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Fast & Furious 6 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Cult of Chucky (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
47 Ronin (Blu-ray)
$5.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Clock Clock is offline
Junior Member
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
America
1
Default Panasonic Halts Plasma R&D?

Panasonic is reportedly due to halt R&D activities for its plasma TVs to concentrate on developing OLED technology.

After clocking up record losses over the last two years, Panasonic could be seeking to limit any future damage by halting R&D on plasma technology in March 2013. The manufacturer should still carry on selling plasma TVs for a while yet, but this kind of technology clearly has its days numbered. In fact, plasmas could be phased out for good in 2014 to make way for upcoming OLED technology, which boasts all the benefits of plasma and LCD (infinite contrast, wide viewing angles, good response times, etc.) without the drawbacks.

We'll no doubt have to wait until the CES 2013 tech show in two weeks' time for an official response from Panasonic. We'll keep you updated on the matter as soon as we hear more.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...-d-n27529.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Alex_DeLarge Alex_DeLarge is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Alex_DeLarge's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
-
1
Default

There's me just getting ready to swap from LCD to Plasma. I might just move onto plan-B and just go for that LED now.
"Explanation is no good. You have to let them figure it out for themselves"

Stanley Kubrick. RIP
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
kris achar kris achar is offline
Active Member
 
kris achar's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
India
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Panasonic is reportedly due to halt R&D activities for its plasma TVs to concentrate on developing OLED technology.

After clocking up record losses over the last two years, Panasonic could be seeking to limit any future damage by halting R&D on plasma technology in March 2013. The manufacturer should still carry on selling plasma TVs for a while yet, but this kind of technology clearly has its days numbered. In fact, plasmas could be phased out for good in 2014 to make way for upcoming OLED technology, which boasts all the benefits of plasma and LCD (infinite contrast, wide viewing angles, good response times, etc.) without the drawbacks.

We'll no doubt have to wait until the CES 2013 tech show in two weeks' time for an official response from Panasonic. We'll keep you updated on the matter as soon as we hear more.
This comes to me as no surprise.first panasonic bought kuro technology and kept such a fine pattern away from all the plasma Customers/Consumers.And kept on developing its own R&D on plasma.Spending money unwisely.
It should have marketed the same kuro under panasonic brand,which its R&D team did not allow.Now if they are in deep financial trouble who is to be blamed ?
We consumers want rock solid tv units without bugs and pioneer was able to deliver it but at a price.But was not viable then !
Funny fact is they kept on releasing new series like VT20,VT30,VT50.But none could equal the pioneer kuro.And even without perfecting one technology they keep jumping from one product to another.And consumers are made the scape goats.
Multinational companies & Consumer durable giants attitudes must change at least from this year_2013.

Wish you all a happy new year,
kris.
God Is With You !
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler is offline
Power Member
 
Midnight Rambler's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
OH-IO
4
696
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris achar View Post
This comes to me as no surprise.first panasonic bought kuro technology and kept such a fine pattern away from all the plasma Customers/Consumers.And kept on developing its own R&D on plasma.Spending money unwisely.
It should have marketed the same kuro under panasonic brand,which its R&D team did not allow.Now if they are in deep financial trouble who is to be blamed ?
We consumers want rock solid tv units without bugs and pioneer was able to deliver it but at a price.But was not viable then !
Funny fact is they kept on releasing new series like VT20,VT30,VT50.But none could equal the pioneer kuro.And even without perfecting one technology they keep jumping from one product to another.And consumers are made the scape goats.
Multinational companies & Consumer durable giants attitudes must change at least from this year_2013.

Wish you all a happy new year,
kris.
Got a source for this ? Yes, Panny bought SOME of the Pioneer tech, but that's it. And they didn't buy the fab. It took both parts of the equation to produce a Kuro ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris achar View Post
This comes to me as no surprise.first panasonic bought kuro technology and kept such a fine pattern away from all the plasma Customers/Consumers.And kept on developing its own R&D on plasma.Spending money unwisely.
It should have marketed the same kuro under panasonic brand,which its R&D team did not allow.Now if they are in deep financial trouble who is to be blamed ?
We consumers want rock solid tv units without bugs and pioneer was able to deliver it but at a price.But was not viable then !
Funny fact is they kept on releasing new series like VT20,VT30,VT50.But none could equal the pioneer kuro.And even without perfecting one technology they keep jumping from one product to another.And consumers are made the scape goats.
Multinational companies & Consumer durable giants attitudes must change at least from this year_2013.

Wish you all a happy new year,
kris.
I was under the impression that the VT50 had reached KURO type black levels, no? Well if OLED sets carry all the benefits of plasma, minus the threat of burn in then I'll gladly wait on those sets to become affordable.
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."

Last edited by Steelmaker; 01-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
dmaul1114 dmaul1114 is offline
Special Member
 
Jun 2010
241
176
Default

Makes me glad I grabbed the 55" UT50 yesterday as it's the best reviewed PQ I could find in my budget, and it will be quite a while before OLEDs get into my price range. So I'll have a solid TV for several years while OLED tech gets perfected and drops in price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
708
21
Default

If this is true, then plasma is dead (Samsung & LG would be the only two plasma makers).
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Spaulding Spaulding is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2007
Utah
69
270
Default

Sounds like they're not going to research how far they can push plasma past 2012 models. Whatever seems the limit has been reached for plasma with Pioneer Kuro and the VT50 anyway. Time to make OLED something viable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
wormraper wormraper is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona
3852
2
425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
Sounds like they're not going to research how far they can push plasma past 2012 models. Whatever seems the limit has been reached for plasma with Pioneer Kuro and the VT50 anyway. Time to make OLED something viable.
and affordable
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Kirk Out Kirk Out is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kirk Out's Avatar
 
May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca
8
451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding View Post
sounds like they're not going to research how far they can push plasma past 2012 models. Whatever seems the limit has been reached for plasma with pioneer kuro and the vt50 anyway. Time to make oled something viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
and affordable
+1
PSN - RAGEofACHILLES79

R.I.P Ivanseesall

Sony uhd 4k 65xbr850c- Sony ct790 - samsung k8500 4k player - harmony remote 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Special Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
282
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

i've spied 2 plasmas i wanna get here soon. i wonder if i should wait and grab an OLED in 2013..but hte price is probably stupid high for them. Is there a way to watch streaming of CES next week?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
Leeon0 Leeon0 is offline
Active Member
 
Leeon0's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
i've spied 2 plasmas i wanna get here soon. i wonder if i should wait and grab an OLED in 2013..but hte price is probably stupid high for them.
TV sales are dropping in general. Makes sense since many people already have flat-panel TVs and won't be quick to trash yesterday's model for a newer one or for a new technology. After all, they aren't disposable like cellphones. Therefore, when OLED sets hit the market, most people won't jump at them. Accordingly, they will become affordable sooner than later if they are to survive at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Special Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
282
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeon0 View Post
TV sales are dropping in general. Makes sense since many people already have flat-panel TVs and won't be quick to trash yesterday's model for a newer one or for a new technology. After all, they aren't disposable like cellphones. Therefore, when OLED sets hit the market, most people won't jump at them. Accordingly, they will become affordable sooner than later if they are to survive at all.
Yeah, i saw there was an overall drop in tv sales world wide. There is a huge drop off of like 40" and lower if i remember. the only real (healthy?) area is the 50" + which had a 15% increase or so. do you know if oleds will be as crisp as plasma w/ no motion blur?
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
Leeon0 Leeon0 is offline
Active Member
 
Leeon0's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
Yeah, i saw there was an overall drop in tv sales world wide. There is a huge drop off of like 40" and lower if i remember. the only real (healthy?) area is the 50" + which had a 15% increase or so. do you know if oleds will be as crisp as plasma w/ no motion blur?
I'm hoping the picture quality will resemble a direct-view CRT HDTV's more than anything else, offering accurate colors, no motion blur, clear off-angle viewing, and true blacks. Let's not forget that neither LCD nor plasma caught up with the CRT in these areas, even though plasma came close. Despite its limited production, the direct-view CRT HDTV remains at the pinnacle of TV PQ in my opinion, and its only weakness was a limited screen size. If OLED can at least match the CRT for PQ, it will be a giant step forward and then some, given that OLEDs will have much larger screens than CRTs ever did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
My_Two_Cents My_Two_Cents is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
My_Two_Cents's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....
40
461
19
1
4
Default

If this results in OLED sets in the same price/size ratio as current plasmas, then I'm perfectly fine with this move. Even if prices are up to 20% higher, I'm willing to pay for the improvements OLED will bring.
PSN: ricshoe64

Vizio M70-D3 | Marantz SR7010 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Samsung UBD-KM85C
APC H15 | XBox One | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
MasterSandman MasterSandman is offline
Senior Member
 
MasterSandman's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
18
311
5
Send a message via MSN to MasterSandman
Default

Hmmm...2014/2015 may be the time when I'll possibly be looking at a TV upgrade. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Love my Panasonic plasma
TV: Panasonic TC-P55VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V683
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT230
Speakers: Omage X100 (x2), Omage TC5, JBL SP-150 subwoofer
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Arkadin Arkadin is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Arkadin's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-
1
9
Default

lg just released the first consumer 55 inch oled--"only" $10,000.
it is clear that the future is oled, so I say bring it on.
I love my VT50, but would love to see a Panasonic oled also.
makes sense to head in that direction asap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Spaulding Spaulding is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2007
Utah
69
270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSandman View Post
Hmmm...2014/2015 may be the time when I'll possibly be looking at a TV upgrade. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Love my Panasonic plasma

+1 but 2017 i will be looking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
ImStylinOnYaBro ImStylinOnYaBro is offline
Special Member
 
ImStylinOnYaBro's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
5
282
10
1
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
lg just released the first consumer 55 inch oled--"only" $10,000.
it is clear that the future is oled, so I say bring it on.
I love my VT50, but would love to see a Panasonic oled also.
makes sense to head in that direction asap.
rofl, all this new tech that normal consumers can't come close to affording.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
607
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
If this is true, then plasma is dead (Samsung & LG would be the only two plasma makers).
No, no, plasma died in 2009 when Vizio and Pioneer exited the display market don't you remember?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 AM.