Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Nanook of the North / The Wedding of Palo

Nanook of the North / The Wedding of Palo Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

NEWS
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10188

Quote:
Independent U.S. distributors Flicker Alley will release on Blu-ray Robert Joseph Flaherty's Nanook of the North (1922). Also included on this two-disc release is Friedrich Dalsheim's The Wedding of Palo (1934). The preliminary release date set by the distributors is February 26th.

Nanook of the North

Robert Flaherty made this wonderful film of Eskimo (Inuit) life following six years as an Arctic explorer for the Canadian Northern Railway. During journeys often lasting months at a time with only one or two Inuit as companions, he developed a deep regard for these indigenous people and after two unsuccessful filming attempts, Flaherty seized upon the idea of structuring his movie around characters who reenacted episodes of their lives and participated in the shaping of the film. He was not trained as an anthropologist, but Flaherty wisely guides our discovery of the people and their activities, and ninety years later, Nanook remains as completely engaging as it was in 1922, a huge influence on many ethnographic films that followed. This edition is mastered in high definition at the visually correct speed from the painstaking 35mm restoration of 1972, with a lovely orchestral score composed, compiled and conducted by Timothy Brock. Selected for the National Film Registry, 1989.

The Wedding of Palo

Palos Brudefaerd a.k.a The Wedding of Palo (1934), Nanook's obvious successor, is the last beautiful work of the famed Danish polar explorer and anthropologist Dr. Knud Rasmussen. Filmed in sound with an Inuit cast from the Angmagssalik district of east Greenland, Palo, like Nanook, documents a vanished lifestyle and uses Flaherty s device of an appealing narrative; in this case, a story of two men who desire the same woman as wife. It is mastered in high definition and digitally restored from an original 35mm nitrate print in the collection of George Eastman House.

Flicker Alley's Blu-ray release also contains six extraordinary bonus films:

Nanook Revisited (Saumialuk) by Claude Massot, made in the same locations used by Flaherty, shows how Inuit life changed in the intervening decades (it s not that different from ours), how Flaherty consciously depicted a culture which was then already vanishing, and how Nanook is used today to teach the Inuit their heritage. Nanook Revisited was produced in 1988 on standard definition video for French television.
Houses of the Arctic (1928) is the igloo-building sequence of Nanook re-edited and re-titled as an educational film
Arctic Hunt (1913) and extended excerpts from Primitive Love (1927) are by Arctic explorer Frank E. Kleinschmidt
Eskimo Hunters of Northwest Alaska (1949) by Louis de Rochemont shows many activities seen in Nanook thirty years after, and Face of the High Arctic (1959) depicts the ecology of the region.
Pro-B
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

There's something surprising...

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Man, I want a Criterion upgrade.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox, The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

May 2010
Default Nanook has arrived!

After a one week delay in shipping, Nanook arrived last Saturday (3/9) I have not had the opportunity to watch yet, but hopefully tonight'll be the night.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

So the review is out and it's quite complimentary. My question is, is the price likely to go down by 10$ or so in the next 3-4 months or should I grit my teeth and buy this now?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

Feb 2008

Nanook didn't die of starvation. He died of TB years after the film was made.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2010

I watched these two last week, and they are wonderful transfers. The supplementary material is very generous and worthwhile on its own. I doubt this version will ever be topped for this particular film. It's pretty much perfect in every way. Considering the overall running time of the various films on this set, the price isn't at all out of line.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Nanook didn't die of starvation. He died of TB years after the film was made.
http://astro.temple.edu/~ruby/wava/Flaherty/best.html

Quote:
There was a tragic sequel to Nanook of the North which did not appear in the film itself. Some time after Mr. Flaherty departed from the Arctic with his negatives and his prints, the gallant Nanook died of starvation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
So the review is out and it's quite complimentary. My question is, is the price likely to go down by 10$ or so in the next 3-4 months or should I grit my teeth and buy this now?
I definitely think that this is worth getting now. It is a lovely package. And I agree with BigShot, the transfers are very good (not surprising since the Lobster gentlemen were involved with Nanook).

Pro-B
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
http://astro.temple.edu/~ruby/wava/Flaherty/best.html

I definitely think that this is worth getting now. It is a lovely package. And I agree with BigShot, the transfers are very good (not surprising since the Lobster gentlemen were involved with Nanook).

Pro-B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanook_of_the_North

Quote:
Flaherty has been criticized for deceptively portraying staged events as reality.[8] "Nanook" was in fact named Allakariallak (pronounced: [al.la.ka.ɢi.al.lak]), while the "wife" shown in the film was not really his wife. According to Charles Nayoumealuk, who was interviewed in Nanook Revisited (1988), "the two women in Nanook - Nyla (Alice [?] Nuvalinga) and Cunayou (whose real name we do not know) were not Allakariallak's wives, but were in fact common-law wives of Flaherty."[9] And although Allakariallak normally used a gun when hunting, Flaherty encouraged him to hunt after the fashion of his recent ancestors in order to capture the way the Inuit lived before European influence. On the other hand, while Flaherty made his Inuit actors use spears instead of guns during the walrus and seal hunts, the prey shown in the film were genuine, wild animals. Flaherty also exaggerated the peril to Inuit hunters with his claim, often repeated, that Allakariallak had died of starvation two years after the film was completed, whereas in fact he died at home, likely of tuberculosis.[10][11]
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Power Member

Aug 2010

They mention in the supplements that Flaherty attempted to make the film a couple of times. He tried to do a straight documentary with the camera at a respectful distance and the results were poor. Nanook of the North was a success because he involved himself into his subject and invited the characters in the film to contribute ideas about what should be shot and how. Sometimes less real is more real... especially when it comes to film.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

robnix: Yes, I am aware of what is written on Wikipedia, as virtually all of the articles that dispute what the director insisted point to those two links there. Yet this does not disprove that Nanook did not die of starvation. The director knew him. I don't know where this fact that he likely died of tuberculosis is coming from.

The info about Nanook's starvation death is also published by UC Berkeley Library's Media Resources Center:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/reellife/nanook.htm

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America