Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
18 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
18 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
608
86
197
USA The Paperboy (2012) - January 15, 2013



Quote:
A reporter returns to his Florida hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate.
The Paperboy (BD) - Pre-Order

The Paperboy (BD / DVD / DC) - Pre-Order
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
608
86
197
Default

Has anybody seen this? Is it any good? I'm looking forward to it!

On a side note, the first thing that comes to mind to me is the Full House Theme Song.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
brandon_260 brandon_260 is offline
Special Member
 
brandon_260's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Canada
610
130
9
Default

Pretty terrible film. McConaughey continues his streak of great roles this year, but nearly everyone else is horribly miscast. Lee Daniels is a bad director, as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Veronica Mars Veronica Mars is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Veronica Mars's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
691
121
192
Default

Seems like one of those bad but really good movies. Ebert called it trash, I think, but great trash. I like Nicole so much, I might blind buy the inexpensive one, since I'm probably going to pass on Compliance (my only other bb for the month), because I'm just thinking that even if it's a good film, knowing the real story, it feels more like a rental with little replay value and I'm trying to cut down on those purchases in 2013.

The big question I have is whether or not it's a movie-only version? The features appear to be the same on the Amazon website for both versions, but I have no confidence in what Amazon lists about a movie.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Last edited by Veronica Mars; 01-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
remake remake is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2011
42
160
Default

isn't there sex scenes with Zac Efron? If there is, it's easily worth $14.99 imo
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
The big question I have is whether or not it's a movie-only version? The features appear to be the same on the Amazon website for both versions, but I have no confidence in what Amazon lists about a movie.
This is what I want to know. I really hope somebody can answer it before release date, since I wanted to get it right away. If they have the same bonus material, I only want the regular blu version.

Last edited by Hawkguy; 01-01-2013 at 11:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
isn't there sex scenes with Zac Efron? If there is, it's easily worth $14.99 imo
Don't you mean Matthew McConaughey there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
SwaggerJagger SwaggerJagger is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SwaggerJagger's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
California!
491
59
54
43
Default

might blindbuy this with the u&s
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

Elizabeth Berkeley in
SHOWGIRLS in Dazzling 3D

Merry Christmas B**ch!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
brandon_260 brandon_260 is offline
Special Member
 
brandon_260's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Canada
610
130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
Seems like one of those bad but really good movies. Ebert called it trash, I think, but great trash. I like Nicole so much, I might blind buy the inexpensive one, since I'm probably going to pass on Compliance (my only other bb for the month), because I'm just thinking that even if it's a good film, knowing the real story, it feels more like a rental with little replay value and I'm trying to cut down on those purchases in 2013.

The big question I have is whether or not it's a movie-only version? The features appear to be the same on the Amazon website for both versions, but I have no confidence in what Amazon lists about a movie.

Anyone know? Thanks.
I'm not one to tell people what to do, but I would HIGHLY advise picking up Compliance over this. Compliance is definitely in my top 5 of the year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
MikeScott MikeScott is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MikeScott's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
220
Default

I'm curious if the combo pack has a slip. It looks like it does.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
SwaggerJagger SwaggerJagger is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
SwaggerJagger's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
California!
491
59
54
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeScott View Post
I'm curious if the combo pack has a slip. It looks like it does.
That's making me more tempted to pick up!
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

Elizabeth Berkeley in
SHOWGIRLS in Dazzling 3D

Merry Christmas B**ch!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeScott View Post
I'm curious if the combo pack has a slip. It looks like it does.
Ugh, you're right...and I may just be foolish enough to spend the extra $5 just to have the better looking package
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
608
86
197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
Ugh, you're right...and I may just be foolish enough to spend the extra $5 just to have the better looking package
Ditto!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
dissention dissention is offline
Special Member
 
dissention's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
186
49
Default

Worth buying for Kidman's performance alone. She goes for broke and makes the Charlotte character come fully alive. Her scene with Efron where they're dancing in the rain is one of the finest scenes and she improvised it. It makes me happy that she's getting real awards recognition for her work in this movie.

Personally, I liked the flick and loved what Daniels was trying to do. It's true Southern-fried trash, never pretends to be anything else, and is done with so much style & balls that I couldn't help but fall under the spell it cast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
608
86
197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
It's true Southern-fried trash
Is this movie better than Killer Joe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Cvalda Cvalda is offline
Active Member
 
Cvalda's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
NY
223
47
6
Default

Ebert's review is dead on: this is indeed great trash. Two solid hours of brilliant performances, grotesque sexual depravity, outrageous pretension... and Zac Efron in tighty whiteys in almost *every scene*. There has been nothing like this, not in recent cinema, anyway -- a truly bizarre blend of the genius and the excruciatingly awful, career best performances going up against insanely wrongheaded filmmaking choices, and all of it coming out as a crazed, over-sexed mess that is inexplicably spellbinding. This has "future cult classic" written all over it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Veronica Mars Veronica Mars is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Veronica Mars's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
691
121
192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvalda View Post
Ebert's review is dead on: this is indeed great trash. Two solid hours of brilliant performances, grotesque sexual depravity, outrageous pretension... and Zac Efron in tighty whiteys in almost *every scene*. There has been nothing like this, not in recent cinema, anyway -- a truly bizarre blend of the genius and the excruciatingly awful, career best performances going up against insanely wrongheaded filmmaking choices, and all of it coming out as a crazed, over-sexed mess that is inexplicably spellbinding. This has "future cult classic" written all over it.
You had me at hello.

But when will we know if the "regular" version will have the same special features as the combo pack?

I have the regular version pre-ordered for $14.24 and I'd pay that much to just see Nicole Kidman look hot for 2 hours, but I'll have to get the combo if it's barebones or missing anything.

Last edited by Veronica Mars; 01-05-2013 at 08:30 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Cvalda Cvalda is offline
Active Member
 
Cvalda's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
NY
223
47
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
You had me at hello.
I have the regular version pre-ordered for $14.24 and I'd pay that much to just see Nicole Kidman look hot for 2 hours, but I'll have to get the combo if it's barebones or missing anything.
DVDTalk review.

Doesn't look like it's missing anything extras-wise -- although the combo pack does have the slipcover. Decisions, decisions!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
HorrorBlu HorrorBlu is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
HorrorBlu's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
1388
1
Default

I'm hoping 1994's The Paperboy will make it's blu-ray debut soon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
seeker/destroyer seeker/destroyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2012
90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Is this movie better than Killer Joe?
I'll tell you what, I just saw both of these movies and The Paperboy had the quality acting that was missing from Killer Joe. I liked both movies a lot, but the style of The Paperboy really adds to the film as a whole. It's a slow burn of a movie and when it feels slow it is very deliberately so. Kidman is totally brilliant...I didnt even know it was her til the credits. Cusack is a great decision in casting.

Anyway, is it better than Killer Joe? It is a better movie.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 AM.